Go

Go Back   PetFinder.my > The Animal Corner > Dogs & Puppies > Training & Behavioral Issues

Training & Behavioral Issues Does your dog have an attitude, or just simply refuses to listen to you? Share it with your peers here and learn more about a cat's behavior and training methods

Old 09-03-2008, 01:40 AM
Animal Lover

Juztiny is on a distinguished road
Default Rage Syndrome

I know a friend through a forum, they bought a mixed cocker spaniel puppy, love him and raise him as their own kid. Now the dog just turned one year old, and started to show rage syndrome, attacking the owner for no reason. The bite was quite bad (they showed me the injury picture)...and this is not the first time attack.The young couple was thinking of giving up the dog for adoption.

I personally think it is not easy to find a good home for him, as the adopter has to be very experienced in handling this kind of rage syndrome dog. But to euthanize the dog also very cruel too...any other suggestion?
Old 09-03-2008, 01:50 AM
CEO, EzerNET

Ezer has disabled reputation
Default Re: Rage Syndrome

Huh? First time i heard of rage symdrome.. you sure the owners didn't abuse the dog?
Old 09-03-2008, 09:32 AM
PetFinder Guru

lynielime is on a distinguished road

wow yeah that's totally weird.. i've never heard of rage syndrome before either.. will google it..
Old 09-03-2008, 09:36 AM
PetFinder Guru

lynielime is on a distinguished road

check out these articles about rage in cocker spaniels

http://www.dogstuff.info/cocker_rage_syndrome.html
http://www.http://www.vetinfo4dogs.c...aggression.htm
Old 09-03-2008, 10:32 AM
PetFinder Guru

acsyen is on a distinguished road

I have known about this not too long ago and i believe I have a GR with this problem. And I did not put down the dog. Just have to find someone who can bear this problem and can 'move away' fast enough before they get bitten at that point of time. Otherwise just give it to someone who will keep the dog in kennels for the rest of it's life and only let out to play a bit, poo and pee. Poor dog but can't be help this is the result from lousy breeders. And the owner has to bear the responsibility if not no one else will.
Old 09-03-2008, 10:56 AM
Animal Lover

Dunker is on a distinguished road

One can look at it this way, every year many many dogs die in spca and paws, many of them sweet wonderful dogs who would be saved if only someone would adopt them. many of them are put down just because they don't have a home and an owner to go to. then you come across a dog which attacks his/her owner. To give it up for someone to adopt is cruel and an insult to other dogs who are good and have their lives taken because no one adopts them. Just look at the first page of this site...look at their faces, look at their eyes, and remember some or all of them may not live to see Christmas if they are not adopted. SO the hard fact for me is that, dogs who attack their owners don't deserve owners. Although i will do my level best to not put down dogs but a dogs that attacks its own owner is a prime candidate for euthanasia.
Old 09-03-2008, 11:01 AM
Animal Lover

I advised the couple to try to think in this perspective:-

If you are blessed with a handicap and mentally challenge baby,

1) Will you ask the doctor to terminate his life, because he is a burden to you for life? or
2) Take this as a test from God that to see how you both could handle a life like this, if you could value this life, then you would be blessed bountifully in the future.

Firstly try to neuter him and see, whether this will reduce his aggression or not. If all methods had tried, and the dog no longer could obey the owner, then will probably have to put him in the shelter somewhere in JB runs by Singaporean. I heard that shelter will spare all animal's life.
Old 09-03-2008, 01:14 PM
Animal Lover

Ferreted is an unknown quantity at this point

ach.. what a poor condition! one say deranged puppies.

Quote:
"Each case requires individual attention and what is prescribed for one dog may not work for another. Some treatments that have been recommended and tried are: change of diet, the use of d-amphetamine, vitamin B12 therapy, Oculucidon, neutering and progestagen therapy, anticonvulsants and behaviour modification techniques aimed at changing the dominance status of owners".

from http://members.lycos.co.uk/ragesyndr...whatisrage.htm
Old 09-03-2008, 01:36 PM
Animal Lover

Dunker is on a distinguished road

Be as it may, I agree with that analogy, that is why I do not think that dog should be up for adoption in the first place. We do not at this point know what cause the aggression, as eazer pointed it could be abuse or mismanagement (improper training and socialization) both could be the fault of the owners if this was the case.

Lets leave the god part out, one would think it is sort of defeats the purpose if one uses rewards form god as a motivating factor to do good (yep, i know it works with dogs...somtimes). So if they can't managed it then they should not just pass the buck to others. I agree with neutering and also visit a trainer for advice. as I said before even in shelters, that dog will take up space which could easily be given to a loving stray. I am not advocating the dog be put down but if it was to be put up for adoption after all efforts have failed then putting him down would be in my opinion a better option. (Remember this is just an opinion nothing more, I except I can and may be wrong)

I hope i did not come across as too offensive. Such was not my intention. I do question sometimes, who gave us (owners, vets and people in general) the right to take another's life. To understand why I have a hard line stance on the matter of tossing the dog up for adoption is simple. Just try working in a shelter like paws and/or spca for a week, not a day or a weekend but an entire week. wash, play, clean and feed these animals for a week. Watch how they greet you, wag their tails and lick your face when they see you. then in the end of the week watch one by one of them get taken away and be put down. On the first day one works with strays, on the last day they were not just strays anymore but Bobby, Susie, John, Max and so on and they are to be put down because no one wants them. After going true something like that, trust me you would not see the world and that Cocker's antics the same again. most of all one would understand the irony of dog being god spelled backwards.
Old 09-03-2008, 03:48 PM
CEO, EzerNET

Dunker, you made some very good points. My very first suspicion would be that hte owner is mistreating the dog... This is usually the case... Most dogs would not attack it's owner.. but if this is a genuine case of rage syndrome, then the Feretted's suggestions are sound. Try to heal your dog first.. and if everything else fails, then only find someone who may know how to manage the dog... Euthanasia would be a very very last resort!

Here's a point to ponder: We always here about maids running away... A lot of times we never hear the maid's point of views. A lot of malaysians mistreat their maids and turn them into slaves. With that kind of working conditions, even a dog would run away!
Old 09-03-2008, 03:59 PM
Animal Lover

June is on a distinguished road
Default Rage Syndrome

I agree with you Ezer.I never heard this Rage Syndrome before with dogs.Most dogs will only attack someone who they think is a threat to them.funny ler.maybe the owner abuse the dog?? Abuse means hit and kick the dog??

Talking about mistreat maids,my neighbour 2 doors away from me actually mistreat/abuse their maid.The maid "tumpang" my mailbox to receive letters from his family as her boss not allowed her to receive phone calls/letters from her family.No Christmas or Hari Raya break for her too.Pity her.She has another year to endure this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ezer View Post
Dunker, you made some very good points. My very first suspicion would be that hte owner is mistreating the dog... This is usually the case... Most dogs would not attack it's owner.. but if this is a genuine case of rage syndrome, then the Feretted's suggestions are sound. Try to heal your dog first.. and if everything else fails, then only find someone who may know how to manage the dog... Euthanasia would be a very very last resort!

Here's a point to ponder: We always here about maids running away... A lot of times we never hear the maid's point of views. A lot of malaysians mistreat their maids and turn them into slaves. With that kind of working conditions, even a dog would run away!
Old 09-03-2008, 04:10 PM
Animal Lover

Ferreted is an unknown quantity at this point

ahh cheap suggestion.. the owner can put muffs on the dog when they're not caged (tie outside, play a while) as the attack are like epilepsy (not all the time) put mittens on their paws..

maybe having a crazy dog would warrant your house free of thieves. life in more confinement and therapy is better than being put down "like a dog".
Old 09-03-2008, 04:59 PM
Animal Lover

As far as I know the couple really sayang and treat their dog very nice like their own kid. He was allowed to sit with them together while watching TV on sofa. According to the owner, the dog was sitting on her lap, and as usual she is patting the dog's body and out of sudden the dog attack her for no reason.

That description really fits the rage syndrome behaviour.
Old 09-03-2008, 05:54 PM
CEO, EzerNET

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juztiny View Post
As far as I know the couple really sayang and treat their dog very nice like their own kid. He was allowed to sit with them together while watching TV on sofa. According to the owner, the dog was sitting on her lap, and as usual she is patting the dog's body and out of sudden the dog attack her for no reason.

That description really fits the rage syndrome behaviour.
Yeah... that makes sense then.... I think this type of case are very, very small but they do happen...
Old 10-15-2008, 03:42 PM
Banned

ashleywong is on a distinguished road

i wonder if food or chemical in food is the cause of this. we have often heard of research into children/adults (humans) with nerve or motor neuron dissabilities that showed marked improvement when certain elements/chemicals were removed from their food.

we're all very complex organism - there's no complete record/manual on how to maintain an organism as complex as us on this earth - most of the time, study is done on "dead" specimen and the results will provide "inference", assumptions"..

we're all like work in progress and we know and learn as we go along.

maybe if your friend is willing to explore this part about food intake affecting the behavioural pattern in dogs - ? anything is worth a try

i understand dunker (dr)'s stand and point of view. i share his thoughts and views on shelter animals...

in a way, when a human bring a companion animal into his life, he is essentially claiming responsibility for that companion animal through thick and thin, through sickness and health, do death do us part. to just give up for adoption as the easy way out is not only cowardly but unjust and unfair to the other dogs at the shelters because each second that passes is against them and each so-called" pedigree dog that is released to a shelter is like a death knell to another dog at that shelter, especially if the dog is not a 'pedigree' dog.

the problem comes from human, therefore human must solve it was humanely as possible and to exhaust all possible means and venues.

sometimes i wonder why human beings with their ignorant cruel streak is the dominant animal on this earth - what twist of fate happened that gives us "power" to play god over other fauna and flora? boggles the mind right?
Old 11-01-2008, 02:31 PM
PetFinder Guru

BellXun is on a distinguished road
Cool Re: Rage Syndrome

I saw this sickness in Australian TV once in a dog training program. It is common syndrome for pet that are 'too loved' and 'too house contained'.

The reason behide the attacks are that The pets have so much feeling of affection towards the owner kept inside him/her everyday. then suddently the feeling of love of owner comes out once in a while and they bite very fiercely. all in the name of love.

This type of dogs are normally antisocial outside. and very obedient inside. If not treated/trained the bitting activities will be more and more often. But if restraining him/her, there is also a chance the love will turn into hate. then it becomes hate bites!. Hate bites are ofcouse harder to make it let go and might cause muclse tear if the dog jerks. nasty situation ur friend having.

Well, So, i guess this teaches us not to love our pets too much. if not the love will bite u back. hehe

I would advise the owner to take it for doggy training. Training improve the displine of the dog. Well trained dogs listen to commans, if u say stop they will stop. So they will be safe from the bites.

And for people in this forum. Please dont be so quick to judge the owner. sumtimes its not their fault. Personally I think its wrong to point the first finger without knowing the case more. If i am the owner and i am victimise by my most loved pet, the last thing i want is to be accused and victimise at forum too.

Am I right?

hehehe. hope things I saaid can help.

{h igh}
Old 11-24-2008, 02:51 AM
Animal Lover

stonestone is on a distinguished road

I was told that all working dogs (like the cocker spaniel) must not be sayang-ed too much. They are similar to the Rottweilers, Doberman, German Shepard, even Jack Russel Terrier.

All working dogs must be disciplied when young and be showed who's the master. A search at wikipedia shows that the English Cocker Spaniel was bred for hunting. So they have high energy levels which must be released everyday. If not, when the dog is older, they will somehow be agressive because he/she was not taught who's the boss.

Perhaps that's why she showed rage? This thing was told to me by a dog behaviourist. I think it's best your friend finds someone who is an expert in the cocker spaniel to guide her in handling her dog. The expert must be a cocker spaniel owner him/herself, then he/she can give your friend the best advices.

Hope this helps.
Old 11-29-2008, 12:48 AM
Animal Lover

Long time didn't check in here. I was quite busy for the last 2 months.

Just a quick update to you all, the couple will continue to keep their dog. They love the dog and understand their responsibility. So far so good, didn't hear any further attack issue from them.