Go

Go Back   PetFinder.my > Latest News & Happenings > Events

Events Latest happenings and events pertaining to pets and animal welfare

Old 09-20-2008, 11:28 PM
Founder, PetFinder.my

AndyKoh has disabled reputation
Default Re: Pet Adoption Drive - Bangsar Village, Oct 4

Hi Mia_Katz,

I am not sure which part of Bangsar Village it is at yet - I'll clarify with Sabrina and let you know asap
Old 09-20-2008, 11:30 PM
Founder, PetFinder.my

Hi Jiannan,

Thanks for volunteering - yes, it'd definitely be great if you can help us out on that day. In fact, we'd need volunteers as well for the morning session to assist FFF in their dog adoption sessions too, as well as our cat adoption session in the afternoon.

I'll finalize the tasks and details with everyone when the date is near, thanks. Please PM me your email, phone number and name so I can get in touch with you with further details.
Old 09-21-2008, 06:24 PM
Banned

ashleywong is on a distinguished road

Dear Andy,
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyKoh View Post

I'll finalize the tasks and details with everyone when the date is near, thanks. Please PM me your email, phone number and name so I can get in touch with you with further details.
thanks so much for updating us on this and acting as our "liaison officer"

i'll pm you my contact details.

here's something i've been thinking up with my sis - both of us would like to volunteer for that day and in addition to that,

we hope we can do the following :

1) "show-case" our cats : we want to spread the message that "kucing kampung" is very good and precious cats with even more diverse genes that often translate into beautiful show-worthy cats, with some genuine care and love, even cats that seemed to be "picky-eater" (which may be due to food sensitivity).

2) get my favourite distributors to show case their products here (as in my opinion these products really help to make a difference in promoting a quality life with your cats - through proper nutrition and through proper care products (i.e. Orijen, Natural Balance, Abco Asia and KatyAee)

3) to help educate people on what good responsible pet owner means and also to show people the basic but effective supplies we use for our cats (the type of bowl/food dish, basic litter care material like the litter box and litter material, the type of food we feed them) that's the basic stuff - honest.

4) hopefully can provide more tips on cats - like basic info for caring for a kitten, basic info on typical cats "problematic behaviour" that has us baffled, etc - i'm afraid i won't have the budge to print out for distribution, what i can do is to print out and laminate and display during that day so people can read and learn more - just watch their "oh" look when they read it

for the above, we'll be bringing our own cages (i get to depreciate them properly otherwise they're under-ulitised ) and our own pet food/dishes/water bowl also our own litter tray and litter material and also "poopie" bags to clean up after.

however we'll also need a table on which to place two of our cages. can we borrow this?

if i'm able to persuade my favourite distributors to turn up, i'll need more information for them such as

1) do they need to pay any fee to join in
2) who will provide the table for displaying the goods? Bangsar Village or the distributor? what about booth? will they get one each?
3) do they need to register themselves or they just come that day and set up their booth?
4) which entrance they use to come unload their goods?
5) any rules they need to observe?
6) are product distributors allow to showcase their products?

and also, which entrance we use to come in with our cats? main entrance, side entrance or loading bay? (I hope it's not the loading bay).

can i also borrow some items from Bangsar village? those velvet rope with the metal stand. basically it's my plan to "rope off" the area around my cat cages as they are not for adoption and also to prevent unnecessary stress to my cats from the public "adoration" (wow, i perasan sendiri but i'm very proud of my cats ).
Old 09-21-2008, 06:38 PM
Animal Lover

jiannan is on a distinguished road

hey andykoh,

could you go to this link to get involved in the World Animal Day internationally?this will hopefully help in spreading the news about the pet carnival day in bv.n hope the responds of the people will be encouraging.wish this would help.
this is the link:http://www.worldanimalday.org.uk/get_involved.asp

Thanks!
Old 09-21-2008, 11:07 PM
Petfinder Moderator

blackie007 has disabled reputation

good point here, cerz.

Quote:
Originally Posted by cerz View Post
this would be of good opportunity to put everyone's cats for adoption, however, it would be wise to NEUTER any cat that is above 4-5months of age before bringing them for the adoption event, or else there will be no point in finding a random home for the cat and cat may end up pregnant (and owner that is not as attached to the cat/ or basically have no heart for them will dump them altogether on the streets/SPCA) and thereby contributing to the over flowing stray population which in time, we have to rescue even more cats then. Therefore, its very important to make it a point for adopters to neuter the cat if its too young to be done b4 adoption. U may even take down their address, phone no., etc to keep in touch with them. goodluck everyone and hope for all the best for our furry frens! thks

*there is a gov vet that does neutering for cats at RM60 per female cat and RM40 per male cat at DBKL airpanas klinik kembiri , call to make an appointment at 03-40243446 (open everyday, close on monday). It shd be ok to ask the adopter to reimburse for the cost of neutering sine they have to do it anyway.
Old 09-22-2008, 11:54 AM
Animal Lover

Ferreted is an unknown quantity at this point

yahoo!!! good people are gathered here.. really lucky to be petfinder member.. full of good people.. See ya all there!
Old 09-22-2008, 03:24 PM
Founder, PetFinder.my

ashley,

thanks for your suggestions. unfortunately, i don't think there is sufficient room to bring in advertisers and setup more booths for this event - it is not as large scale as the bukit jalil event earlier. moreover, the logistics and events have already been prepared and finalized by FFF.

also, i dont think there would be extra room to bring your own cats to be put there and showcased as the area is not large enough. we will be using every possible section of the space available to put up cats for adoption.

please keep in contact with your distributors, as we can definitely make good use of them as exhibitors in future events where we have a better control and preparation of. in fact, you can invite them to participate in our website for now - list their products at services at our directory section, so they can instantly get better exposure among our members and we can gauge how well received their products are.

i will let you know once we've confirmed the exact area in which the exhibition is taking place, and the most suitable place to unload the cats.
Old 09-22-2008, 05:09 PM
Banned

Hi andy

understand the logistics. don't worry, i'll still come by to volunteer.

i'm still in touch with the distributors, i bug them from time to time when their products is out of stock and they will have bear with my "complaints". but jokes aside, they're great and passioanate about their products and provide excellence service plus tips. hence i stay with them.

do they need to pay anything to advertise here? that's a good idea. some of them have their own websites but i dobut they'd mind more exposure.

i'll stay tune for more info
Old 09-23-2008, 01:07 AM
Founder, PetFinder.my

hi ashley,

the directory listing is entirely free for now. i'd like to have them link back to petfinder's website, to increase awareness of pet adoption among their customers. please put them in touch with me should they have any questions on posting items at the directory.

i've updated the day's itinerary at the first post, please check it out thanks.
Old 09-23-2008, 06:03 PM
Banned

hi andy

thanks for the explanation will be checking on the 1st post for updates

Old 09-24-2008, 11:04 AM
Animal Lover

herher is on a distinguished road

hi, can i bring at least 2 kittens? i just found them yesterday in a lorong behind a cafe in uptown. they are 5 of them, i went to the vet, will bring them back for check up in a week time.

vet said they can eat dry food but turn out they only fancy canned food
my room(renting outside myself) is not cat-proof, they're all in two boxes (3 & 2), put litter sand inside too. one of them is really really skinny which worried me
Old 09-25-2008, 02:50 PM
Addicted to Cats..

meowbaby is on a distinguished road
Smile Re: Pet Adoption Drive - Bangsar Village, Oct 4

yeay can't wait for the adoption drive.. i prefer not to go to open house for raya just to go to the adoption drive..yay! i love kitties..!!
Old 09-29-2008, 12:01 AM
Founder, PetFinder.my

Latest updates from Sabrina:

The revised timing for cat adoption is from 4:30pm - 7:00pm. You can arrive at the location between 3:30 - 4:30pm to set up the cats.

The exact location is at Jalan Telawi 1, along the pavement beneath the overhead bridge between Bangsar Village 1 & 2.

To the rescuers wishing to showcase your cats that have not yet contacted me, please PM me your contact details asap and state the number of cats you wish to bring for adoption.

We will finalize with each of you the number of cats you can bring as there is limited capacity at the booth.

Thanks!
Old 09-29-2008, 09:04 AM
PetFinder Guru

lynielime is on a distinguished road

hi andy, i only have two kittens of adoptable age now. the thing is, they are very very shy and afraid of strangers. i am the only person they are not afraid of and i'm worried that a crowded public place will be very stressful for them. do you think i should still bring them to the adoption drive? or perhaps it is better if i continue to look for adopters through this website instead of putting them through that ordeal.. what do you think? i can still volunteer even if i don't bring them..
Old 09-29-2008, 09:45 AM
Banned

4.30pm till 7.30pm?

so that venue is outdoors. if it turns out to be a very hot day, may i suggest we put up standing fans strategically to move the air? it could get very stuffy and stressful for the cats in cages . if it's a hot day that day, the heat wave won't pass until at least until after sundown.

can we ask if FFF can provide standing fans and the required extension cords?

just a thought.

i'd just drop by to volunteer my help then.
Old 09-29-2008, 05:05 PM
Pets Are NOT Disposable

FurKids is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynielime View Post
hi andy, i only have two kittens of adoptable age now. the thing is, they are very very shy and afraid of strangers. i am the only person they are not afraid of and i'm worried that a crowded public place will be very stressful for them. do you think i should still bring them to the adoption drive? or perhaps it is better if i continue to look for adopters through this website instead of putting them through that ordeal.. what do you think? i can still volunteer even if i don't bring them..
I know what you mean, sounds just like my kids. Yes, it would be extremely, extremely stressful for them! None of my kids can ever be brought to a public place. Even the presence of the gas delivery man walking past their cages to go to the kitchen is enough to send them flinging against the sides of the cages violently in an attempt to flee. And the guy actually decided to stop and admire them (they have beautiful fur because I do not stinge on cheap low quality kibbles) ... I had to chase him away quick!
"We organized in the past to make Trap-Neuter-Return possible. Today, we organize to make Trap-Neuter-Return the norm and to end the unnecessary killing of cats in animal shelters across the country and provide humane care." - Alley Cat Allies
Old 09-29-2008, 05:15 PM
PetFinder Guru

lynielime is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by FurKids View Post
I know what you mean, sounds just like my kids. Yes, it would be extremely, extremely stressful for them! None of my kids can ever be brought to a public place. Even the presence of the gas delivery man walking past their cages to go to the kitchen is enough to send them flinging against the sides of the cages violently in an attempt to flee. And the guy actually decided to stop and admire them (they have beautiful fur because I do not stinge on cheap low quality kibbles) ... I had to chase him away quick!
sighhhhhh* my poor poor little foster boys.. i don't know what to do anymore. its beginning to look like they can't be adopted by anyone. i haven't met anyone patient enough to adopt them and then slowly gain their trust and get to know them. are true animal lovers so few and far between? doesn't anyone want to put in that little effort to build the relationship? it has taken me 2 months to gain their trust and that makes me appreciate each time i hug or pet them so much more.

yeah ok i won't bring them to the adoption drive. i don't want to upset them. they are fragile enough already.
Old 09-29-2008, 11:25 PM
Founder, PetFinder.my

Yes, if your cat is easily stressed, then I don't think it'd be suitable for public adoption. It really depends on the cat - I've seen some very timid ones in the past event, but also bold ones that are very friendly and sociable, which would undoubtedly receive a lot of attention and get adopted easily.

In any case, you can always bring the cat along and see its reaction to public attention. I do not think that there would be a huge crowd or loud blaring music (like at the earlier Jalil event), so generally I believe it would be fine. In the event that it appears stressed, you can always cut the showcase short and bring it home - the area is easily accessible by car, so you would have no problems loading and unloading the cat.

It is nevertheless good exposure for your cat, and who knows, it might just meet its beloved new family there - just like Alice's cat Chin which found a really awesome adopter at Bukit Jalil - the way that guy gently handled the cat with such love and care forever sticks in my mind.

According to Sabrina, we can showcase about 20 cats, so there should be enough room for each of you to bring a few cats there.

Please confirm you and the cats' attendance asap so I can brief Sabrina on the finalized details.
Old 09-30-2008, 12:07 PM
Pet Epicurean

aliciahorsley is on a distinguished road

I have 45 cats looking for homes. Could i have a few spaces please. andy, can i have your email address?
Our pets eat PINK raw food

Last edited by AndyKoh; 09-30-2008 at 01:39 PM.
Old 09-30-2008, 01:43 PM
Founder, PetFinder.my

Hi Alicia,

No problem, we can allocate some spaces to you. I have emailed you my contact details, please reply with your contact number as well.

Can you tell me more about the cats - are they all rescued ones? Would you like to try finding homes for them through PetFinder? You can easily create pet profiles and upload their photos at the main PetFinder site.

Btw, the website http://feralfriendmalaysia.com/ linked in your signature does not seem to work, maybe a typo?