Go

Go Back   PetFinder.my > The Animal Corner > Cats & Kittens > Health, Disease & Diet

Health, Disease & Diet Find out the best tips and practices on managing your cat's diet, health care, and issues with diseases from our community of animal lovers

Old 08-08-2008, 10:24 PM
Animal Lover

June is on a distinguished road
Default My Peterpan broke his leg

How to threat a broken leg cat

Step 1: Approach the cat carefully. If the cat seems nervous or anxious, restrain the cat if necessary.

Step 2: Examine the leg and determine if the fracture is open (wound near the break or bone protuding from the skin) or closed (no break in the skin).

Step 3: If the fracture is closed, proceed to Step 4. If the fracture is open:

Step 3a: Flush the wound thoroughly with clean water. Do not use any other antiseptic.

Step 3b: Cover the wound with a clean cloth, sterile dressing, or sanitary napkin.

Do not attempt to splint the fracture. Hold a folded towel under the unsplinted limb

Step 3c: Wrap torn rags or other soft material around the dressing and tie or tape just tightly enough to keep it in place.

Step 3d: Do not attempt to splint the fracture. Hold a folded towel under the unsplinted limb and transport the cat to the veterinarian immediately.

Step 4: If the fracture is closed:

Step 4a: It is difficult, if not impossible, to try to splint a cat's fractured limb without a veterinarian. The goal in any fracture is to minimize the movement of the broken bones.

Step 4b: Place the cat in a carrier or box and transport him or her to the veterinarian
Old 08-08-2008, 10:26 PM
Animal Lover

Default Re: My Peterpan broke his leg

Guys, I have spoken to the doctor this morning.Aku rasa tambah2 sedih lagi.kaki 1 hal tp kali ni ekor dia pun termasuk nak disurgery.Ok aku cuba translate apa yg doctor kata.dia guna bahasa doctor smp aku kena suruh dia terangkan butir2 terperinci.

1. Ekor si PP punya nerve system sudah hilang.so durang kena potong ekornya sebab takut ekornya akan kasih hazard.cthnya tersepit,dia tak dpt sensor anything dgn ekornnya lg. so kena potong ekor dia tinggal cuma 2 inci saja.aku.without the sensory system PP tak dpt balance dgn baik.huhuhu!! cukup bahaya.

2. broken bone on the hind leg at the very end of the leg.yg lebih tepat kat join.so the doctor will insert the pin to the bone.takpelah.janji dia boleh jalan.tp doctor kata dia akan jd stiff maksudnya pergerakkan kaki dia tak sebagus dulu lagi.takpelah yg penting dia tak kudung.

Aku bincang dgn doctor tadi,harga dlm anggaran RM1000 include surgery,boarding,medicine dll. cuba berunding dgn dia harga.aku kata aku dah takde gaji bulan nih.huhuhu!! doctor said, don't worry June. Will try to reduce the price for you.so mgkn busuk2 pun dlm RM800.

Apa2 hal pun aku nak tks for you guys for the moral support,advice and tips. Biarpun si PP ni cacat ke,atau apa2 pun aku tetap sayangkan dia.tak kisahlah suma tu.

Mcm si Fanaticat kata,murah rezeki pelihara kucing cacat. Klu aku jd kaya 1 hari nanti si Fanaticat aku lantik jd Ketua Macai.he!!he!! jgn mare friend.gurau je.aku nak mengembirakan hati saja
Old 08-08-2008, 10:27 PM
Animal Lover

June, I just came in and read your post. I am so dreadfully sorry and sad to hear about my Kotak Monster's beloved little brother PeterPan. My heart hurts a lot and I can't imagine yours and your hubby's, my dear friend ...

I went through a very similar situation involving a very thin and malnourished grey tabby male who had been abandoned by his owners (he was extremely sweet, manja and neutered, and there were no residential houses nearby - only shops/offices, that's why I say the boy had been abandoned) I met wandering along an office block. I buat detour before going to work to feed him every day for several weeks.

Then, he didn't show up for a couple of mornings but I continued to drop by hoping to see him again, fearing that he had fallen sick or got injured in some accident.

When he finally emerged several days later, I was devastated to see him calling to me and dragging himself towards me on a broken hind leg. I took him to the vet immediately and the vet explained the situation and options to me.

The vet also explained that in addition to the surgery implant/s (depending on how successful the operation will turn out), it is highly possible that the cat will still have to battle constant reinfection, pain and medication due to movement and pressure on the affected area for the rest of his life.

I still feel very, very pained just thinking about the experience and the extremely tough decision that I had to make with his continuous pain and suffering in mind. I loved him deeply (how couldn't I - he had been such a sweet boy), to me he was as precious as any of my kids at home and deserved to live like any other.

The decision had been very, very, very tough and I still cry when I think about it. It wasn't about the money because duit boleh kita cari balik anytime, tapi I didn't want the boboy to suffer extreme pain for the rest of his life.

My heart goes out to you and your hubby in this challenging moment and my prayers are on you and your hubby, and dear little PP because I can understand how precious he is and how very, very much you love him.

Take care, friend.
Old 08-08-2008, 10:28 PM
Animal Lover

Just came back from the hospital. Another bad news. PP lost control on his bladder.so berak dan kencing merata2. but doctor put him under treatment and chances are high according the doc due to his young age (10 mths).I don't want to take any chances.Does anyone here experience this before?? Pls help me.
Old 08-08-2008, 10:29 PM
Animal Lover

Hi June,

Sending more positive vibes over ....

PP,

Get well soon, your mummy is worried sick about you!
Old 08-08-2008, 10:30 PM
Animal Lover

June, you need to spend as much time as you can at his side kalo he is at the clinic sebab itu kawasan foreign to him - smells, sounds, etc. he is in trauma and shock - he needs familiar things.
Kalo doctor membenarkan - hope so (takut tak sterile and maybe cause infection sebab dia baru operate) every day bring baju/tuala bersih with your smell and yr other cats' smell ... but make sure you check with the doctor betol-betol. It will remind him of home and safety and therapeutic for him.

Buat every two days or so sebab the smell will fade after that. Animal shelters find that using this method (to keep clean, they clean and wash the cages everyday and this stresses the animals) the animals in the shelter get sick or succumb to diseases less.

Our hearts and prayers are with PP/you/hubby/yr other cats (they miss him too)

p.s. June, any other internal damage?
Old 08-08-2008, 10:31 PM
Animal Lover

June, bagi PP daging dada ayam kukus as much as he can eat becos his body needs the additional protein and nourishment with his recent tragic shock /stress/injury.

Your Blackwood kibble is not enough nourishment at this time ... also, PP is still kitten (10 mths) and the kibbles is for adult (am I right), and even Blackwood kitten pun tak brapa cukup for this recuperation period where his little broken body needs good nourishment for fast repair.

June, sometimes I short cut and beli ayam kurma or kari (I take the breast meat) and cuci bersih buang tulang and give the cats.
Old 08-08-2008, 10:32 PM
Animal Lover

Hehehehhhh!!! AD Eukanuba straight from the can for the busy career ppl like us tu is very, very convenient, tak payah susah-susah rebus TETAPI bukan semua kocing nak makan ... especially those whose taste buds have been spoiled and pampered by their slaves who are go to wet market to get choice ayam freshly slaughtered and rebus for them gourmet style ... lebih-lebih lagi bila taim tengah sakit/injured/operation ... lagik tak selera ... my spoiled kids will settle for not less than steamed ayam kampung ...

Tapi try not to give fish, June, especially do NOT give kembung.
Old 08-08-2008, 10:35 PM
Animal Lover

Eh June, when you went for your 2nd opinion, did the 2nd vet agree that the leg should be pinned or did he say no need to pin?

Need to be pin because the broken bone is right at the end of the ankle. The doctor using medical jargon so I dunno how to explain but I do understand why he needs to insert the pin.
Old 08-08-2008, 10:36 PM
Animal Lover

Oh, I see ... ok la tu ... in the meantime, June, U need to Google on how to prepare yourself to take care of PP from now on and what to look out for becos it is only the start of a big and long challenge for everyone as well as him, especially since he cannot talk and tell you what is happening within him, the poor dear, and we just go around assuming ...

I read that for some ppl who have amputated limbs, some of them still feel pain in the missing limb in their brains, and continue to fumble bcos they still behave as if the missing limb is still there.

PP may still think and feel like his little long tail is offering him the balance that is actually not there and cause him to misjudge his footing, loose his balance and tumble, especially when jumping from heights or from one place to another or walking on a beam/pole ...
Old 08-08-2008, 10:37 PM
Animal Lover

You will certainly need a spacious cage (1 tier is good so that there is a platform but not too much climbing, you can put the platform in only later after several weeks recovery - be patient - and positive that his leg can take some pressure from his landings - otherwise pressure/friction/movement akan mengakibatkan geselan kat affected bone area tu dan menimbul inflamation and later jangkitan, not to mention extreme pain).

But a 3-tier cage for you to partition off into two is an investment. When he is very much better later, you can open up the other level to give him more room, and at the same time restrict his movement bcos boys will be boys - he will continue to be active and cause himself injury.
Old 08-08-2008, 10:39 PM
Animal Lover

June, nanti PP balik umah, remember to keep his bontot clean and dry always sbab senang naik merah, gatal dan bengkak kalau selalu kena kencing dan najis basah tu. Prevent him from getting any infection or soreness.

Tapi jangan letak talcum poder mcm bayi lak, yer?

p.s. As for his loud demands, June, remember this and U must be strict on this: restrict his movements by confining him in a small cage for many, many weeks for the bone in the leg to set and mend properly. Ini kalo tak tak self discipline, the leg will not mend well and PP will suffer some permanent damage! Tahan hati, and you and PP will reap great benefits later.
Old 08-08-2008, 10:42 PM
Animal Lover

June, it is very, very important that you be very, very patient and loving semasa handling PP or any cat semasa nak bagi ubat or applying any medication so that the cat associate that with a good experience. I know that you have been through a lot of stress bcos of the accident, but in order to successfully look after PP from now on, you need to understand some things and do it correctly so that it will not be hard and get harder each time as PP resists.

PP is an animal and all animal handlings must be calming to the animal and rewarded with treats, mostly food, then petting and soft calming words.

Dr. Hasnol Ismail is one of the finest vets where cat handling is concerned and I learned a lot from him dulu as well as good internet sites and the book "Animals In Translation".

I have learned that first and foremost, EVERY TIME before you get to the cat, you need to calm yourself down and think lovingly of your cat. Dr. Hasnul will tell you that the already anxious and scared cat will feel your emotions and feelings and get even more scared and stressed. Everything is passed on to the cat!

Then calmly, start talking softly and lovingly and stroke the cat. Observe it calming down and purring.

Then gently hold and tilt the head (go read up or learn form the vet how to gently and calmly position your hand and fingers at the head. There is a position where when you tilt the head, the mouth opens by itself. You should have asked the vet all the how-tos and demonstrate and let you practise while at the clinic itself. These are all homework.)

Jangan paksa or scold, the animal is build up in his brain that it is an unpleasant experience and it will be near impossible for you. Even one unpleasant experience is enuf to the cat to associate that it is horrible.

PP will not understand that it is good for him and that he will not get injured and die with the treatment and that you are not hurting him. As it is he is injured and an injured animal can claw and bite in defense. He does not understand, but you have to understand how the animal brain works.

You should see how Dr. Hasnul handles cats, how he coos to them and is sooooooooo calm! And you should see and observe how the frightened cat calms down and relaxes in his presence.
Old 08-08-2008, 10:44 PM
Animal Lover

atas perut dia tu point bladder kucing.tekan kat situ supaya air kencing boleh mengalir kuar klu tak si PP akan duduk dlm cage dgn air kencing seluruh badan sebab nerve control bladder dia dah rosak. klu berak pula tak boleh compress.dia akan berak sendiri mcm pagi tadi.elok je taik kuar dari anus dia.nasib baik najis soft sebab akak bagi dia mkn AD.klu keras mcm manalah dia meneran.doktor kata nanti dia akan bg ubat utk memudahkan dia berak sebab bukan selamanya dia makan AD.bila dia makan back to normal stool dia akan back to normal.
Old 08-08-2008, 10:46 PM
Animal Lover

June,

Sending loves to you and PP.

Sad to read that PP has lost so much weight. Is he on special diet now? The weight lost may be good, as there will be lesser pressure when he walks, move, thus quicker healing. (Cats can be like human, I lost weight when I was sick, but after I recovered, I gained it all back, including interest! - hehehe)

Take care!

Rgds, Bina
Old 08-08-2008, 10:48 PM
Animal Lover

Yes, he misses me so much.missed home too.

They charge RM30 per nite.I check with the doctor,for all the medication,boarding etc the bill comes about RM400.gulp!! for 4 days 3 nites.

I am not happy though with the arrangement in the clinic.They should separate the dogs and cats boarding room.Yesterday afternoon around 4pm, the handler brought down 1 Rottweiler from upper floor.My God!! the dog is so huge,barking at us.(there were 2 girls and 1 man standing around the lobby area when the handler brought the Rottweiler down) I jumped to the reception area to save my life. 1 girl holding her cat tightly. What happen if her cat escape and run to the main road?? I complained to their boss this morning.Hopefully they will remind the handler to handle big dogs carefully.The dog's muzzle be must cover all the time for safety reason.
Old 08-08-2008, 11:01 PM
Animal Lover

Susah nak percaya si PeterPan penakut dan anti-social. Mula2 bila Olivia buka pintu PeterPan, I tak berani sentuh dia sebab teringat kat Blackie I yg anti-social dan penakut. Blackie selalu hiss kat org yg dia tak kenal dan cabut dan sorok.

Tapi PeterPan looked so adorable, so valiant, jadik I pun panggil dia sambil hulur tangan kepada dia. Dia pun bangun dan drag himself kat aku dan gosok2 kepala dia di tangan aku. Sungguh manja lah. Amboi, ambik hati I sajer lah...........I so sayang dia walaupun first time meet dia.

Each time I called him "come", he'll get up and drag himself to me again. But he has difficulty sitting down, and kind of falls down with a loud plop on the floor. Sedih aku tengok dia macam tu. Klu kaki dia tak cedera, I would have picked him up to peluk2. But takut hurt him, so I only petted and stroked him.

June, Olivia said Reiki needs more than 3 days, that 3 days not enough.

PeterPan, I love you. Get well soon, please, please, please.
Old 08-08-2008, 11:01 PM
Animal Lover

Me too.tak percaya Peterpan tak takut orang lain tadi.hard to believe.he!!!he!! probably he can sense people who are cat lovers or animal lovers.

3 days is not enough but Alicia said it is just a step to know weather he can accept it or not.tmrw I will chk with them if i should bring him on weekly basis.

dia dah biasa kat rmh kita org selalu panggil dia Peter,come boy.come here.so bila orang panggil come dia pun dtg.klu u panggil Peter pun dia datang. Now u understand why I love him so much.
Old 08-08-2008, 11:02 PM
Animal Lover

I called him "PeterPan" dan "PP" sebab tak tau aper namer dia dipanggil di umah, tapi, he still comes. So friendly and affectionate. That is one priceless cat. I can understand why you would do anything to make him better. I would, too, if I were in your shoes.

My Blackie, huh! a bit on the langsi side.....if he likes, he'll come when you call. If he doesn't, he'd just sit there and look at you, like as if he's the boss and how dare you ask him to move his heavy butt to you. And these days, he developed a bad habit.......he calls you to come to him and if you don't understand, he'll poke his head out of his bedroom, give you a look, and meow until you get up. Then he'll go inside his room, giving occasional glances behind to make sure you're following him.

That's why I call him the master, and me the slave. He calls, and I jump to do his bidding. And if he's sleeping on my chair at the computer, I can't remove him. He'll bat my hand away, and meowed. But, if I'm asleep in my room, he has no qualms about coming in to bite my hair or ankle (if it's exposed), to wake me up.

I forgot to ask Olivia what Reiki is. What is it? Anyway, I really hope something can be done for PP.
Old 08-09-2008, 02:46 PM
Animal Lover

Quoted:
Although on occasion, gentle pressure by the veterinarian on the bladder can expel the obstruction and relieve the blockage, usually a urinary catheter will be required. The passage of the catheter into the bladder requires sedation or light anesthesia unless the patient is near death. Although most catheters can be inserted, occasionally the stone or plug is so tightly lodged within the urethra that the urinary catheter cannot be passed. Flushing may be done to help move it out back into the bladder.

If male cats develop repeated episodes of this condition, a surgery called “ perineal urethrostomy” will be performed to permanently change the size of the outflow tract to make it less likely a stone can become stuck. In this surgery, the urethra is shortened and widened making him more like a girl cat in the anatomy. The male cat will then urinate from an opening in the skin below the anus, and not out of the penis.

The surgery will not prevent subsequent bouts of blockage, and may slightly predispose the cat to bladder infections. This is life saving surgery though, since repeated bouts or intractable blockage will lead to death of the cat.

If the bladder was very over-distended during blockage, some damage to the bladder wall may have occurred and only time will tell whether the muscles that produce normal emptying and squeezing down of the bladder will recover. Rarely, if extremely over-distended, tears can occur in the wall of the bladder, requiring surgical repair in another type of surgical procedure.

Once the obstruction has been relieved, cats will require at least a few days stay in the hospital. The urine is analyzed and cultured (to see if the urine contains bacteria) and antibioticswill be started if needed. Intravenous fluid therapy is provided as most blocked cats have dangerous levels of toxins in the blood and have bloodstream electrolyte imbalances that need to be corrected.

The veterinarian will leave the urinary catheter in place until it is less likely the cat will block again when it is removed. Spasms and pain will be attended to with medication, and sometimes tranquilizers are administered in order to relax an unhappy patient.

End Quote:

Scary...