Go

Go Back   PetFinder.my > Pet Welfare, Rescue & Adoption > General Discussion

General Discussion General information and discuss on animal rescue, adoption and advocacy

Old 08-07-2009, 07:41 PM
PetFinder Moderator

dog is my buddy has disabled reputation
Default Re: Pulau Ketam Rescue Mission Updates

Long time didn't heard great news. Good to heard the news from you dear. Now still have how many organization still Participants Pulau Ketam Rescue Mission?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrsdolittle View Post
Dear all,

We are happy to inform that 20 out of 34 dogs rescued from Ketam Island had been re homed.

We have 14 more to go... so do come and adopt them.... you may also adopt those not from Ketam Island...

Thanks all for supporting us in any ways. We really appreciate your kind help.

With love...

Sometimes,things in life are out of our control. We just need to accept the fact.
Rocky, Ricky and Rusty is my best friend.
Old 08-08-2009, 02:38 PM
Animal Lover

Dr. Gorman is on a distinguished road
Red face Re: Pulau Ketam Rescue Mission Updates

Warms my heart, Mrs. Dolittle, to hear of the success adopting the dogs. All dogs need love, especially these who have been through so much. I commend all you are continuing to do in socialization, neutering clinics and rehoming these dogs who were so heartlessly discarded.

Thank you for making the weekend start out so wonderfully with this great report.

Kim Gorman
St. Joseph, MO USA
Old 08-08-2009, 03:19 PM
PetFinder Guru

mrsdolittle is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by dog is my buddy View Post
Long time didn't heard great news. Good to heard the news from you dear. Now still have how many organization still Participants Pulau Ketam Rescue Mission?
Hey Buddy...

SPCA is the only organization still participating in the rescuing, neutering and rehoming those poor creatures. We are working hand in hand with DVS and the veterinary students of UPM during the campaign. Thanks to them.

But most of all, a million thanks to the supportive volunteers of SPCA, that includes Andy Koh, Ezer and cute Wei Wei. We were and are still overwhelm by their kind effort.

Thanks again people, you really touch the lives of these poor creature. Love you all...

...THE DAY I KNOW THE MEANING OF TRUE LOVE, LOYALTY, TRUST AND FRIENDSHIP...
...TIGER IN MEMORY...
Old 08-08-2009, 03:25 PM
PetFinder Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr. Gorman View Post
Warms my heart, Mrs. Dolittle, to hear of the success adopting the dogs. All dogs need love, especially these who have been through so much. I commend all you are continuing to do in socialization, neutering clinics and rehoming these dogs who were so heartlessly discarded.

Thank you for making the weekend start out so wonderfully with this great report.

Kim Gorman
St. Joseph, MO USA
Hello Dr.

Thanks to all the people who still believes in SPCA and supportive to our organization (SPCA). This is life, we can't please everybody... its worth the effort to had had worked together as one... A happy ending for the ones which were in miseries.

I am glad you are happy and thank you for your kind words.

...TIGER IN MEMORY...
Old 08-08-2009, 03:29 PM
Founder, PetFinder.my

AndyKoh has disabled reputation

Hi MrsDolittle,

Glad to hear that the rescue and rehoming efforts and progressing excellently. Thanks for the opportunity for us to participate in your recent campaign, we learnt a lot from the trip and enjoyed ourselves.

Keep up the outstanding work!
Old 08-08-2009, 03:53 PM
PetFinder Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyKoh View Post
Hi MrsDolittle,

Glad to hear that the rescue and rehoming efforts and progressing excellently. Thanks for the opportunity for us to participate in your recent campaign, we learnt a lot from the trip and enjoyed ourselves.

Thanks to all of you. Lets all pray and focus for all the dogs and cats to be rehomed AQAP (As Quickly As Possible).

Hope to see all 3 of you again in end September.

...TIGER IN MEMORY...
Old 08-08-2009, 03:55 PM
PetFinder Moderator

dog is my buddy has disabled reputation

We feeling pleasure something regarded SPCA well done the mission rescue and rehoming efforts and progressing excellently.
We proud of you Mrs.MrsDolittle. Please update more information at here. Petfinder.my always support to those people really need help. Also animals.
Right! Andy

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyKoh View Post
Hi MrsDolittle,

Sometimes,things in life are out of our control. We just need to accept the fact.
Rocky, Ricky and Rusty is my best friend.
Old 08-08-2009, 04:26 PM
PetFinder Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by dog is my buddy View Post
We feeling pleasure something regarded SPCA well done the mission rescue and rehoming efforts and progressing excellently.
We proud of you Mrs.MrsDolittle. Please update more information at here. Petfinder.my always support to those people really need help. Also animals.
Right! Andy
Yes dear,

We need more determine people in order to help more animals in this world. They need our help. Hopefully there will be more kind hearted people who will be joining us on the next trip.

...TIGER IN MEMORY...
Old 08-08-2009, 08:16 PM
PetFinder Guru

Location: Seri Kembangan, Selangor (Yeah, we got free water!)
sillylupie is on a distinguished road

Great news!!!! :)

Very pleased to learn of SPCA continuous efforts at Pulau Ketam!!!! Bravo!!!!

sillylupie-shop
http://sillylupie-shop.blogspot.com
Old 08-09-2009, 12:09 PM
PetFinder Guru

melmel is on a distinguished road

SPCA Notice Board

13 Ketam Dogs Find New Home at Bentong Farm

Thirteen of our rescued Pulau Ketam dogs have found a new home with the Lotus Life Liberation Farm in Bentong, Pahang ! Thanks to the unwavering efforts of Dr Chan Kah Yein from AnimalCare, a new animal-rescue group and the big hearts of the founders of LLLF, the dogs will share a new, beautiful home with geese, goats, cows and 25 other dogs!

On the 2nd of August, our vet Dr Joe, volunteer Roli, Dr Chan and her friends made a trip to Bentong, transporting Karishma, Liberty, Piccolo, Piccola, BooBoo, Cuddly and Buddy to their new home. Getting them into the SPCA van was difficult, as the dogs were nervous and frightened. However, after some gentle coaxing by the staff and volunteers of AnimalCare and SPCA Selangor, they were safe in the van and on their way!

Brother Sui of LLLF and his helpers welcomed the entourage, while the resident dogs also curiously sniffed and wagged their tails. The workers and Brother Sui had been busy constructing the enclosure for the dogs, and it was almost completed.

”Once inside the enclosure, the dogs very quickly displayed a change of temperament - they were clearly happy and relieved. The change was almost instantaneous and almost miraculous! Wow...to be able to stretch and walk about was fun!! We put out the vegetarian dog kibbles for them and a few of them ate it up voraciously,” says Dr Chan.

Bro Sui informed us that this enclosure is just a temporary shelter to let the dogs adjust to the new surroundings, and once they have settled down they will be free to roam the grounds like the other resident dogs – what bliss and happiness shall fill their hearts!

“This is a beautiful place, with such positive energy. The dogs will definitely be happy here,” comments Dr Joe.

The team was also treated to a feast of durians from the orchard, and before leaving went back to say good-bye to the dogs. All of them appeared to have calmed down, and wagged their tails when they saw Roli coming. We’re excited about our next trip with AnimalCare to the farm on the 13th of August, when another 6 dogs will be relocated in the wide, green, grassy paradise for animals!

Visit http://www.myanimalcare.org/ to view more photos and stories ! >>

Would You Like To Support These Dogs?

We welcome food donations of rice and dog kibbles (strictly vegetarian only) for the dogs at the LLLF. If you would like to help with the upkeep of the dogs, kindly send your contributions to the SPCA Selangor Animal Shelter by 12th July 2009. We will transport the food to the LLLF during our next trip on the 13th of July. After that, we will be coordinating with the suppliers to deliver directly to the farm on a monthly basis. For enquiries, please drop us a line at enquiries@spca.org.my ! We all can play a part in these dogs ‘happily-ever-after’, every bit counts!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Terry & Cotton Go Home – Together!

AnimalCare volunteer Lilian and her friend Samantha visited the SPCA Animal Shelter on the 2nd of August to meet our dogs and puppies for adoption, as well as our rescued Ketam dogs. Much to our delight, Samantha and her family returned the next day and adopted Terry, Cotton and another dog from the SPCA Animal Shelter. Many thanks to this wonderful family for opening their hearts and home to our dogs, and taking them into a new, exciting chapter in their lives! Other Ketam dogs like Mr Miracle, Kourtney, Wowow, Fifi, and Lucky have found great homes too, which leaves only another 13 Pulau Ketam dogs to be rehomed !
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Ketam 90.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	38.2 KB
ID:	6971   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ketam 91.jpg
Size:	36.6 KB
ID:	6972   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ketam 92.jpg
Views:	72
Size:	61.4 KB
ID:	6973   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ketam 93.jpg
Views:	69
Size:	72.9 KB
ID:	6974  
Old 08-10-2009, 02:26 PM
PetFinder Guru

Dear all,

We would like to thank all for the kind support towards our humble organization throughout the rescue and neutering mission of the Ketam Island Dogs.

We have managed to rehome 22 of them and 12 more on the waiting list.

13 of the Ketam Dogs found a heavenly place in LLLF Bentong and being fed with vegetarian food. Its beautiful. The people are kind enough to accept those nervous, traumatize and unfriendly Ketam dogs to their sanctuary. The first 7 were sent last week and are doing really well. Therefore should anyone of you would like to donate vege kibbles, rice, eggs, potato, carrots, vege oil and food bowls to this sanctuary, kindly proceed to our MARCOM Office before 12th August 2009. We are moving to the sanctuary on the 13th this week at 8am. We are doing this in return of their kindness. SPCA is supporting the century for the next 12 months until further notice. We must also look into the animal shelter matters as well.

We are going there at our own expenses and will be helping to wash the dogs with tick bath and SPCA is sending one of the vets for medical attention as well(i.e. vaccination, de worming etc.).

Thanks to all... Kindly reply to my e-mail: annbanlow@gmail.com or call me at 016 9018727.

FOR THE ANIMALS
shahrul @ mrsdolittle

...TIGER IN MEMORY...

Last edited by mrsdolittle; 08-10-2009 at 06:05 PM.
Old 08-11-2009, 01:47 PM
PetFinder Guru

Good news all,

All Ketam Dogs are being adopted!!!!!!!

One has to be with us in the MARCOM office for a close medical attention... Heidi. She has kidney and liver failure and recovering... Hurrah!!!

So all is well... THANK GOODNESS... now we can sleep well... time to focus more on the shelter animals... lets help them people...

...TIGER IN MEMORY...
Old 08-11-2009, 02:22 PM
PetFinder Guru

AnimaCare Notice Board
The 2nd Klinik Kembiri on Pulau Ketam (25th July 2009)

It's been a long and fruitful day! We went down to Pulau Ketam today, to help out in the 2nd Klinik Kembiri organised by SPCA.
PAWS
sent a team of volunteers too. And there was even a team of dog handlers who came to put up a obedience show for the Ketam folks.

I was really excited when we were allowed to go into the surgery area to help out with preparation of the animals for surgery. We were shown exactly what to do, and this involved shaving the animal and using two different chemicals to sterilise the surgical area. There was a proper sequence to follow, though. However, after doing a cat and a dog, I felt like fainting - the fumes from the chemicals used to sterilise the surgical area were simply too strong for me. I actually had to go lie down on the floor to avert a fainting spell!

So I volunteered to help out at recovery instead. Over here, the animals have to be massaged vigorously (to make them come to quicker). It takes about 20-30 minutes of a good rubdown (all over) before the animal comes to, and is able to turn and sit up on its chest. Then, it can be transferred to the cage for further recovery on its own.

My first case was Zorro, a beautiful orange-coloured cat. Zorro happened to be a slow recovery case, and I was near panic when he had not shown any signs of coming to after almost 30 minutes. I kept checking his breathing....and praying. "Please, please get up, Zorro, please get up!"

He finally did, just before the vet was about to administer the recovery fluid (for difficult cases). Phew!

Later, we did two big dogs and some more cats. One cat actually had to have the recovery fluid administered (another difficult case). While we were doing all this, some of the vet assistants joked that perhaps the animals purposely slept on because the massage was just oh-so-comfortable (yes, like a typical Thai massage)!

Three of the Hai Tao Foundation staff came with us to do a video production of today's operation and also a footage of Pulau Ketam.

Just before we left, one owner decided he did not want his pet anymore after being spayed. Poor little thing. So we had to bring her back with us to the mainland. She was a one-year old mongrel, sweeter than honey. If we had insisted that the owner take her, goodness knows what her fate would have been. It was better (for her, and us!) to bring her back.
Such is the fate of animals, folks. Even pets. Your owner can decide to dump you anytime... Isn't it just so, so sad?

Chinkah said his neighbour was looking for a dog, so he volunteered to foster her and hopes that his neighbour would take over after recovery.

So we brought Mulan (that's what I called her) in a box, trolley-ed her to the jetty and sweet-talked the boat driver into letting us take her across inside the boat.

Mulan is big, and she could not walk because of the surgery, so the entire process of transporting her involved physically carrying her as well. Phew! Luckily I've carried my children (from birth till 6-7 years old) for many years so carrying her wasn't such a big problem after all (all mothers have very strong arms). But still, it did leave me panting!

Mulan was so well-behaved on the boat. She was quiet and slept most of the way. So did I!

Another volunteer also brought back a tiny little puppy who looked like a Rottweiler. She (I think she is female?) was also abandoned by her owner who had brought her to the community hall and said she did not want her anymore. The tiny puppy will be fostered, and hopefully someone will adopt her. Who knows? She MIGHT turn out to be a Rottweiler, after all (I'm just guessing, of course). Any takers?

I'm so tired, but happy. It was a good day. All in, about 20 animals were spayed and neutered. That's not just 20 lives saved, but hundreds of unwanted future births prevented.Rejoice, folks!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Ketam 94.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	22.5 KB
ID:	6993  

Last edited by melmel; 08-11-2009 at 02:27 PM.
Old 09-25-2009, 11:15 AM
PetFinder Guru

SPCA Notice Board[

Farm Opens Doors To More Ketam Dogs!

On Wednesday, our team of staff and volunteers helped to move 11 more dogs to the Lotus Life Liberation Farm in Bentong – 8 of our Pulau Ketam rescue dogs and 3 last-chance shelter dogs!

The trip was enjoyable as always, with the earlier batches of dogs running up to greet the team happily. The dogs have put on weight, and are much more comfortable around people after spending several weeks on the farm. The team delivered more supplies of rice, trays of eggs, potatoes, and carrots. They also brought cans of antiseptic spray for the dogs and other animals at the farm. Dr Joe was also on hand to assess the health of the dogs. Two weeks ago our two vets and vet assistant also visited the farm to give the dogs health checks, medicating and treating them wherever necessary.

The workers at the farm had built another wooden holding pen for the dogs, for them to slowly re-adjust to their surroundings before being allowed to roam freely on the grounds. The dogs seem to love the security of their pens, and the two precious batches seem to prefer hanging out in the pens rather than roaming in the vast grounds even though their pens have since been left open!

We are very grateful to the farm management, who have been very kind, patient and supportive of our cause. We also thank the very kind people who have written in their words of support, and who have even made trips to the farm to visit the animals and donate food supplies. Bless your warm hearts!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	pix.jpg
Size:	27.4 KB
ID:	7388  
Old 09-25-2009, 02:28 PM
PetFinder Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by melmel View Post
SPCA Notice Board[

Farm Opens Doors To More Ketam Dogs!

On Wednesday, our team of staff and volunteers helped to move 11 more dogs to the Lotus Life Liberation Farm in Bentong – 8 of our Pulau Ketam rescue dogs and 3 last-chance shelter dogs!

The trip was enjoyable as always, with the earlier batches of dogs running up to greet the team happily. The dogs have put on weight, and are much more comfortable around people after spending several weeks on the farm. The team delivered more supplies of rice, trays of eggs, potatoes, and carrots. They also brought cans of antiseptic spray for the dogs and other animals at the farm. Dr Joe was also on hand to assess the health of the dogs. Two weeks ago our two vets and vet assistant also visited the farm to give the dogs health checks, medicating and treating them wherever necessary.

The workers at the farm had built another wooden holding pen for the dogs, for them to slowly re-adjust to their surroundings before being allowed to roam freely on the grounds. The dogs seem to love the security of their pens, and the two precious batches seem to prefer hanging out in the pens rather than roaming in the vast grounds even though their pens have since been left open!

We are very grateful to the farm management, who have been very kind, patient and supportive of our cause. We also thank the very kind people who have written in their words of support, and who have even made trips to the farm to visit the animals and donate food supplies. Bless your warm hearts!
Yo! Melmel,

Thanks for updating our news in PF. Ok, more good news for animal lovers who are against euthanasia, mid October, SPCA is sending 12 more last / no chance dog to the beautiful place: Lotus Life Liberation Farm (LLLF) in Bentong. SPCA will continue sending monthly vet(s) services for all the animals and food supplies for the dogs sent there.

Before i go on and on... i would take this opportunity to thank DR CHAN KAH YIN for discovering the farm for these poor animals. Thanks again Dr Chan. May God bless you and may all you do turn successful.

Right.... this is what we need, more places to send our no / last chance animals so, their lives can be spared... .

With this we could stop all euthanasia... unless we chose not to help them... the choice is in our hand...

...TIGER IN MEMORY...
Old 09-25-2009, 03:42 PM
PetFinder Guru

Shahrul,
how r u ? send my regards 2 ET

ET wil get my ang pow during CNY next yr, wakaka

hvn't talk 2 Chelvy yet on d cage issue, wil try 2 cal 2morow

2morow w/b going 2 KK to look for 2 lost strays , of course wil bail tem out if tey r in d pound, any message 2 Krisnan ?

all d best in spca jumbo sales tis Sun, I'll c u on d 4/10/09 Sun in spca in conjuction wi d world animal day celebration

happy wkend
Old 09-25-2009, 03:56 PM
PetFinder Guru

Quote:
Shahrul,
how r u ? send my regards 2 ET

ET wil get my ang pow during CNY next yr, wakaka

hvn't talk 2 Chelvy yet on d cage issue, wil try 2 cal 2morow

2morow w/b going 2 KK to look for 2 lost strays , of course wil bail tem out if tey r in d pound, any message 2 Krisnan ?

all d best in spca jumbo sales tis Sun, I'll c u on d 4/10/09 Sun in spca in conjuction wi d world animal day celebration

happy wkend
ET aka KENIT is doing very well. She is now a good friend of Scooby Girl. Jack Jack seems to like her a lot, but he is too big for her to play with, she is so tiny... my first small breed (takutnyeeeeee)... i need to be really careful... haven't got the opportunity to talk to Chelvy yet... could u please check with Krishnan about my puppies... they are ready to be neutered... 6 months now. 2 female and 1 male...

Thanks girl...

...TIGER IN MEMORY...
Old 09-25-2009, 04:14 PM
PetFinder Guru

I tot Dr P wil neuter tem ? anyway, ur cal, wil check wi KK 2morow
Old 09-25-2009, 04:17 PM
PetFinder Guru

Quote:
I tot Dr P wil neuter tem ? anyway, ur cal, wil check wi KK 2morow
Either waysss... haven't got the opportunity to tell her... line not clear... ET due for last vaccination ka?

...TIGER IN MEMORY...
Old 09-26-2009, 12:17 PM
PetFinder Guru

Location: Seri Kembangan, Selangor (Yeah, we got free water!)
sillylupie is on a distinguished road

Great news on PK doggies! :)
What sort of vegetarian dog foods do they feed on? Any particular brand?

sillylupie-shop
http://sillylupie-shop.blogspot.com