Go

Go Back   PetFinder.my > The Animal Corner > Cats & Kittens > Health, Disease & Diet

Health, Disease & Diet Find out the best tips and practices on managing your cat's diet, health care, and issues with diseases from our community of animal lovers

Old 10-13-2008, 08:27 AM
PetFinder Guru

kitty_inky is on a distinguished road
Default diarrhea

hi guys,

I need help regarding my inky is facing diarrhea .What should i do besides bring him to vet?Can i buy the medication only at vet?
Old 10-13-2008, 02:46 PM
Banned

ashleywong is on a distinguished road
Default Re: diarrhea

well inky

i'm not a vet so i can't say i'm giving you qualified advise.

there could be a host of reason why your cat is having diarrhea ranging from change in food, eating stale or bad food, eating the wrong or dirty or contaminated food, bacterial or viral infection, or worse - poisoning? we won't know for sure

so it's always safer and better for you and your pet to bring your vet to your vet.

it is cheaper to buy OTC medication for your pet but only if you know

1) what is ailing your pet
2) the medication is not contra-indicated for your pet
3) the correct dosage to give to your pet

if cost is the issue, can always ask if your pet can prescribe something less expensive provided you get this option and it is not an emergency.

hope my two-cents doesn't confuse you
Old 10-14-2008, 10:11 AM
PetFinder Guru

adamyala is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitty_inky View Post
hi guys,

I need help regarding my inky is facing diarrhea .What should i do besides bring him to vet?Can i buy the medication only at vet?
Kitty,
my adam had some share of difficult moments of his life , including mine of course...with diarrhea too. He suffered for almost 3 months...with runny poops every day.....5 to 6 times daily. Phew...imagine the ordeal both of us had to go thru....

I got him boarded at my trusted vet, hoping he (the vet) could observe adam and find the root of this problem adam was facing. But.....after 10 days at the vet...he told me there was nothing wrong with adam. He is totally fit and healthy. So...I took him home...still having the problem.

When I joined this forum...I turned to Ashley...(now I call 'My Guru') to help me .....and I found the answer to adam's problem. Now he is back to normal. No more runny poops....

Thanks ashley....

Good luck kitty....hope you will find the answer soon...

Inky needs extra love and care now...I hope you deal with this problem with a lot of patient.
Old 10-14-2008, 10:21 AM
Banned

ashleywong is on a distinguished road

Hi kitty

it is always better to rule any medical reasons for the diarrhea. once that is done, then you can start to look into other ways to address the diarrhea problem.

adamyala has checked with the vet that her cat is healthy with no other illness concerns, therefore assured that her cat has no sickness issue, she turned to search for the cause and the cause turned out to be food ingredient that make her cat sensitive.

my anna used to have poor stool formation, poor appetite and soft stool or runny stool. we always ruled out medical issues/reasons/sickness/illness with the vet, many times, including blood tests,etc. before i turned to tackle it from another angle. i also give update reports on anna to my vet (she asks) whenever i bring in another cat for checkup.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kitty_inky View Post
hi guys,