Go

Go Back   PetFinder.my > The Animal Corner > Cats & Kittens > Health, Disease & Diet

Health, Disease & Diet Find out the best tips and practices on managing your cat's diet, health care, and issues with diseases from our community of animal lovers

Old 09-10-2012, 01:11 PM
PetFinder Guru

Meffy is on a distinguished road
Default Pet Food quality

Recently, I bought my monthly supply of canned cat food. I normally feed my cat Fussie Cat because that's the only brand she'll eat. I notice the quality of the food is not the same as the previous batch that I have bought.

The food used to be solid and compactly packed into the can where if you shake the can, you can't hear watery sounds. Now however, the food looks watery and soft. It's the same for all the cans I've bought. It looks disgusting and even my cat looks at it suspiciously.

It also made my cat vomit and have diarrhea

Another brand I tried is Avoderm. Is it always soft, soggy and watery?

What other can food should I try? (not Whiskas or Friskies)
Old 09-10-2012, 02:45 PM
PetFinder Buddy

Kynthia is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Pet Food quality

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meffy View Post

Hi Meffy, I have tried Avoderm. It is not soft and watery... In fact I think it looks and smells good. Without jelly... ground meat... Has texture like corn beef.

Another good brand that I have tried is EVO canned food.
Old 09-10-2012, 09:37 PM
Petfinder Moderator

Maneki Neko is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Recently, I bought my monthly supply of canned cat food. I normally feed my cat Fussie Cat because that's the only brand she'll eat. I notice the quality of the food is not the same as the previous batch that I have bought.

The food used to be solid and compactly packed into the can where if you shake the can, you can't hear watery sounds. Now however, the food looks watery and soft. It's the same for all the cans I've bought. It looks disgusting and even my cat looks at it suspiciously.

Hi, Meffy -- the premium brands of cat food seem to come in 2 consistencies: either chunky or smooth. The Avoderm is definitely a premium brand, and it's consistently smooth. The EVO that Kynthia mentioned is another in this category, as is California Natural.

The Addiction wet foods tend to be more on the chunky side.

Go! and Natural Balance are other very reputable wet food brands.

I've just tried KiwiSafe, which is a grain-free wet food. It's chunky, mixed with good vegetables, and it does not contain that gelling agent used in fabric softener. It's about half the price of the Addiction for the same size can. I expect there is some decrease in quality, but I can't spot it from reading the label, and my cats eat it readily.

Last edited by Maneki Neko; 09-10-2012 at 10:27 PM.
Old 09-10-2012, 11:44 PM
PetFinder Guru

Rayquaza17 is on a distinguished road

Or you can try addiction? They say is quite good plus it have no jelly. :D
Old 09-12-2012, 08:14 AM
Animal Lover

fishit is on a distinguished road

you can try nature's variety instinct (grain-free) or nature's variety prairie (it has grain but the type of grain is not dangerous compared to other products). it's a bit expensive but it's definitely better for your cat. i've tried avoderm and innova evo. i've read that avocado is kinda dangerous to be fed to cats as it is toxic and evo has careegeenan in it which i think can cause cancer. sorry i can't explain in details but you can google for further information.

i'm very particular with the ingredients of the food that i'm giving to my cats as they sometimes have diarrhea and one of it has history of vomitting. hope it helps.
Old 09-19-2012, 09:45 PM
PetFinder Guru

I wish I lived in KL where there are so many varieties of cat food to choose from ): Most of the brands you mentioned are not found in JB where I live. I'm willing to buy online if the shops are willing to mail them to me.
Old 09-19-2012, 09:46 PM
PetFinder Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayquaza17 View Post
Or you can try addiction? They say is quite good plus it have no jelly. :D
Have you tried for your cat? How does it look? Is it soft and the 'lembik' type?
How much is one can?
Old 09-19-2012, 10:22 PM
Petfinder Moderator

Maneki Neko is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Have you tried for your cat? How does it look? Is it soft and the 'lembik' type?
How much is one can?
Hi, Meffy! My 2 girls love the Addiction wet food. The salmon/potato is more of a paste consistency, but the other flavours -- venison, unagi and brushtail possum -- are chunky. As Rayquaza said, they don't contain that nasty gelling agent used in fabric softeners, and the range of different proteins and vegetables provides variation in the diet. The list price on the 6.5 oz can is RM6.80. It's a bit larger than the typical cans.
Old 09-27-2012, 09:31 PM
Animal Lover

zatt is on a distinguished road

Quote:

Hi Meefy,
I just about to try Fussie Cat until I read this.. So, do u still feeding them fussie cat? How is the texture, chunky or "lembik"??

Im prefer feeding a chunky wet food

Which fussie flavour do you use to feed them? Really want to try chicken flavour? How the texture?
Old 09-27-2012, 11:38 PM
PetFinder Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by zatt View Post
Hi Meefy,
I just about to try Fussie Cat until I read this.. So, do u still feeding them fussie cat? How is the texture, chunky or "lembik"??

Im prefer feeding a chunky wet food

Which fussie flavour do you use to feed them? Really want to try chicken flavour? How the texture?
I tried b4 Fussie Cat. Okay.. Not bad. Even though my cats like it I keep it to a limit. It got small slices of those meat depending on what you choose really.
Old 09-27-2012, 11:40 PM
PetFinder Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maneki Neko View Post
Hi, Meffy! My 2 girls love the Addiction wet food. The salmon/potato is more of a paste consistency, but the other flavours -- venison, unagi and brushtail possum -- are chunky. As Rayquaza said, they don't contain that nasty gelling agent used in fabric softeners, and the range of different proteins and vegetables provides variation in the diet. The list price on the 6.5 oz can is RM6.80. It's a bit larger than the typical cans.

Yes, Like what Maneki Neko said above. They are quite how to say..wide? Anyway, My cat can't finish a can in a day. Maybe they are just not used to it.

I got 2 free from a pet event. Maybe if they have one, like for Johor, there is gonna be a pet exhibition soon. You can go get some from there as sample?
Old 09-28-2012, 09:23 AM
Animal Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayquaza17 View Post
Yes, Like what Maneki Neko said above. They are quite how to say..wide? Anyway, My cat can't finish a can in a day. Maybe they are just not used to it.

I got 2 free from a pet event. Maybe if they have one, like for Johor, there is gonna be a pet exhibition soon. You can go get some from there as sample?
thx rayquaza17..

So which flavor did u try? planning to get chicken since I heard that giving fish/tuna is not good for cat for regular diet? is that true??

How is the texture of chicken flavor? used to feed with fancy feast, the chicken meat is in small diced cut which is good!

fyi im giving my cat wet food daily for their dinner.... other than that, feeding them with evo dry kibbles.
Old 09-28-2012, 10:59 PM
PetFinder Guru

Hi Zatt,

Actually yes, it is not that good for cat I mean chicken and tuna. But it's still alright to give them some but just not too much should be fine. I heard there is one type of tuna that is safe.. I read b4 somewhere but I just can't remember it...

It's how to say? Shredded? But fussie cat is more to tuna hehe.. ''
Old 09-29-2012, 03:32 PM
Animal Lover

Thx Rayquaza..

If not mistaken there another flavor of fussie cats, chicken with vegetable and brown rice.. have u try that?

Looking foward to try it out soon...

Yes, tuna is the most available wet food for cats... personally i dont prefer tuna, but my cats will go crazy for it...
Old 09-29-2012, 06:52 PM
PetFinder Guru

Oh really? I must have miss it then if I haven't heard about it. Qiut is also not bad. My cats go crazy for it. It's also Tuna but I heard is those which are healthy for cats to eat :P Still, anyway, yeah, you can try it :)
Old 10-02-2012, 12:12 PM
PetFinder Guru

Hi Zatt,

Sorry for the late reply. Yes, I'm still feeding my cat Fussie Cat. I'm feeding her the small 80g cans because it's better quality than the 400g ones. The texture is solid and not 'lembik' like Avoderm. It comes in 6 flavors too. Out of the 6 flavors, only one is Chicken with Brown Rice and Vegetables. The rest are tuna based.

My cat eats one small can a day because I add other yummy things. Here's what I add on:-

1 boiled egg
half carrot, cut in small dices
half a small potato, cut in small dices
1 chicken breast
1 ikan kembong/ ikan selar

A) Boil the whole egg with carrot and potatoes in a pot. Once the potatoes and carrots are soft, take out and let it cool. Peel the egg and mash together with the potatoes and carrots. You can add a tiny bit of salt for taste.

b) Boil the chicken breast and fish. Once cooked, cut the chicken into bite sizes. Debone the fish and remove the meat. Mix chicken and fish meat together.

C) Add ingredient A into the mix. Put in blender or mash it manually.

Mix it properly. Divide into portions and store in small little containers for each meal. At feeding time, I will add in one small can of Fussie cat. For my cat, this will last about 3 - 4 days of breakfast and dinner. In between meals, I give her Blackwood since she's all alone at home for 12 hours a day

Since my cat eats canned food regularly, this recipe will give it extra nutrition from the home made meal and saves you money. You can also add vitamin supplements if you want.

Quote:
Thx Rayquaza..

If not mistaken there another flavor of fussie cats, chicken with vegetable and brown rice.. have u try that?

Looking foward to try it out soon...

Yes, tuna is the most available wet food for cats... personally i dont prefer tuna, but my cats will go crazy for it...
Old 10-06-2012, 12:51 PM
Animal Lover

Thx rayquaza n meffy

I wish i have all the skills to make home food... hehhee... even cooking is not a talent in me...

Guys, just want to ask, is it ok if we feed our cats with variety of wet food? For example more than 1 brand or flavor... i knew for dry food, we cannot just change their regular food rite... Which cause stomach upset in cat...

And, do u think that cats can over eating if we put to much wet food in their bowl?

Sometime i just curious whether i give them enough portion of wet food or too much..
Old 10-06-2012, 02:36 PM
PetFinder Guru

I have a few different brands of wet food but most of them is Fussie Cat. Sometimes I give my cat a different brand once or twice a week and so far she's okay.

How much a cat eats depends on the cat's eating habit/pattern. You have to watch how your cat eats.

Does your cat eat everything at one go or does it eat a few bites and come back later to continue? If it's the type that cleans up the bowl at one go, then it is likely to overfeed if you put too much into the bowl.

How much do you normally give?

Quote:
Thx rayquaza n meffy

I wish i have all the skills to make home food... hehhee... even cooking is not a talent in me...

Guys, just want to ask, is it ok if we feed our cats with variety of wet food? For example more than 1 brand or flavor... i knew for dry food, we cannot just change their regular food rite... Which cause stomach upset in cat...

And, do u think that cats can over eating if we put to much wet food in their bowl?

Sometime i just curious whether i give them enough portion of wet food or too much..
Old 10-06-2012, 03:14 PM
Animal Lover

Both of them eat all at once. I put their dry food so that they can have it at any time.. but when it come to wet food, they will attack the food like crazy..

To my observation, one of them will stop eating when he is full (i think), but another one will eat as long as there is a wetfood in the bowl, so i need to take the bowl away... just that i dont know if they really have enough or not....

Meffy, have u try fussie cats chicken and vegetable with brown rice? Hows the texture?
Old 10-07-2012, 12:25 AM
PetFinder Guru

Quote:
Thx rayquaza n meffy

-------------------------------------
Both of them eat all at once. I put their dry food so that they can have it at any time.. but when it come to wet food, they will attack the food like crazy..

To my observation, one of them will stop eating when he is full (i think), but another one will eat as long as there is a wetfood in the bowl, so i need to take the bowl away... just that i dont know if they really have enough or not....

Meffy, have u try fussie cats chicken and vegetable with brown rice? Hows the texture?
Hi Zatt,

For your first one, It actually depends on the cat. Like my Persian mix, her stomach is stronger thus I can change her food all the time without her vomiting nor complaining. But for my MC, if she change her food often, she will vomit but that is also not often. Just that her stomach is a little weaker.

And for your second question,

If you are scared of overfeeding your cat, make a practice of giving them a cup every meal. For overage cat, is different. My mix persian, she is 9 years old. Her digestion is changing like us humans when we are old. She will only eat a little per little cause her stomach can only take a little per time. For my MC, I left her food for her but I don't put much. I gave her two scoops. Only until she finish, then only I refill.

But of course, it depends~