Go

Go Back   PetFinder.my > The Animal Corner > Dogs & Puppies > Training & Behavioral Issues

Training & Behavioral Issues Does your dog have an attitude, or just simply refuses to listen to you? Share it with your peers here and learn more about a cat's behavior and training methods

Old 05-07-2008, 10:58 AM
PetFinder Moderator

dog is my buddy has disabled reputation
Default Potty Training

hi,
here is my story for you all. I am staying at apartment.
Potty Training
To teach the dog where to relieve herself. at first you need clean up the smell where they potty/pee before,need do 100% clean up.
1.when find up he/she want potty or pee,bring they on news paper area at floor.make ready 6 news paper at floor. they will do smelling find the place. the best way try get one pee with news paper put at 6 news paper there.
2.never let they make single mistake
3.let they know where you want they to go and...
4.reward they for doing so. "goooood boy/girl."
5.remember each hour hurry the dog to the intended toilet area or dry area with news paper.(go pee! or Go poop). Praise and offer a couple of training treats when successful.
6.the potty training need about 3-4 month for successful.
7.If fail for potty training might facing many problem,they do pee and poop every where,the pee stink is hard to erase,you cannot bring they to friends house or restaurant.

my dog rocky need 2 month for seccessful ,and ricky have follow rocky did, he only less then 2 month.
that the best way for dry area potty training. News paper good and easy clean up.Just much more affordable!! Good for urban dog owner.

Sometimes,things in life are out of our control. We just need to accept the fact.
Rocky, Ricky and Rusty is my best friend.
Old 05-08-2008, 03:06 AM
Founder, PetFinder.my

AndyKoh has disabled reputation
Default Re: Potty Training

thanks for your potty training tips!

have you tried training them to go into the toilet? maybe can place a wide plastic container for them to pee and poo inside hehe..
Old 05-08-2008, 08:57 AM
PetFinder Moderator

I place the news paper dry area floor. Toilet no so good, because it no dry, second news paper easy clean up.Just much more affordable.

Sometimes,things in life are out of our control. We just need to accept the fact.
Old 11-11-2008, 05:58 PM
Animal Lover

cheng_see is on a distinguished road

for your free potty training map poster...

http://www.dogsworld.net
Old 11-11-2008, 06:03 PM
PetFinder Moderator

Thanks for sharing.

Old 05-22-2009, 02:31 PM
Animal Lover

weetingtan is on a distinguished road

Hi all,

I try a few method but it does not work. My Heidi is about 4months old. we trained her since we bought her. She is a schnauzer. Maybe I should let you know some backgrounds. Both me and my husband is working, we cannot let her out because mainly she is not toilet train. What we did now is everytime, before letting her to come out, we will let her pee poo in her kennel (i know most puppy do not like to pee poo on their cage). To let her peepoo, we will need to bring the kennel near to our staircase, not too sure why she want it to be there. But the thing is accident do happen.

Currently, I had bought the wee wee spray and try to use that. The thing is she like to bite the newspaper. she will bite and never peepoo there. HOW??

Please advice me how to train her as i would like her to freely out from the kennel and do not want to put her in the kennel during working hours. It is too sad.

Thanks..
Old 05-23-2009, 09:46 PM
Animal Lover

cheng_see is on a distinguished road

hi Weetingtan,

First there is 2 options ..

1) to keep puppy in a cage that is large enough for it to move around but not large enough for it to make a bathroom attach to poo and pee.
However some puppies are just to young to hold for so many hours when owners are away for long hours thus u may want to do option 2.
2) use a play pen that is large and have a corner with newspaper. However I understand that your puppy chew and play with the newspaper. You may want to try using a potty pan to 'clip' down the newspaper , thus making it difficult for the puppy to chew on it. (pls see attach photo of the potty pan and sample set up). Note: dogs sometimes choose to pee/poo on different surface materials eg some prefer absorbent material such as newspaper, floor mat while some prefer grass and some prefer floor surface . You got to first find out the surface material your puppy prefers.
Also note: Besides newspaper some people choose to use floor mats and wash it daily.You may also use wee wee pads (you can use the doggies ones or use those use for humans) or you may buy sintatic grass .
by the way , have you downloaded my free potty training e-map ?

All the best ;-)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSC02988.jpg
Views:	314
Size:	106.4 KB
ID:	5437   Click image for larger version

Name:	Picture(220).jpg
Views:	317
Size:	17.0 KB
ID:	5438  

Last edited by cheng_see; 05-23-2009 at 09:52 PM. Reason: forgot to include some comments.
Old 05-25-2009, 02:22 PM
Animal Lover

weetingtan is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheng_see View Post
hi Weetingtan,

1) to keep puppy in a cage that is large enough for it to move around but not large enough for it to make a bathroom attach to poo and pee.
However some puppies are just to young to hold for so many hours when owners are away for long hours thus u may want to do option 2.
2) use a play pen that is large and have a corner with newspaper. However I understand that your puppy chew and play with the newspaper. You may want to try using a potty pan to 'clip' down the newspaper , thus making it difficult for the puppy to chew on it. (pls see attach photo of the potty pan and sample set up). Note: dogs sometimes choose to pee/poo on different surface materials eg some prefer absorbent material such as newspaper, floor mat while some prefer grass and some prefer floor surface . You got to first find out the surface material your puppy prefers.
Also note: Besides newspaper some people choose to use floor mats and wash it daily.You may also use wee wee pads (you can use the doggies ones or use those use for humans) or you may buy sintatic grass .

All the best ;-)
Dear Cheng See,

Thanks for your advice. I try to place a floor mat above the news paper but i find out my puppy do not like to go to the floor mat, instead she like to pee and poo somewhere near it as I had put a divider in between. How? She like to pee and poo at the floor tiles. I think she should be ok ..right? But just that her coat will be dirty as the floor tiles do not absorb the pee.. :( Now im trying to download the e-map as you advice. hopefully it may be able to help..thanks again..
Old 07-15-2009, 07:03 PM
Animal Lover

Funk is on a distinguished road

My trick works on puppies and it does not take more than 3 tries

1. Just take a swipe of the faeces or urine with newspaper where it did its business (make sure the dog is watching).

2. Hold it's collar and let him smell (obviously it'll squirm away but don't let it do so)

3. Lead it by it's collar with the soiled newspaper in front and dump the newspaper where you want it to be at.

Good luck!
Old 01-06-2010, 03:21 AM
Animal Lover

meiers is on a distinguished road

Positive re-enforcement training really did the trick with my pup. I only brought her back for 1 week and she already knows she needs to pee poo in the toilet. (But i still not very confident if she is a 100% potty safe)

It took some time and effort (which i have, since i'm on summer holidays) but it's worth it

What i did was, I place a wee wee pad in the designated place (in this case the toilet). I wanted to use newspapers at first, but because my pup's a schnauzer, she have hair inbetween her paws, so the she ends up stepping on the pee and walk all over the house

The best time to try to let the pup pee poo is
- morning, after meals (aprox 10 mins later), after play time, after naps
during this time, walk the pup to the toilet n ask them to wee wee when they step on the wee wee pad/newspaper

if she dont, then continue playing with the pup for aprox 10 min then walk them to the toilet again.

if she wee or poo then praise her quietly until she finish. When she is done praise her lavishly and give her a treat

do that everytime she wee n poo at the correct place. Dont scold if they do it in the wrong place. just clean up and spray with deodorant (non ammonia base)

Now my puppy understand the concept, and after she pee n poo in the toilet, she will wait for the tasty treat beside me after i praise her
Old 01-06-2010, 09:04 PM
PetFinder Moderator

Hi,
what dog you got there? reward and praise always giving when them do the right thing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by meiers View Post
Positive re-enforcement training really did the trick with my pup. I only brought her back for 1 week and she already knows she needs to pee poo in the toilet. (But i still not very confident if she is a 100% potty safe)

It took some time and effort (which i have, since i'm on summer holidays) but it's worth it

What i did was, I place a wee wee pad in the designated place (in this case the toilet). I wanted to use newspapers at first, but because my pup's a schnauzer, she have hair inbetween her paws, so the she ends up stepping on the pee and walk all over the house

The best time to try to let the pup pee poo is
- morning, after meals (aprox 10 mins later), after play time, after naps
during this time, walk the pup to the toilet n ask them to wee wee when they step on the wee wee pad/newspaper

if she dont, then continue playing with the pup for aprox 10 min then walk them to the toilet again.

if she wee or poo then praise her quietly until she finish. When she is done praise her lavishly and give her a treat

do that everytime she wee n poo at the correct place. Dont scold if they do it in the wrong place. just clean up and spray with deodorant (non ammonia base)

Now my puppy understand the concept, and after she pee n poo in the toilet, she will wait for the tasty treat beside me after i praise her

Old 01-06-2010, 10:26 PM
Animal Lover

I got a 3 month old female miniature schnauzer
Old 01-15-2010, 08:41 PM
Animal Lover

sportycat is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by cheng_see View Post
hi Weetingtan,

All the best ;-)
Hi! that a really good tip... were can i get tat grill in the picture? my Pomeranian is 2 months. He will bark at nite because it wanted to pee. is really tiring for me to wake up 3am every day just to let me out to pee... i hope you could tell me were can i purchase tat.. TQ
Old 07-31-2010, 05:42 PM
Animal Lover

eric84 is on a distinguished road

my JRt has been with me for almost a year now.. as we are away to work, we put him in a cage and only allow him to come out when we're back.

our schedule is to put him out to do his work in the morning once, and put him out twice at night. it used to work until recently he barks whenever we put him outside, wanting to come inside.. he refuse to do his work unless we do a few rounds of run with him.. problem is we don't have time to do this in morning and the barks are disturbing the neighbors... so we gotta put him inside and he starts to pee and poo at various places...

please tell me what can i do? i'm tired to clean up after him...
Old 08-01-2010, 08:53 PM
Animal Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric84 View Post
my JRt has been with me for almost a year now.. as we are away to work, we put him in a cage and only allow him to come out when we're back.

our schedule is to put him out to do his work in the morning once, and put him out twice at night. it used to work until recently he barks whenever we put him outside, wanting to come inside.. he refuse to do his work unless we do a few rounds of run with him.. problem is we don't have time to do this in morning and the barks are disturbing the neighbors... so we gotta put him inside and he starts to pee and poo at various places...

please tell me what can i do? i'm tired to clean up after him...
Hi Eric

Let me get this straight... so now u want to housebreak ur JRT indoor?

I'd suggest, if you want him pee poo in the toilet, take the cage and block the toilet entry with the cage door facing inside the toilet. Lay some newspaper on the toilet floor... leave him there while u get ready for work.

If your toilet is large... do block off the extra areas with cardboard boxes etc... you don't want to make him wondering around the toilet and forget why he's there in the first place.

When he pee poo on the newspaper, you can praise him, and give him a treat, then let him run around awhile.

This training worked for my schnauzer only took her 1 week to learn how to pee on paper, and about 1 month for poo... lol! abit slow on that... dunu why. After a horrible 1 week... I didn't have to worry about wiping pee off the floor anymore.
Old 08-02-2010, 05:02 PM
Animal Lover

eric84 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by meiers View Post
Hi Eric

Let me get this straight... so now u want to housebreak ur JRT indoor?

I'd suggest, if you want him pee poo in the toilet, take the cage and block the toilet entry with the cage door facing inside the toilet. Lay some newspaper on the toilet floor... leave him there while u get ready for work.

If your toilet is large... do block off the extra areas with cardboard boxes etc... you don't want to make him wondering around the toilet and forget why he's there in the first place.

When he pee poo on the newspaper, you can praise him, and give him a treat, then let him run around awhile.

This training worked for my schnauzer only took her 1 week to learn how to pee on paper, and about 1 month for poo... lol! abit slow on that... dunu why. After a horrible 1 week... I didn't have to worry about wiping pee off the floor anymore.
Thanks for the info. But my JRT is a disaster. He bites almost everything he has with his mouth. We've tried putting newspaper, mats, and even those pads. He end up chewing it up. The grass part seemed successful until recently dunno why he dun do it outside. Only pee indoors everywhere, but not outside.. sigh!!
Old 08-03-2010, 06:04 PM
Animal Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by eric84 View Post
Thanks for the info. But my JRT is a disaster. He bites almost everything he has with his mouth. We've tried putting newspaper, mats, and even those pads. He end up chewing it up. The grass part seemed successful until recently dunno why he dun do it outside. Only pee indoors everywhere, but not outside.. sigh!!
yikes...
maybe it's because you immediately take him in once he's done peeing... that's probably why he refuse to pee...

You can always try the pee tray... the one which u don't need to use the pee pads. It's a tray with an upper cover which have small holes on it... I don't think he can bite that tray... lol.
Hope you find something that works! good luck