Go

Go Back   PetFinder.my > The Animal Corner > Dogs & Puppies

Dogs & Puppies General information and discussions on taking care of your canine buddy

Old 05-31-2011, 11:59 AM
Animal Lover

Artuloon is on a distinguished road
Default What is a good small guard dog for backyard?

Hi folks,

Being a newbie with dogs, could someone advise me what is a good small dog that i should get?

I have a small backyard, half covered with grass of 250 sq ft.

Would prefer a small guard dog, with short (or minimal fur), and does not bark too often and easy to manage.

Hope someone can give me some suggestions.

Thanks.

A.
Old 06-02-2011, 05:04 PM
Animal Lover

cathy93 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: What is a good small guard dog for backyard?

u can try on poodle, never shed =) if not,adopt instead

Last edited by cathy93; 06-03-2011 at 10:36 AM.
Old 06-02-2011, 05:36 PM
Petfinder Moderator

Maneki Neko is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artuloon View Post
Hi folks,

Being a newbie with dogs, could someone advise me what is a good small dog that i should get?

I have a small backyard, half covered with grass of 250 sq ft.

Would prefer a small guard dog, with short (or minimal fur), and does not bark too often and easy to manage.

Hope someone can give me some suggestions.

Thanks.

A.
Hi, Artuloon,

I would really suggest going to the shelter or a pet adoption fair near you. I say this for several reasons:

1. It's really best if you can meet a dog personally and see how well you and the dog interact with each other. Dogs are like people -- each one is unique and has a temperament all its own.

2. Adopting a mixed-breed dog from one of these venues has many advantages. Mixed-breed dogs tend to be healthier and, if they have short coats, require much less care in terms of grooming and bathing. Finally, as you can see from Petfinder, there are so many lovely dogs who desperately need good homes. Remember, over 5 million homeless pets are euthanised every year in Malaysia. Adoption (and spaying/neutering) is the best choice.

Also, please remember to have some sheltered place in your yard where the dog can come in from out of the hot sun the rain, and be sure there is always plenty of clean water available for him or her to drink.

Good luck!
Old 06-02-2011, 10:15 PM
Animal Lover

cathy93 is on a distinguished road

visit some shelter first before you buy...^^

Last edited by cathy93; 06-03-2011 at 10:36 AM.
Old 01-16-2013, 06:49 PM
Animal Lover

JoePrince is on a distinguished road

There is a difference between guard dog and watch dog. Guard dogs have the capability to take on the intruder should someone trespass into your property. Alsatians, Doberman and the like fall into this category.

Watch dogs are dogs that are very alert and sensitive to their surroundings and raise the alarm by barking however they may not possess the physical stature to intercept the tresspasser. My Pom is a great watchdog but he's only 3kgs in size.

So you need to prioritize what you really want. Perhaps a home alarm system would better suit your needs? Because you stated that your requirements were for a watch dog that preferably doesn't shed much fur nor make much noise. I don't meant any disrespect but I feel strongly that dogs should be treated like children as they are living beings and have strong feelings of attachment to their owners. The trust and love that they give to us unconditionally means that we are bound to take special care of them.
Old 01-16-2013, 06:54 PM
Animal Lover

JoePrince is on a distinguished road

Having said that, there are other considerations. Will you allow,the dog to stay in the house or outside? If outside then a mixed breed will be hardier and more tolerant to the environment.

Preferably one that is medium sized would be better suited however regardless of the size, you still need to take the dog out for walks and have other activities together. There are plenty of good dogds in the animal shelters and you can alsomcheck with the rescuers here or go to the Facebook page for Malaysian Dogs Deserve Better. There are lots of lovely dogs available for adoption there.

Hope this helps.