Go

Go Back   PetFinder.my > The Animal Corner > Dogs & Puppies > Health, Disease & Diet

Health, Disease & Diet Find out the best tips and practices on managing your dog's diet, health care, and issues with diseases from our community of animal lovers

Old 01-16-2009, 10:26 AM
PetFinder Guru

lynielime is on a distinguished road
Default Hemorrhagic Gastroenteritis in Dogs - Be aware of symptoms

hi everyone, my darling tony montana was diagnosed with this nasty disease two nights ago. when he first displayed symptoms, i thought he had just eaten something wrong or had a tummy ache so i did not act immediately. thinking he would be ok, i did not take him to the vet until the following morning and by then he was very ill and depressed. this is a potentially fatal condition, but easily treated if caught quickly. please read the attached articles for more information.

taken from:
http://www.cpvh.com/Articles/82.html

HEMORRHAGIC GASTROENTERITIS (HGE)
Hemorrhagic gastroenteritis is a syndrome in dogs characterized by a sudden onset of severe bloody diarrhea, projectile vomiting, listlessness and dehydration. Due to loss of fluids, hypovolemic shock can occur quickly. This syndrome affects adult dogs of all breeds, but tends to be more common in smaller breeds (e.g. Dachshunds, Yorkshire Terriers, Miniature Schnauzers, etc…). Most affected dogs have been healthy with no recent environmental changes.

Risk factors and cause for hemorrhagic gastroenteritis are unknown. However, there has been speculation that the problem is caused by an overgrowth of Clostridium bacteria in the small intestine. Research is ongoing. Clinical signs often begin with depression, vomiting and lack of appetite (anorexia) followed by bloody diarrhea. Pets may be painful on abdominal palpation. Pets may or may not have a fever. Signs progress rapidly to dehydration and shock.

Differential diagnoses for these symptoms are parvovirus and other viruses, bacterial enteritis (bacterial infection of the intestinal tract), gastrointestinal ulcers, intestinal parasites, rat poisoning, intestinal obstruction or intussusception, hypoadrenocorticism, and pancreatitis. To determine the cause of the illness, your veterinarian may need to do bloodwork, fecal analysis and possibly x-rays / ultrasound of the abdomen.

With prompt veterinary care, most dogs respond to treatment and recover. Treatment for hemorrhagic gastroenteritis involves fluid therapy. This may be done with subcutaneous fluids on an outpatient basis, or in the hospital with IV fluids. The type of fluid therapy recommended will depend on the severity of each individual case. Fluid therapy allows for correction of dehydration and replacement of ongoing fluid and electrolyte losses. Antibiotics and medications for nausea and vomiting are also sometimes helpful. Initially, the patient will be held off food and water until vomiting is under control. During the recovery period, we recommend feeding a bland diet such as Royal Canin Sensitive or Hills I/D for several days.

With appropriate treatment, most dogs make a rapid and complete recovery from hemorrhagic gastroenteritis. However, in rare cases, there can be further complications such as increased liver enzymes, bleeding disorders, seizures, cardiac arrhythmia or even sudden death. Early and appropriate diagnosis and treatment are essential when dealing with this disease! Approximately 10% of affected dogs will have future episodes of hemorrhagic gastroenteritis.

After hospitalization, your pet may need continued treatment at home
Old 01-16-2009, 10:29 AM
PetFinder Guru

Default Re: Hemorrhagic Gastroenteritis in Dogs - Be aware of symptoms

taken from:
http://www.thepawblog.com/hemorrhagi...enteritis-hge/

Hemorrhagic gastroenteritis (HGE) is an acute and potentially fatal disease of dogs. This condition can be extremely distressing for pet owners. Although hemorrhagic gastroenteritis is very debilitating, if it is treated early and aggressively, most dogs have a good chance for recovery.

What is hemorrhagic gastroenteritis?

Hemorrhagic gastroenteritis is an acute condition of dogs characterized by the sudden onset of severe bloody vomiting and explosive bloody diarrhea. Large amounts of fresh blood are passed in the vomit and diarrhea, leaving the animal weak, depressed, and reluctant to eat. As the disease progresses, pets rapidly deteriorate, becoming shocked and collapsed. This is a life-threatening situation that requires immediate treatment. The mortality rate is high for dogs that go untreated.

What causes hemorrhagic gastroenteritis?

The actual cause of hemorrhagic gastroenteritis is unknown. There are several theories that HGE may be caused by a viral infection, bacterial infection, bacterial toxins, or immune-mediated destruction of the intestinal lining. The disease usually occurs in healthy animals with no history of concurrent illness. About 15% of dogs that have had an episode of HGE will suffer a relapse.

Are there any there any predisposing factors for HGE?

HGE occurs in all breeds of dogs, at any age. However, it appears to occur more frequently in small and toy breeds of dogs. Breeds that seem to have a higher than average incidence of hemorrhagic gastroenteritis are the miniature Schnauzer, Dachshund, Yorkshire terrier, and miniature poodle. The average age at onset of disease is 2-4 years old, and there is no gender predisposition.

How is HGE diagnosed?

If your dog is vomiting blood or producing bloody diarrhea, it should be taken to a veterinarian at once. Though the symptoms of HGE are very distinctive, other diseases that cause similar symptoms must be ruled out (e.g. ulcers, viral infections, bacterial infections, parasites, poisoning, cancer, etc.).

After taking a complete medical history and performing a thorough physical exam, additional tests may be required. Routine blood tests are necessary to calculate the extent of blood loss and to check for any other sources of illness. Other possible tests are fecal tests for bacteria and parasites, abdominal x-rays, and an electrocardiogram to detect any cardiac abnormalities arising from the loss of blood.

What is the treatment for hemorrhagic gastroenteritis?

If the veterinarian suspects that your pet has HGE, it should be hospitalized and treated aggressively. Fluid therapy is the mainstay of treatment. IV fluids, and occasionally blood transfusions, are used to replace lost blood, maintain adequate heart function, and correct any electrolyte deficits.

Antibiotics and steroids are also recommended. Dogs should receive nothing to eat or drink during the acute stage of the disease. As they recover, they should be started on a bland, easily digestible diet for at least a week before resuming their normal diet.

What is the expected outcome of the disease?

Hemorrhagic gastroenteritis typically lasts about 2-3 days. The majority of dogs recover with no complications if they are treated early on in the disease. Dogs that are not treated have a poor prognosis for recovery. Pet owners should always be aware that a small percentage of dogs with HGE will suffer relapses.

Are there any preventative measures for HGE?

Since the cause of hemorrhagic gastroenteritis is still unknown, there is no way to prevent the disease. Thus, it is important for owners to act quickly when their pets show signs of illness.
Old 01-16-2009, 10:39 AM
PetFinder Guru

taken from:
http://www.gvsvet.com/glossaryMORE.asp?t=hge

Hemorrhagic gastroenteritis, HGE

Affected Animals:
Dogs of all ages and breeds can be affected by hemorrhagic gastroenteritis. Young adult dogs of toy and miniature breeds, especially schnauzers and poodles, may be affected more frequently.

Overview:
There are many causes for bloody diarrhea and vomiting in dogs. Hemorrhagic gastroenteritis, or HGE, refers to a specific syndrome usually seen in young adult dogs of the toy and miniature breeds. In HGE, fever is usually not present, and the main laboratory abnormality is a marked elevation of the hematocrit (concentration of blood cells) due to fluid shifts and intestinal fluid loss. There is no diagnostic test that confirms the presence of HGE. Its diagnosis is made mainly on clinical grounds.

Just as there is no unique diagnostic test for HGE, there is no established cause for the illness. Treatment is similar as that for other causes of vomiting and bloody diarrhea in dogs. However, relatively large amounts of fluid are usually needed to replace the fluid lost into the intestinal tract, and to reverse shock, if present. Antibiotics are also given because bacteria may play a role in causing HGE. Although the signs are sudden and severe, and some dogs do not survive, most animals with HGE recover fully with prompt treatment. Recurrences are possible in an individual dog, but they are not common. Prompt veterinary attention is vital for any dog with severe gastrointestinal signs and depression, whether due to HGE or other causes.

Clinical Signs:
The clinical signs of hemorrhagic gastroenteritis include vomiting, bloody diarrhea, depression, and collapse, or shock.

Symptoms:
See Clinical Signs.

Description:
Canine hemorrhagic gastroenteritis, or HGE, is a syndrome characterized by the sudden onset of vomiting, bloody diarrhea, depression, and an elevated hematocrit on bloodwork. The etiology, or cause, of HGE is not known. Changes in the mucosa, or lining tissue, of the intestine result in fluid shifts from the vascular system and changes in fluid secretion into the intestinal tract. These changes appear to cause the symptoms of HGE. Animals can become extremely ill in a very short period of time. Small and toy breed dogs from two to four years of age are affected most commonly. There is no specific diagnostic test for HGE, but the occurrence of severe bloody diarrhea in a dog with an elevated hematocrit, a normal white blood cell count, and no fever, strongly suggests its presence.

Treatment requires prompt and aggressive fluid administration, and shock-level doses are usually needed at first. Food and water are withheld until the vomiting and diarrhea resolve. Steroids are given to animals that are in shock, and dogs with severe blood loss may require blood transfusion. Antibiotics are also given as part of the supportive treatment for HGE. Most dogs recover with appropriate treatment, although some may have additional bouts of the same signs after the initial episode resolves.

Diagnosis:
The diagnosis of hemorrhagic gastroenteritis usually rests on the presence of severe diarrhea in a dog with an elevated hematocrit. The elevated hematocrit results from fluid shifts out of the blood vessels, and excessive fluid loss through the intestinal tract. Additional bloodwork and x-rays are helpful for excluding other causes of bloody diarrhea, as is testing of the feces for the presence of parvovirus.

Prognosis:
With prompt and aggressive treatment, most dogs with HGE recover completely. Occasionally, some dogs will have recurrent episodes.

Transmission or Cause:
The cause of hemorrhagic gastroenteritis is unknown. A bacterium called Clostridium perfringens has been isolated from cultures of intestinal contents in dogs with HGE, but its exact role in the syndrome has not been identified.

Treatment:
The main aspect of treatment for HGE is intravenous fluid replacement. Large doses of fluids are usually required for initial therapy. Fluids are continued for one to two days, as long as the diarrhea persists. Antibiotics are also used because of the potential role of bacteria in the development of HGE. Steroids may be administered if the affected dog is in shock. Blood transfusions may be needed if blood loss is severe. Food and water are withheld until vomiting and diarrhea subside. These treatments are similar to those for almost any cause of acute, severe diarrhea in dogs. HGE symptoms should improve within 24 to 48 hours. If the affected dog fails to improve after 48 hours, other causes of the symptoms should be considered.

Prevention:
Since the cause of HGE is not completely understood, at present no known preventive measures exist.
Old 01-16-2009, 01:53 PM
PetFinder Guru

acsyen is on a distinguished road

Sorry to hear about your dog. Please do keep me updated on it's condition.
Old 01-16-2009, 02:23 PM
Animal Lover

Ferreted is an unknown quantity at this point

ditto lynie.. do keep us updated. glad you caught this early.
Old 01-16-2009, 02:54 PM
PetFinder Guru

thanks yen and chelly for your support!

tony looked a little bit better when i visited him at the vet yesterday.. he wagged his tail when he saw me and he stood up for a little while. his eyes had some life in them instead of that glazed, blank expression he had before..

hopefully when i visit him today after work there will be more good news to report. i am still waiting for him to eat something and i look forward to taking him home in a few days.

anyway i just wanted to inform other dog people about this illness.. i myself had never heard of it before and really, at first when tony wouldn't eat his dinner i thought he was just tired and not hungry.

Remember: "The disease usually occurs in healthy animals with no history of concurrent illness"
Old 01-16-2009, 03:05 PM
Animal lover

mew mew is on a distinguished road

Lynie, glad to know your dog is getting better. Thanks for the infor, I have never of this HGE before...now I'll take note of it coz I have a MS at home.
Old 01-19-2009, 09:29 AM
PetFinder Guru

hi all,
after 5 nights at the vet, tony has finally been deemed well enough to come home! i'll be picking him up after work today yay!!

i'm sooo relieved but i'm sure that spike (my other dog) will be happiest of all!!
Old 01-19-2009, 11:37 AM
Animal Lover

Ferreted is an unknown quantity at this point

wahahaha... good karma good karma... hahahaha so glad.. hehehe wooo.. thats really lucky.. good on ya lynie!

well wishes to your furry demons.
Old 01-19-2009, 03:49 PM
PetFinder Guru

daphne1985 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to daphne1985

Hi lynielime,

All the symptoms that you have mention with HGE which very similar to my miniature schnauzer . I found him in the early stages, he just have little vomit and diarrhea but is without blood and lost of appetite. at tat time i was so worry and send him to Segar Vet in Cheras near Leisure Mall there, the Dr just take a stool test and said that my puppy got parvovirus..I wonder why coz i hv vaccine my puppy ad.. and you are right you said that "The disease usually occurs in healthy animals with no history of concurrent illness" . My puppy is still healthy at the day b4 without any illness. When d time i found he sickness is exactly like wut ur puppy, he is lost of appetite, where i gave him food but he did not want to take and have some vomit..Yet he is still enegetic in barking and playing with me, but my Schnauzer is heavy eating so i wonder y until i saw he vomit then faster send him vet. after send him to vet, he get more serious then b4, I was worry at tat time coz the Vet have keep my puppy under all the dog tat with virus. I was so worry, day after day he look thin and have very blood diarrhea. OMG

Lastly he Die..I ask the Dr, they are so "bad" they look lost, they did not noe how to answer me...

untill nw I still wonder if my puppy really get Parvovirus, coz i keep him at home most of my time. or the dr wrongly examine.

the 1st day i found him still very active but he look very ill at the end and die lastly....I'm soooooooooooooo sad...why....why....!!!!!wut's wrong? the Segar vet didn't give me a medical report for my schnauzer, i dont noe what have they done.... They are so S***K!!!

I guess my puppy is just getting HGE like ur puppy..

can u tell me which clinic u go so next time i hv better idea if i hv new puppy.. you can read on my profile, under Yuuki. I update my Schnauzer report there when he still alive.

Help me Please..
Daphne
Old 01-20-2009, 09:41 AM
PetFinder Guru

hi daphne,
i'm so sorry for your loss and your little yuuki's suffering. i truly believe he's in a better place now and at peace. his life was short, but at least he was truly loved.

first off, let's not jump to conclusions about your darling's diagnosis.. i'm not a vet or anything like that so i honestly have no idea what happened to yuuki.. most of the medical articles i read about HGE say that it usually strikes young adult dogs, not puppies.. although its possible..

another thing that indicated to my vets that tony had HGE was his blood test.. the results showed extremely high levels of hematocrit (concentration of blood) and normal levels of white blood cells.. along with the bloody diarrhea and vomiting, these are the biggest indicators of HGE.

the symptoms of parvovirus and HGE are very similar so the first thing my vet did was conduct a stool test for parvo. luckily he tested negative. did yuuki have a blood test? if he did, you should ask for the results to see if he had elevated levels of hematocrit. if he didn't have elevated levels, then he did not have HGE.

hope this helps!
Old 01-20-2009, 09:58 AM
PetFinder Guru

daphne1985 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to daphne1985

Ya, the Dr help Yuuki only test on stool test, which Dr call it CPVG - Pro Test, I saw the red line appear on the C field of the tester. The Dr told me this mean that he got the parvovirus but I'm not sure coz I do no have any knowledge bout it.
Old 01-20-2009, 11:46 AM
Petfinder Moderator

blackie007 has disabled reputation

Hi Lynie,

So sorry I didn't see this thread until today.

But I'm really glad to hear that your Tony has fully recovered.

And as usual, you have taken the time to share the knowledge you gleaned from your experience with other pet owners here. It's really useful info as most of us have never heard of HGE before.

Thanks for sharing!!
Old 01-20-2009, 02:41 PM
PetFinder Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackie007 View Post
Hi Lynie,

So sorry I didn't see this thread until today.

But I'm really glad to hear that your Tony has fully recovered.

And as usual, you have taken the time to share the knowledge you gleaned from your experience with other pet owners here. It's really useful info as most of us have never heard of HGE before.

Thanks for sharing!!
hi!! sharing is caring

yup he's fully recovered! at first i was worried, i thought he would be weakened or traumatized from his experience but no....... once the kennel door was opened, he dashed out at top speed over to the nearest kitten cage and promptly peed into the kitten's water bowl needless to say, i was very very embarrassed and quickly tried to put on his harness and leash.. but he was so hyper that i coudln't do this without help.. as i paid the bill, he peed on the reception desk..

when i brought him home he immediately tried to pick a fight with spikey, then growled at my housemate and barked furiously at the cats.. making up for lost time i guess! so yeah he's fine..
Old 01-20-2009, 03:58 PM
Petfinder Moderator

blackie007 has disabled reputation

hahahaha!!!! Sounds like he's certainly making up for lost time....peeing where he shouldn't and generally making his presence known.

Never mind, at least you know he's fine!

It's really heart-warming to read your post.....success vet stories after so many horror vet stories....puts our faith back in vets & local veterinary health care!

Give Tony a big hug from me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynielime View Post
hi!! sharing is caring

yup he's fully recovered! at first i was worried, i thought he would be weakened or traumatized from his experience but no....... once the kennel door was opened, he dashed out at top speed over to the nearest kitten cage and promptly peed into the kitten's water bowl needless to say, i was very very embarrassed and quickly tried to put on his harness and leash.. but he was so hyper that i coudln't do this without help.. as i paid the bill, he peed on the reception desk..

when i brought him home he immediately tried to pick a fight with spikey, then growled at my housemate and barked furiously at the cats.. making up for lost time i guess! so yeah he's fine..
Old 01-21-2009, 06:50 AM
PetFinder Guru

acsyen is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by daphne1985 View Post
Hi lynielime,

All the symptoms that you have mention with HGE which very similar to my miniature schnauzer . I found him in the early stages, he just have little vomit and diarrhea but is without blood and lost of appetite. at tat time i was so worry and send him to Segar Vet in Cheras near Leisure Mall there, the Dr just take a stool test and said that my puppy got parvovirus..I wonder why coz i hv vaccine my puppy ad.. and you are right you said that "The disease usually occurs in healthy animals with no history of concurrent illness" . My puppy is still healthy at the day b4 without any illness. When d time i found he sickness is exactly like wut ur puppy, he is lost of appetite, where i gave him food but he did not want to take and have some vomit..Yet he is still enegetic in barking and playing with me, but my Schnauzer is heavy eating so i wonder y until i saw he vomit then faster send him vet. after send him to vet, he get more serious then b4, I was worry at tat time coz the Vet have keep my puppy under all the dog tat with virus. I was so worry, day after day he look thin and have very blood diarrhea. OMG

Lastly he Die..I ask the Dr, they are so "bad" they look lost, they did not noe how to answer me...

untill nw I still wonder if my puppy really get Parvovirus, coz i keep him at home most of my time. or the dr wrongly examine.

the 1st day i found him still very active but he look very ill at the end and die lastly....I'm soooooooooooooo sad...why....why....!!!!!wut's wrong? the Segar vet didn't give me a medical report for my schnauzer, i dont noe what have they done.... They are so S***K!!!

I guess my puppy is just getting HGE like ur puppy..

can u tell me which clinic u go so next time i hv better idea if i hv new puppy.. you can read on my profile, under Yuuki. I update my Schnauzer report there when he still alive.

Help me Please..
Daphne
Hi,

You can go google parvovirus and learn more about it before you start posting that the vets might be misdiagnosing your dog. The symptoms that you describe are very typical signs of parvovirus. And being vaccinated 1 time certainly doesn't guarantee that your dog will be safe from any virus around. Even those fully vaccinated but immune is low will also get it. MEdical reports are only available upon requests.