Go

Go Back   PetFinder.my > Pet Welfare, Rescue & Adoption > Animal Organizations & Societies

Old 12-12-2008, 09:01 PM
PetFinder Moderator

dog is my buddy has disabled reputation
Exclamation No-kill shelter

No-kill is an animal sheltering philosophy which rejects euthanasia as a means of population control. Animals are only euthanized if they are too sick to be treated or too aggressive to be suitable for adoption.

Approximately three to four million pets are killed yearly in shelters across the United States.The no-kill movement is trying to end this killing by increasing the demand for shelter dogs and cats and reducing the supply. The no-kill movement hopes to reduce the number of animals born and thus the number of animals which end up in shelters through increased spay/neuter, including low-cost/free help for low-income people. Coupled with increasing the number of adoptions through various techniques the no-kill movement hopes to ultimately end the killing of homeless pets.

I do something more meaning than other. Rusricrus Foundation going support it. Have someone from Australia going give hand support. To those No-kill shelter group. Please contact us.

http://www.onboardsign.net/ROCRICRUS-FOUNDATION.php

Sometimes,things in life are out of our control. We just need to accept the fact.
Rocky, Ricky and Rusty is my best friend.

Last edited by dog is my buddy; 12-21-2008 at 12:38 PM.
Old 12-14-2008, 11:18 AM
PetFinder Guru

mrsdolittle is on a distinguished road
Default Re: No-kill shelter

BRO,

iTS TOO COMPLICATED TO GET THROUGH...

IS HERE ANY OTHER WAY?
Old 12-14-2008, 12:02 PM
PetFinder Moderator

MrsDolittle,
Rosricrus Foundation only support at Malaysia. We try help find public do donate to independence rescue group. I receive many email from world wide for asking how they can help. But I cannot see Malaysia people have write any email to me, Only few is my friend have do.

Sometimes,things in life are out of our control. We just need to accept the fact.
Old 12-14-2008, 10:43 PM
Petfinder Moderator

blackie007 has disabled reputation

Mrs Dolittle,

What dog is my buddy is trying to do is to be a facilitator to help ease the financial burden of independent animal rescuers. It is a noble cause that he has undertaken.

He has set up Rocricrus Foundation to this end. And this is how it works:

Pet shops, the public, and Petfinder members, are encouraged to donate cat or dog food, shampoo, toys, etc., to the foundation. For the moment, he does not accept cash donation as he has not worked out a system yet on how to manage cash donation.

All independent animal rescuers are welcomed to email him at buddy@onboardsign.net for these donations that he have received.

It would be great if you could help spread the word around, as support from Malaysians have been rather discouraging. Instead, it is the foreigners who responded and emailed him on how they could help.

You can read more about it at http://www.onboardsign.net/ROCRICRUS-FOUNDATION.php
Old 12-14-2008, 10:58 PM
PetFinder Moderator

007 and Mrs Dolittle,
Thank you support the Rocricrus Foundation, I still find out independent animal rescuers need our help, and I going support to No-kill shelter independent animal rescuers only. I received some email from Australia and USA for asking No-kill shelter at Malaysia.
Please support an no-kill shelter because pet's aren't disposable. There are several ways you can directly contribute to our efforts to provide care and rehabilitation for these animals. Every adoption helps us save another life.

One of my company support to Planet Dog's flagship initiative is the Planet Dog Foundation. The Foundation, whose philanthropic mission is to promote and celebrate programs that enable dogs to serve and support their best friends, receives 2% of every Planet Dog purchase. These vital funds, augmented by individual financial contributions and a growing endowment, are donated back to non-profit canine service programs USA nation-wide.

Last edited by dog is my buddy; 12-14-2008 at 11:09 PM.
Old 12-14-2008, 11:14 PM
Petfinder Moderator

Yes...no-kill shelter. Too many shelters put the animals to sleep after their "expiry date", like throwing away a can of beans that have expired.

Err...just to lari topik for a while (sorry, DIMB), I want to share an experience I had a year or 2 ago. I rescued this tiny kitten from a rubbish dumpster, it was about 2 weeks old or less, and all covered with big, red fire ants. It was meowing so pitifully all day, and I finally followed its voice to a dumpster across the road from where I used to live. I cleaned it up, bottle-fed, and took it to a shelter the next day. The person in charge asked for donation, which I didn't mind giving, but what upset me was after issuing me with a receipt, she said they'll put the kitten to sleep as it's too young to be adopted.

I was in a dilemma. I couldn't keep it, and I couldn't bear to see such a cute kitty put to sleep. It resembles my Blackie when it was that age. I felt that I had made a big mistake taking the kitten there, that instead of rescuing it, I had actually condemned it to death. After that, I no longer take any strays to the shelter.

So, any shelters that adopt a no-kill policy have my fullest support.
Old 12-15-2008, 10:46 AM
Animal Lover

June is on a distinguished road
Default No-kill shelter

Clement, just want to chk with you.I regularly donating stuff,cat foods etc (but no cash) to SPCA.But they are put cats/dogs to sleep.So i assume this is not no kill shelter?? Otherwise I channel my donation to you.
Old 12-15-2008, 10:59 AM
Pets Are NOT Disposable

FurKids is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by June View Post
Clement, just want to chk with you.I regularly donating stuff,cat foods etc (but no cash) to SPCA.But they are put cats/dogs to sleep.So i assume this is not no kill shelter?? Otherwise I channel my donation to you.
SPCA and PAWS are called "kill shelters" because they put to sleep (PTS) a very, very large number of good healthy or very young animals which are surrendered to them.

A good example of "no-kill Shelters" which DO NOT practise putting to sleep good healthy or very young animals is Furry Friends Farm because they believe the animals have a right to live, and they need lots of donations and kind, passionate volunteers to keep help these animals alive by providing food and shelter.

As such, please do give your ample donations to these "no-kill" shelters.
"We organized in the past to make Trap-Neuter-Return possible. Today, we organize to make Trap-Neuter-Return the norm and to end the unnecessary killing of cats in animal shelters across the country and provide humane care." - Alley Cat Allies

Last edited by FurKids; 12-15-2008 at 11:11 AM.
Old 12-15-2008, 12:43 PM
PetFinder Moderator

June and Furkid,
Thank you for support Rocrisrus Foundation, at the moment i not do receive cash donate, because cannot manage it. you can plan for donation the item as Contributors • Our Wish List http://www.onboardsign.net/ROCRICRUS-FOUNDATION.php
you keep the item first before I get the list independence rescue group. You can list up what the item want donate. I can notice at web page there.
You can email anything or need any help to me.
Your name for donation to us will place at Rocricrus web page. Everyone will proud of you done.

Old 12-15-2008, 05:25 PM
Petfinder Moderator

Furkids is right, June. SPCA is a kill shelter. I don't know about PAWS, but SPCA kills very young animals that are surrendered to them under the reason that noboby will want to adopt these animlas as they are too young.

Furkids, where is Furry Farm? If I rescue any helpless kittens in future, can I take them there?
Old 12-15-2008, 10:16 PM
PetFinder Buddy

lisalau is on a distinguished road

Dear friends,
What DIMB is doing is noble and I would like to give support in whatever ways I can to Rocrisrus Foundation. I am going to see the website for more details. I heard about SPCA's "kill" policy where they have to PTS the animals if the space is limited, etc..

I have surrendered an abandoned dog (end of Oct, I think) to PAWS and I hope it's still there, though I fully understand that PAWS also has to PTS the animal due to lack of space. I guess it would be good idea to contribute to PAWS/SPCA for the sake of the animals there. And definitely, we want to support "no kill" poliy at Rocrisrus Foundation. I am sure all of us are doing our best we can for the sake of our furry and not-so-furry friends. :)
Old 12-16-2008, 01:04 AM
PetFinder Moderator

Thanks Lisa for you interested. you can view the Contributors • Our Wish List, if wish do donate to us. Rocrisrus Foundation very clear and understand the concept.
donated to Rocrisrus Foundation give No-kill shelter independence rescue group

Old 12-16-2008, 10:22 AM
PetFinder Guru

mrsdolittle is on a distinguished road

dEAR dimb,

No promises, but i will try my very best to get sponsors for your foundation.

About the killing or non killing shelters, we have to understand their position, due to lack of space and most PEOPLE are more keen in adopting Pedigree / pure breed, compare to Mongrel or local short hair cats. This is why most of them are left there. Recently, Christine of SPCA is looking for a new piece of land and promoting "SPCA a non-killing shelter". These shelters, in a way had done their part as well...

There are bulletins on the net on this particular subject... the main thing here is... Weather or not we are aware about creating the awareness to the public about caring for animals and taking them in as one of the family members.

Not just that, we could even look for sponsors for these poor animals in the shelters and get a group of the animals sponsored by a body or organizations. This is not a suggestion but it does exist. Therefore, these animals will not put to sleep.

It is up to us to help these poor creatures and lets take some actions...

DIMB... sorry la akak lari topic....

Last edited by mrsdolittle; 12-16-2008 at 10:33 AM. Reason: vocab
Old 12-16-2008, 12:05 PM
Animal Lover

Ferreted is an unknown quantity at this point

DIMB, good on you! noble intentions! let us know when you have an address(es) or bank account for this foundation where we could drop off/send/wire donations easily. Surely donations will POUR, hahaha especially at animal gatherings.

Well, i can only hope that kill/no-kill shelters still get donations that they awfully need, regardless. 50-50%? i second LisaLau's comment.

Sometimes we dont even have to take out a penny.. like newspapers and old clothings..

Cheers
Old 12-16-2008, 12:54 PM
PetFinder Moderator

Ferreted,
Thank you for interested Rocricrus Fondation and support No-kill shelter. I only receive donate pet supply item, you can view the Contributors • Our Wish List. At the moment I not do receive any cash donation, because I unable manage it. You wish to do donate to us, your name will place at web page. The donate item you keep first, waiting some inquire and we going do review before give to them.
At the moment still nobody inquire my goods by No-kill shelter independence rescue group.

Last edited by dog is my buddy; 12-17-2008 at 02:12 AM.
Old 12-17-2008, 12:10 AM
PetFinder Moderator

Some cats and dogs will be put to death in our nation’s animal shelter. Their only “crime” is that they have no human address. Others may be sick or injured, but they could be saved with little effort. Unfortunately, they, too, will be killed. And still others arel cat who should never enter shelters in the first place. But there is hope.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackie007 View Post
Yes...no-kill shelter. Too many shelters put the animals to sleep after their "expiry date", like throwing away a can of beans that have expired.

Err...just to lari topik for a while (sorry, DIMB), I want to share an experience I had a year or 2 ago. I rescued this tiny kitten from a rubbish dumpster, it was about 2 weeks old or less, and all covered with big, red fire ants. It was meowing so pitifully all day, and I finally followed its voice to a dumpster across the road from where I used to live. I cleaned it up, bottle-fed, and took it to a shelter the next day. The person in charge asked for donation, which I didn't mind giving, but what upset me was after issuing me with a receipt, she said they'll put the kitten to sleep as it's too young to be adopted.

I was in a dilemma. I couldn't keep it, and I couldn't bear to see such a cute kitty put to sleep. It resembles my Blackie when it was that age. I felt that I had made a big mistake taking the kitten there, that instead of rescuing it, I had actually condemned it to death. After that, I no longer take any strays to the shelter.

So, any shelters that adopt a no-kill policy have my fullest support.

Old 12-17-2008, 01:22 AM
PetFinder Moderator

Member,
It more meaning helping those animal than other. One of No-kill shelter independence rescue group at Malaysia as below.

picture Narelle & Pipi from Langkawi Animal Shelter.
The Sanctuary has a no-kill policy and cares for animals whose age, disposition or disability make them unlikely to find homes. Many of our animals are road accident or trauma cases and therefore need special love and attention. These animals are given the opportunity to live out their lives with dignity.

For stray cats which are on the streets, they are trapped and sterilized, then returned to their normal habitat. In this way the Sanctuary hopes to control the stray population. An adoption centre is also in operation. Animals put up for adoption are spayed, neutered, dewormed and vaccinated. Any wildlife brought to the shelter are treated and once healthy are then returned back to nature.

Old 12-17-2008, 01:55 AM
PetFinder Buddy

Dongdong86 is on a distinguished road

Hi, DIMB, as i promised, i am starting to help you out in KL area. But it would be hard to control, especially cash donation. I would discourage anyone to buy from an "unethical" pet store especially which sell animals. By purchasing with them, you are actually helping them to do unethical business. I have a suggestion, to buy straight from suppliers. Supplier i would strongly suggest Regal supplier as the quality of food is value for money. furthermore, he helps Tails Unlimited, a no kill shelter in Sungai Long a lot by giving extra discounts on dog food. But it is up for your decisions which supplier you will choose. I believe you know more supplier than me.

Now the problems is how to handle the fund. We cant tell public the exact price of dog food at suppliers' price. Therefore there must a truly trustable person to in-charge of the fund.

For no kill shelter, i know Tails Unlimited and am helping them.

Thanks.
Old 12-17-2008, 02:08 AM
PetFinder Moderator

Hey Dong,
Thank you for coming at morning. At the moment Rocrisrus foundation just receive pet supply donation by public. I receive donate whatever public give, it include car too. I have plan donate my old car away someday, if my Rocriscus still alive. Rocrisrus Foundation very clear and understand the concept.
donated to Rocrisrus Foundation give No-kill shelter independence rescue group. I still not receive any officially require from independence rescue group.

Old 12-17-2008, 02:12 AM
PetFinder Buddy

Dongdong86 is on a distinguished road

wow, a car, i need a car at this moment too. can see to me?

Sorry discussing personal things. I would ask Tails Unlimited to reply you as soon as possible, they told me they received email from you already. They are just too busy to reply you, everyday cleaning, working and sleeping.