Go

Go Back   PetFinder.my > The Animal Corner > Cats & Kittens > Health, Disease & Diet

Health, Disease & Diet Find out the best tips and practices on managing your cat's diet, health care, and issues with diseases from our community of animal lovers

Old 02-09-2011, 09:16 AM
PetFinder Buddy

irenelance is on a distinguished road
Default i need help from all of u guys!!! urgent

i've recently got a DLH kitty from a friend..shes very active a week ago..she drinks lotsa water but eat very little..i try 4 different kibbles and now i'm giving her wetfood..then i discover she's got fleas so brought her to the vet n turned out she's got ear mites, 2 kinds of fleas and one of those fleas actually put worms inside her..i guess her previous home is not so hygenic..so the vet deflead n dewormed, sprayed her wif frontline n gave me antibiotics n one more meds to increase her appetite..but now she seems very weak n refuse to eat..not even the wetfood..she shows a lil bit interest in human food like chicken n jacob biscuit..she also doesnt want to play, sleeps a lot n drinks water from the bathroom..i also have problem giving her the meds since shes pretty fierce when i try to put the syringe inside her mouth..my questions are :

1. is it ok to give human food?
2. is it ok if she drinks water from the bathroom?
3. is there any ways to give her the meds..cuz i really x smpai hati la nk shove the meds down her throat
4. can y'all give me some advice on taking care this kitty cuz i really love her n dont want her to get hurt

so pls..help me.thanks in advance
Old 02-09-2011, 11:41 AM
Animal Lover

pojisoh is on a distinguished road
Default Re: i need help from all of u guys!!! urgent

1. try boil chicken breast well-cooked with water only. Shred it into small pieces. Try use fork and spoon because with my cats, they didn't like it when i use my fingers. Give her a few from time to time depend on her respond to the food. human food is NOT ok because nutrient needed for cat is different from human.

2. it's ok as long as the water is clean. my cats do that too but i suggest you put a bowl of water next to the water that she likes to drink. if she likes it, place the bowl just outside the bathroom and gradually change the location where she likes to sit.

3. use syringe is much easier than to put a pill in the cat throat but first, try to calm the cat and make her comfortable with you at the side (try to do this in a small room/bathroom). From the back, gently grab her head with the thumb and another finger could hold her jaw. Quickly but gently turn her head up. Use the syringe from the side (not the front) and push down the liquid in. it's hard yes but by time both her and you will get use to it. you could use this method too while giving the pill but try to put it down to the throat and avoid her tongue. rub bottom of her neck and you know she swallowed the pill when she lick her mouth.

4. There's a lot of discussions on how to take care the cat here. Few searches would do. Usually cat need some moment to get use with the new environment. Be patience and rest assure as it pay off later.
Old 02-09-2011, 12:58 PM
Gentle Giant

Coony is on a distinguished road

If you have gone to the vet, just give what the vet had prescribed for your cat. Shud you have problem on how to feed medication to your cat go back to the vet for assistance. I recommend you give AD Diet to your cat now, if he is not feeding on his own force feed him with a syringe. If the cat is not eating it will only make him weaker by the day.

Best Maine Coon Cattery in CFA ID Asia/LA since 2004
The only Maine Coon cattery with 3 DM, 3 Top Ten MCO National & produce the most GC/GP (30) & DW (12) in CFA ID Asia/LA
Old 02-09-2011, 01:02 PM
PetFinder Buddy

thanks so much pojisoh for the advice..really appreciate it..i think i know what i did wrong..i put the syringe in front not from the side n it caused the meds to flow out a lot! i just managed to give her 0.1 (the correct dose is 0.5)..hopefully tonite i'll do it right..n i will follow ur advice on the meals n water..

one last question..she used to sleep in her sleeping box..but now she sleeps inside her litter box which worries me bcoz her condition might get so much worst if there's bacteria in the litter box that we're not aware of (from the urine/poopoo)..this is surely not normal right?
Old 02-09-2011, 01:05 PM
PetFinder Buddy

thanks coony for the advice..i will try to give her boiled chicken breast as she shows a bit interest to eat them..but will search for AD Diet after shes better..hopefully shes much better today
Old 02-09-2011, 01:22 PM
Gentle Giant

Coony is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by irenelance View Post
thanks coony for the advice..i will try to give her boiled chicken breast as she shows a bit interest to eat them..but will search for AD Diet after shes better..hopefully shes much better today
You shud be giving AD now & not after she is better, the reason for AD is becoz it's more digestable & with higher nutrient so that your cat can get absorb the nutrient from it.

Best Maine Coon Cattery in CFA ID Asia/LA since 2004
The only Maine Coon cattery with 3 DM, 3 Top Ten MCO National & produce the most GC/GP (30) & DW (12) in CFA ID Asia/LA
Old 02-09-2011, 01:50 PM
PetFinder Buddy

i see..then i'm gonna get it straight away..thanks so much 4 all the advice..i'm now studying the cat behavioral forum to better understand cats :)
Old 02-11-2011, 12:25 PM
PetFinder Buddy

i'm so down today..my kitty's got admitted yesterday coz of the infectious virus..it must be from the previous home..the previous owner has lost 2 of the kitties too which i suspected due to the same virus..this virus is highly infectious n can be passed with only a single touch..and can live up to a year even the cats/ kittens have already gone..

since my kitty is still a small girl..there's only slightly chance that she may pull thru..so i really really hope she can fight the virus n come home to us..its very devastating as i just got her a week ago n i love her so much it hurts..

so my tasks for the weekend is to sanitize my entire house wif clorox and to ensure the virus is 100% gone b4 mimiey come home..hopefully she'll pul thru..

have anyone of ya guys encountered this kinda problems? coz this is my first time..n i dont really know what to expect..oh me so sad
Old 02-11-2011, 02:49 PM
Animal Lover

pojisoh is on a distinguished road

sorry to hear about your kitty. pray she will get better soon. anyway could you share what type of virus?
Old 02-11-2011, 04:18 PM
PetFinder Buddy

dear pojisoh..i'm not sure what kind of virus is infecting mimiey..yesterday the vet told me she'd like to keep her for observation for 48 hours..but once i got home the vet called me n said that mimiey vomitted n looks bad..she's worried n did some tests..and its highly positive that mmiey is infected wif the virus..

and then she said she'll put mimiey on iv drip and wants to monitor her for 5-6 days..she told me i shud pray coz based on her experience and that mimiey is still so little..she might not have much chance..ohhh sooooo saaaddddd

i'll plan to visit her today to ask the vet what kind of virus is she having n hows she doin..God help her i hope she'll fight for her life..thanks for ur concern..will share the details later...
Old 02-17-2011, 01:22 PM
PetFinder Buddy

***just thought i should share this wif ya guys***

this is the virus that infected my dear mimiey..may she rests in peace..she died on 15/2/2011 8.47pm..she survived the first 4 days under vet observation but when she i took her back she's not doin really well bcoz of other stuff like swollen frontleg, ear infections(thanks to the irresponsible vet!) and still so weak from the virus..i kept her comfy and put her in my arms all the time to support her..not long after that she died in her sleep..

Feline Parvo
"Feline parvo (also called panleukopenia, feline distemper or FPV) is a vaccine-preventable infectious disease. The disease is resistant to many commonly used disinfectants and is unrelated to canine distemper. There is no treatment for this disease with veterinary focus on minimizing the impact of the symptoms."

Parvo in cats is different than the parvo virus that dogs get. It is actually a virus called panleukopenia, but is sometimes called feline parvo because the symptoms are similar to the symptoms of canine parvo virus. It is highly contagious and cats should be vaccinated as kittens and have booster shots every year.
Cats may be contagious 2–3 days before showing any symptoms. The virus is spread through bodily fluids and contact with feces. A cat can spread the disease to other cats 2–6 weeks post-recovery.

Feline Parvo Symptoms
Some older cats do not have severe symptoms, but younger, un-vaccinated cats can become severely ill. Cat parvo symptoms can be fatal.
Symptoms of cat parvo include:

- high fever
- severe vomiting
- diarrhea
- anorexia
- lethargy
- seizures
- sudden death if severe

Diarrhea is usually yellow in color, foul smelling, and often bloody. Dehydration and shock may result. Symptoms usually come on very suddenly.

If your cat has symptoms of feline parvo, she needs to go to the vet right away.

Feline Parvo Diagnosis
Your veterinarian will take a full medical history including the vaccination record. It is possible that kittens that have had a vaccination still get the disease since it might not have taken hold. The reason is that kittens have some antibodies that are transfered from the mother which prevent vaccinations from sometimes working.
Your vet will perform a complete physical examination. He or she will feel her abdomen to see if her lymph nodes are enlarged and if her intestines feel thick. He or she will also be checking to see if her abdomen is painful to the touch.

Your vet will also do some blood tests called a Parvo ELISA SNAP test. Inaccurate results are possible with this test. Panleukopenia means a decrease in white blood cells. Your vet will be checking your cat’s white blood cell count and also checking for a low platelet count (the components of blood that help it to clot).

Your veterinarian will also look for inflammation of the small intestine (segmental enteritis) since it is one of the symptoms of Panleukopenia.

There are tests that can detect cat parvo in feces and urine, but these are expensive tests and are usually performed in research settings and not in a vet’s office.

Feline Pravo Treatment
There is no cure for feline parvo. That’s why it’s so important to get your cat vaccinated. If your cat survives the first five days of the illness, chances are she will survive. Full recovery may take several weeks, however.
Treatment involves mainly supportive care. Fluids must be given by IV or subcutaneously (under the skin) to counteract dehydration. Medication will be given to stop the vomiting (anti-emetics) and diarrhea (anti-motility drugs). Anti-convulsive medication will be given if your cat is having seizures. Antibiotics may be given to prevent a secondary bacterial infection from developing.

The environment of a cat with feline parvo should be considered infected. Food dishes, toys, cages, floors, and other items must be disinfected with bleach and water. Use half a cup of bleach to one gallon of water. Bedding and soft items should be washed in hot water.

Cat Vaccine for Parvo and Distemper
All cats should be vaccinated starting at age 4-6 weeks including injured and mildly ill kittens. Kittens under 16 weeks should receive boosters every two weeks if in a high risk environment such as a shelter. Check with your veterinarian if your cat has already been diagnosed with panleukopenia. There is no risk to the kittens when vaccinating pregnant cats who have preexisting immunity from prior vaccination or exposure. the risk of fetal damage only exists in cats (called a queen or a cat that is ready to mate) that have never been exposed to panleukopenia or vaccinated.
Sources
Feline Panleukopenia
S. Newbury
Koret Shelter Medicine Program
Center for Companion Animal Health, University of California
Panleukopenia
Nash, Holly DVM

www.sniksnak.com Animal Wellness Magazine
Old 02-17-2011, 05:43 PM
PetFinder Buddy

milocute is on a distinguished road

Dear Irene,

Sorry to hear about your baby. I had the same experience like you twice. My dear Tom went to heaven last year because of panleukopenia. It so sudden & by the time I reached to vet nothing can be done. after two days my dear Sakura suddenly failed to show up in front of sliding door for me every time I come home from work which she never fail to do for 3 years. I'm so worried and when Sakura start to vommit saliva, without any delay I started my car and go the vet. Luckily there's a vet open even though it's almost 8pm. my Sakura survived after going through such critical moments. Doc said most probably she got infected from Tom.
Old 02-17-2011, 09:11 PM
Petfinder Moderator

Maneki Neko is on a distinguished road

Irene, I'm so sorry about Mimiey. May she rest in peace!

I think she was just a small kitten, yes? Too young to be vaccinated.

For people with kittens and cats older than 6-8 weeks, however, I want to highlight one line in the article that Irene posted:

Quote:
There is no cure for feline parvo. That’s why it’s so important to get your cat vaccinated.
This is a very basic and inexpensive vaccine for cats. If you love your cats, and they are 2 months old or more, please -- Take them to the clinic for their vaccinations!
Old 02-17-2011, 09:36 PM
Rescue & Foster

CT YEOH is on a distinguished road

Sorry to hear the kitten did not make it. I faced this 2 years back. There were 3 stray kittens at my front. After few weeks, I managed to trap them and sent to the private vet for check up. At that time, I do not know much about cats (I am a dog person). The results were fine. What the vet fail to inform me is the vaccination, thinking I will not spent money on the strays. Because of the vet, 1 died needlessly. I managed to save the other 2.
Old 02-17-2011, 11:48 PM
PetFinder Buddy

thanks guys..yes i admit i am new to this going to the vet-vaccine-dewormed thing..previously all the cats under my care are healthy..but with mimiey i decided to take extra care by doing some research, getting her all the care she needed only its too late for me to realize that she had the virus..she was very active until one moment she just so weak..

yes she's very young about 2 months old when i took her..and as compared to her siblings she's got weaker immune system..i think all the meds are too much for her body to handle..just after she's deflead and dewormed, she's too weak to even walk around..she just slept on my laps all night long..but i'm a bit relieved that she didnt suffer long..

at least now i know and i can take precautions b4 anythin bad happen to my next kitty (will find kitties after i'm better..still in a grieving state)

it is very important to get ur cats dewormed n vaccinated as soon as possible to prevent all this awful diseases n viruses..u'll never know what's around us n our cats..wish me the best guys