Go

Go Back   PetFinder.my > PetFinder Lounge > Tech & Computers

Tech & Computers For the tech guy or gal. Find help on your computers and os or other techie stuff.

Old 12-29-2010, 09:51 PM
PetFinder Guru

Marcelleve is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Marcelleve Send a message via Yahoo to Marcelleve Send a message via Skype™ to Marcelleve
Default Re: Kindle & e-Book Reader Review

Hi Andy,

Yes, she loves playing it but she have a dog-like personality. She bite the end of the screen what more if she is a dog. It would be more barbaric!
Thank God she is just a kitten.
She hardly plays her toys except she love to wrestle with her teddy bear and she loves fetching. I used mostly dog toys for her.. sometimes, we are wondering if she is a cat. She hardly uses her claw.
She didn't touch her CATIT toys so i-PAD is really enjoyable for her. But after she bite it, it is done for her. She can't resist the mouse.

HAHA....You are still a non-profit salesman even in PF.

Is amazon using DHL or Fedex? Coz we always shop online and some of our supplements , apparel & toys for pet are coming from overseas currently. Langkawi is tax free zone.

Anyone need anything, chocos, cigarettes or liquor, etc...? Just let me know.

I will be coming to KL after New Year's Eve to adopt kitties and get some pet food and other things for our new kitties. The delivery charges is too much but what to do. There is no Pet shop available and not everything is locally available online.

Thank you again for the help Andy, I will check MPH or in Low Yat's place for e-book reader as well.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyKoh View Post
Hi Eve,

Haha, thanks.. ironically I only seem to "sell" things that I get no benefits out of! A non-profit salesman haha..

Cool.. so your cat actually loves playing with the cat game on iPad? Wonder what happens if I show it to a dog.. then again, I don't think I wanna risk my iPad on a dog yet as it might go crazy and barbaric hehe..

Yes, Kindle can play MP3 songs too, although it's sound quality isn't the best among audio playing devices.. serves more like a value-added feature rather than a main selling point for the device. Yup, the device can only be purchased on Amazon US, unfortunately. Unless you have friends in Thailand, then you can have Amazon ship it there.
Old 12-29-2010, 11:16 PM
Founder, PetFinder.my

AndyKoh has disabled reputation

Hi Eve,

Haha.. your cat sounds like a naughty dog trapped in a kitten's body! Either she has an identity crisis, or she aspires to become a doggy

Amazon uses USPS for international shipping. I haven't used their most expensive international expedited shipping before - I believe that they might tie up with Fedex in that case, to deliver it in Malaysia. Last time I ordered books at standard shipping which takes about 3 weeks, and that is delivered by Pos Malaysia here.

The problem though is that Amazon does not ship some items to Malaysia, i.e. certain electronics, due to export control or warranty issues. That's when 3rd party re-routing services come into play, but you would then have to assume the risk of not having proper warranty / store to go to in the event of faulty hardware, and the possibility of items getting lost in transition.

Hope you'll have great fun in KL, and manage to adopt some lovely kitties back to Langkawi!
Old 12-30-2010, 03:58 AM
PetFinder Guru

Send a message via AIM to Marcelleve Send a message via Yahoo to Marcelleve Send a message via Skype™ to Marcelleve

Hi Andy,

You are right! She is going that identity crises which is I think, natural for her behavior... LOL

Risk is money,too, Andy. It happened to our business already.
We always import our perfume bottles for our home-made perfume shop and since Langkawi is not the main port, we have to go to 3rd party re-routing services and until our goods arrive, mostly our boxes are missing and some of them are shattered to pcs.
I have to look for e-book reader in KL esp. Kindle at least cash n' carry & safe with me.

I am going to adopt BSH and not because of the breed.
I love to help both of my friends, human and the cat.

Amanda, yes, I am the one will be having her after recommendation and knowing the owner as well. She loves her cats both of them but the other one really resented her.

I will post her status here soon. I am glad and do our best to take care of her well even if our new home is not ready yet, she will be fine in the suite for now.

Please let me know if anyone needs anything in Langkawi before January 3.
Pm me.

Thank you again, Andy and everyone in PF.
We met again our 2nd baby here. Our rumah kosong is not kosong anymore with them both.

P/S: I recommend everyone to insured your pets. You will be saving them and your RM's more esp. emergencies and during the 'dry' season when your pets need help at most.

Quote:
Hi Eve,

Haha.. your cat sounds like a naughty dog trapped in a kitten's body! Either she has an identity crisis, or she aspires to become a doggy

Amazon uses USPS for international shipping. I haven't used their most expensive international expedited shipping before - I believe that they might tie up with Fedex in that case, to deliver it in Malaysia. Last time I ordered books at standard shipping which takes about 3 weeks, and that is delivered by Pos Malaysia here.

The problem though is that Amazon does not ship some items to Malaysia, i.e. certain electronics, due to export control or warranty issues. That's when 3rd party re-routing services come into play, but you would then have to assume the risk of not having proper warranty / store to go to in the event of faulty hardware, and the possibility of items getting lost in transition.

Hope you'll have great fun in KL, and manage to adopt some lovely kitties back to Langkawi!
Old 12-30-2010, 08:21 AM
Petfinder Moderator

Maneki Neko is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcelleve View Post
I will check MPH or in Low Yat's place for e-book reader as well.
Hi, Eve --

I've been casually looking at e-book readers all round KL over the past few months. There is very little in Low Yat, surprisingly. I found one shop there that sells the iRiver (about RM1200). So,unless you're going to Low Yat for other things, I'd give it a miss.

The best variety in e-book readers I found was at the MPH Books in Mid Valley Megamall. They can show you both versions of the iRiver (one with keypad, the other with touchscreen), a BenQ, and a HanLin V60. Personally, (and unusually for me ) I liked the least expensive -- the HanLin -- the best. I thought the display was easiest on the eyes. It felt intuitive to use, and I liked the keyboard. I'm a bit nervous about quality, because it's a little known brand made in China. I know that not everything made in China is shoddy, but I can't find much information about this company. And the HanLin V60 is RM900. That still feels like a lot of money for an unfamiliar brand and a device of this type.

The Kindle seems to be of good quality, I like the features, it's getting great reviews, and Amazon's selling it for the equivalent of RM430. As Andy said, Amazon will not ship the Kindles to Malaysia, or to several other countries. I believe it's due to Malaysia's weak copyright laws and history of copyright infringement. Don't get me started on that topic, because I get so angry. Amazon refuses to sell media to us legally, and then they wonder why there is so much bootlegging?!?

I'll be meeting an American friend in Istanbul in a few months, so I'll probably order a Kindle, ask Amazon to ship it to her US address and then ask her to bring it to Turkey when we meet.

It's funny, just the other day I wondered to myself whatever happened with Miwako. So you're adopting her! That's great news. I bet the folks at ManekiNeko Cattery will breathe more easily knowing that. Congratulations! Do I understand you've also adopted a DSH in Langkawi? So is 3 your grand total? I'm looking forward to photos of one and all.

Happy New Year!
Amanda, Maneki & Crumpet
Old 12-30-2010, 12:50 PM
Founder, PetFinder.my

Hi Amanda & Eve,

I think another factor for the lack of reception and exposure of e-readers in Malaysia is due to the general lack of interest in reading here - and now with lots of high tech gadgets, gaming devices and things to distract the younger generation, I think reading is turning into a hobby of yesteryears.

When I visited Taiwan, I saw many large multi-storey bookstores, and they open 24 hours. That signifies the demand and interest of the consumers there. I doubt we'd find many bookstores here that open for more than 12 hours

That's right, Hanlin and iRiver are the ones I was referring to. As you can see, the price is more than the Kindle - because they can get away with such pricing, due to the biggest competitor, Kindle, not being present in Malaysia.

One very important thing to note when choosing eReader - their display contrast. First of all, some inferior eReaders use 8 shades of gray - iRiver happens to be one. This makes reading more strenuous as the words do not outstand as much against the background, and images look uglier. Kindles (and newer immitation eReaders) use 16 shades of gray. Then again, they could still differ in contrast level, as the lightest to darkest shade range might differ. Even within Kindle itself, my older Kindle has a lesser contrast that makes reading a little tiring, although it has 16 gray shades. The newer Kindle is much better, at a 50% improved contrast. You have to really put them side by side or actually read for some time under different lighting conditions to better notice and appreciate it - photos usually don't give an accurate perception of this.

Here's a photo comparison of Kindle 2 & 3 contrast:
http://kindleworld.blogspot.com/2010...of-screen.html

Now, imagine the immitation eReaders with worse contrast and you'll get the feel of it.

Another thing, of lesser importance but contributes to your reading pleasure, is the speed of page turns. iRiver's review states that it takes a whopping 2 or 3 seconds to refresh to a new page, which I think is way unacceptable. Kindle 3 takes maybe half a second to do so. iRiver is also bulkier and needs a stylus pen, which I think is inconvenient and obsolete. Here's the iRiver review:
http://thetechjournal.com/electronic...e-reader.xhtml

Hanlin's specs appear better in comparison to iRiver, but I can't find much literature or review on this product, probably because it's a China product that's not sold in western countries. Its design is very near an immitation to the older Kindle 2.
http://www.mphonline.com/offers/HanlinV60.aspx

These immitation eReaders also do not usually have text-to-speech capability, and neither do they tie up with any online bookstores for convenient purchase or download.

There are some larger competitors in the eReader market, i.e. Sony's PRS models and Barnes & Noble's Nook (not available in Malaysia). These have been compared in detail (lots of literature on the Internet), and Kindle 3 wins out in most reviewers' opinions.

p/s: Amanda, since you have a friend in US, you could actually ask her to DHL or Fedex to you after Amazon ships to her. I believe the cost would be something like RM100+, not far off from using vPost, but you'd get it in 3 - 5 days with a much more reliable and insured delivery service. The cover and Kindle, even if in separate parcels, would add up to less than 1kg in total weight.

Last edited by AndyKoh; 12-30-2010 at 01:15 PM.
Old 12-30-2010, 03:03 PM
PetFinder Guru

Hi Amanda and Andy,

Thank you for the additional info atleast I wont be going to MPH and spend RM 900 for china made.
Yes, it is so true. With our generation of gizmos and gadgets, few would go for e-book reader and even a good old book to read.
I found shops here books for rent and sales person is bewildered when I went in the shop and keep telling me, they are renting books only and not DVD's.

That is maybe an additional factor why Amazon.com can't deliver it to us. Well I have spoken to my close friends in US, not only Kindle is available but I rather go for Kindle at least Andy is experience to use it and they told me Kindle 3 (with wifi) is more better than Kindle DX or Kindle with 3G.
They told me it is so slim. I found the image by Google. Hope Amanda can refer to it.

Yes, Miwako will be at home on 3rd of January. Dr. Huey and her owner were really excited.
And I am currently fostering 2 kitties in our suite.
One is ours but to my friend in KL need to take both. I think these kitties are DLH or DMH mix. I don't know but the mother is pure Persian and made an accident by giving birth.Our friend was totally shock. She thought her cat is neutered and just pure fat for 4 years old cat.
She left it roaming around because her cat only loves to hang out near the beach..her cat loves to eat Ghost crabs and grass. They thought she got stomach ache but instead their cat was giving birth. She didn't know what to do because they are leaving Malaysia already after a few months and there are few kitties left.

Miwako and there is another kitten I would like to take in KL so I can help another friend of mine but still planning to if both of these kitties will be adopted. Our suite can't take a lot of cats until we moved next year and the house renovation is totally done - no paint fumes or cement powder scattered around.

BSH and Persians are not a fan & hardly think of having one but since I am an Animal's no.1 fan, my hubby and I look at them not as by breed but they need us to take care and love them as part of our family since we are childless. Every God creations has a reason to live and to be loved.
A new home with fully furnish and how much does it costs or how beautiful it is but no one to share with is still an empty and can't be called a 'home'... and, it really makes me feel spooky if I am just alone or both us talking and there are echoes in the corridor.

Hope this image helps to those who are wondering what is this brand called ' Kindle ' I love it being slim and don't care the rest of con's as long as I can read or do the reading for me
Click image for larger version

Name:	50860-kindle-38.jpg
Views:	192
Size:	47.4 KB
ID:	10500Name:  50860-kindle-312.jpg
Views: 434
Size:  7.1 KBClick image for larger version

Name:	50860-kindle-39.jpg
Views:	190
Size:	91.3 KB
ID:	10502Click image for larger version

Name:	50860-kindle-310.jpg
Views:	189
Size:	13.9 KB
ID:	10503Click image for larger version

Name:	50860-kindle-35.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	9.6 KB
ID:	10504
Old 01-02-2011, 06:31 AM
PetFinder Guru

Simon is on a distinguished road

Hi All,

I've been deliberating since Christmas whether to treat myself to a Kindle for the new year. I had decided yes, but then I realised that the e-books are at least as expensive, and in most cases more expensive than their paper counter parts. I guess this is the consequence of locking into a proprietary market, but I've read here that there are other routes to these books ;-) Which again is making me reconsider...

Simon.
Old 01-02-2011, 01:44 PM
Founder, PetFinder.my

Hi Simon,

eBooks are almost always slightly cheaper than paper books from what I've seen, maybe 10 - 20%. This is due to the elimination of physical print cost, which typically amounts to that proportion (although many people tend to have the impression that physical print cost constitutes most of the book's cost).

There are numerous eBooks on Amazon that are $9.99, but only because Amazon is forcing the publishers (especially smaller ones at their mercy) to sell at a much lower margin, which many believe is not sustainable. Then again, it all depends on how the market plays out, now with Apple and Google's bookstores becoming major competitors.

And yes, there are certainly other routes to these books. Quick and easily accessible routes via the information superhighway. So whichever e-reader you purchase, you're never limited to the official channels.
Old 01-02-2011, 02:39 PM
PetFinder Guru

Hi Andy,

Thanks! I've taken another look and it seems all the books I wanted were quite new, and the paperback edition had not been released yet, one example is,

http://tinyurl.com/22t6a7n

I guess the price is still cheaper than the hardbacked edition and the e-book price falls to below the paperback price when released!
Old 01-02-2011, 02:52 PM
Founder, PetFinder.my

Hi Simon,

Yes, probably the eBook price will drop further after the paperback has been released, which is usually months or even a year down the road.

That book's hardcover price is $11.55, and the Kindle version at $9.99, about 13% cheaper.

And I just did a quick check, that ebook and also audiobook versions are readily available at other channels too.
Old 01-02-2011, 05:29 PM
PetFinder Guru

Hi Andy,

Thanks. I found this thread on the Amazon forum, they seem quite supportive and provide an interesting insight into the effect price fixing has on sales...

http://tinyurl.com/2vqf6z7
Old 01-03-2011, 12:50 AM
Founder, PetFinder.my

Thanks for sharing the thread, Simon.

I remebered coming across articles where publishers claimed that they were pressured by Amazon to reduce their selling prices. MacMillan also had a price dispute with Amazon last year where some of their books were abruptly pulled from Amazon:
http://www.nytimes.com/2010/01/30/te...azon.html?_r=1

I believe Amazon later succumbed to MacMillan's demands of setting higher prices, because it's a large publisher with strong bargaining power.

In any case, I think ebook prices would definitely be heading for a downward spiral from now, because of the competitive digital market. Most importantly, these online bookstores have granted independent authors and indie publishers an equal playground to effectively tap on the vast market. This would eventually eliminate a lot of middle tiers and distributors from the brick and mortar world, resulting in a lot of cost savings. The same thing happened to the music industry with the introduction of MP3 format and players, and I think the e-Reader would serve as the catalyst for the book industry.

Not to forget that ebooks also help save papers and environment. 99% of my books are collecting cobwebs and wasting storage space now haha, but I am somehow still a bit attached to give them away. Guess part of me is still old-school. But I wouldn't hesitate to delete a finished ebook from my Kindle, knowing well that a copy of it still lies in my PC, and I can always re-download purchased books from Amazon.
Old 01-04-2011, 06:03 AM
Animal Lover

Floondor is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Samsung Galaxy Tab vs. the iPad: Compare For Yourself

Quote:
Hi Amanda!

Yup, I've been using a Kindle for almost a year. In fact, I have 2 Kindles at home, and have been trying to convince Charlene to get one too haha..

To me, iPad and Kindle address two different segments of the market. iPad to me is more for fun and media consumption, while Kindle is for serious book readers. You can never use iPad for any serious reading due to its glaring screen and relatively heavy weight, but it's awesome for reading coloured magazines, and most of all, video, gaming and various applications.

I was originally quite skeptical about a Kindle too, but decided to purchase it nevertheless, and have never regretted owning it. In fact, I haven't bought a real book this year, but have read way, way more than what I did last time.

Here are some PROs, most of the points apply to e-readers in general:

1) First of all, it's price is REALLY affordable - Amazon is selling it for $139 only for its 6" Wifi version, which translates to something like RM450. MPH imitation brands sell more expensive (some were sold at RM1200 but reduced recently).

2) The screen is very crisp, in fact I find the font even smoother than many real books' print. It uses pearl e-ink technology that doesn't have a backlit screen, and so doesn't tire your eyes with glare. It only requires battery power to refresh the screen to a new page, and otherwise the ink stays as-is, so battery consumption is really low and a full charge can easily last 2 - 3 weeks.

3) It has a built-in Oxford dictionary - I find it very convenient to look up definitions as I read, and in fact this is indispensable for me now and I feel inconvenient now when I hold up a real book where I would never get the motivation to pull out a dictionary haha.

4) The weight is very light, about 8 ounces (imitation brands are bulkier), so you would not tire of holding even with one hand, and page turns are intuitively placed at both sides of the screen so you can do it either with your left or right hand.

5) There is a limitless resource of e-books online that you can download and transfer over to your e-book reader, and for Kindle you can also purchase directly from the Amazon store integrated into your Kindle. I actually ended up reading much more as I now have access to cd duplication short runs, instead of having to fork out money to buy every single book, and force myself to finish it even if it's not good since I spend the money on it haha. For Kindle, you can also subscribe to dozens of magazines and newspapers that are delivered to you via Wifi / 3G daily.

6) You can store thousands of books - that makes it really convenient when you move around - you no longer have to limit yourself to one or two bulky books when you travel or commute.

7) Kindle also has text-to-speech, so you can close your eyes and hear out the text if you are tired.

Here are some CONs though:
1) The experience will feel a bit electronic at first, although that seems to have dissapeared after I used it a month and it feels as natural as reading a real book to me now.

2) You don't get to randomly flip a book, the feel of a solid heavy book, or enjoy a nice visual book cover and packaging. Or even the SMELL of a real book and paper. Some old-school readers are pretty much attached to these subtleties.

3) The 6" screen size might be a little small if you are used to reading some hard cover books, although you could potentially adjust the font size and type a little.

4) Kindle is not good at formatting PDF documents especially those with many images, you would likely need to convert it to a Kindle-friendly format to better read it. Not sure about other e-readers though.

I suggest that you go to MPH and try out some of their readers to get a feel of it. Or better still, borrow one from your friend and try reading a book to better assess the experience.

If you do intend to buy one, I'd still suggest Kindle - it's by far the best and most intuitive one I've seen, but the drawback is the slight hassle in getting it over from US. It's also the top selling item and most wished for item on Amazon.

Let me know if you need any further details, I'd be glad to share more with you
Exactly right - the IPAD is just to hard to stare at for long periods of time. I got one and ended up returning it and got the kindle. The kindle is perfect.
Old 01-04-2011, 07:46 AM
Petfinder Moderator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floondor View Post
Exactly right - the IPAD is just to hard to stare at for long periods of time. I got one and ended up returning it and got the kindle. The kindle is perfect.
Hi, Floondor, and thank you for sharing your experience! It's helpful to hear from people who have really used these devices, not only looked at them in shops. :-)
Old 01-04-2011, 01:35 PM
Founder, PetFinder.my

Hi Floondor,

Thanks for sharing your experience with us.

I believe you must be residing in US, thus having the luxury of easily acquiring and returning such devices

For Malaysia, we don't usually get these devices during launch, and the enthusiasts mostly have to resort to the black market at a high price before they are officially released here - i.e. 4 months' wait for iPhone 4, 7 months' wait for iPad, and in the case of Kindles, 3 years and counting.

Any further tips or pointers that you can share with us on using the Kindle?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floondor View Post

Last edited by AndyKoh; 01-04-2011 at 01:40 PM.
Old 01-15-2011, 02:53 PM
Founder, PetFinder.my

Check this out.. Charlene's Kindle has arrived!!

I believe Charlene's spending almost every moment of her waking hours fondling and harassing her Kindle. Let's wait for her to share her experience, once she is able to take her eyes off it and get back to the computer. I think she'd probably never read another ebook on her glaring computer screen again too haha.

Soon we'll have a little Kindle Club going hehe.. with 5 of us here now having Kindles (Charlene, Amanda, Simon, Michelle and me).. who knows, we might even be the "largest" Kindle gang in Malaysia
Old 01-16-2011, 12:32 PM
Petfinder Moderator

blackie007 has disabled reputation

Andy! I have to charge you for lifting my photo off my Facebook! "Fondling and harassing"?!?!

You're right I haven't read an ebook on the computer ever since the Kindle arrived 6 days ago. I'm helping to save so much electricity for the world by not turning on my computer so much these days. I found that I can actually go back to reading without any distraction, like in the old days when I was reading the print books. When I was reading on the computer, I'll have my email & facebook opened as well, so that was a bit of distraction.

I think the Kindle is great, better than iRiver or Hanlin, and other cap X brands which I've tested at Low Yat and Klang Parade. It does't tire the eyes out even after hours of reading. It's lighter than a book (or, in my case, 300 books!) and easy to carry around in my handbag.

The pages turn faster than the others. And only once, while totally absorbed in the book I was reading, did I forget and tried to turn the page like a real book. And also only once did I, after turning the page electronically, forget and look to the 'left page' to see the cover instead of a page. But those were times I was so engrossed in the book that I wouldn't have noticed if a war broke out in front of me. :)

And the speakers quality is not bad, either. I love that I could listen to music while I read all from the same device. :)

The browsing experience isn't that great, though. If I have to surf the net in a cybercafe, I'd rather use my mobile phone than the Kindle. It isn't easy to type a 'book'. It probably might be easier to type if I had removed the Kindle from its cover and held it like my mobile phone, but well, I didn't get the Kindle for browsing! :)
Old 01-16-2011, 01:43 PM
Founder, PetFinder.my

Hi Charlene,

That is right - people nowadays suffer from attention deficit disorder, thanks to computers and mobile devices that distract them with multitasking, games and social networking. Kindle gives you back the focus, since it is good at one and only one thing!

Ya, you'll probably gradually forget that the Kindle is an electronic device after using it for a couple weeks. Now, it actually feels more "natural" and intuitive to me than a real book, which I often get frustrated as my thumb tries to look for the controller to navigate the cursor to words that I wanted to check the definitions for (yeah, I got bad vocab!).

Did you know that the Kindle's browser is labeled as "Experiemental" by Amazon? I think it must be one of the hardest browsers to use - painfully browsing in black & white with it is like eating your rice one grain at a time. Now imagine my Kindle 2, whose browser is many times worse! Then again, like you said, we can always resort to our smartphones to better serve that purpose.

You can try hooking your headphones to the Kindle - the sound quality would likely be better. Most mobile devices' built-in speakers are not that good.

In case you are not aware, you can also download some free games from the Kindle store, mostly word games I think, like Every Word and Shuffled Row.

Enjoy yourself with your new little green friend!
Old 01-16-2011, 02:23 PM
Petfinder Moderator

Quote:
Enjoy yourself with your new little green friend!
Right. Fine. You all enjoy yourselves with your new little friends -- Charlene, Andy, Simon, & all you other people who have Kindles. I shall remain green with envy.

Why?

My Kindle will arrive at KLIA with an American friend exactly 1 hour before I depart from LCCT. In other words, I'll be en route to Indonesia while my Kindle comes to KL.

I know, I know. I've lived very many years without a Kindle. Surely I can survive one more week. But the suspense! It's too much!

Andy, is there any expiration date on the offer to join the first KL Kindle Users' Club?
Old 01-16-2011, 03:27 PM
Founder, PetFinder.my

Aww... how unfortunate and coincidental, timed to such perfection like in the movies!

Then again, knowing AirAsia, your flight might just end up being delayed a few hours, and Prince Kindle might actually somehow appear before Princess Amanda's eyes at the very last moment in a cinematic reunion!

No worries Amanda, our secret Kindle Underground's door is always open for you. Just execute our sacred ritual of pushing your Kindle's power button and chanting "No Kindle, No Life!" will automatically qualify you for our covert fraternity.