Go

Go Back   PetFinder.my > Pet Welfare, Rescue & Adoption > General Discussion

General Discussion General information and discuss on animal rescue, adoption and advocacy

Old 07-18-2008, 11:33 AM
PetFinder Buddy

mw_pon is on a distinguished road
Default Abuse of PETFINDER

i notice ppl is using petfinder as a site to sell their pet rather than for adoption loh....they just say adoption but actually sell loh to proof it .....
http://www.mudah.com.my/vi/1127648.htm?ca=8_s
this rabbit is da same with da one in our listing...check it out ....
Old 07-18-2008, 11:42 AM
Founder, PetFinder.my

AndyKoh has disabled reputation
Default Re: Abuse of PETFINDER

Hi Serene,

Thanks for discovering that. However, I wouldn't really consider that as an "abuse"... it's actually more of a "misplacement". That's because right now we don't yet have proper facilities for people to list and sell pets & pet-related items... so they do not know how best to place the listings.

We will soon be making available proper facilities to mark the corresponding pet statuses, as well as listing and review of relevant products / services.

With the proper sections in place, we will definitely be able to grow PetFinder much faster by drawing in a wider community of audience, which directly translates to higher exposure for the homeless pets and more successful adoptions.

p/s: I'll keep a lookout for pugs and let you know once we have them for adoption, so you can get a companion for your lil' Rocky!
Old 07-18-2008, 11:49 AM
PetFinder Buddy

maybe wat u say is true "misplacement" but if this ppl are honest then in da description ther should put ther honest story loh y da fella put stuff lik i got no time and stuff lik tht i still consider this not an "abuse" but is "misuse" da site and another place to sell pet loh...by the way da whole site is bout adoption and most member disagree in buying pet....but da word ABUSE will attract more member to read this thread.....
oh thx for keeping an eye for me....
Old 07-18-2008, 12:47 PM
PetFinder Moderator

dog is my buddy has disabled reputation

I still cannot undersand one thing, person want adopt dog from pet finder.my, isnt need to pay to them owner or society? As i knew take a dog from SPCA need pay RM200. How about here? through pet finder.my to adopt SPCA dog still need pay for RM200? or able can get some offer? that is my simple question.

Sometimes,things in life are out of our control. We just need to accept the fact.
Rocky, Ricky and Rusty is my best friend.
Old 07-18-2008, 12:55 PM
Founder, PetFinder.my

Hi Clement, it is up to the individual rescuer or NGO to determine the adoption fee, if any. So for the pets listed under SPCA and PAWS, the adoption fees imposed by them will still follow, and it differs by pet, that's why we ask the adopters to enquire directly with them regarding the fee.

For pets from our other rescuers, some of them are free while some impose minimal adoption/medical fees.
Old 07-18-2008, 02:20 PM
PetFinder Moderator

the adopter from here should get some offer discount. that is encourage to people get into adoption program at here.
By the way I think pet finder done a good job at the moment. from 397 get 30% happy

Sometimes,things in life are out of our control. We just need to accept the fact.
Old 07-18-2008, 04:55 PM
PetFinder Buddy

hi...i do agree on da offer hahaha who don lik discount rite but we should understand too as the medical is more expensive than human medication so should understand lar as most of this rescuer din hav funding at all lik SPCA and PAWS...but some are not rescuer but act as one and ask for da adoption fees...tht is too much loh....
Old 07-19-2008, 05:15 PM
PetFinder Buddy

RoyBlue is on a distinguished road

PetFinder is doing an awesome job. as what I can say is that...

1. Nothing costs nothing in this world. You definitely have to pay for something.

2. Shelters have actually absorbed the bulk of the cost when adopting the animals.

3. it's called PETFINDER... in short for people to find a pet for themselves. If you ask me, even if it's a breeder based transaction. There will be more clarity and the ability to leave feedback on the transaction is a good thing.

I agree with AndyKoh, it's more of a misplacement...

Last edited by RoyBlue; 07-20-2008 at 03:19 AM.
Old 07-20-2008, 12:40 AM
Founder, PetFinder.my

Default Re: Abuse of PetFinder

Hi Roy,

Exactly my thoughts.

What we aim to do is to provide an open, unbiased and transparent infrastructure for all pet-related transactions, be it pet adoptions, pet sales, pet products or any other form of relevant services. Only through such an approach can we encourage better transparency between parties, which translates to better accountability.

Any party - be it rescuer, adopter, seller or buyer can be equally subjected to compliments and of course criticism, of which they will be given a fair opportunity to defend and justify themselves accordingly. If what they do/offer is good, then they definitely deserve praise and attention; and everybody should be made aware if they are found to contradict animal welfare and rights.

PetFinder also aims to provide consumers and pet owners with a more personal touch by being able to liaise directly with rescuers, merchants etc, thus giving them more all-rounded knowledge and exposure to more diversified point of views.

As of this moment, PetFinder is still at its infancy stage, with only a narrow reach of the adoption niche market. What we hope to achieve is to reach out to as diversified an audience as possible and build a large active community of animal lovers. Only through this can we effectively increase the exposure and adoption of homeless animals, as well as properly educate people on responsibly managing their pets.

Of course, all this should be made into a fun learning process, and we are really glad to have received the participation of a pet loving community that is friendly, good natured, helpful and positive.

Let's keep it up!

Last edited by AndyKoh; 07-20-2008 at 12:57 AM.
Old 07-20-2008, 01:18 PM
CEO, EzerNET

Ezer has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by mw_pon View Post
maybe wat u say is true "misplacement" but if this ppl are honest then in da description ther should put ther honest story loh y da fella put stuff lik i got no time and stuff lik tht i still consider this not an "abuse" but is "misuse" da site and another place to sell pet loh
This is true. It was an 'abuse'. But we have rectified it and make it legitimate. At PetFinder.my, you can now BUY / SELL pets as well. We'll be improving our site to add more features as ppl demand them.

PetFinder's main objective is to ensure that ALL pets, whether strays, or breed-ed, will find a loving home.

Quote:
...by the way da whole site is bout adoption and most member disagree in buying pet....but da word ABUSE will attract more member to read this thread.....
oh thx for keeping an eye for me....
I have always wondered why there are still ppl in this world who's cruel to animals. And everyday, we see abandoned animals. After years of wondering, I have come to the conclusion that people who abuse animals do not have sympathy towards them.... ie, they do not truly 'understand' that an animal, just like humans, have feelings.

So, to come to the point, I and Andy have set up PetFinder.my which is a site to educate people about pets and how to take care of them. Also, to help eradicate homeless animals in Malaysia.

And to do this, we'll need to be all inclusive. Ie, provide the tools for pet rescuers, pet owners, pet buyers, pet adopters, etc. The more people who visits this site would translate to more adoption. Period.

Take this example:

Ali Baba wanted to buy a persian cat. Ali Baba goes to PetFinder.my because he knows he can buy a cat here. But while looking thru the Pet Profiles, he came across a cute Siamese cat put up for adoption.. and he's hooked... ie, he was thinking to himself.. "Hmm.. this cat is sooo cute, and I don't really need a persian per se... and this adorable cat have no family to take care of it.. so, why not adopt it instead?'... So, Ali Baba, started out looking to buy a pet, but ended up adopting one.

You may laugh at my story, but even if 20-30% of ppl changes their mind, we'll get more pets adopted.

Also, now, Ali Baba knows that PetFinder.my can also adopt free pets, he'll be telling his friends... and before we know it, a whole flock of ppl will be coming to provide loving homes.

So, my long rant is about these points:
  • PetFinder.my is about PETS and ANIMALS
  • PetFinder.my is about educating people to be better Pet Owners (whether they are buyers or adopters)
  • PetFinder.my will find a home for ALL pets, whether they are for Adoption or for Sale.
  • By making PetFinder.my accessible to ALL people, the site will grow quicker and attract more visitors which will then encourage people to adopt a pet instead of buying.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dog is my buddy View Post
the adopter from here should get some offer discount. that is encourage to people get into adoption program at here.
By the way I think pet finder done a good job at the moment. from 397 get 30% happy
That's right BUDDY!! And it's only been 2 months! We have had so much success stories already told to us from our Rescuers and from organizations like SPCA and PAWS.

And I would like to extend my heartfelt thanks for Dog-is-my-Buddy for being one of the oldest member of this forum and helping answer quetions and educate people about pet ownership.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoyBlue View Post
PetFinder is doing an awesome job. as what I can say is that...

3. it's called PETFINDER... in short for people to find a pet for themselves. If you ask me, even if it's a breeder based transaction. There will be more clarity and the ability to leave feedback on the transaction is a good thing.
Exactly, exactly. We want to make it transparent. Bad breeders or Buyers will eventually be found out and blacklisted! Without this feature, abuse will keep going on.
Old 07-20-2008, 09:35 PM
PetFinder Moderator

Ezer,
Well, I just keep the pet finder alive and outside animal still need pet finder helping to get the way to home. Guys keep the good job. hope we can get more people coming to forum.

Old 07-21-2008, 12:23 AM
PetFinder Buddy

Props to Ezer for such an awesome explanation!!!
Old 07-21-2008, 01:23 AM
PetFinder Buddy

ChewChew1987 is on a distinguished road

I am worry though...if people start to sell pets, especially pedigrees here, mongrels might not stand a chance in competing with them.

Whenever i have pups to be put up for adoption, people will ask me what pedigree is mixed in the pups. I don't really like it when they ask me that, although it is part of the information, but a dog is a dog, when i mention mongrel, you should know it is a mongrel.

Like one of the adopters i encountered, he did not ask the type of pedigree at all. One look at the pups and he fell in love. When i asked him why he did not ask me about the pedigree type, he just said

"It doesn't matter to me at all. I love them just the same."

It is just a thought...
Old 07-21-2008, 11:46 AM
PetFinder Moderator

normally sound for adoption is free, those dog need someone to bring and get a home. Sometime it need pay some for service charge like vet cost, delivery cost, take care cost. it depand the term and condition by advertiser. If they said free adoption and then asking pay more then rm200 when you interested for adoption, that is not right.

Old 07-21-2008, 12:36 PM
PetFinder Buddy

wat i am trying to say is ppl say for adoption but in another site say sell is not rite loh...even though now petfinder hav the category for SALE still i am sure some will purposely put it under adoptions cos is easier to find buyers...y at 1st i said abuse is cos this is so called mis-use of the kind hearted adopters loh...ppl come to petfinder cos they think this will help those homeless animals but some are actually animals from petshop who unable to sell da animal and just mis-use da word adoption to sell of the pet with a lower price then they also hav good reputation too as ppl may think this ppl are doing a good deed loh....some of the rescuers as i know is really asking those adoption fees to cover medical but some are not .....and i find it very offended as this is lik "playing with adopters feelings".......
Old 07-21-2008, 04:34 PM
PetFinder Moderator

Per finder have limited power to control those happened. The main point of Pet finder is "A" dog need a home, Pet Finder web page to show "A" dog. Dog lover will find and contact "A" dog owner or person. the end point is "A" dog got a new home.

Old 07-21-2008, 09:03 PM
CEO, EzerNET

Ezer has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by mw_pon View Post
wat i am trying to say is ppl say for adoption but in another site say sell is not rite loh...even though now petfinder hav the category for SALE still i am sure some will purposely put it under adoptions cos is easier to find buyers...y at 1st i said abuse is cos this is so called mis-use of the kind hearted adopters loh...ppl come to petfinder cos they think this will help those homeless animals but some are actually animals from petshop who unable to sell da animal and just mis-use da word adoption to sell of the pet with a lower price then they also hav good reputation too as ppl may think this ppl are doing a good deed loh....some of the rescuers as i know is really asking those adoption fees to cover medical but some are not .....and i find it very offended as this is lik "playing with adopters feelings".......
That's why we have this community forum.. I am sure we'll find out who's who.... and when reported, we'll give an infraction or warn the abusers. However, as of right now, I don't think there are such abuses after the For Sale section is up.

If you find any, just pm Andy or Me or write it in this forum and we'll rectify the problem.

To be honest, I would rather have a dog sold quickly rather than have it sit in a cage at a petshop forever. If PetFinder can help sell the dogs faster, ti'll be better. Perhaps eventually we'll charge a fee for Pet Sellers to list.
Old 07-22-2008, 12:52 AM
PetFinder Buddy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ezer View Post

To be honest, I would rather have a dog sold quickly rather than have it sit in a cage at a petshop forever. If PetFinder can help sell the dogs faster, ti'll be better. Perhaps eventually we'll charge a fee for Pet Sellers to list.
My sentiments exactly. I've seen dogs at petshops GROWING OLD because even tho they are pedigree... sometimes they may not be taken in by people. It's so sad to see the dog growing in such an environment and eventually being a discount dog.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChewChew1987

I am worry though...if people start to sell pets, especially pedigrees here, mongrels might not stand a chance in competing with them.

Whenever i have pups to be put up for adoption, people will ask me what pedigree is mixed in the pups. I don't really like it when they ask me that, although it is part of the information, but a dog is a dog, when i mention mongrel, you should know it is a mongrel.

Like one of the adopters i encountered, he did not ask the type of pedigree at all. One look at the pups and he fell in love. When i asked him why he did not ask me about the pedigree type, he just said

"It doesn't matter to me at all. I love them just the same."

It is just a thought...
The thing is, sometimes people go for pedigree dogs for reasons of determining it's behavior... whether it's a hyper little fellow like a Jack Russell Terrier or a gentle giant like Saint Bernards or Labradors.

The great disadvantage of mongrels is that being mixed, not much research has been done to our furry friends of the lesser bloodline. Therefore, it would be hard to determine the dogs characteristics.

I face the same thing EVERYTIME somebody comes to adopt a dog/cat at PAWS. First thing they'll ask would be... what breed is it. If it's a mongrel, I usually answer that they're DESIGNER DOGS (much to the puzzled look of most adopters) But I have stumbled across a few adopters who have a different mentality altogether. These are the ones that REALLY REALLY CARE for the animal. They would actually ask this question because they don't want a to take a dog which doesn't really match their personality/lifestyle and believe that it's cruel to give an animal false hope of being adopted ONLY to be returned to the shelter.

Not many people have the ability to cope with a wide variety of animals like most of us. I believe that it's not about the quantity of dogs rehomed but as well as the QUALITY of the home that the dog is rehomed to.

Thanks for reading.
Old 07-22-2008, 11:25 AM
PetFinder Buddy

i do hav to agree with u but if this will help sell them faster then more and more ppl will home breed their pets... this will become the contribution to more unwanted pregnancy. still even though i support petfinder main objective to rehome animals but we also should look at da big picture.....
Old 07-22-2008, 03:36 PM
Founder, PetFinder.my

Default Re: Abuse of PetFinder

I think the key to reduction of strays is in properly educating pet owners, as well as the pet shops that sell these pets.

Stopping people from buying pets is not going to work - there will always be such a demand for various reasons, and it is much better for us to provide support for the genuine, humane ones rather than to let the underground ones and black sheeps proliferate.

We can liken the scenario to comparing the effectiveness of abstinence vs using contraception in humans. Abstinence will not work on most people whether we choose to believe it or not, and the most important thing is to sufficiently educate the people so that they have proper knowledge on how to prevent unwanted pregnancies (short of neutering and spaying each other).

That is why we have to build PetFinder into a portal that caters to the entire pet loving community - only with a broad outreach can we effectively disseminate information on how to manage pets, prevent strays, animal abuses etc.

I think the best way is for us to observe the results and see how things go. This is a learning process for all of us, and with more supporting statistics and responses down the road, we can always optimize and improve on PetFinder, to ensure that our missions and noble goals are met.