Go

Go Back   PetFinder.my > PetFinder Lounge > Tech & Computers

Tech & Computers For the tech guy or gal. Find help on your computers and os or other techie stuff.

Old 01-17-2011, 02:18 PM
PetFinder Guru

Marcelleve is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Marcelleve Send a message via Yahoo to Marcelleve Send a message via Skype™ to Marcelleve
Default Re: Kindle & e-Book Reader Review

Hi Andy,

I want to join Kindle club as well.
My Kindle will arrive in 2 weeks time.

I don't have extra time nowadays after I got my extra kitties and new staffs .
I hardly online these past few weeks.
I'm not only saving earth from global warming - electric and paper consumption but also my time and energy.
It is just practical to have Prince Kindle around.

Thank you very much for the review and good marketing, Andy.

Best Regards to everyone,
Eve
Old 01-17-2011, 02:54 PM
Founder, PetFinder.my

AndyKoh has disabled reputation

That's great, Eve! How are you shipping the Kindle over after you bought it on Amazon?

Ah.. that's nice, we should definitely all become energy- and environment-friendly, at least until we have more energy that is generated from renewal sources instead of the polluting carbon!

Don't forget to share your experience with us once you get your little new toy!
Old 01-17-2011, 11:22 PM
PetFinder Guru

Send a message via AIM to Marcelleve Send a message via Yahoo to Marcelleve Send a message via Skype™ to Marcelleve
Smile Re: Kindle & e-Book Reader Review

Absolutely, Andy. I will share it with you and everyone.

My friend in US bought it for me together with hers.
She will be coming over within 2 weeks time - more safer and cost saving, too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyKoh View Post
That's great, Eve! How are you shipping the Kindle over after you bought it on Amazon?

Ah.. that's nice, we should definitely all become energy- and environment-friendly, at least until we have more energy that is generated from renewal sources instead of the polluting carbon!

Don't forget to share your experience with us once you get your little new toy!
Old 01-18-2011, 12:16 AM
Founder, PetFinder.my

I'm jealous... how come every one of you guys have someone to buy and bring it over for you?

Charlene had Simon buy from UK, Amanda and you have your American friends, and Michelle had her cousin!

Now I know... the next time I wanna get a new gadget, I'll hound you guys to help me hahaha
Old 01-18-2011, 08:03 AM
Petfinder Moderator

Maneki Neko is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcelleve View Post
My friend in US bought it for me together with hers.
She will be coming over within 2 weeks time - more safer and cost saving, too.
Congratulations, Eve!

So I'll ask the same question that everyone has asked me: Did you also order a cover? Which one, lah?

I have the sense that in the Petfinder Covert Kindle Club, the cover is effectively your avatar. Charlene is perky, bright and classy (apple green leather), Simon is elegant and dignified (black leather), and I'm rugged, outdoorsy and weird (zippered purple nylon). Andy has yet to disclose his Kindle cover personality, and I've not yet met Michelle.

On a more serious note, and please forgive me if you already know this, but ask your friend to carry the Kindles in her hand luggage. KLIA has acknowledged that they've had problems with theft from checked bags, and one of my friends had an iPad disappear from his checked bag on a flight from New York to KL. He was MOST unhappy about it.

Best wishes to you & the 3 kitties!
Old 01-18-2011, 03:20 PM
Founder, PetFinder.my

Ah, I think Amazon makes a little money from the cover to compensate for the highly discounted Kindle... considering that the cover is some 30% of the Kindle's price, and I believe almost all people would buy a cover, whether they really need it or not (like me, who just read at home 99% of the time without a cover).

Oh, mine is a black one, just like Simon. Elegant and dignified, as you aptly describe it. Yours appear to be the most unique and functional one.. so you shall be our mascot of the covert club.

Yes, it's a good practice to never leave any valuables in the luggage, especially not electronics. I've heard lots of horror stories from friends, and mine have been broken into as well once but nothing was taken as I only had dirty, smelly clothes in it haha.
Old 01-19-2011, 07:50 PM
PetFinder Guru

Thank you, Amanda.

I went back home from NY to KLIA last few years ago and in fact, you are correct!
I bought PSP for my sister and lost it inside my bag! After the incident less than a year, I also lost my lingerie bag on the way to Cairo from KLIA. They must have been guessed the bag had money or laptop inside.
Well, I think it is a norm thing for long flights.

My close friend knew I love pink, red & black. Either one of those is fine with me. I love bling2x so maybe I will pimped it out in KL.

Best wishes to you and your furry babies as well!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maneki Neko View Post
Congratulations, Eve!

So I'll ask the same question that everyone has asked me: Did you also order a cover? Which one, lah?

I have the sense that in the Petfinder Covert Kindle Club, the cover is effectively your avatar. Charlene is perky, bright and classy (apple green leather), Simon is elegant and dignified (black leather), and I'm rugged, outdoorsy and weird (zippered purple nylon). Andy has yet to disclose his Kindle cover personality, and I've not yet met Michelle.

On a more serious note, and please forgive me if you already know this, but ask your friend to carry the Kindles in her hand luggage. KLIA has acknowledged that they've had problems with theft from checked bags, and one of my friends had an iPad disappear from his checked bag on a flight from New York to KL. He was MOST unhappy about it.

Best wishes to you & the 3 kitties!
Old 02-13-2011, 05:42 PM
PetFinder Guru

Hey guys!

I come across a website which I found in one of Lowyat forum.
They are selling e-book readers & accessories.

http://moresales.com.my/browse.shtml...%20Accessories

Please let me know if anyone tried to order on this link.

My Kindle's arriving soon. I got the M-edge cover with jacket which looked like this but I really prefer red or pink which is out of stock.
If she comes without it then I settle with black color.
Click image for larger version

Name:	AK2_L1_C_R--rear-med.jpg
Views:	346
Size:	20.7 KB
ID:	10691Click image for larger version

Name:	AK2_L1_C_R--detail08-med.jpg
Views:	348
Size:	29.5 KB
ID:	10692Click image for larger version

Name:	jacket.jpg
Views:	347
Size:	18.9 KB
ID:	10693Click image for larger version

Name:	AK2_Z1_C_R--03-med.jpg
Views:	340
Size:	32.8 KB
ID:	10694
Old 02-13-2011, 09:05 PM
The Shih Tzu Heiress

shizuka is on a distinguished road

Looks awesome to me.
But anyway Iphone now come with with Ebook App, I read the story books until my eyes cannot read anymore.dawg.
Old 02-13-2011, 09:31 PM
Petfinder Moderator

Quote:
Hey guys!

My Kindle's arriving soon. I got the M-edge cover with jacket which looked like this but I really prefer red or pink which is out of stock.
If she comes without it then I settle with black color.
Attachment 10691Attachment 10692Attachment 10693Attachment 10694
Hi, Eve!

I ordered this same cover but in purple. As I said before, it's not as elegant as Andy's or Charlene's leather covers, but I like that a) it's nylon and possibly somewhat waterproof on days when I forget my umbrella, and b) it zips entirely shut, protecting the Kindle from blowing clouds of cat fur and sharp objects in my handbag.

I had to laugh when I read that you wanted it in pink. A book-worm friend and I always used to roll our eyes and shake our heads -- it seems we read nothing but depressing literature. We always say to each other, "Really, the very next book I read will have a pink cover!" All the chick-lit -- you know, the books in which the girl always gets her man and the credit card has no limit -- seems to have pink covers. The next time we'd meet for coffee, she'd be reading something about WWII internment camps and I'd be reading about genocide. So much for chick-lit.

I looked at my Kindle cover and wondered, what was I thinking?!? If I'd ordered either the M-Edge or leather cover in HOT PINK, every book I read would have a pink cover. When/if this cover wears out, I'll replace it with something bright pink to disguise all my dreary books. :-)

I'm really enjoying reading on the Kindle. I hope yours arrives soon!
Old 02-13-2011, 10:06 PM
PetFinder Guru

@ Shizuka =
Kindle wont hurt ur eyes because the display is different than i-Phone, i-Pad and other e-book reader out there.
It is like reading a newspaper and unless you got tired, Kindle can do the reading for you.

@ Maneki Neko
Ur not the only one. I read about true stories. I am chic who got 501 Most notorious crime in one hand and every one was looking at me because of the cover behind was the big image of the famous incest father from Austria who locked his daughter under the grounds of their own home to rape her and bear children.

I love to read true crime stories and mysterious stuffs - yep include UFO hehehe.

I appreciate my Kindle arrives at least no one will give me a weirdo look every time I flipped pages after they poked their noses ,with a disbelief sigh, seeing gruel images from victims.

Yes, definitely we have to look at the brighter side, chick- lit while reading gruel crimes or genocides hahaha

My friend really suggested this cover coz of my cats and since I like to read on the beach side, not a bad idea, in case it rains too.

I really can't wait to get my hands on my Kindle. I will download some of my fave books since kid, I can't get tired of reading it.
Remember Hardy Boys and Nancy Drew? I also like Edgar Allan Poe's and Sherlock Homes for fiction. I still love to read it over and over again.
I remember my science teacher in HS, threw her class record at me because I was busy reading Nancy Drew that time when she called up my name several times. hahahaha

Quote:
Originally Posted by shizuka View Post
Looks awesome to me.
But anyway Iphone now come with with Ebook App, I read the story books until my eyes cannot read anymore.dawg.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maneki Neko View Post
Hi, Eve!

I ordered this same cover but in purple. As I said before, it's not as elegant as Andy's or Charlene's leather covers, but I like that a) it's nylon and possibly somewhat waterproof on days when I forget my umbrella, and b) it zips entirely shut, protecting the Kindle from blowing clouds of cat fur and sharp objects in my handbag.

I had to laugh when I read that you wanted it in pink. A book-worm friend and I always used to roll our eyes and shake our heads -- it seems we read nothing but depressing literature. We always say to each other, "Really, the very next book I read will have a pink cover!" All the chick-lit -- you know, the books in which the girl always gets her man and the credit card has no limit -- seems to have pink covers. The next time we'd meet for coffee, she'd be reading something about WWII internment camps and I'd be reading about genocide. So much for chick-lit.

I looked at my Kindle cover and wondered, what was I thinking?!? If I'd ordered either the M-Edge or leather cover in HOT PINK, every book I read would have a pink cover. When/if this cover wears out, I'll replace it with something bright pink to disguise all my dreary books. :-)

I'm really enjoying reading on the Kindle. I hope yours arrives soon!

Last edited by Marcelleve; 02-13-2011 at 10:15 PM.
Old 02-22-2011, 02:48 AM
PetFinder Guru

Lightbulb Re: Kindle & e-Book Reader Review

Hi Y'all,

Due to my friend's work in the news field, she will be sending my Kindle through Fedex to Pulau Langkawi with insurance from her company's agency.

So if there' anyone need to order Kindle, kindly let me know.
She can only send 3 more Kindles or else the shipping/handling costs will be higher.
She gave me the price costs of USD 468.00 = RM 1,420.00 for my Kindle include shipping/handing costs.

But I only ask for RM 1,000 each Kindle, free of POS or I hand-carry to you as well, no problem... it is only for pet finder friends and members who are interested.

I don't get anything from it.
I am pet lovers as well that loves to read.

My Kindle will arrive on March 14 so if you need to order, please let me know.

Any requests from US other than Kindle, gadgets/gizmos, I will ask her to give the best price 'coz she will be using her own credit card.

Thank you very much.

Best Regards,
Eve

Last edited by Marcelleve; 02-22-2011 at 02:54 AM.
Old 03-31-2011, 01:46 PM
Founder, PetFinder.my

Hi Eve,

How's your Kindle reading coming along?

Here's another of our PetFinder.my gang, Michelle, who recently got her Kindle.. check out her nicely written blog and photos!

http://cazzycazz.blogspot.com/2011/0...-kindle-3.html
Old 03-31-2011, 08:25 PM
PetFinder Guru

Hi Andy,

Sorry been busy with business and kitties... I really got excited with my hands on it. My friend said she rather have Nook because of the sharing capability but the battery life of Kindle 3 and its screen is more better than Nook. It is really like reading book pages.

I hardly got online now, whenever I have free time in the shop just turning on my Kindle and my hubby enjoyed reading there too but he's into multimedia features more.

When will the Kindle club will start?

I think Kindle is best for people who loves reading and people who are into research/study - makes it easier. I simply love the display, bookmark and can search one word through Wikipedia/Dictionaries/Thesaurus feature.
It is really worth to buy!
But people who loves multimedia rather than reading will not appreciate Kindle.

Thank you very much.

Best Regards,
Eve
Old 04-01-2011, 01:33 PM
Founder, PetFinder.my

Hi Eve,

Yes, Nook's new design is nice too, although it is bulkier (50% heavier than Kindle) and US$10 more expensive for the same range. Kindle 3's screen is the best around for the moment I think, 'cause they improved the contrast by 50%, and have 16 gray shades (some e-Readers still use 8 shades only!).

Right, Kindle is for heavy / serious readers, those that have previously enjoyed a real book. For those that prefer multimedia or colours, then iPad would be best for consuming such materials, i.e. magazines and videos.

I can't live without the dictionary too - I keep checking words as I read. I never do that when reading a real book - too lazy to keep a big bulky dictionary next to me haha. My improvement in vocabulary can definitely be attributed to this device

Will you happen to be in KL on the week of Apr 23 & 24? If so, do pay us a visit at our 3rd anniversary event ya!
Old 04-02-2011, 03:21 AM
PetFinder Guru

Yes, that's why I fell in love with Kindle's screen, bookmark and when turning on next page or any familiar subject that I use the search where I read that particular subject from - very helpful indeed....I learned new deep words, old unheard-of places and even people.
Well, my friend still using her Kindle than her Nook, she's having problem with glaring at the screen in well-lit room/bright sunny day. LOL waste of money for one feature (sharing e-books), she regret that!

I'm into serial, notorious crimes and unsolved mysteries - some war histories and invention that was used to torture humans (criminal or innocent) and why it started in the 1st place.
Woman is the 1st serial killer wooow... unbeatable 600 over killings and torture.
History of witches and nursery rhymes todays was actually an enchantment etc....hehehe... that's why I got into deep reading nowadays.

I will try to go to the anniversary as long as I have staffs by then.
*wishlist* I've been wanting to meet you all.hehehe.

Quote:
Hi Eve,

Yes, Nook's new design is nice too, although it is bulkier (50% heavier than Kindle) and US$10 more expensive for the same range. Kindle 3's screen is the best around for the moment I think, 'cause they improved the contrast by 50%, and have 16 gray shades (some e-Readers still use 8 shades only!).

Right, Kindle is for heavy / serious readers, those that have previously enjoyed a real book. For those that prefer multimedia or colours, then iPad would be best for consuming such materials, i.e. magazines and videos.

I can't live without the dictionary too - I keep checking words as I read. I never do that when reading a real book - too lazy to keep a big bulky dictionary next to me haha. My improvement in vocabulary can definitely be attributed to this device

Will you happen to be in KL on the week of Apr 23 & 24? If so, do pay us a visit at our 3rd anniversary event ya!
Old 04-02-2011, 01:26 PM
Petfinder Moderator

Talking Re: Kindle & e-Book Reader Review

Quote:
I'm into serial, notorious crimes and unsolved mysteries - some war histories and invention that was used to torture humans (criminal or innocent) and why it started in the 1st place.
Woman is the 1st serial killer wooow... unbeatable 600 over killings and torture.

I will try to go to the anniversary as long as I have staffs by then.

Hmmm. Let's look at this situation:

1. Marcelleve loves books about torture and women serial killers.
2. Marcelleve mentions that she is having staff problems and staff shortages.

Is there any connection between these two things???

Will we be reading the tale of the female serial killer/torturer from Langkawi on our Kindles in a few years?

"It was the strangest thing," said the detective in charge of the investigation. "Her staff died horrible deaths, but her cats were pampered beyond belief!"

Old 04-02-2011, 01:43 PM
Founder, PetFinder.my

Hi Eve,

Yes, I heard that some readers had some screen glaring issues, including Sony's eReader (not sure if they've fixed it though).. the problem with us here is that we don't get to test them out first due to the scarcity or almost non-existence of good e-Readers, so the best we can do is conduct some thorough research on online reviews first.

Sounds like you have some pretty exciting reads going on eh.. if only you were a serial abuser like what Amanda said, then you could go around hunting down all the animal abusers... the masked superwoman that saves animals around Malaysia from evil owners!

Hi Amanda,

How's your Kindle experience so far, managed to get lots of books on it? Did Charlene share all the eBook sources with you Thanks for your Trivia questions, I'm working on extending them with some PetFinder/event-related questions too, to help raise some awareness.
Old 04-02-2011, 03:50 PM
Petfinder Moderator

Quote:
Hi Amanda,

How's your Kindle experience so far, managed to get lots of books on it? Did Charlene share all the eBook sources with you Thanks for your Trivia questions, I'm working on extending them with some PetFinder/event-related questions too, to help raise some awareness.
Hi Andy --

I'm LOVING my Kindle! I'm reading more than ever before, and I -- like you and Michelle -- am making good use of the on-line dictionary. I've been keeping my on-line reading journal in a blog, Bookface. (Not to be confused with that social networking web site, which I confess I've just never found a good use for...) The reading journal is at http://mukabukubuku.blogspot.com/.

I think the PF event later this month is looking like a huge success already, and I am feeling very sorry that I won't be able to be there. :-(

Cheers,
A.
Old 04-02-2011, 04:38 PM
Founder, PetFinder.my

Hi Amanda,

Your reading blog is really well written with juicy details of each book.. seems like you enjoy both reading and writing a lot eh And a cool satirical name for the blog's name hahaha... I'll be following your blog now and getting more ideas on reading materials!

I'm still trying hard to promote the event.. media publicity is a bit hard to come by with my lack of contacts haha. Hope we can generate as much publicity as possible. I just hope we can raise a good sum of funds during the event.. Whatever the outcome, we've all tried our best and will learn from this experience!

No worries, I know you are very busy. You have already been a great help consistently managing the forum, and your great trivias too.