Go

Go Back   PetFinder.my > The Animal Corner > Cats & Kittens > Health, Disease & Diet

Health, Disease & Diet Find out the best tips and practices on managing your cat's diet, health care, and issues with diseases from our community of animal lovers

Old 01-12-2010, 03:15 PM
PetFinder Buddy

neems is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to neems
Default Flea problem [1 month old kitten] Please help!

Hi guys,

I have rescued 2 kittens recently.
The flea problem came from Mo Mo, I only noticed today. Since he's so young, I was wondering if anyone knows how to get rid of fleas from kittens at such a young age?

I bathed both of them when I first got them home. Moki does not have fleas, but Mo Mo still does. I asked the vet for help but he told me to wash him with flea shampoo. I've read that it's not safe for kittens. Please help! Thanks. :)

Here are their pet profiles:

Mo Mo : http://www.petfinder.my/pets/9481/

Moki : http://www.petfinder.my/pets/9413/
Old 01-12-2010, 03:48 PM
PetFinder Guru

Felix The Cat is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Flea problem [1 month old kitten] Please help!

Quote:
Originally Posted by neems View Post
Hi guys,

I have rescued 2 kittens recently.
The flea problem came from Mo Mo, I only noticed today. Since he's so young, I was wondering if anyone knows how to get rid of fleas from kittens at such a young age?

I bathed both of them when I first got them home. Moki does not have fleas, but Mo Mo still does. I asked the vet for help but he told me to wash him with flea shampoo. I've read that it's not safe for kittens. Please help! Thanks. :)

Here are their pet profiles:

Mo Mo : http://www.petfinder.my/pets/9481/

Moki : http://www.petfinder.my/pets/9413/

Hi Neems,

Why don't you use Frontline spray?
Its safe for pregnant cats as well as kittens aged above 2 days old

Felix The Cat - Dee wonderful wonderful cat!
http://felixthecats.weebly.com
http://livinginmyworld-phyllis.blogspot.com/
Old 01-12-2010, 03:55 PM
PetFinder Buddy

Hi!

Thanks for the reply! I have asked some pwople about using the spray, they say it's not safe either. That's why I'm stuck. Is there any other way?
Old 01-12-2010, 04:04 PM
Animal Lover

June is on a distinguished road

What abt Frontline Spot On?? Try that one.

Quote:
Hi!

Thanks for the reply! I have asked some pwople about using the spray, they say it's not safe either. That's why I'm stuck. Is there any other way?
Old 01-12-2010, 04:15 PM
Human :-)

prinz38i is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to prinz38i

Quote:
Hi!

frontline spray is ok as vet also using it. You dont spray it to them, but spray on a facial cotton or normal cotton then wipe on their fur. but not on the face area.
Old 01-12-2010, 04:26 PM
PetFinder Guru

Felix The Cat is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Hi!

Frontline Spray provides long-lasting, effective control of fleas and ticks on your cat and dog. Kills up to 100% of existing fleas in less than 24 hours. Frontline Spray continues killing fleas for an entire month or more. Recommended for: Severe existing flea and tick infestations, Multi-pet households, Initial treatment of flea allergy dermatitis (FAD.) Dogs and cats as well as puppies and kittens 4 weeks of age or older.

This is what I managed to get off the Frontline website. So it is safe to use on kittens

Felix The Cat - Dee wonderful wonderful cat!
http://felixthecats.weebly.com
http://livinginmyworld-phyllis.blogspot.com/
Old 01-12-2010, 06:49 PM
PetFinder Buddy

Thank you all. :) I'm glad that I can do something about it. Do you know how much the Frontline Spray is? I think I've used it before, it's the blue and white bottle, am I right? Thanks again :)
Old 01-12-2010, 09:28 PM
Animal Lover

The big bottle cost me RM70. I bought it Oct last year.

Quote:
Thank you all. :) I'm glad that I can do something about it. Do you know how much the Frontline Spray is? I think I've used it before, it's the blue and white bottle, am I right? Thanks again :)
Old 01-13-2010, 09:43 AM
Animal Lover

Forrester is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by June View Post
What abt Frontline Spot On?? Try that one.
Are you kidding? The Spot-On is even more damaging because the kitten needs to be older than for the Spray. Please check out any advise that you give out to others because if you give out the wrong information of ignorance, it will cause damage to the poor kitten. Also, there is the amount (volume) to be applied according to the body weight so as to prevent overdosage because all flea products are poison and hence, is toxic. So be very careful with the application and the amount. Also, you must never apply more than once within 30 days because of the toxicity, so you really need to do it properly. Read the instructions carefully and refer to Frontline website.
Old 01-13-2010, 10:03 AM
Animal Lover

Hello!! I read one glance only to realise if was a kitten,ok. Don't get emotional.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forrester View Post
Are you kidding? The Spot-On is even more damaging because the kitten needs to be older than for the Spray. Please check out any advise that you give out to others because if you give out the wrong information of ignorance, it will cause damage to the poor kitten. Also, there is the amount (volume) to be applied according to the body weight so as to prevent overdosage because all flea products are poison and hence, is toxic. So be very careful with the application and the amount. Also, you must never apply more than once within 30 days because of the toxicity, so you really need to do it properly. Read the instructions carefully and refer to Frontline website.
Old 01-13-2010, 11:37 AM
Animal Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by June View Post
Hello!! I read one glance only to realise if was a kitten,ok. Don't get emotional.
Not emotional, Moderator, just pointing out some facts so that the kitten does not get hurt because some owners do not bother to check things out and immediately carries out the well-meaning "advice" given out because they think they are getting "correct" advice. It helps to understand the situation, reduce miscommunication and for everyone to be more responsible all round, especially when giving out advice to a novice who can sometimes misunderstand.
Old 01-13-2010, 11:55 AM
Animal Lover

Neems, I read that actually in UK, you need a vet's prescription to purchase the Frontline spray (see http://www.buyfrontline.co.uk/), so that is an indication that like all insecticides which are classified as poisons, need to be handled with great care. I attach instructions from Frontline website on how to apply the Frontline Spray, I hope it helps you as it has helped me.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf fl_spray_app_guide.pdf (609.8 KB, 138 views)
Old 01-13-2010, 05:28 PM
PetFinder Buddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Forrester View Post
Neems, I read that actually in UK, you need a vet's prescription to purchase the Frontline spray (see http://www.buyfrontline.co.uk/), so that is an indication that like all insecticides which are classified as poisons, need to be handled with great care. I attach instructions from Frontline website on how to apply the Frontline Spray, I hope it helps you as it has helped me.
Thank you. :)

I have bought the spray before a long time ago. I was trying to cure an adult cat, which was much easier. So, I think I'm going to let the vet do it.
Feeding them can be hard for me, I can't imagine putting the spray on. I don't want anything bad to happen. Thanks again.
Old 01-13-2010, 08:47 PM
Animal Lover

jamal is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Thank you. :)

I have bought the spray before a long time ago. I was trying to cure an adult cat, which was much easier. So, I think I'm going to let the vet do it.
Feeding them can be hard for me, I can't imagine putting the spray on. I don't want anything bad to happen. Thanks again.
i got same exp. i sent my furkid to the vet in tmn segar. they did the same way...spray frontline on them. since that day i get one to get ready for the unexpected enemy. like what akak felix said...frontline can spray on kitten as young as 2/3 days of age. read the label please
Old 01-14-2010, 12:48 AM
PetFinder Buddy

^ Yes, I know that the spray is fine, I can read. I'm just going to let the vet do it. I was saying if I did, I'm afraid something might go wrong.
Old 01-14-2010, 02:50 PM
Animal Lover

jamal is on a distinguished road

Quote:
^ Yes, I know that the spray is fine, I can read. I'm just going to let the vet do it. I was saying if I did, I'm afraid something might go wrong.
ic..ok...but dont wait too long lah, cepat2 hantar vet. flea cepat membiak. takut nanti kucing lain pun akan kena.
Old 01-14-2010, 03:21 PM
Animal Lover

Quote:
Yes, that is a wise decision if you are unsure, leave it to the experts who are professionally trained to do things. Overdosing is a real danger because kittens sometimes can be so young. Even though some websites claim safety for kittens as young as less than a week old I do wonder because their internal organs are so young and newly developed. Sometimes I wonder if some manufacturers are more interested in increasing the usage so as to make more money and safety (for your pets, not theirs) get thrown out the window.

I myself do not apply Frontline to my pets unless they actually come down with fleas because I do not want to increase their risk in developing hyperthyroidism when they are older (as studies have indicated). We only use it when absolutely necessary otherwise a flea comb used properly will do quite a good job. It only takes more time and effort, but definitely safer for the young pets.
Old 01-15-2010, 11:21 PM
PetFinder Buddy

[ic..ok...but dont wait too long lah, cepat2 hantar vet. flea cepat membiak. takut nanti kucing lain pun akan kena]

Sorry Jamal, I don't understand what you said.

Thanks for helping me guys. The flea problem is gone now. :)

I have another problem now, Mo Mo [The younger kitten] is having Diarrhea. I'm wondering maybe it's because of what he eats daily. All he wants is milk, and I have to feed him with a syringe or he won't eat anything. I have tried giving him some wet food on my hand, and all he does is suck on it. Sometimes I'll give him some wet food using a syringe. Moki on the other hand, eats very well on his own. They are both about the same age, probably just a week apart. Does anyone know whats wrong with Mo Mo? Or it's just not time yet for him to eat wet food? He is around 1 month, 1 week. What's the best food to feed kittens of this age? For now [as the vet told me]I feed them hills, and, Friskies Kitten [wet food].

I might go to the vet again to check on the diarrhea problem.

EDIT: I went to the vet today, but he's not in. I'm worried now because Mo Mo is losing some weight. I have read a lot about diarrhea problems and all. His appetite is still there, but he only drinks milk about 3/4 syringe full. He tried eating the Fancy Feast kitten food I bought today, but not much. [The woman at the vet told me everything else was discontinued, and Fancy feast was the best they had.] Does anyone know what's wrong? Please help! I've taken care of kittens from 4 months old - to 7 years of age. But never a kitten this young, It's like I'm learning everything all over again, I'm afraid I'm doing something wrong.

Last edited by neems; 01-17-2010 at 02:55 AM.
Old 01-17-2010, 03:13 AM
PetFinder Buddy

Is it possible Mo Mo has Coccidiosis?
Here's a link explaining what it is: http://pet-diseases.suite101.com/art...es_and_kittens
Old 01-18-2010, 09:40 AM
Animal Lover

Neems, you said that MoMo only sucks at the wet food (like 4 of my very young rescued orphaned kittens). This indicates that he is able to eat watery porridge-like food, so since MoMo is only about 1 month old, you can purchase a small pack of Royal Canin 34 BabyCat for very young kittens 1-4 months old (not 36 Kitten for kittens 4-12 months old) dry kibbles. Do not give milk because he is having diarrhea - I have successfully raised very young kittens with RC Babycat alone.

To prepare: Soak a teaspoonful RC Babycat kibbles in a little hot water (not boiling - you do not want to destroy any good nutrients with the high heat - never microwave it!), cover and leave aside for about 15-20 mins till it is body temperature. Use enough hot water (about 2 times the volume of the kibbles) so as to get soft kibbles.

Put the softened kibbles into a tiny (since the kitten is very tiny) saucer (like the small soya sauce saucers in Chinese food stalls). Use very clean fingers to mash up the softened kibbles till you get a smooth paste like porridge. Add a tiny bit of warm water if needed to get a porridge consistency (do not put too much water until it is too watery because you want the kitten to consume nutritious kibbles, not water!).

As you need to feed the kitten very 4 hours or so, you can soak more kibbles (1 day's supply, not more) in a tiny glass bottle and put it in the fridge. Take out 1 heapful teaspoon in the soya sauce saucer and place the saucer in a plate of hot water to warm up, then mash and give to the kitten.

Slowly as time goes, you can put less water in the mashed kibbles to get a thicker consistency and also leave some unmashed kibbles in for the kitten to get used to eating whole unmashed kibbles. Later you can start sprinkling some dry kibbles on top for it to learn to eat dry kibbles (and your life will be much easier since you can then leave a small bowl of dry kibbles for it to eat all day). With the RC Babycat, you actually do not need to supplement with milk (high risk of diarrhea because of incompatibility with mother's milk) or any wet food (DO NOT give any fish products at all - only chicken products).

My 4 orphans have since grown up big and healthy. Good luck to you, Neem!