Go

Go Back   PetFinder.my > The Animal Corner > Cats & Kittens

Cats & Kittens General information and discussions on taking care of your feline buddy

Old 08-18-2012, 06:28 PM
Animal Lover

nhannahnasir is on a distinguished road
Default HELP! Newbie question on cat food for Persian cat.

Hi. I'm a newbie to the feline-ownership thing. I've always wanted a cat since I was little but was denied having so for years because my mom is allergic.

This being said, I was finally granted my wish last month on my 21st Birthday. My friends bombarded my living room and surprised me with a beautiful orange Persian cat. My parents were shocked speechless.

The cat is 2 years old, female, and used to belong to my best friend's uncle. He (her uncle) apparently owns several fat, fluffy Persians and keeps them on the balcony of his apartment (the balcony is sealed and well equipped, I've heard, but that's another story)

I asked my friend what her uncle fed the cats previously and she thinks it was a combination of IAMS, Friskies, Royal Canin.

Among the three, I found Friskies to be the cheapest so I went ahead and bought it.

When I went to the various pet stores looking for grooming/boarding facilities (for Raya), I was told NOT to feed my cat Friskies at all costs as Friskies was generally cat junk food.

Worried that I had done wrong, I bought samples of Brit Care Rice and Tuna for Long Haired Cats and Cat's Eye cat food per the store's recommendation.

Upon feeding my cat the new food, however, I discovered that she (the cat) became increasingly fatigued and unhappy. She ate her food when necessary, of course, but instead of chasing us happily around the house and following us like a lapdog like she used to, she would lie around in a quiet corner and sleep for more that 3/4 of the day.

She did this for 3 days before we changed back to Friskies (temporarily).

Today, to replace the Friskies, Brit Care, etc., my dad came home with this new, other cat food called ProDiet. It was recommended by ANOTHER petstore in Sri Muda where my dad usually picks up rabbit food.

The cost of ProDiet was about RM12.90 for 1KG, and I'm kind of skeptical about it for two reasons:
1) The pellets look exactly like Friskies,
2) The cost is so damn cheap! No way such cheap food could be associated with good health... right?

Argh. I'm worried for my kitty. When I brought the food home and placed it in a Tupperware, she sniffed it thoroughly before proceeding to eat it from my hand. When I fed her, she seemed super happy, as well. Almost as if I was feeding her her normal Friskies!

Just a second ago she was jumping around fetching golf balls after eating her ProDiet -- so, my question is, is cheap food that makes my cat this happy REALLY a bad thing?

Do you suggest I buy something more expensive, instead?

I'm still a student and because my parents weren't entirely keen on me owning a cat out of the blue in the first place, I don't want to overburden them with super pricey food that costs like RM60 a kilo.

Please help?
Old 08-19-2012, 12:55 AM
PetFinder Guru

Rayquaza17 is on a distinguished road
Default Re: HELP! Newbie question on cat food for Persian cat.

Hi,

Indeed Iams,Prodiet,RC, and friskies isn't that good. But no matter how junk food they are, they contain at least a little nutrition but it isn't much.

Well... you can try out Feline Caviar if you don't mind. It isn't exactly that pricey but it is a reasonable and good food. You can try buying sample pack first if you want :) Or if you want Acana, my nearby petshop sells that 1 kg(pacafica ocean) for Rm 20. You can buy sample and try it out first
Old 08-19-2012, 09:04 AM
Petfinder Moderator

Maneki Neko is on a distinguished road

Hello, and welcome to Petfinder and living with cats!

Regarding cat foods, look at the lists of ingredients. Many of the cheap foods contain corn (also called maize). Corn makes your cat feel full and provides calories, but they are empty calories -- corn provides no nutritional value for your cat.

The more expensive cat foods contain little or no grains, more meat products. Cats are obligate carnivores, meaning that most of their diet must consist of animal products. Many people look at the better-quality cat foods and turn away from them because of the price, but in the long run, they work out to be less expensive. Why? Because your cat is getting better nutritional value, she will eat less. Further, she will poop less, because she is absorbing more of the food, excreting less. Finally, better nutrition will ensure a healthier cat, fewer trips to the vet. The food that Rayquaza17 mentioned, Feline Caviar, is a reasonably priced and acceptable quality dry food.

Also, I strongly encourage you to take your new furkid to the vet for vaccination and spaying (if she is not already spayed). These too will work toward a long, healthy life. Good luck to you & your kitty!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nhannahnasir View Post
Hi. I'm a newbie to the feline-ownership thing. I've always wanted a cat since I was little but was denied having so for years because my mom is allergic.

This being said, I was finally granted my wish last month on my 21st Birthday. My friends bombarded my living room and surprised me with a beautiful orange Persian cat. My parents were shocked speechless.

The cat is 2 years old, female, and used to belong to my best friend's uncle. He (her uncle) apparently owns several fat, fluffy Persians and keeps them on the balcony of his apartment (the balcony is sealed and well equipped, I've heard, but that's another story)

I asked my friend what her uncle fed the cats previously and she thinks it was a combination of IAMS, Friskies, Royal Canin.

Among the three, I found Friskies to be the cheapest so I went ahead and bought it.

When I went to the various pet stores looking for grooming/boarding facilities (for Raya), I was told NOT to feed my cat Friskies at all costs as Friskies was generally cat junk food.

Worried that I had done wrong, I bought samples of Brit Care Rice and Tuna for Long Haired Cats and Cat's Eye cat food per the store's recommendation.

Upon feeding my cat the new food, however, I discovered that she (the cat) became increasingly fatigued and unhappy. She ate her food when necessary, of course, but instead of chasing us happily around the house and following us like a lapdog like she used to, she would lie around in a quiet corner and sleep for more that 3/4 of the day.

She did this for 3 days before we changed back to Friskies (temporarily).

Today, to replace the Friskies, Brit Care, etc., my dad came home with this new, other cat food called ProDiet. It was recommended by ANOTHER petstore in Sri Muda where my dad usually picks up rabbit food.

The cost of ProDiet was about RM12.90 for 1KG, and I'm kind of skeptical about it for two reasons:
1) The pellets look exactly like Friskies,
2) The cost is so damn cheap! No way such cheap food could be associated with good health... right?

Argh. I'm worried for my kitty. When I brought the food home and placed it in a Tupperware, she sniffed it thoroughly before proceeding to eat it from my hand. When I fed her, she seemed super happy, as well. Almost as if I was feeding her her normal Friskies!

Just a second ago she was jumping around fetching golf balls after eating her ProDiet -- so, my question is, is cheap food that makes my cat this happy REALLY a bad thing?

Do you suggest I buy something more expensive, instead?

I'm still a student and because my parents weren't entirely keen on me owning a cat out of the blue in the first place, I don't want to overburden them with super pricey food that costs like RM60 a kilo.

Please help?
Old 08-20-2012, 02:35 AM
Animal Lover

nhannahnasir is on a distinguished road

Thank you so much for your replies, Rayquaza17 (correct me if I'm wrong, but are you a Pokemon fan?) and Maneki Neko.

Acana seems reasonably priced at RM20/kg but does it come in hairball control?

My aunt advised me earlier today that regardless of the pet food, we should make some effort to buy hairball control formula because there might be complications otherwise.

She also mentioned that the ProDiet cat food which we are feeding her is og good quality, but I have yet to check the ingredients (when my dad bought it, they repacked it into another bag as a sample pack). Tried to Google their ingredients for myself but couldn't find much information about it. All I know is that it is apparently Malaysian and, call me paranoid, but I'm skeptical about Malaysian-quality pet food.
Old 08-20-2012, 07:53 AM
Petfinder Moderator

Maneki Neko is on a distinguished road

Hello! For hairballs, many shops sell a pleasantly-flavoured gel. You smear a dab of it on the cat's front leg, and she will lick it off. It contains a mild medication that will treat the hairballs. :-)

Quote:
Thank you so much for your replies, Rayquaza17 (correct me if I'm wrong, but are you a Pokemon fan?) and Maneki Neko.

My aunt advised me earlier today that regardless of the pet food, we should make some effort to buy hairball control formula because there might be complications otherwise.

She also mentioned that the ProDiet cat food which we are feeding her is og good quality, but I have yet to check the ingredients (when my dad bought it, they repacked it into another bag as a sample pack). Tried to Google their ingredients for myself but couldn't find much information about it. All I know is that it is apparently Malaysian and, call me paranoid, but I'm skeptical about Malaysian-quality pet food.
Old 08-20-2012, 10:08 PM
PetFinder Guru

Rayquaza17 is on a distinguished road

Quote:

Yes, I am a Pokemon fan for years and now still is :D To be say least, I am a gamer XD

About the Acana, I am not sure but they re-pack it per kg per kg. Normal shop outside you find 400g for Rm 18++ so I figured that 1 kg for Rm 20 is quite reasonable