Go

Go Back   PetFinder.my > The Animal Corner > Cats & Kittens > Training & Behavioral Issues

Training & Behavioral Issues Does your cat have an attitude, or just simply refuses to listen to you? Share it with your peers here and learn more about a cat's behavior and training methods

Old 07-02-2010, 10:59 AM
Animal Lover

DuchessNin is on a distinguished road
Unhappy Want to reconnect with my cat...

My persian cat used to be very friendly but now it's so hard to play with her... she's always trying to run away when i carry her and i can't pet her for long periods of time, like I used to...

Does anyone have any tips on how to reconnect with her again? I feel so sad when she runs away from me, we used to be such good friends... sigh..
Old 07-02-2010, 12:25 PM
~feline attaché

nurkasih is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Want to reconnect with my cat...

Quote:
Originally Posted by DuchessNin View Post
My persian cat used to be very friendly but now it's so hard to play with her... she's always trying to run away when i carry her and i can't pet her for long periods of time, like I used to...

Does anyone have any tips on how to reconnect with her again? I feel so sad when she runs away from me, we used to be such good friends... sigh..
you mean..she used to be playful and friendly when she was a kitten and now when she is already an adult she does not want to play with you anymore?
Old 07-02-2010, 01:23 PM
.:: Baby, I dig you! ::.

Location: Subang Jaya, Selangor, Malaysia, World of Animal Lurve...
BabyZee is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to BabyZee

rasanya ini hanya satu phase kan, phase dia nak membesar, ala2 nak rasa hidup kedewasaan....
w'pun kelakar bunyinya tapi tula kisahnya....
anak bulus zee pun act macamni dalam satu tempoh tu tapi lambat laun akan datang manja balik juga, tak payah paksa2, nanti datang balik juga dia pada kita....
Old 07-02-2010, 02:33 PM
Animal Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by nurkasih View Post
you mean..she used to be playful and friendly when she was a kitten and now when she is already an adult she does not want to play with you anymore?
She's 2 yrs old already and only recently, maybe 6 mths or so, she started becoming unfriendly, i don't know what changed and i have never and will never hurt her, so i'm very confused... sigh, i hope this isn't the case of her growing up and not wanting to play with me coz i think it'll be like losing my BF
Old 07-02-2010, 02:35 PM
Animal Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by BabyZee View Post
rasanya ini hanya satu phase kan, phase dia nak membesar, ala2 nak rasa hidup kedewasaan....
w'pun kelakar bunyinya tapi tula kisahnya....
anak bulus zee pun act macamni dalam satu tempoh tu tapi lambat laun akan datang manja balik juga, tak payah paksa2, nanti datang balik juga dia pada kita....
I hope so la coz I miss playing with her...
Old 07-02-2010, 03:05 PM
Animal Lover

Mutt is on a distinguished road

Hi there,
Have you had your cat checked out by a doctor? Sometimes when a pet retreats from attention and normal play and interaction it can be because they don't feel well. Cats especially are good at masking not being well.
A few other things to think about.. When are you trying to interact with your cat? Has your cat just eaten breakfast and thinking about a morning nap or are you engaging her to play in the evening? (Think of it in terms of if you were busy working or reading a book and someone came up to you and threw a toy in your face? Would you want to play?? Probably not.. you to know what is going on and what is expected.....

A few suggestions: when she is lying about quietly go over to where she is and sit near by, tell her that you'd like to play with her and maybe roll a toy or feather slowly about where she can see it. Wait for a few minutes and try again... if she doesn't engage go away and try again in another hour or try the next day. The other thing you can do is "show her" how to play with some of the toys. Bat a ball around, scratch on a cardboard box etc. It may take you a little bit of time to find out what your "grown up" kittie likes to play with. I'm also a fan of " buying" play and love if I have to when it comes to aloof cats. Take a yummy cat treat and slowly hold it near her nose so she can smell it.. when it looks like you have her attention then thow it in a box or slide it across the floor for her to chase (kibble bowling is what we call it on our house) THe ONLY time she should get those treats is when she is playing with you or interacting with you. (I managed to get a feral cat into a carrier because I got her hooked on a certain treat and she would come running for the noise of the canister! hee hee hee) Another thing to consider is grooming which is a great bonding tool especially with cats. Have you ever stopped to think about how much time they spend cleaning themselves or grooming a mate? If you cat lets you brush or comb her while talking to her. It would be meaningful interaction for the two of you....
Final two last suggestions: *IF* you can find it there is a really nice book called The Cat Behavior Answer Book --Practical Insights and Proven Solutions for your Feline Questions by Arden Moore. This is a GREAT book that explains why cats do some of the things they do and things you can do to enhance your relationship with cats. Also if you can find a toy called Cat Charmer by Cat Dancer products get it! My one boy cat doesn't like balls, mice, or any other sort of toy but he LOVES the cat charmer. It's a long strip of fleece attached to a pole that you can wave through the air, wiggle on the ground etc. It's firm enough that they can claw it but soft enough that you can extract it from their mouth or paws without causing harm. My boy gets a good workout with it in the evening which means he doesn't wake us up AS early in the morning now days.
Hope some of the info helps! Happy playing!
-Mutt
(Yes, I know my name is a dogs but I have both cats and a dog! hee hee hee)
Old 07-02-2010, 04:22 PM
Animal Lover

June is on a distinguished road
Default Want to reconnect with my cat...

Mutt, I bought that book by Arden Moore. Very good book. I have suggested this book to our forumer friends in my previous posting.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutt View Post
Hi there,
Have you had your cat checked out by a doctor? Sometimes when a pet retreats from attention and normal play and interaction it can be because they don't feel well. Cats especially are good at masking not being well.
A few other things to think about.. When are you trying to interact with your cat? Has your cat just eaten breakfast and thinking about a morning nap or are you engaging her to play in the evening? (Think of it in terms of if you were busy working or reading a book and someone came up to you and threw a toy in your face? Would you want to play?? Probably not.. you to know what is going on and what is expected.....

A few suggestions: when she is lying about quietly go over to where she is and sit near by, tell her that you'd like to play with her and maybe roll a toy or feather slowly about where she can see it. Wait for a few minutes and try again... if she doesn't engage go away and try again in another hour or try the next day. The other thing you can do is "show her" how to play with some of the toys. Bat a ball around, scratch on a cardboard box etc. It may take you a little bit of time to find out what your "grown up" kittie likes to play with. I'm also a fan of " buying" play and love if I have to when it comes to aloof cats. Take a yummy cat treat and slowly hold it near her nose so she can smell it.. when it looks like you have her attention then thow it in a box or slide it across the floor for her to chase (kibble bowling is what we call it on our house) THe ONLY time she should get those treats is when she is playing with you or interacting with you. (I managed to get a feral cat into a carrier because I got her hooked on a certain treat and she would come running for the noise of the canister! hee hee hee) Another thing to consider is grooming which is a great bonding tool especially with cats. Have you ever stopped to think about how much time they spend cleaning themselves or grooming a mate? If you cat lets you brush or comb her while talking to her. It would be meaningful interaction for the two of you....
Final two last suggestions: *IF* you can find it there is a really nice book called The Cat Behavior Answer Book --Practical Insights and Proven Solutions for your Feline Questions by Arden Moore. This is a GREAT book that explains why cats do some of the things they do and things you can do to enhance your relationship with cats. Also if you can find a toy called Cat Charmer by Cat Dancer products get it! My one boy cat doesn't like balls, mice, or any other sort of toy but he LOVES the cat charmer. It's a long strip of fleece attached to a pole that you can wave through the air, wiggle on the ground etc. It's firm enough that they can claw it but soft enough that you can extract it from their mouth or paws without causing harm. My boy gets a good workout with it in the evening which means he doesn't wake us up AS early in the morning now days.
Hope some of the info helps! Happy playing!
-Mutt
(Yes, I know my name is a dogs but I have both cats and a dog! hee hee hee)
Old 07-03-2010, 05:26 PM
Animal Lover

Talking Re: Want to reconnect with my cat...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mutt View Post
Hi there,

A few suggestions: ....
Hi Mutt (yes, i'm lovin' the irony ) thanks so much for ur suggestions, i nvr really thought of it that way coz it used to be that anytime i picked her up was a good time for her, i suppose her routine's changing as she gets older ya i did try some of your methods, sitting next to her and i managed to pet her for quite a bit. I already do talk to her while grooming her n i usually get a 'and i should care why' look which is quite funny but i'll def take the rest of ur suggestions to heart and conduct some trial n error with her, see what's her cup of tea like nowadays... i guess, if she was human, this would be her teenage yrs and all the rebellion that come with it LOL...

thanks again!!
Old 07-03-2010, 07:24 PM
Animal Lover

aizarus is on a distinguished road

If you'd like some really good free advice and insight into your cat and her behaviours, try reading http://www.wayofcats.com/blog/

I've found the advice and stories there invaluable in understanding my cats and especially how to handle my very reserved girl who didn't seem to want to share affection.

It'll take a while to get through all the blog posts but it's very entertaining reading and she's a pretty good writer.

Happy reading n good luck!
Old 10-07-2010, 08:48 PM
PetFinder Buddy

sphinxlover is on a distinguished road

she's in her teen years they're like us teens and kinda feel embarrassed when our parents are around, somethin like that, well anyways just keep holding on, and love her, she'll get past her teen years, and be a cuddle wuv again:)