Go

Go Back   PetFinder.my > Pet Welfare, Rescue & Adoption > Animal Organizations & Societies > SPCA

SPCA All discussions and information related to the non-profit SPCA organization. SPCA is the Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals.

Old 03-17-2009, 02:49 PM
PetFinder Guru

melmel is on a distinguished road
Default Selangor State Govt Appoints SPCA to Monitor Local Municipal Council Dog Pounds

Voice for the animals
Malay Mail : March 16, 2009 Mon

GOOD news for all animal lovers. The Selangor State government has started taking steps to stop animal cruelty at local councils.

For many years, animal lovers and NGOs, such as Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (SPCA), have been calling for tighter guidelines and regulations to prevent local council contractors employed to catch dogs from abusing their powers.

Subang Jaya State assemblyman Hannah Yeoh, accompanied by SPCA chairman Christine Chin, made the well received announcement at her service centre in SS14, Subang Jaya yesterday.

“I have informed the State Assembly about what’s going on and the response was good.

State Executive Councillor for Local Government, Study and Research Committee Ronnie Liu assured me he would take necessary action to stop animal cruelty,” said Yeoh.

“For starters, Liu said a contractor employed to catch stray dogs by one particular local council cannot be employed by other councils.

Prior to this, one company will be hired by several local councils. This led to contractors to ‘reuse’ dogs that are captured,” she added.

“Secondly, Liu is open to the idea of having someone from SPCA to sit on the council committee in charge of animal control.”

It has been alleged that some contractors have been charging several local councils for dogs caught in one area.

“In one case, the council overpaid the contractors RM70,000. After investigations, it was learnt that the dogs were not caught in their area,” said Chin.

She, however, declined to name the local council that was defrauded.

The SPCA representative will monitor and advise the committee on animal rights and welfare. Besides that, the representative will ensure that animals are not illtreated by contractors.

Also, the representative will make sure the guidelines on catching and exterminating stray dogs as set out by the Department of Veterinary Services is followed.

On March 6, Malay Mail highlighted the issue with pictures showing captured dogs placed in vehicles with no cages to separate them as stipulated in the May 2008 Department of Veterinary Services’ (DVS) Guidelines on Catching and Exterminating Stray Dogs.

The three councils said to be practising this method of stray management were Ampang Jaya, Klang and Kajang municipal councils.

In the report, it was also stated that the Klang Municipal Council still used wire to snare strays, which cuts into the throats and bodies of the animals causing a slow and painful death.