Go

Go Back   PetFinder.my > The Animal Corner > Cats & Kittens > Health, Disease & Diet

Health, Disease & Diet Find out the best tips and practices on managing your cat's diet, health care, and issues with diseases from our community of animal lovers

Old 08-25-2008, 12:41 PM
Tok Penghulu

Penghulu is on a distinguished road
Default About Cats Gum And Teeth care

A Cat's Teeth: Timetable and Functions

During its lifetime, a cat has two sets of teeth, a deciduous set and a permanent set. Kittens have 26 deciduous teeth (molars are absent); adult cats have a total of 30 teeth.

Deciduous or “milk teeth” begin to appear when the kitten is about four weeks of age. At six weeks of age all 26 deciduous teeth are present. From 11 to 30 weeks of age, kittens lose their deciduous teeth. During this time they may eat less because of sore gums.

When the deciduous teeth fall out, they are replaced by 30 permanent teeth. The permanent teeth should be in place by about six months of age.

A cat's teeth are well-suited to rip and cut. Twelve tiny teeth in the front of the mouth (incisors): six in the upper jaw, six in the lower jaw do some scraping. They are flanked by two upper and two lower canines, sometimes described as “fangs,” designed to hold prey and to tear flesh. Ten sharp premolars and four molars act together to cut food.

A cat occasionally retains a deciduous tooth after the permanent tooth appears. This deciduous tooth should be removed as soon as possible to avoid displacing the permanent tooth.

Extra teeth are occasionally found in cats. They should be removed by a veterinarian if they cause crowding or injury to soft tissue or other teeth.

Provided by: Purina

================================================== =========

How To Examine Your Cat's Teeth and Gums
By Franny Syufy, About.com

A critical part of a dental care program for cats is routine at-home examination of his teeth and gums. Here are tips for making it easy on both of you.

Difficulty: Average

Time Required: 1-2 minutes 2-3 times monthly

Here's How:

Smell your cat's breath. An unpleasant odor can indicate infection of
the gums and/or bone. After eliminating dental problems,
check with your vet for other causes.

While quietly talking to your cat, from his back side, tip his head back slightly.

Using your thumb and index finger, spread the side of his mouth open. Make sure you have a good light.

Look at his back teeth for yellowing (plaque) or darker material (tartar). Check for cracked or broken teeth. Observe the color of the gums - they should be a healthy pink, not an angry red or a pale pink.

Repeat step 4 with the front teeth, then move to the other side of the mouth.

Look into the back of the cat's throat for redness, especially "cobblestone" in appearance. This is a sign of stomatitis, a serious and painful condition usually found in older cats. An angled dental mirror will help here.

If at any time your cat fights your attention, give it up and try another day.

Reward your cat with a treat. A dental chew would be an excellent choice.

Once you and your cat are comfortable with this procedure, make it a regular practice (at least once a month.)

Follow up with a veterinary exam once a year, or twice a year if your cat has previous dental problems.

Tips:

It may be easier to have a partner hold the cat's mouth open while you examine the oral cavity.

Choose a comfortable spot with good lighting. A small penlight would be an asset.

================================================== ===========

What to Look for When Examining Your Cat's Teeth

It's easy to recognize if your cat has a broken leg, but how about a broken tooth? You would think pets would stop eating when they had oral problems. Unfortunately, this is not usually the case. By the time most owners recognize oral disease in their pets, the problem is chronic and progressive.
So what can a loving cat owner do?
Monthly examinations of your cat's mouth are easy and can be rewarding. If you are not sure, check with your veterinarian to make sure your cat is friendly enough for a safe oral exam. It is best to place your cat on a well lit sturdy table. Exams performed on the floor can be difficult and unrewarding. A brief oral exam should only take a minute or two. Most pets are easy to work with. If your cat growls anytime during the exam or seems irritated, it would be wise to stop.
Before opening your cat's mouth, examine the face for swelling, especially below the eyes. Frequently a broken upper fourth premolar tooth will cause an abscess that may spread below either eye. Fractures of the upper canines (fang or eye teeth) can also cause swelling on top of the nose. Next, feel around the neck below the ears. Abnormal swelling of this area can occur from infection, cancer, or inflammation.
Next, take a whiff of your pet's breath. How? Gently pull the lips back to expose the side of your pet's teeth and gums. If there is a foul odor, care is often needed. Since cats cannot brush their own teeth, gingivitis and periodontitis are the most common diseases affecting our feline friends. Reddening of the tissue where the gum meets the tooth may represent inflammation, infection, or trauma. In cases of advanced periodontitis, there may also be bleeding and discharge from the gums. Treatment of gingivitis consists of cleaning and polishing the teeth to remove built up plaque. Depending on the degree of periodontal disease, surgery may also be needed to remove pockets that develop around teeth. Daily brushing is usually easy and essential to control gingivitis.
Examine the teeth for fractures. Unfortunately, cats sometimes eat things that are not tooth friendly. If the object chewed is harder than the tooth, fracture may occur. Broken teeth with nerve exposure will usually result in an infection at the tooth's tip. Food and bacteria will travel down the root and may eventually affect your cat's heart, liver, and kidneys. Fractured teeth are treated by replacing the infected nerve with material that fills the tooth, and seals the open hole. Crowns are placed on top of the repaired teeth for protection.
Gently press on the teeth and note any movement. Loose teeth should be reported to your veterinarian. If your pet’s teeth are not routinely brushed, periodontal disease and loose teeth will usually occur. Bacteria by- products under the gum line destroy the bone that holds teeth in their sockets, creating loose teeth. Eating with loose teeth can become uncomfortable for your pet. The front incisor teeth are usually affected before the back teeth. Treatment is available to try to save loose teeth.
Many cats older than 5 years old will have cavities. Cats' mouths should be examined for cavities. They commonly occur at the gum line. If your cat will allow it, gently press a cotton swab to the gum line around the outside of the teeth. If your cat starts quivering and chattering, there is probably a cavity. Cavities are painful and should be either filled or the tooth should be extracted. Oral growths may be benign or cancerous. Some tumors occur at the gum line while others are found below the tongue or on the inside of the cheeks. Hopefully, immediate care may result in a cure.

Monthly oral exams can uncover hidden disease. The more you look, the more you may find. When problems are noted, your veterinarian should be called in for a closer exam and treatment. In the long run your cat will probably live a longer and happier life, and would thank you.

By Jan Bellows D.V.M. DipAVDC
All Pets Dental Clinic
Date Published: 6/27/2002 2:59:00 PM
Date Reviewed/Revised: 05/29/2007
Copyright 2002, Veterinary Information Network & Jan Bellows, D.V.M. Dipl. AVDC

MJ
Old 08-25-2008, 12:54 PM
Tok Penghulu

Default Re: About Cats Gum And Teeth care

=============================================

==============================================

MJ

Last edited by Penghulu; 08-25-2008 at 12:56 PM.
Old 08-30-2008, 09:42 AM
PetFinder Buddy

Chitam is on a distinguished road

uihhh... byk rupo ehh gigi dio... chitam da pandai makan pakai gigi yang lagi sebelah... walau pun gigi lom tumbuh lagi... tapi dia kuat makan jugak... bley tahan gak laaa mentedarah...500gm BW tahan 3-4 days..tak sampai seminggu pun... [kongsi ngan olen & cik embong laa..]
Tiger, Kabu & Gemuk - Domestic Medium Hair
Old 08-30-2008, 11:51 AM
Tok Penghulu

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chitam View Post
uihhh... byk rupo ehh gigi dio... chitam da pandai makan pakai gigi yang lagi sebelah... walau pun gigi lom tumbuh lagi... tapi dia kuat makan jugak... bley tahan gak laaa mentedarah...500gm BW tahan 3-4 days..tak sampai seminggu pun... [kongsi ngan olen & cik embong laa..]
Kau nengok kan gusi kucing tu selalu...esok kot radang nanti dah satu hal lak...lagi susah dio nak makan...gigi dio bilo nak tumbuh samo lah cito ehh macam manusio...boleh bongkak gusi di buek ehh...Kalau ado sonang tu di tumbuk lah kibbles ehh tu haluih haluih..biar sonang nak kunyah..yo

MJ
Old 12-01-2009, 12:33 PM
~feline attaché

nurkasih is on a distinguished road

Nak kena revive topic nieh

setelah sekian lama tak jenguk vet, i perasan my 2 cats are prone to tar tar kat gigi n leads to bad breath. Masalah pun lain2.. Bob makan rc dari kecik sampai skrg pun makan rc hair n skin yang sepatutnya ada dental benefit tapi dia ada tar tar. Mulut busuk.. Bawak vet.. Dia kata ada tar tar n just bagitau dulu ada product cuci gigi tapi skrg dah tak der n x rekomen apa pun nak baikkan tar2 tueh. I am yet to get second opinion nway.

Boy lak.. Tar2 jugak sbb most of the time dia telan makanan dia. Gigi x pakai. Aduyaiii.. I try nak order rc oral density tapi pet shop kata only vets boley order tapi most vets here hanya carry science plan. Katanya susah nak deal ngan salesman. Apart from dat.. I da try greeny treats for dental health.. Sama ja..

Any suggestion? What about raw food? Nak bagi makan camana ekk?
Old 12-01-2009, 06:30 PM
Animal Lover

June is on a distinguished road
Default About Cats Gum And Teeth care

kasih,your cats kena gingivitis kot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nurkasih View Post

setelah sekian lama tak jenguk vet, i perasan my 2 cats are prone to tar tar kat gigi n leads to bad breath. Masalah pun lain2.. Bob makan rc dari kecik sampai skrg pun makan rc hair n skin yang sepatutnya ada dental benefit tapi dia ada tar tar. Mulut busuk.. Bawak vet.. Dia kata ada tar tar n just bagitau dulu ada product cuci gigi tapi skrg dah tak der n x rekomen apa pun nak baikkan tar2 tueh. I am yet to get second opinion nway.

Boy lak.. Tar2 jugak sbb most of the time dia telan makanan dia. Gigi x pakai. Aduyaiii.. I try nak order rc oral density tapi pet shop kata only vets boley order tapi most vets here hanya carry science plan. Katanya susah nak deal ngan salesman. Apart from dat.. I da try greeny treats for dental health.. Sama ja..

Old 12-02-2009, 12:04 AM
~feline attaché

Quote:
Originally Posted by June View Post
kasih,your cats kena gingivitis kot.
yerlah kot kak june. Tapi vet yang bley pakai pun cam tak ley pakai. Dia x suggest apa2 pun. Kalau g teeth cleaning berkesan tak
Old 12-02-2009, 12:29 AM
PetFinder Guru

Zarul is on a distinguished road

kasih, u gi vet mana?
Old 12-02-2009, 12:41 AM
~feline attaché

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarul View Post
kasih, u gi vet mana?
bawak g Peng Aunlah..dia kata camtuelah... dulu ada product untuk cuci ..sekarang dah tak kuar dah product tue... pastue dia keluar g jawab tepon kot..then masuk balik lupa da.. dia bagi malaseb untuk boy jer.. yang gigi tueh.. takder suggestion aper pun...

So dah tak puas hati.. ingat nak tukar vet lagi.. bawak g Gill Veterinary Clinic.. biarlah mahal pun.. at least diorang ada buat dental cleaning service ( according to websitelah)..
Old 12-14-2009, 03:29 PM
Furkid Bestie

chibimoruku is on a distinguished road

Quote:
yerlah kot kak june. Tapi vet yang bley pakai pun cam tak ley pakai. Dia x suggest apa2 pun. Kalau g teeth cleaning berkesan tak
ade pernah try satu liquid ni tak? die prevent tar tar build up and gingervitis, kat pet shop ade, kaler hijau/biru. the ingredients ade peroxide (but kurang dr ubat gigi kite) i try pakai botol kecik dulu but so far mcm ok, nnt kalau sempat i'll post the pic
Old 12-14-2009, 03:47 PM
~feline attaché

Quote:
Originally Posted by chibimoruku View Post
ade pernah try satu liquid ni tak? die prevent tar tar build up and gingervitis, kat pet shop ade, kaler hijau/biru. the ingredients ade peroxide (but kurang dr ubat gigi kite) i try pakai botol kecik dulu but so far mcm ok, nnt kalau sempat i'll post the pic
Thanks a lot
Old 12-14-2009, 10:46 PM
Furkid Bestie

this is the liquid i was telling you abt
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	14122009129.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	24.4 KB
ID:	8479   Click image for larger version

Name:	14122009130.jpg
Views:	154
Size:	26.1 KB
ID:	8480  
Old 12-16-2009, 10:17 AM
~feline attaché

Quote:
this is the liquid i was telling you abt
Tar tar ilang meh? Mana u beli. My usual pet shop asanya tak da sbb da penah tanya product untuk dental. Btw, i think its worth a try
Old 12-16-2009, 10:29 AM
Furkid Bestie

Quote:
Tar tar ilang meh? Mana u beli. My usual pet shop asanya tak da sbb da penah tanya product untuk dental. Btw, i think its worth a try
kat pet lovers centre, die ade kat sunway pyramid and kat ikano, tak perasan la plak kedai lain ade tak, botol kecik tu 10.90, kalau besau rm22+ tak silap.

my cat tade problem tar tar tp saje je nak prevent sbb kesian dgr org cite kucing die kene cabut gigi sume
Old 12-16-2009, 10:35 AM
~feline attaché

Quote:
kat pet lovers centre, die ade kat sunway pyramid and kat ikano, tak perasan la plak kedai lain ade tak, botol kecik tu 10.90, kalau besau rm22+ tak silap.

my cat tade problem tar tar tp saje je nak prevent sbb kesian dgr org cite kucing die kene cabut gigi sume
Owhh ok takperlah. T i consult vet dulu. Sbb memang my 2 babies tueh memang prone to getting tar tar
Old 12-16-2009, 05:11 PM
~feline attaché

Tadi g pet shop... orang pet shop tue cakap yang u rekemen tue (chibimaruku) ... itu untuk bad breath... sbb campurkan dalam air kan.. so dia bagi sayer cam ubat gigi.. letak gel kat gigi kucing.. tapi dia rekemen sayer soh g cuci gigi kat vet dulu... dah gel tue mungkin bagus untuk maintain...

Lelain..ada tak experience pasal cuci gigi nieh..sbb diaorang kena pengsankan.. ada side effect tak..
Old 12-16-2009, 09:57 PM
PetFinder Guru

kuntum is on a distinguished road

Quote:

Sama lah dengan saya...saya pun berkira2 nak beli RC Oral Sensitivity ni tapi kat Petshop yang saya selalu pun tak carry. Saya nak bagi untuk prevent tar2 built-up..
Old 12-16-2009, 10:02 PM
PetFinder Guru

Quote:

chibimoruku,
Kat Pets Lover Centre tu ada tak RC Oral Sensitivity?
Old 12-16-2009, 11:57 PM
~feline attaché

Quote:
Originally Posted by kuntum View Post
chibimoruku,
Kat Pets Lover Centre tu ada tak RC Oral Sensitivity?
My usual pet shop kater... oral sensitivity termasuk dalam vet controlled diet.. So hanya vet sahaja yang boleh bagi... itu al kisahnya lah..
Old 12-17-2009, 12:03 AM
PetFinder Guru

Quote:
My usual pet shop kater... oral sensitivity termasuk dalam vet controlled diet.. So hanya vet sahaja yang boleh bagi... itu al kisahnya lah..
Oh ye ke, kasih. Petshop yang saya selalu pegi tu pun clinic sekali..pun tak carry juga...