Go

Go Back   PetFinder.my > The Animal Corner > Dogs & Puppies

Dogs & Puppies General information and discussions on taking care of your canine buddy

Old 05-25-2010, 12:28 PM
Animal Lover

lucidity is on a distinguished road
Default Any way to "skip" quarantine?

Hey guys, I'm moving back home (KL) in a few months' time from Canada. I've been doing a lot of research on how to get my dog home (he's a Papillon who weighs about 4kg). I really don't want to leave him at the KLIA quarantine place for 7 days. :( I don't think he will handle that well at all.

I'm just wondering if any of you guys have experience with it, or do you know of someone who can help? Is there a way to bribe some officers or contact someone who can help exempt my dog from the quarantine process?

He's up to date on all his vaccinations, heartworm meds, and flea meds etc.
Old 05-25-2010, 02:39 PM
Pets Are NOT Disposable

FurKids is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Any way to "skip" quarantine?

Quote:
Originally Posted by lucidity View Post
... Is there a way to bribe some officers or contact someone who can help exempt my dog from the quarantine process?
kahkahkahhhh!!!!
"We organized in the past to make Trap-Neuter-Return possible. Today, we organize to make Trap-Neuter-Return the norm and to end the unnecessary killing of cats in animal shelters across the country and provide humane care." - Alley Cat Allies
Old 05-25-2010, 02:41 PM
Pets Are NOT Disposable

My friend, shhhhh !!!!! Don't ask so laud ....

... and me, better not laugh so laud either .... sori ahhhhh ....
"We organized in the past to make Trap-Neuter-Return possible. Today, we organize to make Trap-Neuter-Return the norm and to end the unnecessary killing of cats in animal shelters across the country and provide humane care." - Alley Cat Allies
Old 05-25-2010, 09:05 PM
Animal Lover

Mutt is on a distinguished road

Hi there,
Unfortunately, I don't believe there is a way around the quarantine. As much as you hate to be away from your pet and I'm sure he hates to be away from you keep in mind it is done in the hope to keep animals already in Malaysia healthy. It is also an opportunity to ensure that animals coming into Malaysia are healthy and not carrying something with them that could adversely affect them over time too.
I arrived in KL almost 3 years ago. I brought with me my 30kg+ dog who DOES NOT LIKE PEOPLE, and my elderly cat aged 13 who only has two teeth and one ear. I was really worried how they were going to handle the quarantine time. .....especially because of their health issues and behavior/temperament issues. I will tell you that yes, they came out of quarantine a little dirty and MAYBE a little more thin than when they went in but the dirt bit could have happened on the flight over and the thin part well, they don't always eat great when I'm not around anyway. The only thing I did find interesting is that my cat is now a bit racist. He normally is a social fellow with people.. even strangers ....but after his time in quarantine he will run and hide if he sees a certain race. I don't think anything was done to him but I think he was just unhappy about being away from his home and people so therefore he holds a grudge against certain people who look like maybe they could have worked at the place.
Re: bribe... I totally understand where you are coming from and the thought crossed my mind before I arrived as I had heard about bribery here etc. I'd say let it be a fleeting thought and not perpetuate something that a lot of folks here are trying to do away with. Normally I'd suggest you try to get your dog in the best health possible before traveling and update vaccines and make sure all prevention is current but it sounds like you have that covered. The seven days will go by quicker than you think. You'll be so jet lagged for the first few of them that pick-up day will be there before you know it! Your dog is going to have so many sounds and smells and things to see and take in that there is a good chance he will be exhausted too. I wish you and your dog a safe journey. Welcome home!
Woof,
-Mutt
Old 05-26-2010, 07:00 AM
Petfinder Moderator

Maneki Neko is on a distinguished road

I'm curious -- are owners permitted to visit their pets during the quarantine period, even for a minute or two? Are they allowed to see the quarantine area where the pets are kept during that week?

Those things might help to alleviate lucidity's (and others') fears a little bit... Or at least I hope it would! :-)
Old 05-26-2010, 08:29 PM
Animal Lover

Mutt is on a distinguished road

Yes, owner's can visit their pets. However, if I recall they have very strict rules regarding the visits. When we went to pick up my cat from the place we did get to go back to where he was being kept. The place is all outdoors but has screens and shade and the whole area was really fenced in.The worker dealing with our cat was very kind.
I didn't get to see where my dog was kept because she arrived to KL before we did and was delivered to our home because we didn't have a vehicle straight away. Keep in mind they have to allow visits because sometimes pets can be kept there for up to 30 days!
Woof,
-Mutt
Old 05-28-2010, 07:55 AM
Animal Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by FurKids View Post
kahkahkahhhh!!!!
Lol... -_-"" I tried to come up with a different word for bribe... but you know, bribery is bribery no matter how you put it so.. hehehe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutt View Post
Hi there,
Unfortunately, I don't believe there is a way around the quarantine. As much as you hate to be away from your pet and I'm sure he hates to be away from you keep in mind it is done in the hope to keep animals already in Malaysia healthy. It is also an opportunity to ensure that animals coming into Malaysia are healthy and not carrying something with them that could adversely affect them over time too.
I arrived in KL almost 3 years ago. I brought with me my 30kg+ dog who DOES NOT LIKE PEOPLE, and my elderly cat aged 13 who only has two teeth and one ear. I was really worried how they were going to handle the quarantine time. .....especially because of their health issues and behavior/temperament issues. I will tell you that yes, they came out of quarantine a little dirty and MAYBE a little more thin than when they went in but the dirt bit could have happened on the flight over and the thin part well, they don't always eat great when I'm not around anyway. The only thing I did find interesting is that my cat is now a bit racist. He normally is a social fellow with people.. even strangers ....but after his time in quarantine he will run and hide if he sees a certain race. I don't think anything was done to him but I think he was just unhappy about being away from his home and people so therefore he holds a grudge against certain people who look like maybe they could have worked at the place.
Re: bribe... I totally understand where you are coming from and the thought crossed my mind before I arrived as I had heard about bribery here etc. I'd say let it be a fleeting thought and not perpetuate something that a lot of folks here are trying to do away with. Normally I'd suggest you try to get your dog in the best health possible before traveling and update vaccines and make sure all prevention is current but it sounds like you have that covered. The seven days will go by quicker than you think. You'll be so jet lagged for the first few of them that pick-up day will be there before you know it! Your dog is going to have so many sounds and smells and things to see and take in that there is a good chance he will be exhausted too. I wish you and your dog a safe journey. Welcome home!
Woof,
-Mutt
Sigh. Yeah, I know. But if it has to do with my dog's health/life, I really don't mind going against my ethics and bribing someone to skip this whole quarantine shenanigan. Even South Korea has no quarantine for pets going in from Canada! I'm sure that the rate of diseases here is far less than in Malaysia.

I read this lady's blog a couple of weeks ago. She chronicled the story of her bringing her puppy back from China, and said that the conditions of the quarantine station for dogs was really dirty. So dirty in fact, that she actually had to clean her dog's "Station" during one of her visits.

I don't think my dog will cope well being cooped up for 7 days, honestly. Papillons are known for being "5lbs Border Collies". He's very, very high energy. I bring him out for 4 walks a day to keep his energy down when he's home, if not he gets difficult and destructive.

I'm also really reluctant to have my dog in quarantine because I think he's going to be really stressed out from the flight already. It's a 22+ hour flight with a stopover in Hong Kong. It's going to be so scary travelling in a dark cargo, alone. I'm actually contemplating going via South Korea instead because Korean Air allows pets in the cabin. Problem is, the layover in Seoul is 24 hours, much worse than the 2 hour layover in HK.

So stressful this whole relocation thing. May I ask how you got your paperwork done? I found this company in KL to help me out with it but they want to charge me RM800 for it. Don't know if I should just suck it up and have them do it for me..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maneki Neko View Post
I'm curious -- are owners permitted to visit their pets during the quarantine period, even for a minute or two? Are they allowed to see the quarantine area where the pets are kept during that week?

Those things might help to alleviate lucidity's (and others') fears a little bit... Or at least I hope it would! :-)
Yup, owners are allowed to visit, but I dunno for how long, and what the rules are. I'm planning to visit every day... maybe twice a day, if I can, really.
Old 05-29-2010, 08:02 AM
Petfinder Moderator

Maneki Neko is on a distinguished road
Smile Re: Any way to "skip" quarantine?

Quote:
I don't think my dog will cope well being cooped up for 7 days, honestly. Papillons are known for being "5lbs Border Collies". He's very, very high energy. I bring him out for 4 walks a day to keep his energy down when he's home, if not he gets difficult and destructive.
I'd never heard Papillons described as 5-pound Border Collies before, but it's a perfectly vivid image!

I used to walk my dog along a beach years ago, and I would always see the same woman there, throwing various toys into the sea for her BC to fetch. "My life is now titled, 'Entertaining Milo'," she muttered. "If I don't wear him out every day he takes up... hobbies. You know -- interior decor, gardening, landscaping, demolition -- that sort of thing. "

I understand even better now why you're averse to your pup being crated in quarantine for a week! And yes, the stress of the flight is also worrisome.
Please keep us posted on your experience, would you? Quite a few PF members have asked questions about traveling abroad with their dogs, and it's always good to get information from someone who has done it. (Even if your solution involves br***ry. :-)
Old 05-29-2010, 08:57 AM
PetFinder Guru

Felix The Cat is on a distinguished road

Yes, you can skip the quarantine thingy actually. I used to work in the hotel industry and had assisted one of our Chef's to bring in his silky terrier all the way from Dubai to Sabah. Upon reaching Sabah, the dog was sent for quarantined immediately. Our Chef and his family used to visit the dog during weekends but the quarantine center was located quite far away. The dog was pining for them and vice versa. In the end, we assisted the Chef to write in to appeal to the Jabatan Haiwan if the quarantine period could be lessen due to concrete valid reasons e.g. dog pining away for owner, not eating properly, daughter or son missing their pet so much blah..blah.... then the Jabatan Haiwan said yes... they could house quarantine the dog but before the dog is released to them, the personnel from the Jabatan Haiwan paid a visit to the house to inspect it if it is safe for house quarantine. After inspection is done and a few minor request e.g. put up extra fencing the dog was released to the owner after being in the quarantine center for about only 2 weeks. So you can give it a try.... write in to the authorities and give them valid reasons why you want your pet near you. I am sure that they will consider it.

Good Luck!

Felix The Cat - Dee wonderful wonderful cat!
http://felixthecats.weebly.com
http://livinginmyworld-phyllis.blogspot.com/
Old 05-29-2010, 10:13 AM
Animal Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maneki Neko View Post
I'd never heard Papillons described as 5-pound Border Collies before, but it's a perfectly vivid image!

I used to walk my dog along a beach years ago, and I would always see the same woman there, throwing various toys into the sea for her BC to fetch. "My life is now titled, 'Entertaining Milo'," she muttered. "If I don't wear him out every day he takes up... hobbies. You know -- interior decor, gardening, landscaping, demolition -- that sort of thing. "

I understand even better now why you're averse to your pup being crated in quarantine for a week! And yes, the stress of the flight is also worrisome.
Please keep us posted on your experience, would you? Quite a few PF members have asked questions about traveling abroad with their dogs, and it's always good to get information from someone who has done it. (Even if your solution involves br***ry. :-)
Lol, yes, I echo that lady's sentiments!! I have a lot of destroyed things in my house; from towels to wire cables... and all that was from the times when I'm cooking/watching tv and not watching my dog closely enough. -_- I think my dog will never be 100% trustworthy without a crate when I'm not home.

I'll definitely update you guys on how it goes. I'm only moving home in Sept, though, so good thing I still have a lot of time to settle everything :) I'm thinking now maybe I should ask my parents to ask some petstore owners or breeders how they import their dogs. I'm sure their dogs are allowed to skip quarantine, right? I can't imagine petstores having to quarantine every single animal they get. Plus... their dogs are always sickly, probably would fail quarantine anyway..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Felix The Cat View Post
Yes, you can skip the quarantine thingy actually. I used to work in the hotel industry and had assisted one of our Chef's to bring in his silky terrier all the way from Dubai to Sabah. Upon reaching Sabah, the dog was sent for quarantined immediately. Our Chef and his family used to visit the dog during weekends but the quarantine center was located quite far away. The dog was pining for them and vice versa. In the end, we assisted the Chef to write in to appeal to the Jabatan Haiwan if the quarantine period could be lessen due to concrete valid reasons e.g. dog pining away for owner, not eating properly, daughter or son missing their pet so much blah..blah.... then the Jabatan Haiwan said yes... they could house quarantine the dog but before the dog is released to them, the personnel from the Jabatan Haiwan paid a visit to the house to inspect it if it is safe for house quarantine. After inspection is done and a few minor request e.g. put up extra fencing the dog was released to the owner after being in the quarantine center for about only 2 weeks. So you can give it a try.... write in to the authorities and give them valid reasons why you want your pet near you. I am sure that they will consider it.

Good Luck!
Wow, this is good news! I'll definitely try writing to them.. dunno if the people in KL are as nice as the ones in Sabah, though. Is this Jabatan the same one where you're supposed to get the forms for importing dogs?

Thanks for letting me know, by the way. I really appreciate it!
Old 05-29-2010, 10:30 AM
PetFinder Guru

Quote:
Lol, yes, I echo that lady's sentiments!! I have a lot of destroyed things in my house; from towels to wire cables... and all that was from the times when I'm cooking/watching tv and not watching my dog closely enough. -_- I think my dog will never be 100% trustworthy without a crate when I'm not home.

I'll definitely update you guys on how it goes. I'm only moving home in Sept, though, so good thing I still have a lot of time to settle everything :) I'm thinking now maybe I should ask my parents to ask some petstore owners or breeders how they import their dogs. I'm sure their dogs are allowed to skip quarantine, right? I can't imagine petstores having to quarantine every single animal they get. Plus... their dogs are always sickly, probably would fail quarantine anyway..

Wow, this is good news! I'll definitely try writing to them.. dunno if the people in KL are as nice as the ones in Sabah, though. Is this Jabatan the same one where you're supposed to get the forms for importing dogs?

Thanks for letting me know, by the way. I really appreciate it!
Yes, it is the same department. Also fees of RM800 is very expensive. When I imported my cat from Sabah to Kuching, clearance upon arrival at Kuching International Airport was supposed to be done by an agent for RM150.00 but I was informed that I could do it myself for free and all I had to do is get permission from the customs department if I could do it. I called the officer in charged and managed to get his permission to clear my pet upon arrival.

So upon Benji's arrival, I waited at the cargo section with all the necessary papers e.g. import and export permit, health certificate etc. Upon Benji's arrival, i took him and then went to the main airport terminal to the Jabatan Haiwan's department to check the health certificate. Once the vet stamped on the paper that everything was ok, I then went to the custom office to get the officer to stamp on the paper. After that home ward bound. Its not difficult to do just time consuming because you have to go here and there and wait. If you have the patience I am sure you will save $$$$

Old 05-30-2010, 04:32 AM
Animal Lover

Wow, thanks so much for your info! Yeah, I feel RM800 is expensive too. =/ But my parents are super busy and won't have time to go to the jabatan or whatever it is to get the forms to fill out for me..

Do you think you can give me detailed info on how you brought your dog back?? I'll PM you to give you my e-mail add... of course, if you have the time, and no hurry! =)
Old 05-31-2010, 02:57 PM
PetFinder Guru

Quote:
Wow, thanks so much for your info! Yeah, I feel RM800 is expensive too. =/ But my parents are super busy and won't have time to go to the jabatan or whatever it is to get the forms to fill out for me..

Do you think you can give me detailed info on how you brought your dog back?? I'll PM you to give you my e-mail add... of course, if you have the time, and no hurry! =)
Hi Lucidity,

First of all Benji is not a dog although his name sounds like one Benji is my DLH cat.

First of all, you have to ensure that your dog / cat is fully vacinated and had its booster shots done.

Secondly you must go to Jabatan Haiwan and apply for an 'Export Permit' and then get someone to help you to apply for an 'Import Permit' from the country that you want to export your pet too.

After obtaining the Export and Import permit, you will then need to bring your dog / cat for a medical checkup at the Jabatan Haiwan. Just a normal check up e.g. temperature checking, measuring of weight and of course checking if your vacination and booster shots are all done. You will need to bring your vacination card along. After all that is done, the Vet will issue you a 'Health Certificate' that is valid for a week (used to be only 48 hours). Once you have obtained the 'Health Certificate, fax it to the other party where you want your pet to be shipped.

Then you can approach MAS office (Cargo) section and find out the time and flight schedule as to when you need to ship your pet out. I am sorry that I am not very sure what MAS requirements is but you can call them and ask them. Once that is all done you will need to pay about RM120.00 (that was for cats, not sure for dogs) for custom handling. Then its done.

The other party will wait for your shipment to arrive and do the necessary clearance for you on the other side.

Hope the above info will help you.

Old 06-01-2010, 09:29 AM
Pets Are NOT Disposable

Quote:

Good Luck!
Sabahan authorities are much, much different compared to those over here, dear .... the people there are generally mucho, mucho friendlier and nicer ....
Old 06-01-2010, 09:33 AM
Animal Lover

June is on a distinguished road

so true bro.if you know someone from the department itself,lagi sonang

over there,u know si polan si polan,then the rest will be easier. though I must stress that no monetary reward involve. suma tulung tulung saja

Quote:
Sabahan authorities are much, much different compared to those over here, dear .... the people there are generally mucho, mucho friendlier and nicer ....
Old 06-01-2010, 01:32 PM
Animal Lover

Quote:
Hi Lucidity,

First of all Benji is not a dog although his name sounds like one Benji is my DLH cat.

First of all, you have to ensure that your dog / cat is fully vacinated and had its booster shots done.

Secondly you must go to Jabatan Haiwan and apply for an 'Export Permit' and then get someone to help you to apply for an 'Import Permit' from the country that you want to export your pet too.

After obtaining the Export and Import permit, you will then need to bring your dog / cat for a medical checkup at the Jabatan Haiwan. Just a normal check up e.g. temperature checking, measuring of weight and of course checking if your vacination and booster shots are all done. You will need to bring your vacination card along. After all that is done, the Vet will issue you a 'Health Certificate' that is valid for a week (used to be only 48 hours). Once you have obtained the 'Health Certificate, fax it to the other party where you want your pet to be shipped.

Then you can approach MAS office (Cargo) section and find out the time and flight schedule as to when you need to ship your pet out. I am sorry that I am not very sure what MAS requirements is but you can call them and ask them. Once that is all done you will need to pay about RM120.00 (that was for cats, not sure for dogs) for custom handling. Then its done.

The other party will wait for your shipment to arrive and do the necessary clearance for you on the other side.

Hope the above info will help you.
Wow, very informative. Thanks!

Quote:
Sigh...... yeah I know. I bet the people in the KL jabatan are all stuck up and snobbish and won't even bother layaning some letter sent by a random girl. -__-""

Quote:
Originally Posted by June View Post
so true bro.if you know someone from the department itself,lagi sonang

over there,u know si polan si polan,then the rest will be easier. though I must stress that no monetary reward involve. suma tulung tulung saja
Lol, so do you know any si polan?? Ugh, I really need to go and find some friends with connections everywhere..
Old 06-01-2010, 01:43 PM
Animal Lover

June is on a distinguished road

Hi!! There,

Unfortunately I don't know any polan nor any friends/family in govt dept.

I spoke to Nurul few minutes ago. She said she will get more info from Jabatan Haiwan abt bringing pet back to Malaysia from Canada. It another word, how to twist and turn here n there so your dog doesn't have to be quarantine

Quote:
Wow, very informative. Thanks!

Sigh...... yeah I know. I bet the people in the KL jabatan are all stuck up and snobbish and won't even bother layaning some letter sent by a random girl. -__-""

Lol, so do you know any si polan?? Ugh, I really need to go and find some friends with connections everywhere..
Old 06-01-2010, 01:48 PM
PetFinder Guru

Hi Lucidity,

Here is some useful information for you. Hope it will help you

http://www.dvs.gov.my/web/guest/impo...rtregulations?

Not necessarily Sabahans are kind hearted people, I know for a fact if you ask nicely for help it will definitely be given. After all we all are humans with hearts. Who can resist a charming person asking sweetly?

Quarantine in Malaysia

Upon arrival the animal shall be placed in quarantine and may be vaccinated with approved anti-rabies vaccine and detained in quarantine for compulsory period of not less than seven(7) days. The animal will be released if found to be free of any evidence of infection. However, where deemed nescesary the quarantine period can be extended up to six(6) months based on risk assessment on a case to case basis.

Hope the above is good news to you. However, you can always appeal

Old 06-01-2010, 02:14 PM
Pets Are NOT Disposable

Quote:
Hi!! There,

Quote:
I spoke to Nurul few minutes ago. She said she will get more info from Jabatan Haiwan abt bringing pet back to Malaysia from Canada. It another word, how to twist and turn here n there so your dog doesn't have to be quarantine
Quarantine, I think you definitely have to, no alternative, better not to risk any dirty backdoor method with high risk of something undesirable happening to you beloved furry darling. The stakes are too high. There are lots of smuggling across the borders but I shudder to think of the methods they use.

However, with the right contacts, you reap the benefits of a lower stress passage for it (they will treat the dog better if they know that there is a big stick over their heads which will hit their heads if they even think of mistreating it), like them allowing you to visit/taking better notice and treating it more humanely rather than like what sometimes we hear of them treating the animal as filthy and ignoring it to the point of not even feeding it. Doesn't always happen but sadly, there have been reported cases of it happening. Good luck, friend!
Old 06-03-2010, 05:48 AM
Animal Lover

Quote:
Hi!! There,

Who is Nurul? Hmm.. yeah, have to look for some loophole somewhere.. lol.

Quote:
Hi Lucidity,

Here is some useful information for you. Hope it will help you

http://www.dvs.gov.my/web/guest/impo...rtregulations?

Not necessarily Sabahans are kind hearted people, I know for a fact if you ask nicely for help it will definitely be given. After all we all are humans with hearts. Who can resist a charming person asking sweetly?

Quarantine in Malaysia

Upon arrival the animal shall be placed in quarantine and may be vaccinated with approved anti-rabies vaccine and detained in quarantine for compulsory period of not less than seven(7) days. The animal will be released if found to be free of any evidence of infection. However, where deemed nescesary the quarantine period can be extended up to six(6) months based on risk assessment on a case to case basis.

Hope the above is good news to you. However, you can always appeal
Thanks! I think I've been to that site before... Hopefully they won't quarantine my dog for more than 7 days.. but even 7 days feels very long. -_-"" KLIA is like 45 mins away from my house; that's like 1.5 hours of driving to and fro everyday if I have to visit him =/

I think I'll try to appeal.. but omg, my BM is so rusty now haha. Haven't used it in like 5 years.

Quote:
Quarantine, I think you definitely have to, no alternative, better not to risk any dirty backdoor method with high risk of something undesirable happening to you beloved furry darling. The stakes are too high. There are lots of smuggling across the borders but I shudder to think of the methods they use.

However, with the right contacts, you reap the benefits of a lower stress passage for it (they will treat the dog better if they know that there is a big stick over their heads which will hit their heads if they even think of mistreating it), like them allowing you to visit/taking better notice and treating it more humanely rather than like what sometimes we hear of them treating the animal as filthy and ignoring it to the point of not even feeding it. Doesn't always happen but sadly, there have been reported cases of it happening. Good luck, friend!
Hmm.. I'm not thinking about smuggling really.. just you know, find someone with "power" who can just tell them "no need to quarantine this dog"! hehehe.

Yeah, that's what I'm worried about. The thing is you're not there to see how they treat your dog right, so anything can happen. Plus my dog is so small, it's not like he can protect himself. If he's a German Shepherd or something, I won't be as worried... plus people are usually scared of big dogs anyway, so less likely they'll bully them.