Go

Go Back   PetFinder.my > The Animal Corner > Cats & Kittens > Health, Disease & Diet

Health, Disease & Diet Find out the best tips and practices on managing your cat's diet, health care, and issues with diseases from our community of animal lovers

Old 11-04-2008, 06:04 PM
Kucing Garong

Bareen is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to Bareen Send a message via Yahoo to Bareen Send a message via Skype™ to Bareen
Default Re: [Dagu Berkarat] Feline Acne, "Kitty Acne"...

The next time you bath your cat, wet the chin first to soften the acne. Keep the chin wet all thru the bath. Apply undiluted shampoo to the chin and carefully rub in and avoid getting into the mouth. Use soft toothbrush to brush and comb the chin. Rinse and repeat the process again.

Wipe the cat chin regularly with white towel even though the chin look clean. Any residue from the chin will shows stains on the white towel. Do not pick or scratch the acne yourself to remove it when it dry and hard. Water and suds will soften and get rid of the grease and it easily be brush off when the chin is wet.
Old 11-04-2008, 09:30 PM
PetFinder Guru

Location: Seri Kembangan, Selangor (Yeah, we got free water!)
sillylupie is on a distinguished road

Blackie, Hehehehe .... ONION has very thick coat, a bit like Blackie.

At the moment, the acne area looks a bit raw and I am hoping for it to dry and fall off soon. I think it can be quite painful if I were to wipe her chin now, and ONION is the type that "struggles", gives u the pitiful look and I'd end up feeling guilty the whole day! :)

Lynie, great if we can compare pics and notes, see what works, what to avoid! ONION's acne start like what you have described, black bits, falling off by itself (or with "help"), but it became worst with the raw looking area and hair falling off!!!

Bareen, thanks for your advice. Do you think I should bath ONION now, or wait till the "acne" dries off first?

sillylupie-shop
http://sillylupie-shop.blogspot.com
Old 11-05-2008, 12:02 AM
Kucing Garong

Send a message via MSN to Bareen Send a message via Yahoo to Bareen Send a message via Skype™ to Bareen

Quote:
Originally Posted by sillylupie View Post
Bareen, thanks for your advice. Do you think I should bath ONION now, or wait till the "acne" dries off first?
The acne wont dries and fall off. Instead it getting thicker and itchier. The thicker it get the more difficult for you to deal with which will later need vet assistant. Your cat may try to scratch the acne off which can cause irritation and rashes which later lead to infection to the skin around the chin.

The point of giving the bath is to soften the acne so that you can wash and brush it off. By wiping with wet towel wont work as the acne need to be soak to soften and loosen it off from the hair shaft.
Old 11-05-2008, 03:30 PM
Pets Are NOT Disposable

FurKids is on a distinguished road

Quote:
FK, I bought a 15kg pack, RAYA promo that came with 4kg FOC....

The colour is just slighty darker, oily and the donut hole is smaller, it smells fresh, so I don't think it has turned bad. Plus, I opened up the 4kg pack, same2 ... phew!

I think they must have changed their manufacturing machine!
No, I think they got several kilang at different places. I have also noticed the slight difference in shapes according to batches which they bring in from time to time. RC ada banyak kilang di banyak negeri. I think the offer batches are from same kilang ... bar code sama.
"We organized in the past to make Trap-Neuter-Return possible. Today, we organize to make Trap-Neuter-Return the norm and to end the unnecessary killing of cats in animal shelters across the country and provide humane care." - Alley Cat Allies
Old 11-05-2008, 10:49 PM
Banned

abgraldo is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Yang Lama dan Yang Baru

Feline Acne
AKA "Kitty Acne" or "Chin Acne"

By Franny Syufy, About.com

Anyone who has wrestled with adolescent acne will remember how difficult it can be to eradicate. Cats are often afflicted with a similar condition, called "feline acne" or, more commonly, "chin acne" or "kitty acne". Like acne in humans, its causes can vary, including food allergies, contact allergies, and (some experts believe), stress.

Plastic food dishes have long been suspected as a culprit in chin acne. Plastic is a magnet for bacteria and dirt that work their way into scratches and nicks, reinfecting your cat and/or spreading bacteria to other cats in the household. Veterinarians and other feline experts recommend using only glass or metal food bowls, and daily washing of those, in order to help prevent this common condition.

So its best that you just change it to the stainless steel bowl, which is cheap also and it is an anti rust, and hygienic...which you can see mostly use in medical practice...

Hehe.. sebagai menyahut seruan Tok Penghulu, announcement of stimulus budget yesterday and Obama victory for a change-change-change, so today my anak2 bulus got new set of dish..hehe..

Yang lama..hehe. Will do for my maggi...Dont worry Bina..i'll use fork n spoon, tak hirup kuah tu..hehe..

Jeng3x..hehe. Bling2 lagi... RM 18.00 jer seme tu. Perasan tak ada satu extra yg kecik kat atas tu... Maybe Nurul faham kenapa..hehe Kelakarnyer...Bila tukar tadi, my cats got so excited of the new dish.. terus jer gi makan.. maybe they thought new dish new menu..hehe.

Last edited by abgraldo; 11-06-2008 at 06:03 AM.
Old 11-07-2008, 09:20 PM
Petfinder Moderator

blackie007 has disabled reputation

I bought a stainless steel food bowl from Petsmore today. But, Blackie is afraid of the bowl! He walked up to it, investigated it, then slinked backwards with tail tucked under in fear.

Until now, he still hasn't eaten. He hasn't had his lunch or dinner yet. I tried hand-feeding him, but he took one look at the bowl and crept fearfully away. I took a look at the bowl just now, and realised one thing....he can see his reflection from the shiny surface!!

OMG! He is so suaku. I guess I'll have to switch back to the plastic bowl if he still refuses to eat later tonight. But I've always wash the plastic bowl at least once a day with hot water so I guess it should be ok.
Old 11-07-2008, 11:01 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackie007 View Post
I bought a stainless steel food bowl from Petsmore today. But, Blackie is afraid of the bowl! He walked up to it, investigated it, then slinked backwards with tail tucked under in fear.

Until now, he still hasn't eaten. He hasn't had his lunch or dinner yet. I tried hand-feeding him, but he took one look at the bowl and crept fearfully away. I took a look at the bowl just now, and realised one thing....he can see his reflection from the shiny surface!!

OMG! He is so suaku. I guess I'll have to switch back to the plastic bowl if he still refuses to eat later tonight. But I've always wash the plastic bowl at least once a day with hot water so I guess it should be ok.
Hehe.. so suaku haah (what is suaku actually..). My all cats happily eating with new steel dish.. no problem at all. Even the drink dish, i notice banyak gak dia org minum..hehe. No problem Charlene, as long u wash the dish daily, plastic bowl should be okay..
Old 11-07-2008, 11:08 PM
Petfinder Moderator

pakcu.........suaku = katak dibawah tin milo....heheheh

pakcu lucky...your cats bukan suaku mcm blackie I.... yup, if tonight before i sleep, he won't eat, i'll switch back to plastic bowl.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abgraldo View Post
Hehe.. so suaku haah (what is suaku actually..). My all cats happily eating with new steel dish.. no problem at all. Even the drink dish, i notice banyak gak dia org minum..hehe. No problem Charlene, as long u wash the dish daily, plastic bowl should be okay..
Old 11-08-2008, 10:25 AM
PetFinder Guru

Hey Blackie, read from another thread that Blackie has started eating from his "stainless steel" bowl?? Hehehehe ... good, good!

I guess, Blackie has never eating from a "thing" that is so "bling bling" and "reflective"

Pakcu, your "stainless steel bowls" tu, sebijik macam I punya "bowl" makan kat rumah! Hahahah .... terasa macam kucing now....

sillylupie-shop
Old 11-08-2008, 05:54 PM
PetFinder Guru

I noticed mild zits on Ginger's chin now! Gosh! Are the kittens reaching puberty ar?? Aiyoo.....
I gave Ginger a bath, but couldn't remove the black bits ... maybe it is not wet enough.

Anyway, this is his first bath and he did well!!! Only gave out loud meows maybe twice and he was such a good boy when I was trying to dry him!!
Unlike his mother and TIGER who give me the "I hate u" and "Get away from me" looks!

sillylupie-shop
Old 11-08-2008, 11:55 PM
Petfinder Moderator

Yup, Bina, Blackie has finally started eating from his stainless steel bowl. It was quite amusing. I think he must have been really hungry, since he didn't eat lunch or dinner. He crept towards the bowl with his tail lowered to the ground (u know, the scared body language), bent down, took a kibble and then quickly backed away, keeping his eyes on the bowl.

He repeated that once more, before deciding that the reflection in the bowl was not going to bite his head off, and only started eating normally then.

OMG! Ginger has zits now, too? Oh dear. I think maybe you might want to stop the oil you're feeding them leh....or is Onion spreading it to Ginger? Are they rubbing cheeks with each other?

Wah, you're so lucky that your cats are so well-behaved when it comes to baths. Even dirty looks are better than my Blackie who causes a tsunami in my home when I give him his baths. He has learned how to open the shower screen door,and would dash out with water dripping all over my bathroom floor.

Quote:
Hey Blackie, read from another thread that Blackie has started eating from his "stainless steel" bowl?? Hehehehe ... good, good!

I guess, Blackie has never eating from a "thing" that is so "bling bling" and "reflective"

Pakcu, your "stainless steel bowls" tu, sebijik macam I punya "bowl" makan kat rumah! Hahahah .... terasa macam kucing now....
Quote:
I noticed mild zits on Ginger's chin now! Gosh! Are the kittens reaching puberty ar?? Aiyoo.....
I gave Ginger a bath, but couldn't remove the black bits ... maybe it is not wet enough.

Anyway, this is his first bath and he did well!!! Only gave out loud meows maybe twice and he was such a good boy when I was trying to dry him!!
Unlike his mother and TIGER who give me the "I hate u" and "Get away from me" looks!
Old 11-09-2008, 12:00 AM
Banned

Quote:

Hehe.. terasa mcm kucing still ok.. jgn lak terasa mcm that dish.. wakaka..
Old 11-09-2008, 05:22 PM
PetFinder Guru

Default Thanks Bareen!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bareen View Post
The next time you bath your cat, wet the chin first to soften the acne. Keep the chin wet all thru the bath. Apply undiluted shampoo to the chin and carefully rub in and avoid getting into the mouth. Use soft toothbrush to brush and comb the chin. Rinse and repeat the process again.

Wipe the cat chin regularly with white towel even though the chin look clean. Any residue from the chin will shows stains on the white towel. Do not pick or scratch the acne yourself to remove it when it dry and hard. Water and suds will soften and get rid of the grease and it easily be brush off when the chin is wet.
Bareen, today, I, somehow, has the courage to bath ONION!!
Thanks for your advice!
Managed to remove most of the black bits and her chin look clean and good now!!

sillylupie-shop
Old 11-10-2008, 12:07 AM
Petfinder Moderator

Default Re: Thanks Bareen!

Very glad to hear that, Bina.

Quote:
Thanks for your advice!
Old 11-10-2008, 09:44 AM
Kucing Garong

Default Re: Thanks Bareen!

Quote:
Thanks for your advice!
Occasionally, wipe ONION's chin with wet towel. On each bath you still need to shampoo the chin to get rid of the grease stain.
Old 08-31-2009, 07:54 AM
PetFinder Guru

adamyala is on a distinguished road

Hmmm...my fruti has started to show a sign of kitty acne. Her chin fur is now with bald patches, with dark, tiny dirt-like thing. Lucky to have this thread to refer to regarding this problem
Old 10-12-2009, 02:42 PM
Furkid Bestie

chibimoruku is on a distinguished road

thanks for the thread! i have two cats i.e. boo and junior, since boo's chin is yellow/orange in colour i didn't notice the dirt. Plus i've seen pictures of feline acne and i thought it would be reddish and there's scab under the chin.

it's not until i saw it under junior's chin that i checked boo's chin. OMG gila teruk, the dirt is like.. how to describe, rase geram nak korek/cabut then i went online and found out that peroxide boleh solve the problem. And i buat general search cakap dettol is one source of peroxide (pandai kan, at this point i dunno dettol is toxic to cats!)

then i guna tooth brush apply the dettol solution (very thin) to boo's chin, after dat only i realised it's toxic (slammed head at the wall), at that time baru nak buang the solution and guess wat? i saw boo's licking the liquid dalam baldi

takut gila boo mati, satu malam asyik tengok je, thank god he's ok, g jumpe vet the next day, die bg this solution, setiap malam kene sapu, now dh sikit but ade debris lagi. junior punya langsung tak teruk (he's a good abang, he wants to show me that his adik got the acne!)

so now i changed all the bowls to stainless steel, mahal kene beli 4 (each rm15) sayang punya pasal.. haha

but the sayang part is that i think the cause is the water fountain, so now i dh simpan balik and resort to water bowl jadi hiasan je la dat fountain