Go

Go Back   PetFinder.my > Pet Welfare, Rescue & Adoption > Animal Organizations & Societies > SPCA

SPCA All discussions and information related to the non-profit SPCA organization. SPCA is the Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals.

Old 04-16-2009, 08:58 AM
Pets Are NOT Disposable

FurKids is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Spca ampang in need of more adopters...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsdolittle View Post
These kind of "SO CALLED ADULT" NEEDS EDUCATION BADLY... THEY CAN ACTUALLY LEARN FROM THEIR OWN CHILDREN...
Yes they can but they are not doing it and the children are learning from them ... that it is alright to pick up a whole litter of newly born kittens into a plastic bag and dump them into the drain or garbage bin ... that it is alright to quietly sneak up on a cat and give it a hard kick in the belly ... that it is alright to throw big sticks at the cats sleeping under the cars on the road (hey, they have not right to enter your view of sight at all! ZERO STRAYS!) hoping that some get hit on the head hard enough to die or some tiny legs do get fractured or broken so that it will be easier to attack them the next time as they will not be able to run away fast enough for dear life ... that cats should be starved to death so that there will be no cats around, only humans ... the list goes on ....

In reality, the children are learning from the adults, not the other way around ... learning to maim and kill ... at a young and tender impressionable age in their formative years ...

... and that is why it is essential that the awareness education be targeted at the adults (HK SPCA is doing this in the community) and not school kids.

And having successfully created an environment and community which is animal tolerant and strays tolerant (which accepts having managed strays colonies living amongst the community), the effectiveness of TNR was fully realised with the outcome that HK SPCA no longer needed to carry out the cruel and inhumane act of killing off healthy animals in the shelter to make way for new ones brought in because they could finally control the strays reproduction problem, effectively reducing the number of strays through TNR + adult awareness education programs held amongst the residential community.
Quote:
We can do it June, not going to "THAT NON LOVING ANIMAL" NEIGHBOR, but to pass out flyers and leaflets into the mail boxes... complain made to SPCA about "CATS BEING NUISANCE".
Kak Anum, you put "Please adopt ... animals are suffering" flyers into an animal intolerant human punya mailbox she will just use it to bungkus nasi dagang ... or it goes straight into her "old newspapah" pile for sale (buat dia lagik kaya), buat habis duit donation buat printing aje ... Kak Anum kena pep talk her, the building management, residential community committee which will in turn neutralise and promote an animal tolerant community ... adakan mesyuarat dan buat taklimat utk setiap residential community committee.
"We organized in the past to make Trap-Neuter-Return possible. Today, we organize to make Trap-Neuter-Return the norm and to end the unnecessary killing of cats in animal shelters across the country and provide humane care." - Alley Cat Allies

Last edited by FurKids; 04-16-2009 at 09:19 AM.
Old 04-16-2009, 11:00 AM
Animal Lover

kimimaro84 is on a distinguished road

Heres something for everybody

Let me tell you something you already know. The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It is a very mean and nasty place and it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't about how hard you hit; it's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward. How much you can take, and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done. Now, if you know what you're worth, then go out and get what you're worth. But you gotta be willing to take the hit, and not pointing fingers saying you ain't where you are because of him, or her, or anybody. Cowards do that and that ain't you. You're better than that!
-Rocky Balboa-

Old 04-16-2009, 11:15 AM
Pets Are NOT Disposable

Thanks Kimi ...

I got something for everyone too:

THE POWER OF LATERAL THINKING

When the Americans started their space exploration program, they faced a peculiar problem. The ordinary pen could not be used in the space because of lack of gravitational pull. So they spent around 10 million dollars to invent a pen that could be used at space, under the water etc. The time taken by Americans to invent this “wonder pen” was around five years.

The Russians at that time were also doing some space exploration and they faced the same problem as encountered by the Americans (lack of suitable pen to write in space). But they did not try to invent any so called “wonder pen”. They adopted another approach. Guess what they did?

The answer is very simple. THEY USED A PENCIL. That is what we call LATERAL THINKING or right brain thinking. So let us start using our right brain right now.
"We organized in the past to make Trap-Neuter-Return possible. Today, we organize to make Trap-Neuter-Return the norm and to end the unnecessary killing of cats in animal shelters across the country and provide humane care." - Alley Cat Allies
Old 04-16-2009, 01:54 PM
Animal Lover

animaluver is on a distinguished road
Unhappy Re: Spca ampang in need of more adopters...

Quote:
Dear friends,

Firstly i would like to wish everybody a very good day. What I am about to type here is totally sincere and honestly came from the bottom of my heart....

We have read about so many threads "hantam - ing" most of the "ANIMAL SHELTER" in Malaysia, but most of the time we end up arguing without thinking about the time wasted during the sessions, instead having saving so many sheltered animals lives.

So, here I am calling everybody in every part of the world who is reading this thread to pay a / several visit(s), or take a vacation (as Ezer once said) to any of the shelters to adopt and safe a life or lives....

Why am i saying this? Actions has to come from we people who claimed that we care for the life of another being.

MOST OF US HERE DISAGREE WITH PUTTING THESE CRETURE TO SLEEP, so come on people stand up for the animal rights. How? Be there at the enterance door and STOP THOSE PEOPLE FROM HANDING THE ANIMALS TO THE SHELTER. LISTEN TO THEIR EXCUSES AND CONVINCE THEM TO KEEP OR ADOPT THESE ANIMALS FOR THEMSELVES OR EVEN GIVE THEM AWAY AS A PRESENT.

Instead of buying expensive toys, jewellary, bla... bla...bla... and etc., give them, these "GOD'S CREATION" (life) as a present. A LIFE TO LOVE... LIFE IS BEAUTIFUL... if you choose a beautiful way of living it. It can also be vise versa, but thats not wise.

It would be really nice to see MORE ADOPTERS coming in and adopt, instead of pointing fingers about who is right or wrong... ITS ABOUT THE CHOICE WE MAKE... THATS THE DIFFERENCE....

SO? WHAT IS YOUR CHOICE? TO MAKE A DIFFERENCE OR SIT DOWN AND WHINING....

HAVE A WONDERFUL DAY AND LIFE PEOPLE...

LOVE
mrsdolittle
Kak Anum orang bukan suka-suka nak hantam Animal Shelter but they are sometimes in a shock what Animal Shelter do to the voiceless and homeless. Take for eg saya . I was complete loss bila saya terdapat one homeless and voiceless telah beranak di depan rumah orang. Tentulah sebagai seorang yang compassionate saya bagilah dia makan tetapi ada yang complain pula lalu di tangkap ke DBKL. Saya pula pergi bayar kompaun bawa ke Animal Shelter thinking that it is a save place for them
Saya pun panic bila nampak banyak yang perlu di adopt sana saya pun create a petfinder account so that chances of adoption lebih bagus.. Anak-anak lucky,comel senang diadopt. Maknya yang kesian. I on and off visitnya, Photo pun di Petfinder dan,promotenya by word of mouth also ,Dalam satu visit bila saya membawa potential adopter untuk melihatnya TAK DAPAT saya findnya. I panic. Don’t tell me what people tell me is TRUE. , TRUE enough hati saya stop… tak henti-henti saya menangis..I have sent her to her death bed! I TOLD YOU SO keep ringing in my ears. I refused to believe people who has warn me(Why so many people warm me? They kena the same treatment too!) Kalau muka voiceless ini tidak cute, lovable,depressed looking to the people there, Habislah dia! Bukan EUTHANASIA ! but PUT TO SLEEP in nice words(KILLED)!! NO CHANCE given!
I know everywhere pun short of staff but that doesn’t mean that they have to be so cold to the yang unadoptable.
I believe why are there so many independent rescuers who fork out their own money and their effortto save these animals are because they tak mahu hantarnya ke mati lagi .Mereka cuba save them tapi malangnya strays susah ditangkap dan di spayed tanpa bantuan professional macam SPCA.
And in the end breeding doesn’t stop. Mind you a lot of rescuers are elderly citizens who cannot afford and bring these voiceless to spay and end up more innocents voiceless They are compassionate but lack of space and resources to help them and end up breeding them instead!
I too pay a high price(a life of a depressed and abandoned voiceless) for lesson learnt.Through her I get to understand more about rescuers and their efforts.
Sakit hati saya pun tak mahu cakap lagi. May she rest in peace after all what she went through and hope she blessed in her next life…..
Old 04-16-2009, 02:23 PM
Animal Lover

animaluver is on a distinguished road
Unhappy Re: Spca ampang in need of more adopters...

Quote:
Originally Posted by bbpie View Post
terlepas pandang plak post kakak dolittle...heheh..me not pure kelantanese..half breed.. my dad kelantan so jatuh la ke anak dia xleh pisoh ngan budu!

its great to know about what ur doin in spca sis, i do believe we need more ppl like u around.

i had some fond memories of spca from my younger days. dulu kat spca bule sunat anak2 bulu kan. i remember this mat saleh doc kat situ, very nice old man, big too (well, i was like 8 years old at that time heheheh) this nice dr explained to me about d benefits of kembiri, vaccination n such. he also tolong sunatkan my big timothy@timmy. i think mase tuh i was d only one in my neighbourhood that had a cat with no balls..

over d years i shied away from spca, for one reason or another. my last visit was like 5 years ago when i took ketot who was then just a little baby, mata pun xbuka lagi. i was disturbed with what i saw that day honestly. d girl at d desk was crying, another lady was shouting at her. and it was so so tense in that place. n there i stood looking at them not knowing what to do. in d end i walked out n never came back.

merapu plak haku arini :) just wanted to share my personal experience. my sincere hope is that spca has today changed for d better. n hopefully continue to progress. everyday lalu balik keje situ tgh there is always a crowd. hopefully one day, i will have d guts to actually stop by again..
I believe i am the one crying over there though no one shouted at me. I just burst out crying loud couldnt and refuse to hear what was told to me.....i just felt so sad and guilty at tht moment......
Old 04-16-2009, 02:57 PM
Pets Are NOT Disposable

Animaluver, your post buat saya nangis (I don't care dan saya tak malu nangis) sebab my friends and I went through the very same thing ... kucing kurang comei, bulu tak cukup panjang in some human punyer myopic eyes ... tapi healthy and given a death sentence not allowed to live simply because it did not have a human house address.

My friends and I trapped, neutered and released and put in efforts to set up feeding stations in as discrete places as possible and tidy up the place every single day, but as you know ... 2-leggeds are everywhere ... and they act as if the whole earth belongs to them (2-leggeds alone) and no extra legs are allowed ... they are a NUISANCE!

Food and food bowls (we buy with our own hard earned $$ and we share our rezeki with them that are less fortunate than us and cannot stand up for their rights and have no voice!) are simply thrown away ... let them starve to death, say those cold-hearted 2-leggeds (ramai skolah sampai ke universiti!).

Caregivers are scolded and threatened ...

That is why the modern SPCAs like in Hong Kong go out with well-designed programs strategically planned to convert the mindset of the adults in the community and create a condusive environment in order to let the healthy strays (tak comei tak aper, they have the right to life amongst us in our community) live in managed stray colonies.

Animaluver, to trap the strays is not impossible but takes a LOT of time, patience and love ... spend time feeding at the same place and at the same time, don't drop food and simply go away ... spend time sitting there quietly and whisper soft, gently words of love to them ...

I personally have spent up to more than 1 year sitting, feeding and talking gently to 4 very, very, very feral female cats every single day rain or shine, working day or weekends, public holiday or not ... before I could gain their trust and confidence to enter my cat carrier to eat so that I could close the door successfully on them, immediately cover the whole carrier with a curtain and tie up the carrier door with a nylon rope for extra security ... and zasssssss!!!!

These girls are still alive, healthy, living the full and happy life that they have the right to (albeit minus a human house address) and fed everyday. They run happily towards me the moment my car arrives and chatters happily telling me about their day and sees me to my car ... they sit and watch me till I disappear or run after it until their little legs cannot keep up ... but their eyes looking at me each time I leave and the slow wink they give me burns into my heart and mind as if they are telling me this might be their last time with me and that we will never meet again ... it is very, very touching!

Last edited by FurKids; 04-16-2009 at 03:10 PM.
Old 04-16-2009, 03:09 PM
PetFinder Guru

bbpie is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by animaluver View Post
I believe i am the one crying over there though no one shouted at me. I just burst out crying loud couldnt and refuse to hear what was told to me.....i just felt so sad and guilty at tht moment......
no dear, could not have been u :) the crying girl was sitting behind d desk, obviously working there.

i understand how u feel, its d very same reason why i just cant bring myself to go there anymore, though i used to love that place when i was a child.

dont b so hard on urself, u tried. like my ex use to tell me, u cant save d world, but d important thing is u tried, u put in ur effort n u sincerely cared.
Old 04-17-2009, 09:27 AM
Pets Are NOT Disposable

Default Alley Cat Allies - The Cats' Leading Advocate

Found this very interesting piece at the Alley Cat Allies website (http://www.alleycat.org):

Alley Cat Allies is committed to advocating for an end to the killing of cats, leading the movement for change, and protecting the rights of cats—and the people who care for them. Get informed about the issues impacting cats and what you can do to make a difference.

Lives Count, Secrets Kill

Animal pounds and shelters kill more cats entrusted to their custody than they save. But the killing usually happens in secret, away from the public eye. While some facilities keep track of their own numbers, few ever reveal them to the government, let alone the public.

As part of the Lives Count, Secrets Kill Campaign, Alley Cat Allies is urging state governments to pass laws requiring these facilities to keep track of every cat they take into custody—and to report to the public each and every fatality.

Citizens nationwide deserve to know the real fates of animals inside pounds and shelters. It’s time to bring the facts into the light—and stop the killing once and for all.

Illinois – Killing 60,000 Cats, Unable to Account for Thousands More

More than 60,000 cats were killed in Illinois animal pounds and shelters in 2006. That’s 5,000 cats killed every month, and 160 each day.

On top of that, these same facilities couldn’t account for over 17,000 cats. No one knows what happened to them.

These findings come from an analysis conducted by Alley Cat Allies of Illinois Department of Agriculture reports collected from the 247 animal pounds and shelters licensed by the state that handled cats in 2006.

Illinois is one of the few states with laws already requiring pounds and shelters to report the fate of animals in their custody. In the same year that 60,000 cats were killed and 17,000 went missing, the Illinois Department of Agriculture didn’t review the reports. It didn’t even total up those numbers.
And it didn’t penalize or investigate a single facility for failing to account for so many fatalities.

Alley Cat Allies and its supporters care about these deaths. Everyone who believes that each cat’s life counts, please join us in our campaign to end the secrecy—and end the killing.

Take Action - Insist on the Truth

Unfortunately, Illinois is not alone. Across the country, the majority of all cats entering animal pounds and shelters are killed. And most of it happens in secret.

You deserve to know what happens to cats in your state. Insist on strong laws requiring animal pounds and shelters to be accountable for the animals in their care.

If you are disturbed by the troubling picture that our analysis uncovered in Illinois, then please, add your voice to our movement.

Tell Your Story of Shelter Deception

Have you found a stray cat or kitten and taken him or her to your local pound or shelter trying to help the animal, only to find out later that the facility killed the cat you wanted to save? It’s an easy mistake to make. For decades, these facilities have been urging the public to bring them stray animals, styling themselves as animal “shelters,” “rescue leagues,” and “protection societies.”

But the most comprehensive study to date indicates that over 70% of cats entering U.S. pounds and shelters are killed.

Tell Us
http://www.alleycat.org/NetCommunity/Page.aspx?pid=574

Have you and an animal you tried to help been victims of deception by pounds or shelters? Maybe, like Cynthia and Claude, the couple who tried to save Rocky and Spring, you were personally told at the shelter that the stray you brought in would not be killed. Or maybe you brought a cat to a "no kill" shelter only to learn the animal was later killed. Whatever form of deception you experienced, please share your story with Alley Cat Allies by filling out our testimonial submission form. You can also upload photos and documents to help tell your story.

Through our Lives Count-Secrets Kill Campaign, we are documenting and publicizing the kill-rate statistics. But the cats need you to do your part—tell the story of the animals you tried to save so that they are not forgotten. Tell your story to stop the pounds and shelters from misleading the public and covering up the killing. Tell your story to help bring the killing to an end.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	AlleyCatsOrgLogo.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	26.1 KB
ID:	4624  

Last edited by FurKids; 04-17-2009 at 09:38 AM.
Old 04-17-2009, 09:36 AM
Pets Are NOT Disposable

Default What’s Best for Cats: Being Alive or Dead?

From Alley Cat Allies website ay http://www.alleycat.org/NetCommunity/Page.aspx?pid=402

What’s Best for Cats: Being Alive or Dead?

Many animal control pounds and shelters operate on the notion that if a cat can’t live in a human home, it’s best to kill her. They use individual anecdotes of sick and abused stray cats to extrapolate that millions of these animals are better off dead than alive. But research shows otherwise. The bottom line is: being killed is not in cats’ best interests.

• Veterinary studies show that stray cats’ incidence of trauma and disease is low, and their infection rate—4%—is the same or lower than in house cats.

• Evolutionary research shows that the natural habitat of cats is outdoors in close proximity to humans. The species Felis catus came into existence 8,000 to 10,000 years ago when humans shifted from hunting and gathering to farming. Initially attracted by grain stores with plentiful rodent populations, cats have been living side by side with humans ever since.

• A recent national public opinion poll shows that 81% of Americans believe it is more humane to leave a stray cat outside to live out her life than to have her caught and killed.

Intentionally killing a cat is a criminal offense in all 50 states and the District of Columbia, regardless of ownership. Anti-cruelty laws apply to all cats—companion, abandoned, lost, and feral.

Last edited by FurKids; 04-17-2009 at 09:42 AM.
Old 04-17-2009, 11:13 AM
PetFinder Guru

nivek is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimimaro84 View Post

Let me tell you something you already know. The world ain't all sunshine and rainbows. It is a very mean and nasty place and it will beat you to your knees and keep you there permanently if you let it. You, me, or nobody is gonna hit as hard as life. But it ain't about how hard you hit; it's about how hard you can get hit, and keep moving forward. How much you can take, and keep moving forward. That's how winning is done. Now, if you know what you're worth, then go out and get what you're worth. But you gotta be willing to take the hit, and not pointing fingers saying you ain't where you are because of him, or her, or anybody. Cowards do that and that ain't you. You're better than that!
-Rocky Balboa-

*Hug kimi*
Old 04-17-2009, 11:45 AM
Animal Lover

*hugs nivek*
Old 04-17-2009, 12:41 PM
PetFinder Guru

daphne1985 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to daphne1985

Quote:

-Rocky Balboa-

Ya...here another hug for you kimi
Old 04-17-2009, 01:54 PM
Animal Lover

tenkiuu for all the lovely hugs

*hugs Daphne*
Old 04-17-2009, 02:10 PM
Animal Lover

June is on a distinguished road
Default Spca ampang in need of more adopters...

remind me of one phrase.chick buffer.u see,if 2 guys feel akward to hug each other,in between them there will be 1 girl act a as a buffer between the guy

Quote:
tenkiuu for all the lovely hugs

*hugs Daphne*
Old 04-17-2009, 02:17 PM
Animal Lover

come ler June we hug then 4 ppl hug together, so happy double buffer i guess hik hik hik
Old 04-17-2009, 02:17 PM
PetFinder Guru

Kak June, wanna join hug hug....then it will be more comfortable... come here come here..
okay ..let me hug Ah June Jie Jie first...

Quote:
Originally Posted by June View Post
remind me of one phrase.chick buffer.u see,if 2 guys feel akward to hug each other,in between them there will be 1 girl act a as a buffer between the guy
Old 04-17-2009, 02:24 PM
Founder, PetFinder.my

AndyKoh has disabled reputation

Great... let's give each other a big hug and squeeze till we're out of breath and gasping for air... tomorrow is PetFinder's birthday and it's time for us all to put aside our differences and celebrate the success our hardworking community has achieved in finding homes for 1,200 animals!

I know that a lot of you guys, especially the rescuers, are putting in a lot of hard work behind the scenes, and certainly deserve our deepest respect and appreciation. *Salute*
Old 04-17-2009, 02:28 PM
Animal Lover

So guys,come lets hug Andy.I'm sure he is very happy to have pretty girls hugging him.hehehehehe!!!

Kimi,seems that Andy does not need chick buffer at all ler

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyKoh View Post
Great... let's give each other a big hug and squeeze till we're out of breath and gasping for air... tomorrow is PetFinder's birthday and it's time for us all to put aside our differences and celebrate the success our hardworking community has achieved in finding homes for 1,200 animals!

I know that a lot of you guys, especially the rescuers, are putting in a lot of hard work behind the scenes, and certainly deserve our deepest respect and appreciation. *Salute*
Old 04-17-2009, 02:54 PM
PetFinder Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by June View Post
So guys,come lets hug Andy.I'm sure he is very happy to have pretty girls hugging him.hehehehehe!!!

Kimi,seems that Andy does not need chick buffer at all ler
Yaya kak June, both of us are the pretty girls.....let hug hug...wow..5 people now, I really feel we're out of breath and gasping for air..
Old 04-17-2009, 02:56 PM
Animal Lover

Er,I'm not prettylah.I'm old lady already .Maybe Kimi??

Quote:
Originally Posted by daphne1985 View Post
Yaya kak June, both of us are the pretty girls.....let hug hug...wow..5 people now, I really feel we're out of breath and gasping for air..