Go

Go Back   PetFinder.my > The Animal Corner > Cats & Kittens > Health, Disease & Diet

Health, Disease & Diet Find out the best tips and practices on managing your cat's diet, health care, and issues with diseases from our community of animal lovers

Old 12-03-2010, 09:47 AM
was a cat before

azmyrax is on a distinguished road
Default Hernia - post-operation

Dear all,

I would like to share some photos of Eskimo after his surgery. I took Eskimo to KJVC last sunday to get him neutered and also to fix his hernia. Friendly team from KJVC: Dr. Intan, En. Hadzwan and Joe have been taking extra care for my baby - THANK YOU! . Dr. Intan said the small intestine has gone out through the hole on Eskimo's belly button. She also removed some of the fat tissue that sticked to the intestine (cat liposuction?! ). She said Eskimo was bleeding quite a lot during the operation. I took him home after four days at the clinic. He looks a bit skinny compared to what he used to be.

If you have any advice on diets, caring for recovering cats, please share with me. Thank you!

Here are some photos of Eskimo after the surgery.

Resting. sad face

The stitches will be removed on 9th December 2010

He's never been in a cage before so he's kinda angry about it. He tried to open the cage door so you can see his nose are all scratched. Any tips?
He's also very angry that he flips his food bowl and water bowl when he cannot see anyone near his cage. I NEED TO BE THERE ALL THE TIME or else he will scream and flip everything upside down
Old 12-03-2010, 11:16 AM
Animal Lover

crazykat is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Hernia - post-operation

Hi Azmyrax,

Give him supplements, Nutriplus would be good.
Also if your cat is stressed at the vet, bring along ur tshirt or socks or whatever that smells of you to comfort him while there.
If you have to cage him at home while recuperating, you could also play soft instrumental music to help him relax.
My cats love Kenny G and they doze off during thunderstorms.
Hope this helps. You can email me as I'm into animal therapy.
Old 12-03-2010, 02:56 PM
PetFinder Guru

rozzygee is on a distinguished road

am not good in this.. am sure KJVC doctors have given u some tips on how to care Eskimo after surgery. I've read few articles on this. Most articles pointed out on how to treat constipation. Maybe this is the area that you should be more alert - like giving him a high fiber diet? Did the doctors provide anything to reduce or diminish swelling on the surgical site?

For his cage phobia, u may place him in a room instead of a cage. I used to do that to 1 of my cat who have the same prob.
Old 12-03-2010, 04:54 PM
was a cat before

azmyrax is on a distinguished road

Thank you Crazykat,
but my cat is deaf
i put my t-shirt in the cage and he slept on it very peacefully. but when he wakes up, he started to scream when he sees no ones around

Kak Rozzygee,
Doc said cannot let him walk around, need to put in confined space because he cannot move too much or else will injure his newly stitched hernia
Old 12-03-2010, 09:08 PM
Petfinder Moderator

Maneki Neko is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by azmyrax View Post
Thank you Crazykat,
but my cat is deaf
i put my t-shirt in the cage and he slept on it very peacefully. but when he wakes up, he started to scream when he sees no ones around
Hi, Azmyrax -- I'm glad that Eskimo's hernia is repaired but sorry that he is so stressed.

It sounds like Crazykat's t-shirt suggestion worked really well. I also like the suggestion to use soothing music, but I have to admit -- in my case, if I had to listen to a Kenny G CD, I'd rather be deaf like Eskimo! (Sorry, Crazykat... :-)

I've never used any of these products, but a PF member (Naddy) recently wrote about a bunch of natural calming agents for cats. They seem to be things you could get at pet supply shops, or maybe your vet knows something about them. She said they calmed her cats down during travel -- maybe they could help Eskimo during his recovery? Her post was here: http://forums.petfinder.my/showthrea...highlight=Bach

Wishing Eskimo a quick and easy recovery!
Old 12-06-2010, 11:41 AM
Animal Lover

crazykat is on a distinguished road

so sorry to hear that ur cat is deaf, it's no wonder that he's stressed. A cat relies very much on smell and sound. Glad that ur "smell" helped him relax. Another holistic remedy is Bach Rescue remedy. U put a few drops on his tongue to help him relax. I'll help u search for the product, my neighbour said that she got hers from Bangsar.