Go

Go Back   PetFinder.my > Reviews, Notices & Stories > Hall of Shame

Hall of Shame There are lots of cruel and inconsiderate people out there. Expose their cruel deeds to the world and let them be shamed!

Closed Thread

Old 05-09-2009, 09:37 PM
Animal Lover

June is on a distinguished road
Default Pulau Ketam & MPK Klang Dump Dogs in Uninhabited Island

Well said T.ruth I agreed 100% on what you had posted. Simple but straight to the point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by t.ruth View Post
i hope it's not a case of out of the frying into the fire for the dogs rescued by spca. before anyone wants to bombard me for saying that, THINK. spca is well-known for putting animals down, except for pedigrees for which they can get lots of money. mostly, it's mongrels that are put down. if i understood correctly, one of the reasons for freely putting down is space constraints. so, what would happen if spca manages to catch more of these pulau ketam dogs. wouldn't there be more space problems or did they suddenly have a case of conscience attacks since FFF is getting all the commendations and support for the good work that it is doing?

FFF is a no-kill shelter, even if it 'kills' the founder to take care of the animals, whereas spca has an army of volunteers and big funds. i'm not picking any fight with any supporters, be it spca or FFF. i think events speak for themselves - who are those truly interested in helping animals and who wants glory.

another point that i want to bring up. it's very heartening to note the condemnation of the action by pulau ketam residents and the supporters of rescue mission. what i want to highlight is at the end of the day when this issue dies down, who actually are willing to adopt these dogs. i run a petshop and everyday i get people who come in asking to buy pedigrees. in the forums that i participate, i see many dog owners with pedigrees. now, don't get me wrong. i've nothing against pedigree owners. but when it comes to the crunch, how many will opt to adopt mongrels.

i personally know someone who will literally 'run' to rescue pedigrees that are about to be put down at an animal shelter, but when it comes to mongrels, there is silence. and this person claims to be an animal rescuer on one of the forums.
Old 05-09-2009, 09:40 PM
PetFinder Moderator

dog is my buddy has disabled reputation
Default Re: Pulau Ketam & MPK Klang Dump Dogs in Uninhabited Island

Showflake,
Please take my 3 bag dog food donate to Ms.Sabrina, if you able take from me, tomorrow sunday I at International Dalat school. you can meet me there. Time 8am to 10am
Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowflake View Post

Excellent idea !

Isn't this just typical ? Always only when there is a furore, then push to quarters like FFF, SPCA, etc, to clean up their stupid mess. Damn idiotic.

Nivek, I will pass along to my friends interested to participate at eGate on Tuesday.

Myself and hubby will be going down tmrw, for our fortnightly trip to FFF. Anyone from Penang that might wish to donate dog food or rice, etc, to FFF, we can help transport the donations during our trips there.

Good luck and keep safe to those who are going on the rescue mission.

Sometimes,things in life are out of our control. We just need to accept the fact.
Rocky, Ricky and Rusty is my best friend.
Old 05-09-2009, 11:10 PM
Animal Lover

Snowflake is on a distinguished road

[QUOTE
Please take my 3 bag dog food donate to Ms.Sabrina, if you able take from me, tomorrow sunday I at International Dalat school. you can meet me there. Time 8am to 10am[/QUOTE]

Hey, 'dog is my buddy', I live around at Tg. Bgh. area too.
Unfortunately, I won't be able to make it tmrw, Sunday, as we will leaving as early as 6 am to reach FFF earlier as it a one-day trip, down and back for us. But I will more than happy to pick the things up after I get back and transport them down to FFF the next trip.

Just let me know when, yea.

Quote:
another point that i want to bring up. it's very heartening to note the condemnation of the action by pulau ketam residents and the supporters of rescue mission. what i want to highlight is at the end of the day when this issue dies down, who actually are willing to adopt these dogs. i run a petshop and everyday i get people who come in asking to buy pedigrees. in the forums that i participate, i see many dog owners with pedigrees. now, don't get me wrong. i've nothing against pedigree owners. but when it comes to the crunch, how many will opt to adopt mongrels.

i personally know someone who will literally 'run' to rescue pedigrees that are about to be put down at an animal shelter, but when it comes to mongrels, there is silence. and this person claims to be an animal rescuer on one of the forums.
This is so very true. I myself needed to place 5 out of 6 of my dogs that were strays which my late mother took care of, at FFF with the kindness of Ms. Sabrina, which I cannot repay. There are heartless people dumping pedigree ones when the move away. When people are already dumping these pedigree dogs, what is fate of mongrels ? I say as a testament that Ms. Sabrina doesn't care whether the dogs are pedigree or not. She does take good care of them and it is very heart-warming to see her dedication to the strays. She has saved so many strays and I have personally seen the dogs and they do make remarkable progress.

As it is noted that SPCA does states very clearly and well that they will put collected dogs to sleep due to lack of space. So, not much can be done about their policy. But SPCA's spay/neuter program should be given some credit as they do charge a very nominal fee for the procedures.
Old 05-10-2009, 12:20 AM
PetFinder Wowwow

vivi is on a distinguished road

well said snowflake.
Old 05-10-2009, 12:22 AM
PetFinder Buddy

ChewChew1987 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyKoh View Post
Hi Sabrina,

Thank you for sharing your first-hand account with us, and I'd like to congratulate you on your successful efforts in rescuing some of the animals. I can only imagine how tough and challenging this mission is, but I am sure the satisfaction and joy from each successful rescue far overshadows the difficulties.

Do you have sufficient volunteers for the rescue efforts or have any other needs/requests? If so, please let me know and we'll do our best to help you source for the required assistance.

We'd also love to assist you in rehoming the rescued animals when they have fully recovered and are ready for adoption.

Keep up the excellent work, and we look forward to your updates, Sabrina!
A thousand thanks to your action, Ms Sabrina.

I am currently raising funds and products for this mission, and is trying to contact several popular stations such as Hitz.fm, and tv channels (very hard to get through).

I hope the others can do the same.
Old 05-10-2009, 12:49 AM
PetFinder Moderator

ok, let me know which day for second trip. I may get more dog food, by the way dont take too long, my dog food anytime will donate out if have someone inquire.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snowflake View Post
[QUOTE
Please take my 3 bag dog food donate to Ms.Sabrina, if you able take from me, tomorrow sunday I at International Dalat school. you can meet me there. Time 8am to 10am
Hey, 'dog is my buddy', I live around at Tg. Bgh. area too.
Unfortunately, I won't be able to make it tmrw, Sunday, as we will leaving as early as 6 am to reach FFF earlier as it a one-day trip, down and back for us. But I will more than happy to pick the things up after I get back and transport them down to FFF the next trip.

Just let me know when, yea.

This is so very true. I myself needed to place 5 out of 6 of my dogs that were strays which my late mother took care of, at FFF with the kindness of Ms. Sabrina, which I cannot repay. There are heartless people dumping pedigree ones when the move away. When people are already dumping these pedigree dogs, what is fate of mongrels ? I say as a testament that Ms. Sabrina doesn't care whether the dogs are pedigree or not. She does take good care of them and it is very heart-warming to see her dedication to the strays. She has saved so many strays and I have personally seen the dogs and they do make remarkable progress.

As it is noted that SPCA does states very clearly and well that they will put collected dogs to sleep due to lack of space. So, not much can be done about their policy. But SPCA's spay/neuter program should be given some credit as they do charge a very nominal fee for the procedures.[/QUOTE]

Sometimes,things in life are out of our control. We just need to accept the fact.
Old 05-10-2009, 01:51 AM
PetFinder Moderator

Keep in mind. We do as volunteer support, it not necessary other people follow what we did. That is the option for individual.
I can see this Pulau Ketam more people interested after news paper and internet reported.

Old 05-10-2009, 11:23 AM
PetFinder Guru

mrsdolittle is on a distinguished road
Default Re: A Sorry State ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by t.ruth View Post
sorry DIMB, although your question is directed to Furkid, i'll be a kehpoh and say that donate to Furry Friends Farm. i for one am not willing to donate money for 1.6 million bungalow to be purchased to be used as office......more to follow. now the main thing is to save the dogs.

anyway, help sabrina to rescue the animals. that's the main thing now. i've been to FFF and she is sure doing a good job - literally running a one-man show on weekdays with a small number of volunteers on weekends. yet, the animals are well taken care of with more than enough to eat and happy. she has no big group of volunteers and she slogs for the animals. this, i've seen with my own eyes. that's why, i'll try in whatever way i can to get food, supplements, shampoo, etc. for her rescued dogs.

cheers for sabrina and tvsmith for initiating the rescue mission. i'm sure they will be blessed and may the next tsunami sees Pulau Ketam wiped off the map.
Hello T.ruth,

That is a good deed you are doing for Ms Sabrina, yes i do agree she does need help.

She cannot be running the show alone. I am saying this because she too under the same mission as SPCA, the organization i am working for.

See people, its a free country and everybody have their right to choose whom to donate to or which organization to support. As long as we know what they are doing it for the caused of the animals.

Please, please, please people... do not let the human issues stop us from helping the poor animals. If we get things mixed up, the animals will suffer for our doings.

T.ruth, these statement are not meant for you alone, its for everyone to understand and to consider about the right things to be done.

Peace people.

...THE DAY I KNOW THE MEANING OF TRUE LOVE, LOYALTY, TRUST AND FRIENDSHIP...
...TIGER IN MEMORY...
Old 05-10-2009, 11:35 AM
PetFinder Guru

mrsdolittle is on a distinguished road

Sorry my mistake... Have to delete

...THE DAY I KNOW THE MEANING OF TRUE LOVE, LOYALTY, TRUST AND FRIENDSHIP...
...TIGER IN MEMORY...

Last edited by mrsdolittle; 05-22-2009 at 09:39 AM.
Old 05-10-2009, 11:36 AM
PetFinder Guru

melmel is on a distinguished road
Default Spca - ketam dog disaster

SPCA & SAS DOG RESCUE TEAMS will b CAMPING in d ISLAND 2 TRAP & RESCUE d DOGS STARTING TONITE.

SPCA & SAS PAY d INDONESIAN WORKER from floating fish farm nearby to FEED SEVEN (7) BAG DOG FOOD DAILY to d DOGS in d ISLAND of DEATH .

Last edited by melmel; 05-10-2009 at 01:06 PM.
Old 05-10-2009, 12:16 PM
PetFinder Guru

melmel is on a distinguished road

extracted from 'homepet' website :

Re: Regarding the trapped Island doggies news! INSIDE NEWS!!
by friedbeef on Sat May 09, 2009 6:52 pm

Dear Yang :
Definitely agree that SPCA can do better. At the risk of getting flamed on my very first post on this site, let me say a few good things about SPCA.

RE: Fund Allocation

Let's remember that the SPCA is a professionally run NGO with a set of audited annual Statement of Accounts and conducts an AGM each year. The Statement of Accounts is available for inspection upon request, so it is an open book on how they fund their operations. Membership is open to the public, and anyone not satisfied can raise this in proper channels.

RE: Funding and the Kill Policy

I think it's great that you managed to rehome 100 animals with limited resources.
I also think that it's great that Furry Friend Farm can sustain 80 dogs in total with their own limited resources.

You mention that if this HUGE NGO (SPCA) fund had been managed nicely, that they can easily afford a land and raise hundreds of dogs there without killing them. I think you are right. They probably could raise hundreds of dogs.

The fact remains that SPCA has 13,000 NEW animals coming to them annually (This is JUST FOR SELANGOR AND KL), and without a kill policy there is no way they can sustain themselves at this point.

One of the key reasons for this is that SPCA has become a dumping ground for animals.

The typical Malaysian knows SPCA. They do not know FFF.
The typical Malaysian will also NOT sponsor the animal they bring to FFF, but is instead will be content to chuck it to SPCA and feel good about it.
This behavior results in a HUGE influx of strays into SPCA

I'm also pretty certain that once strays are rehomed, FFF are much more likely to be successfully rehomed than an SPCA pet. Reason being, FFF adopters are mainly pet enthusiasts or friends of pet enthusiasts.
SPCA does not have that luxury of that filter, and because they are 'mainstream', many adopters are just parents who want to get a dog for their kid, and in the end many of them bring them back resulting in an unsuccessful rehome.

This pattern of adoption also results in more animals for them to care for.

SPCA also has a 2010 no kill vision which you can read about here http://www.spca.org.my/nokill.htm
They will probably fail given today's circumstances, but I still give them credit for trying, and trying to address root causes via large scale spaying campaigns which I'm sure everyone on this forum is aware of.

I'm sure SPCA leadership could have appeared more caring and passionate about the animals rather than the money raised. I just wish to highlight that they really need the money here as detailed above.

RE: Free publicity

Seriously, no NGO dictates to a journalist what to write, so if SPCA end up getting free publicity, it is not via some free loading intent. Journalists will cover whatever seems relevant, and because SPCA is so high profile in this area, their opinions on the matter will be sought, and will most likely be published. So they get more publicity, and to that I say good for them.

Anyway, let me just wish FFF all the best - what they are doing is awesome, I will be volunteering there shortly, and SPCA is great because of all the work they have done. In the end we're all here for the same reason - to help animals.

Last edited by melmel; 05-11-2009 at 09:38 AM.
Old 05-10-2009, 01:56 PM
PetFinder Moderator

Melmel,
Thanks for sharing, by the way the SPCA always mention is SPCA Selangor for this rescue fund? isn't donate to this SPCA Selangor? People also unsure which SPCA is the right for collect this donation? My friend told me? I just pass the maasage to here.

Old 05-10-2009, 06:23 PM
Animal Rescuer

t.ruth is on a distinguished road
Default Re: A Sorry State ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsdolittle View Post
Hello T.ruth,

That is a good deed you are doing for Ms Sabrina, yes i do agree she does need help.

She cannot be running the show alone. I am saying this because she too under the same mission as SPCA, the organization i am working for.

See people, its a free country and everybody have their right to choose whom to donate to or which organization to support. As long as we know what they are doing it for the caused of the animals.

Please, please, please people... do not let the human issues stop us from helping the poor animals. If we get things mixed up, the animals will suffer for our doings.

T.ruth, these statement are not meant for you alone, its for everyone to understand and to consider about the right things to be done.

Peace people.
Hi Mrs Doolittle

I've heard a lot about you and I've extremely high regards for you. Indeed, your reputation precedes you. SPCA is very fortunate to have you on the staff. I may not think much of the committee running the organisation but that does not mean that I don't think much of the staff who are working there. On the contrary, I had reason to engage SPCA services recently and I have to say that two of your staff have shown exemplary attitude which I shall be writing about later in another thread.

If you are at the helm of SPCA, I firmly believe that things would be very different but since you are working there, I'm sure that in your own way you will help to change the negative perception of people towards SPCA.

But I agree with you that helping the dogs now is of the utmost importance. Power play and competing for publicity should not even be in the picture at all.
Old 05-11-2009, 08:46 AM
Pets Are NOT Disposable

FurKids is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by shanti View Post
I have one idea to solve the problem of strays in Pulau Ketam eventhough it might sound a little ridiculous to some. There are still more than a 1000 strays remain in Pulau Ketam, instead of spaying all of them which cost a lot of money, why don't someone perhaps SPCA go round up all the female dogs ( puppy and adult ) from the island and remove them from there. Let all the male dogs remain in the island. There is no need to do any neutering. For those female dogs removed from Pulau Ketam, neuter them and try to rehome them.
Forget about rehoming ... TNR came about because the smart people have learned and understood that there will never be enough land and enough $$ for shelters ... TNR and Adult (not school kids) Awareness Education Programs has been proven to be successful in controlling strays population for a good number of years, when are we ever going to learn? When are we ever going be humble and acknowledge that we have NOT been doing things correctly (only focussing on adoption and rehoming and education for kids ... if cannot rehome ... then kill, kill, kill ... even now after all this is happening on the islands, for Heaven's sake!).

TNR the dogs and get registered volunteer caregivers to manage them. These are not pedigrees which people fight tooth and nails for! (Ruth, literally runs, eh?)
"We organized in the past to make Trap-Neuter-Return possible. Today, we organize to make Trap-Neuter-Return the norm and to end the unnecessary killing of cats in animal shelters across the country and provide humane care." - Alley Cat Allies
Old 05-11-2009, 09:39 AM
PetFinder Guru

lynielime is on a distinguished road

Forummers please help to brainstorm ways to get the dogs off the island. The environment is very very rough making it difficult to move around or even enter the island. Think of ways for rescuers to
1. get into the center of the island
2. once in the island, how to catch the dogs. an effective way to catch more than one at a time?
3. how to move the dogs from the center of the island, out to the shore.
you get the idea. logistics solutions please. thanks.

Click image for larger version

Name:	20090508_06.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	163.6 KB
ID:	5166 a hostile and difficult environment

Name:	20090508_07.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	136.9 KB
ID:	5167 sharp spikes (new mangrove growth) come out of the mud, making it difficult to walk.

Name:	20090508_11.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	132.3 KB
ID:	5168 constantly getting stuck in mud, sometimes up to our knees.

Name:	20090508_15.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	161.3 KB
ID:	5169 kuning, rescued by kind indonesian fisherman still likes to hang out on the island.

Name:	20090508_16.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	167.3 KB
ID:	5170 kuning and his new caretaker
Old 05-11-2009, 09:41 AM
Pets Are NOT Disposable

FurKids is on a distinguished road
Default Falling together

Updates from http://www.mycen.com.my/rescue/updates.html

Sat, 09/05/09:
FALLING TOGETHER

Friend and state assemblyman YB Edward Lee (right) stressing to the media the stress me (center in Picture 1 below) and fellow rescue members face daily.

The animal lover was accompanying us to see our challenges first hand. He offered some valuable advice and promised to resolve some outstanding issues. Notice we have a bigger boat and life jackets now?

As we got closer (Picture 2), we keep hearing eerie and gut-wrenching barks from dogs stuck inside the swamps. Volunteer Pummkin was dispatched from the 'mothership' to scan the edge of the island on a sampan.

They have an inflatable kayak to get even closer. Volunteer Hew Er Win was inside water when this picture was taken. It is full moon and the tide is high and fast.

Rescued Chantek in Picture 3 (named by YB Edward Lee) is weeping silently on a back seat. She of course is not aware she is on the way to a better life and won't be put down. She was so terrified and was almost frozen when rescued. Can you blame her and the other thrown-away dogs for fearing and not trusting humans ever again?

I like to salute the dedicated Klang volunteers like Connie and Donald for using their cars to transport the maggot -ridden animals to their homes and taking care of the rescued dogs for a night.

Usually, when we return to shore at night, the nearby vets are already closed and we do not have vans or trucks to transport the animals back to FFF's sanctuary in faraway Kundang.

Last night, rafting specialist Marjorie Gabriel of Tracks Adventures in Antaresland) and Hulu Selangor councilor Karin Lee also brought in 2 dogs. River Goddess Marjorie (as she calls herself), constructed a clever pontoon to leave food for the dogs.

We have 8 now and will bring more home.

Updates and pics by TV Smith
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	edward_lee.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	61.9 KB
ID:	5175   Click image for larger version

Name:	kayak.jpg
Views:	80
Size:	99.5 KB
ID:	5176   Click image for larger version

Name:	cantik.jpg
Views:	68
Size:	59.8 KB
ID:	5177  
"We organized in the past to make Trap-Neuter-Return possible. Today, we organize to make Trap-Neuter-Return the norm and to end the unnecessary killing of cats in animal shelters across the country and provide humane care." - Alley Cat Allies
Old 05-11-2009, 09:46 AM
PetFinder Guru

Name:	20090508_26.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	145.7 KB
ID:	5178 during high tide, the water rises over the mangrove roots.

Name:	20090508_48.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	152.9 KB
ID:	5179 that literally floods the island.

Name:	20090508_50.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	160.0 KB
ID:	5180 the roots are like a prison or cage and have to be climbed over.. they make moving around the island very difficult.

Name:	20090508_52.jpg
Size:	144.3 KB
ID:	5181

Name:	20090508_53.jpg
Size:	167.5 KB
ID:	5182
Old 05-11-2009, 09:54 AM
PetFinder Guru

Name:	20090508_34.jpg
Views:	84
Size:	92.4 KB
ID:	5183 amazing raft built by river goddeses/geniuses ms marjorie and ms karin to help rescue the dogs.

Name:	20090508_44.jpg
Views:	89
Size:	55.6 KB
ID:	5184 hitam, rescued by the kind indonesian fishermen

Name:	20090508_56.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	53.6 KB
ID:	5185 kuning, rescued by the same fishermen

Name:	20090508_42.jpg
Size:	72.0 KB
ID:	5186 the fishfarm where the two rescued dogs live with their new seafaring family

the river goddeses kayaked into the island and rescued two dogs!! kudos to them. is there any way to do this sort of thing on a larger scale?
Old 05-11-2009, 09:58 AM
Animal Lover

Snowflake is on a distinguished road

Quote:
ok, let me know which day for second trip. I may get more dog food, by the way dont take too long, my dog food anytime will donate out if have someone inquire.
Hello DIMB, my next trip will be on the 24th May. Let me know when it's a good time for me to collect from you.
Old 05-11-2009, 10:00 AM
PetFinder Moderator

Default Re: Falling together

Someone need tell the world for no humaitarian cruel for sending to the island, cause to dog suffer for entire life. someone going do report to world internet media. Everyone go tell the world.
http://www.helpinganimals.com/ga_reportCruelty.asp
http://www.peta.org/other.asp
http://www.askcarla.com/
http://www.ingridnewkirk.com/
http://animal.discovery.com/

Last edited by dog is my buddy; 05-11-2009 at 10:05 AM.
Closed Thread