Go

Go Back   PetFinder.my > Pet Welfare, Rescue & Adoption > Animal Protection Laws & Rights

Animal Protection Laws & Rights Discuss on the enacted animal protection laws and how to better protect their rights

Old 03-02-2009, 04:02 PM
PetFinder Guru

lynielime is on a distinguished road
Default California's Spay & Neuter Law

Forummers, this is what we need in malaysia!! Check out the state of California's ground-breaking spay/neuter law.

Taken from:
http://www.laanimalservices.com/spayneuterlaw.htm

http://www.laanimalservices.com/spay...0(8-16-08).pdf

SPAY/NEUTER REQUIRED
FOR CATS AND DOGS IN LOS ANGELES CITY*
Grace Period Ends October 1, 2008
*With some Special Exemptions
HISTORY IS MADE IN THE CITY OF ANGELS
On February 12, 2008, the City Council of Los Angeles gave final approval to a new law that requires all cats and dogs in the City to be spayed or neutered after the age of four months, with some specific exemptions allowed. The Mayor signed this ordinance on February 26, 2008, making Los Angeles the national leader in efforts to humanely decrease the number of pets abandoned and euthanized each year.
WHY SPAY/NEUTER IS GOOD FOR OUR CITY
Spaying and Neutering are humane and life affirming means of ending euthanasia of healthy, adoptable pets. The new law will move Los Angeles towards being the most humane city in America by educating pet owners to be more responsible, making our streets safer, reducing the number of animals killed each year in our animal care centers, and allowing us to more effectively use our resources. The spay/neuter law will be a tool for Animal Services to hold accountable those pet owners whose irresponsibility threatens public safety and fills our animal care centers with unwanted dogs and cats.
WHY SPAY/NEUTER IS GOOD FOR OUR PETS
�� Spaying and neutering are safe, simple surgeries that prevent animals from reproducing. Females are spayed; males are neutered.
�� One unneutered male can impregnate dozens of females. Therefore, it is just as important to neuter males as it is to spay females. Accidents happen when you least expect them.
�� Spaying and neutering reduces or eliminates the risk of certain types of cancer that can kill your pet or be expensive to treat.
�� Spaying and neutering may eliminate undesirable behaviors such as fighting, spraying, and roaming.
KEY FACTS ABOUT THE NEW SPAY/NEUTER LAW
�� Effective in April, but there is a grace period until October 1, 2008.
�� Applies to all dogs and cats over four months of age, unless exempted. (See reverse.)
�� Violations are subject to three levels of increasing fines, starting at $100, to urge compliance.
�� After the third violation, non-compliance is a misdemeanor.
�� City Council will appoint members to an Animal Services Spay/Neuter Advisory Committee that is established to advise the Department, the Council, and the Mayor, about the impact of the City’s spay/neuter policies on low income residents as well as effective implementation of the ordinance.
�� Exemptions are listed on the reverse.
Visit our website at www.laanimalservices.com for more information.
Spay/Neuter Required for Cats and Dogs in Los Angeles City* Grace Period Ends October 1, 2008 — Page 2
EXEMPTIONS TO THE SPAY/NEUTER REQUIREMENT
A dog or cat must be spayed or neuter after four months of age unless he or she:
�� Is a breed approved by and registered with a registry or association approved by the Animal Services Commission, and does or will actively show or compete.
�� Has earned or is in the process of earning a special title (i.e. agility, herding).
�� Is used as or in training to be a guide, signal, or service dog.
�� Is a dog trained, or in training, for use in law enforcement, military or rescue activities.
�� Has a letter from a licensed veterinarian certifying that the animal should be temporarily or permanently deferred due to age or health.
�� Has a valid breeding permit issued to the owner pursuant to existing City ordinance.
Additionally, all intact dogs must have an intact dog license from the City.
Old 03-02-2009, 04:26 PM
Petfinder Moderator

blackie007 has disabled reputation
Default Re: California's Spay & Neuter Law

it's one thing to pass a law, but quite another to enforce. how to make sure the pet owners do what they should do? even though dog license is required, there are many dog owners who don't have a license for their dogs.

the devil is in the enforcement, i think.
Old 03-02-2009, 04:37 PM
PetFinder Guru

hmm... i'm not sure how they will go about enforcing the law but i think its a great step in the right direction. check out the website!

http://www.laanimalservices.com/spayneuterlaw.htm

it's even got a section about the myths of spaying and neutering. great resource!!
Old 03-02-2009, 04:52 PM
Pets Are NOT Disposable

FurKids is on a distinguished road

Of course it is in the right direction and you do not need to convince us forumers, Lynette, because this is not breaking news to us at all.

It is the government, local authorities and the housing residents association committee members that you have to address and hammer it all into their thick elephant skulls.

And if you succeed, Lynie, the burden of our many, many tired and pokai pet rescuers will be greatly relieved because many are actually already doing it on their own out of their own pocket $$$, time and other resources.

Go, Lynette, go!!!!!
"We organized in the past to make Trap-Neuter-Return possible. Today, we organize to make Trap-Neuter-Return the norm and to end the unnecessary killing of cats in animal shelters across the country and provide humane care." - Alley Cat Allies
Old 03-02-2009, 04:57 PM
Petfinder Moderator

aiyoh, furkids, lynie is just sharing the info with us only mah, why use such a tone with her.
Old 03-02-2009, 05:02 PM
PetFinder Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by FurKids View Post
Of course it is in the right direction and you do not need to convince us forumers, Lynette, because this is not breaking news to us at all.

It is the government, local authorities and the housing residents association committee members that you have to address and hammer it all into their thick elephant skulls.

And if you succeed, Lynie, the burden of our many, many tired and pokai pet rescuers will be greatly relieved because many are actually already doing it on their own out of their own pocket $$$, time and other resources.

Go, Lynette, go!!!!!
actually furkids, a lot of forumers do need convincing. the regulars such as yourself are familiar with this issue and already enforce it with your own pets. however, there are still tons of people here, in petfinder, that DO NOT NEUTER THEIR PETS.

i don't know how many times i have seen people putting up threads such as "looking for gf for my cat" or "wanna breed my dog" and blah blah blah... i even get people trying to adopt my foster animals and asking why do they have to neuter the animal?

i don't know about you, but for me, all this ignorance is really really irritating.
Old 03-02-2009, 05:09 PM
Petfinder Moderator

i agree. i have also read threads where they encourage one another to let their male cats out into the street to look for females because their males are on heat and very noisy. they said let them go out on the streets and relieve themselves, or something to that effect.

but lynie, those are forumers who firmly believe "nature should be left alone", so no matter what the law or research says (if it's implemented), it'll just be barking at the tree.

and it is with this in mind that i wonder how it can be enforced, because i'm sure there are similar people overseas, too. short of going door to door to check (think of the manpower involved! ), i really can't figure out how they can enforce it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynielime View Post
actually furkids, a lot of forumers do need convincing. the regulars such as yourself are familiar with this issue and already enforce it with your own pets. however, there are still tons of people here, in petfinder, that DO NOT NEUTER THEIR PETS.

i don't know how many times i have seen people putting up threads such as "looking for gf for my cat" or "wanna breed my dog" and blah blah blah... i even get people trying to adopt my foster animals and asking why do they have to neuter the animal?

i don't know about you, but for me, all this ignorance is really really irritating.
Old 03-02-2009, 05:14 PM
PetFinder Guru

let me check and see if there's anything on the net about how they enforce it..
Old 03-02-2009, 05:24 PM
Petfinder Moderator

thanks.

Quote:
let me check and see if there's anything on the net about how they enforce it..
Old 03-03-2009, 03:55 PM
Pets Are NOT Disposable

Quote:

Yea lah, Lynette, you memang right about this group and feeling rightly so. But sometimes, it is not out of pure ignorance but self-centredness and vainity and they plain don't really care for the animal, they just treat it like a cute teddy bear.

And then they go producing hundreds of kittens and cats in the neighbourhood which are taken and dumped to another place (streets/longkangs) either by themselves or irate neighbours who find the cats a nuisance because of the so-called owners' lack of responsibility.

And the cats that are produced explosively in the neighbourhood are starved, beaten or dumped. For those not dumped, sympathetic animal caregivers find it very difficult to feed them. We feed them in an attempt to befriend them so that we can tangkap them for TNR. But short-sighted and hostile neighbours insist on starving them to death to make them go away or disappear. Right now I am not in very good mood because baru had an exchange with a neighbour who believes the animals should be starved to death!
"We organized in the past to make Trap-Neuter-Return possible. Today, we organize to make Trap-Neuter-Return the norm and to end the unnecessary killing of cats in animal shelters across the country and provide humane care." - Alley Cat Allies

Last edited by AndyKoh; 03-05-2009 at 01:52 AM.
Old 03-03-2009, 04:12 PM
Pets Are NOT Disposable

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackie007 View Post
i agree. i have also read threads where they encourage one another to let their male cats out into the street to look for females because their males are on heat and very noisy. they said let them go out on the streets and relieve themselves, or something to that effect.

but lynie, those are forumers who firmly believe "nature should be left alone", so no matter what the law or research says (if it's implemented), it'll just be barking at the tree.

and it is with this in mind that i wonder how it can be enforced, because i'm sure there are similar people overseas, too. short of going door to door to check (think of the manpower involved! ), i really can't figure out how they can enforce it.
Hahhahaaaaa!!!! Blackie, so these are the very same people that feel that it is alright to rape any woman in sight instead of controlling themselves and then blame it on the woman, kan? Any woman is available and out for grabs kan? Same mentality la ....
Old 03-03-2009, 04:20 PM
Petfinder Moderator

yup, same mentality. these people are causing kittens to be produced faster than we can find homes for. i think i remember i read somewhere the staggering amount of kittens that a mother cat and her litter can produce in a year. it's something like over 200,000, right?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FurKids View Post
Hahhahaaaaa!!!! Blackie, so these are the very same people that feel that it is alright to rape any woman in sight instead of controlling themselves and then blame it on the woman, kan? Any woman is available and out for grabs kan? Same mentality la ....
Old 03-03-2009, 04:20 PM
PetFinder Guru

meira is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to meira

err i havent neuter my male cat yet.i plan to neuter him next month because this month is my female cate's turn.my budget is fix so need take turn.but the good news is, my male cat scares with outside world.
Old 03-03-2009, 05:03 PM
PetFinder Guru

ok furkids and blackie..
we're all friends here k and i know that we do what we can. please let's not argue anymore. i'm just glad that we agree on the importance of spaying and neutering to reduce the population and prevent future suffering.. you are both right about the general mentality toward neutering in malaysia..

i see beautiful strays all the time in my neighborhood and we know where they came from.. people with pedigree pets letting their pets breed indiscriminately and then they dump the kittens!!!!!!
Old 03-03-2009, 05:04 PM
PetFinder Guru

actually i'm happy that we all feel so strongly about this!! to the point that tempers flare
Old 03-03-2009, 05:21 PM
PetFinder Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackie007 View Post
it's one thing to pass a law, but quite another to enforce. how to make sure the pet owners do what they should do? even though dog license is required, there are many dog owners who don't have a license for their dogs.

the devil is in the enforcement, i think.
ahhhh you're right.. all the articles i've read say the law is difficult to enforce. its basically the responsiblity of the pet owner to obey the law

but one thing that i liked is that animal control authorities that go around picking up dogs and cats wandering around have a right to neuter/spay those animals whether they have collars and licenses or not. so if your pet is wandering around and its not been fixed, the authorities can and will fix it before contacting owners
Old 03-04-2009, 09:40 AM
PetFinder Guru

please stop arguing you guys.. you're making personal attacks against each other.. you're not even debating about the topic. there is no reason to criticize each other k. please no more personal attacks. let's just accept that everyone is different and they express themselves in different ways too.

i thought you would find this interesting. gertrude maxwell, a florida state senator came up with an interesting way to involve government with shelter and other ngos.

http://www.animallawcoalition.com/pu...rs/article/405

Gertrude Maxwell Finds a Creative Solution to Encourage Spay/Neuter

Update May 5, 2008: Gertrude Maxwell's dream has come true. Her bill has passed the Florida state legislature, and Governor Charlie Crist is expected to sign it.

The bill creates a non-profit agency within the state Department of Agriculture to raise money that will be funneled to shelters and animal welfare organizations for spay/neuter and other programs to reduce the need for euthanasia.

For more on this bill, read Animal Law Coalition's earlier report below.

Original report: Gertrude Maxwell, 96, has persisted with a plan, a dream really, to reduce numbers of unwanted pets and euthanasia rates.

Her plan is now a bill before the Florida legislature. H.B. 219/S.B. 1994, the Gertrude Maxwell Save a Pet Act.

In fact, today the House bill has passed the Agribusiness Committee and is now before the Environment & Natural Resources Council. Under this bill the state Department of Agriculture will create a non-profit called the Gertrude Maxwell Save A Pet Direct Support Organization.

The non-profit will be under contract to the Dept. The Dept. will appoint the Board of Directors for the non-profit which can include Dept. employees and will also likely include representatives of humane societies and other animal welfare organizations, animal control and other officials. The Dept will manage the contract and approve the non-profit's articles of incorporation and bylaws and its budget. The Dept. will audit the non-profit annually.

The non-profit, though, will receive funding only through fundraising from businesses, foundations and other organizations, individuals and estates. Ms. Maxwell will provide the funding herself for the first year.

Basically, the non-profit will provide money for "preventing animal cruelty, assisting pet overpopulation management, providing grants to animal shelters for spaying and neutering, and reducing the need for euthanasia of animals."

The non-profit will be able to use the facilities, property and personnel services of the Dept.

It's a way to bring animal welfare advocates, public shelters, animal control and state officials together to solve this problem, to stop the killing. Citizens donating funds to a state managed non-profit that is required to send the money to shelters for spay/neuter and for programs to reduce overpopulation, euthanasia and cruelty. A community effort.

The Gertrude Maxwell Save a Pet Act is sponsored by Rep. Carl Domino. Sen. Jeff Atwater is co-sponsor.

Ms. Maxwell goal is to reduce the high euthanasia rate in Florida. 800,000 dogs and cats are euthanized in Florida each year.

She also makes the point spay/neuter costs between $20 and $70 per animal. It costs $100 to impound, shelter, care for and euthanize an animal.

It is hoped with funds available for spay/neuter program at Florida shelters, there will be fewer animals, less euthanasia and cruelty, and thus less animal control cost.

Click here for a copy of the bill.

WHAT YOU CAN DO TO HELP PASS THIS BILL AND STOP THE KILLING

The Senate version has not yet been assigned to a committee, but you can click here to contact members of the House Environment & Natural Resources Council and urge them to vote yes on H.B. 219 to stop the killing and save costs.

If you live in Florida, click here to find your representative, write or call and urge him or her to help get H.B. 219 out of committee and before the full House for a vote on H.B. 219. Urge your Florida representative to vote yes on H.B. 219.
Old 03-04-2009, 09:41 AM
PetFinder Guru

darn it posted the article twice and get rid of this one..
Old 03-04-2009, 11:00 AM
PetFinder Guru

peace my friends..

lets focus on what we have in common instead of our minor differences.

1. we love our pets
2. we love all animals and respect life
3. we want a better future for animals in malaysia
4. animal welfare is a priority for all of us
5. we have tempers!!!!!!!! but we should save that for those who do harm.

okie dokey? no more mention of each other. you know what let's just not add to this thread k. what needs to be said has been said
Old 03-04-2009, 11:06 AM
Pets Are NOT Disposable

Quote:
ahhhh you're right.. all the articles i've read say the law is difficult to enforce. its basically the responsiblity of the pet owner to obey the law

but one thing that i liked is that animal control authorities that go around picking up dogs and cats wandering around have a right to neuter/spay those animals whether they have collars and licenses or not. so if your pet is wandering around and its not been fixed, the authorities can and will fix it before contacting owners
Over here, the animal control authorities also go round picking up dogs and cats wandering around whether they have collars and licenses or not. So the first half of the effort memang dah tercapai lah ...

However, instead of spay/neuter, they snap their necks or dunk them in the pool till they die.

So, considering this, how easy or difficult is it to implement what they do luar negeri over here? Do you think our citizens are going go beserk and mount a protest over the different more humane method of animal population control? How much process change needed? $$$ is definitely saved because spay/neuter puts some $$ back into the taxpayers' pockets. I'll go ask my 5 year old nephew whether it makes sense.....