Go

Go Back   PetFinder.my > The Animal Corner > Dogs & Puppies

Dogs & Puppies General information and discussions on taking care of your canine buddy

Closed Thread

Old 06-15-2009, 08:53 PM
Animal Lover

mr_eff is on a distinguished road
Default Can A Muslim Have A Dog?

hellow people

Im just wondering,can a Muslim adopt a dog?I mean im a muslim and i always wanted to adopt a dog.

Note : this is not a religion thread,just for opinion.

Old 06-15-2009, 09:26 PM
Animal Lover

cheeyeen is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Can A Muslim Have A Dog?

Of course!! I have seen so many Muslims friends of mine adopting dogs as their lovely pets.
No harm to keep a dog if you can, they will repay you their loyalty and guardian =)
I support you.
Old 06-15-2009, 09:44 PM
Animal Lover

mr_eff is on a distinguished road

yea..i do think so

but i think the problem is the mindset of our society (Malays of course)

my friend used 2 have dog too,but hve to gave it away because the neighbors were not comfortable with it (They were Malays)

i really really need an expert opinion on this

Old 06-15-2009, 11:22 PM
PetFinder Buddy

pandorabox78 is an unknown quantity at this point

never was there a problem to keep dogs... many of my muslim clients own dogs.... would probably be a neighbour thing though should they decide to complain on you......

just my 2 cents
Old 06-15-2009, 11:28 PM
Cayang Kucing

farahnm is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to farahnm

Hi Mr Eff,
As your question ask whether can a Muslim have a Dog, with no choice i need to touch little bit on the religious issue.
I hope dog's owner here not feel offense.
According to my knowledge as a muslim, dog is fall under "Najis Berat" in Islam, which falls in the same category as Pig. You must know that Muslim cant touch, eat, and keep PIG. That apply the same to the DOG.
So, any keturunan come from DOG, either it is a mix breed between DOG and CAT, or DOG and chicken, as long got Dog bloodline, is consider as Najis in Islam.
What if u touch the DOG?
If you touch the DOG, and you realized the Dog's fur is dry, u can simply wash hand with soap and water. If you figure out it is wet, you need to "samak" it.
If you touch dog's saliva, u need to samak as well. If the dog peed or pooed, u need to samak the place where it pooed or peed.
So, my advice to you as muslim sister is, not to adopt Dog as your pet.
Dog can be a good guardian for your house, or farm, or ur property, but not as your pet where need u to touch and pet it everyday.
It is frankly nothing to do with Malay mindset.
You can have a cat as an option if u love animal.
Thats my 2 cents, hope it help you.
Old 06-15-2009, 11:36 PM
PetFinder Buddy

dear farah,

if i'm not mistaken, there is a verse in the quran which states that the pork may be consumed in times of riot??? is that true????
Old 06-15-2009, 11:56 PM
Cayang Kucing

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandorabox78 View Post
dear farah,

if i'm not mistaken, there is a verse in the quran which states that the pork may be consumed in times of riot??? is that true????
Dear Doc,

I'm sorry that I cudnt recall which verse in the Quran says so, however from my knowledge, Pork is always the last option to eat. If in the event of Riot/lost in jungle,and totally no food at all, and people are starving, no water, no food, YES you may take PORK. However, if there is still another option to eat, example, there is a leaves, plants, insects, snakes,water.. which not harm for us to eat, that option is always the best for us to take rather than a pork, Doc.
Every creatures is created by God and for sure it they deserve our recognition to love and care. Not to touch or eat doesnt mean that we need to hate or torture those beautiful creatures.
Again, my 2 sen..
Old 06-15-2009, 11:59 PM
Animal Lover

June is on a distinguished road

Doc,yes during darurat/emergency time pork blh makan. My dad keep dog also to guard our house one time.Tp skrg dah takde.Last time when we were small,he always worked outstation.So keep dogs to guard us and the houselah.

Then again mcm Farah cakap,to keep as pet tak blh because Najis Berat. We can't pray in our house klu anjing jalan2 dlm rmh dgn air liur meleleh. nak samak,kena samak seisi rmh.

I wonderlah,why Malays nowadays wants to show they are open minded by keeping dogs?? My dad simpan anjing utk guard house dari dulu pun tak benda nak heran pun. Being open minded has nothing to do with keeping dogs ler.

Quote:
dear farah,

Old 06-16-2009, 12:04 AM
Cayang Kucing

Quote:
Originally Posted by June View Post
So keep dogs to guard us and the houselah.
Yes agreed, my neighbour keep dog to take care of the farm.
Old 06-16-2009, 12:05 AM
PetFinder Buddy

the only thing that puzzles me is how are the dogs gonna take care of yer property and house and whatever and not drool, poo or pee??? aren't ya gonna feed it?? isn't there gonna be contact with drool from the bowls of food and water??? is it like a grave sin or sumthing???
Old 06-16-2009, 12:15 AM
Animal Lover

June is on a distinguished road

The dog is outside our house but they have their own dog houses.My dad's worker (an Indonesian Christian) take care of him.We do play with him but will avoid him when he is wet. I still have the dog's pictures but all in KK. The worker (we called him Uncle Gabriel) will bath him,feed him.We feed him as well sometimes.

We can touch the dog when they are dry.But their saliva is a no no. Well, how to explain ah?? Dogs and pig are haram.Though they are haram we cannot ill treated them like certain people do.Beat them or torture.something like datlah. All God's creature we must respect though they are haram. Haram but when we are in contact with haram part, we just have to samaklah. Do you what samak mean??

Who is more expert to explain??heheheheh!! dunno how to explain.By the way,my dogs name was Sandy the German Sherpard and Kirby the mongrel.Kirby was the naughtiest one Always chew our slipper/shoes.

Quote:
the only thing that puzzles me is how are the dogs gonna take care of yer property and house and whatever and not drool, poo or pee??? aren't ya gonna feed it?? isn't there gonna be contact with drool from the bowls of food and water??? is it like a grave sin or sumthing???
Old 06-16-2009, 12:15 AM
Cayang Kucing

Quote:
Dear Doc,

It is all about cleanliness. If u understand muslim way of life, basically we need to pray 5 times in a day. To pray, it is always need for us to be clean. So it is very simple, when you touch anything come from dog, like airliur, pee or poo, sama ada by accident or disengajakan, simply just samak, make eat clean without any stains, then just fine.. nothing to do with sin and all..
It is of course your responsibilities to feed when u keep it as a guardian. As I said, if touch simply just samak which anggota badan yang terkena that one.
Old 06-16-2009, 12:25 AM
PetFinder Buddy

point taken.... i rest my case....
Old 06-16-2009, 02:24 AM
CEO, EzerNET

Ezer has disabled reputation

Mr Eff:

You asked 'can a muslim' keep dogs. The short answer, as per June and Farah is, NO... (reasons explained by them).

But if your answer is: Can you personally keep a dog? Well, that's a decision you have to make. Some muslims have made the decision to keep them and love them.

There are a lot of things that are haram in the Quran, but that doesn't mean every muslim does EVERYTHING the Quran says. In my humble opinion (and you're asking our opinions here), it's always up to you.

And this is the same with my Christian friends.. not a single one i know is 100% compliant with the Bible..

so, if you ask me personally, well, it's always up to you, as an individual to do what you think is best.

It's all about personal choice! That's my philosophy of life!

ps: Guys, please don't turn this into a religious fight. If you have an opinion, state them, but don't try to put down other's opinions...
Old 06-16-2009, 08:41 AM
~feline attaché

nurkasih is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ezer View Post
Mr Eff:

You asked 'can a muslim' keep dogs. The short answer, as per June and Farah is, NO... (reasons explained by them).

But if your answer is: Can you personally keep a dog? Well, that's a decision you have to make. Some muslims have made the decision to keep them and love them.

There are a lot of things that are haram in the Quran, but that doesn't mean every muslim does EVERYTHING the Quran says. In my humble opinion (and you're asking our opinions here), it's always up to you.

And this is the same with my Christian friends.. not a single one i know is 100% compliant with the Bible..

so, if you ask me personally, well, it's always up to you, as an individual to do what you think is best.

ps: Guys, please don't turn this into a religious fight. If you have an opinion, state them, but don't try to put down other's opinions...
Yeah...it's not a religious fight tho...Setuju..memang pilihan masing-masing...dan religious rules pun dia ada syarat-syarat dia...Muslim tak boleh keep a dog as a pet..It is understood as it is stated clearly in the Quran..memang betui..kalau u all nak disregard the religious side of opinion.. then it will be up to you..Usually rules in the Quran are of reasons... Nway, cam ada forumer cakap... As a guard outside the house, yes... inside..no..Pet?..as in small small dogs eg poodle, chihuahua..its a big NO... My 2 cents opinion tho...

p/s always ..always and always has to samak everytime balik dari vet... Those sharing the same clinic do not aware ( or taken into awareness) that the Muslims akan ada banyak kerja kalau the dogs came and bite our pants tho.. People, just understand....we DUN HATE dogs ( i would love one if i can ) or SCARED OF dogs, it's too complicated... Dun just sit there and chatting, let your dogs roam around the clinic if there's CLEARLY a Muslim in it... WE really highly appreciate your awareness and consideration..Tq

Last edited by nurkasih; 06-16-2009 at 08:47 AM.
Old 06-16-2009, 08:43 AM
PetFinder Guru

rozzygee is on a distinguished road

Good morning ladies and guysss! .. Woahh this thread caught my eyes this morning!.. Two thumbs up for farahnm and June for your (i would say) thorough explanations .. I am soooo scared that this thread would turn into a religious fight. But when i continue reading.. i feel relieved.. I am amazed. Both of you did a good job!
Old 06-16-2009, 09:23 AM
PetFinder Moderator

dog is my buddy has disabled reputation

That is true what people opinion to you here, it is an individual to do what you think is best. I had some muslim friends having a dog at KL, also at Istanbul (Turkey).They dont have any problem at all. They also allow the dog in house. I asking them have angel come to your house when you having dog inside. They said we no do any guilty thing, should be fine. but one thing dont let your pet as named Mohammed. That is guilty.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ezer View Post
Mr Eff:

Sometimes,things in life are out of our control. We just need to accept the fact.
Rocky, Ricky and Rusty is my best friend.
Old 06-16-2009, 09:56 AM
PetFinder Guru

Sashy is on a distinguished road

Just a note to Nurkasih: A considerate dog owner should not let their dogs roam around a clinic and simply bite peoples pants.. Most dogs don't simply bite things anyway unless they are young puppies.
Old 06-16-2009, 11:00 AM
Cayang Kucing

Quote:
Originally Posted by dog is my buddy View Post
That is true what people opinion to you here, it is an individual to do what you think is best. I had some muslim friends having a dog at KL, also at Istanbul (Turkey).They dont have any problem at all. They also allow the dog in house. I asking them have angel come to your house when you having dog inside. They said we no do any guilty thing, should be fine. but one thing dont let your pet as named Mohammed. That is guilty.
Yeap, agreed with u buddy.
I just spoke based on my point of view as a Muslim, hope this help may help u.
Old 06-16-2009, 11:13 AM
PetFinder Moderator

dog is my buddy has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by farahnm View Post
Yeap, agreed with u buddy.
I just spoke based on my point of view as a Muslim, hope this help may help u.
yea, the best thing is asking family member or parent first, those family are staying with together same house. If the person stay alone, just asking parent. If parent give you the answer cannot, you still desire want the dog. nobody can stop you, but one thing after have a dog, later you dont want. That is bad. Need to think in deep for have a dog. They will staying with you around 8-14 year.

Sometimes,things in life are out of our control. We just need to accept the fact.
Rocky, Ricky and Rusty is my best friend.
Closed Thread