Go

Go Back   PetFinder.my > Pet Welfare, Rescue & Adoption > Animal Organizations & Societies > SPCA

SPCA All discussions and information related to the non-profit SPCA organization. SPCA is the Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals.

Old 02-16-2009, 01:10 PM
Exotics Breeder

Kulaifornia_Cattery is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to Kulaifornia_Cattery
Default SPCA News Alert: 45 abandoned cats rescued

This is a copied message received from spca at my email today:

News From SPCA Selangor
For release on Sunday, 15th Feb 2009

On Friday, 13th February 2009, the SPCA Selangor Front Office received a call from the management office of an apartment complex in Ampang. Neighbours had been complaining about the stench emanating from an apartment where some cats had been abandoned, when the tenant suddenly disappeared.

Nothing could have prepared SPCA Staff for what they found in the apartment.

Friday

SPCA driver Rajesparan went to the apartment on Friday afternoon to survey the situation and remove the cats. Upon entering the apartment, the smell of animal waste was suffocating. The living room floor was covered in pools of faeces and urine. There were dozens of cats in the living room, kitchen, wash area and even on the air-conditioning units hovering above the balcony. He managed to rescue 11 cats and kittens that afternoon, and left plenty of food and water for the remaining cats until they could be rescued the following day.

Food and water had been left behind until SPCA staff returned the next morning

Their owners had allegedly vacated the apartment two months ago, apparently leaving behind their maid with the cats. The maid had run away in last two weeks, leaving the cats without access to food or water and living in layers of filth. The majority of the cats and kittens were in a heart-wrenching state – emaciated, sick or suffering from bad skin conditions. All of them were frightened and almost feral in their behaviour.

5-6 cats were perched on the air-con units or on the metal brackets

Saturday
On Saturday morning at 10am, SPCA staff Lursamy and Jacinta Johnson, and Global Animal Welfare Solutions (GAWS) consultant Glyn Roberts went to retrieve the balance of the cats and kittens.

There was a lone cat sitting in the living room balcony, which scrambled away when the team entered. Hovering above the balcony clinging tightly to the air-conditioning units were another 6-7 cats. After checking that the bedrooms were clear of cats, the team proceeded to the kitchen.

The wash area where cats hid one on top of the other among the carriers and rubbish

Adjoining the kitchen was a wash area, where several cages, carriers and a cat condo had been stacked. Two litterboxes on the floor were filled to the brim with faeces and urine, and the floor was covered in animal waste as well. More than 30 petrified faces met ours – there were cats and kittens clinging onto the cages, climbing up the windows, stuffed in carriers and hidden among the rubbish on the floor. After clearing the kitchen of broken glass, scattered utensils and debris, the cats were shoo-ed into the kitchen a few at a time. Glyn and Samy used special gloves and a pole to catch them and place them securely into cages, moving them in batches into the living room.

Lursamy attempts to catch one of the less nervous cats, after getting a deep scratch from another

"It is likely that the owners let the cats breed out of control and then confined most of the growing kittens in the wash room area. It would have taken months to get this bad. Due to the large number and lack of human contact the cats had become semi-feral and difficult to handle. Be a responsible pet owner and always get your cat or dog neutered. Don't leave the SPCA to pick up the pieces,” comments Roberts.

34 cats and kittens were retrieved on Saturday. One cat had managed to climb out the wash area window, while 5-6 other cats were perched on the air-con units in the living room balcony. Not wanting to provoke them and risk them falling 4-floors down, the team left the doors open so that cats could climb back down safely and go into the apartment to eat, drink and rest.

The 45 cats and kittens were brought back and are housed temporarily at the SPCA Cat Quarantine area. Sadly, 20 cats had to be euthanized on Sunday morning as they were very sick and weak. The other cats are under observation for the next few days, after which they will either be vaccinated and put up for adoption, placed in foster homes or euthanized humanely.

SPCA Staff will be going back to rescue the balance of the cats on Monday. The apartment management will be forwarding SPCA copies of a police report that they lodged, whilst they also try to track down the tenant through the owner of the apartment.

p/s I think manusia yang buat biarkan kucing macam ini tidak boleh dipanggil manusia lagi ataupun haiwan sekalipun. Mereka ini martabatnya lebih rendah dan keji daripada apa-apa makhluk di dunia ini.

--

KULAIFORNIA EXOTICS
Where Cats Are Loved
www.kulaiforniacats.webs.com
Old 02-16-2009, 01:15 PM
PetFinder Moderator

dog is my buddy has disabled reputation
Default Re: SPCA News Alert: 45 abandoned cats rescued

Thank for sharing, first time heard this kind news. SPCA done the great job for rescue.

Sometimes,things in life are out of our control. We just need to accept the fact.
Rocky, Ricky and Rusty is my best friend.
Old 02-16-2009, 01:49 PM
Animal Lover

June is on a distinguished road

This news should serve as a lesson to all cat/dog owners to neuter your pet. The previous owner let the cat breed until he/she unable to control anymore and just leave the cats on their own.

mcm abg Razani kata,ini bukan manusia atau pun haiwan tp lebih teruk dari tu
Old 02-16-2009, 03:02 PM
PetFinder Guru

Sashy is on a distinguished road

wow the owners should be fined upside down and never allowed to rear any pets anymore. Sadly the fine is what, RM 200 max? Hopefully its per animal. How could they let the cats get into that state? and the fact that they lived with 40 cats in an apartment is crazy ... how unhygienic can you get? Each cat poo and pee 1 time per day, I don't think 2 litterboxes is enough to handle, and the stench .. ewwww. If I were the maid, I would also cabut. Kesian the SPCA people who had to go into that apartment thats been left abandoned for 2 weeks. Kudo's to them. Poor cats and kittens that had to be put to sleep through no fault of their own.

The owners should be jailed. Or shot.
Old 02-16-2009, 06:34 PM
Petfinder Moderator

blackie007 has disabled reputation

OMG!!! The poor cats & kittens! I can't imagine living in such filth and having no access to food and water for weeks. No wonder they are frightened.

I hope the owner of those cats are fined and penalised kaw-kaw!!
Old 06-12-2009, 11:54 AM
PetFinder Guru

booboo is on a distinguished road

*()&()&(^*&^$&^$#@#$&^(*_(*(^&^$&#%^
im so so so mad
Old 06-16-2009, 11:07 AM
Human :-)

prinz38i is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to prinz38i

HI all,

I received a complain from my colleague saying that his neighbour have almost 10 cat but did not really taking care of them. The population is keep on increasing. Also some of the 'new comer' that not survived did not burried well and just left in the middle of the road. Some more, those cats keep on poo and pee everywhere and behind my colleague house and also sometime in his compound. He talk to the owner but none action taken.

What we can do to help him? He is not a cat person, but still good, he did not hit those cat. He asked my help to do something to those cat, so here I am asking more help because I can't handle this alone as there are strays still stranded in my house
Old 06-16-2009, 06:40 PM
Animal Lover

Ask your friend to catch the cats and send for neuter without the owner's kknowledge.sometimes we have to do lanun thing to solve problem.Once dah kena and recover return the cat back to the house quietly. Obviously this is bad owner and he/she couldn't be bother abt other people or his/her neighbour.So do the lanun thing

Quote:
Originally Posted by prinz38i View Post
HI all,

I received a complain from my colleague saying that his neighbour have almost 10 cat but did not really taking care of them. The population is keep on increasing. Also some of the 'new comer' that not survived did not burried well and just left in the middle of the road. Some more, those cats keep on poo and pee everywhere and behind my colleague house and also sometime in his compound. He talk to the owner but none action taken.

What we can do to help him? He is not a cat person, but still good, he did not hit those cat. He asked my help to do something to those cat, so here I am asking more help because I can't handle this alone as there are strays still stranded in my house
Old 06-17-2009, 12:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by June View Post
Ask your friend to catch the cats and send for neuter without the owner's kknowledge.sometimes we have to do lanun thing to solve problem.Once dah kena and recover return the cat back to the house quietly. Obviously this is bad owner and he/she couldn't be bother abt other people or his/her neighbour.So do the lanun thing
Yup, suggested that already. But off course he don't want to bare the cost. Cannot blame him also coz he is not a cat person. He want to find a dog to prevent those cat to come into his house.. but still the cats will be abondened coz the owner pun just ignored them... kesian. It think kalo tangkap and bawak lari pun, sure owner tu tak kesah. Coz I think that what the owner want pun.
Old 06-17-2009, 11:53 AM
Animal Lover

mcm tu prinz,masalah tak blh selesai.akak blh agak ending of this story.ada org akan amik this cats and throw it somewhere else

Quote:
Originally Posted by prinz38i View Post
Yup, suggested that already. But off course he don't want to bare the cost. Cannot blame him also coz he is not a cat person. He want to find a dog to prevent those cat to come into his house.. but still the cats will be abondened coz the owner pun just ignored them... kesian. It think kalo tangkap and bawak lari pun, sure owner tu tak kesah. Coz I think that what the owner want pun.
Old 06-17-2009, 12:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by June View Post
mcm tu prinz,masalah tak blh selesai.akak blh agak ending of this story.ada org akan amik this cats and throw it somewhere else
Yup.. takut tu lah jugak.. tgk laa nnt I discuss with my fren, wat project weekend tangkap sket2