Go

Go Back   PetFinder.my > The Animal Corner > Cats & Kittens > Training & Behavioral Issues

Training & Behavioral Issues Does your cat have an attitude, or just simply refuses to listen to you? Share it with your peers here and learn more about a cat's behavior and training methods

Old 02-07-2012, 12:10 AM
Animal Lover

shazshera is on a distinguished road
Unhappy Change of behavior after spayed

My female cat changed her behavior after I spayed her last year. She becomes more aggressive and even pees like a Tom. Is it normal? Not so manja2 like before.
Old 02-07-2012, 07:49 AM
Petfinder Moderator

Maneki Neko is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Change of behavior after spayed

Quote:
Originally Posted by shazshera View Post
My female cat changed her behavior after I spayed her last year. She becomes more aggressive and even pees like a Tom. Is it normal? Not so manja2 like before.
Hi, Shazshera! I think your cat's change in behaviour is not at all normal! When you say she 'pees like a Tom', do you mean she's spraying? That's typically a territorial behaviour. I wonder, do you have other cats in your home? If so, are they spayed/neutered, or intact? Are they having disputes over territory?

The other thing to consider which may be causing both the spraying and the aggression is that your kitty may have a health problem. She's not so manja because she doesn't feel well. Has she been to the clinic since her spay surgery? I think it would be a good idea to take her in and rule out any illness that might be causing these behaviours. Once you know she's in good health, you can start looking at other issues that might be causing them, like conflict between cats, not enough exercise, etc.

Good luck!
Old 03-11-2012, 09:23 PM
Animal Lover

shazshera is on a distinguished road
Smile Re: Change of behavior after spayed

Thanks Maneki Neko. I hv consulted 2 vets, one w/o my cat & the other with my cat. Both agreed it maybe due to hormonal changes after the spaying, whc is unlikely but possible. One vet mentioned he personally heard of one case but then again it is rare. The vet who checked
her said she looks healthy & happy but maybe the trauma after the ops made unsettled. Afterall she was a stray, never been caged (except when she had her kittens) & had to go thru a major ops & hospitalised. Now she seems to be more settled, she has stop spraying & not so garang anymore.
Old 11-18-2012, 12:15 AM
PetFinder Buddy

Kynthia is on a distinguished road

I sent my 8-month-old kitten for spaying last month. Before the surgery, she is usually calm. However, now she is behaving rather hyperactive. Any idea why?
Old 11-26-2012, 01:04 PM
PetFinder Guru

Meffy is on a distinguished road

Is she aggressive or just more active and playful? If she's playful, I think she should be fine. But if she's acting agressive and angry, then maybe you should check with the vet.

I thought my cat would be calm after she was spayed at 6 months (since everyone says that)...but she's already 1+ year old now and she's still hyper. Very sweet & affectionate though
Old 11-28-2012, 07:34 PM
PetFinder Buddy

Kynthia is on a distinguished road

No, she is not aggressive and angry... Just more energetic and hyper than she used to be. For example, she used to just watch my other cat climbing the door, fridge, window etc... Now she climbs them first and higher! Also, she seems to be running into everything, breaking more things than usual around the house these days
Old 11-28-2012, 08:48 PM
Petfinder Moderator

Maneki Neko is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kynthia View Post
No, she is not aggressive and angry... Just more energetic and hyper than she used to be. For example, she used to just watch my other cat climbing the door, fridge, window etc... Now she climbs them first and higher! Also, she seems to be running into everything, breaking more things than usual around the house these days
These are normal, healthy cat behaviours -- REJOICE! If you would prefer to have a lethargic cat, you can adopt any number of strays with infectious diseases that sap their energy. Seriously, this has nothing to do with her being spayed or not. She is a typical, adventurous, predatory cat who is practicing her hunting and climbing skills. Enjoy her! :-)