Go

Go Back   PetFinder.my > Pet Welfare, Rescue & Adoption > General Discussion

General Discussion General information and discuss on animal rescue, adoption and advocacy

Closed Thread

Old 03-20-2009, 11:37 AM
Pets Are NOT Disposable

FurKids is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Letter from an Animal Shelter Manager - the sad truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by khengteik View Post
memalufyingkan........
I like this word ...
Quote:
Everyone can say that i'm just all talk but no work.... if that is the case, why do they need back benchers in the Parliment? There is even a backbenchers club somewhere around.. Btw... as i've mentioned earlier... i do not even have time to die.... and even if i have... I would rather volunteer my time at PAWS or FFF or NANAS... at least they are doing their best to achieve their objective....
That is why we need auditors, but little Napoleons do not like auditors ... and they ignore their paymasters' needs ...
"We organized in the past to make Trap-Neuter-Return possible. Today, we organize to make Trap-Neuter-Return the norm and to end the unnecessary killing of cats in animal shelters across the country and provide humane care." - Alley Cat Allies
Old 03-20-2009, 11:39 AM
Pets Are NOT Disposable

Quote:
Originally Posted by daphne1985 View Post
Good Job
you done something at least better than other that done "o".
This is a good example of "Hell hath no fury like a woman scorned ..." Poor Segar!
"We organized in the past to make Trap-Neuter-Return possible. Today, we organize to make Trap-Neuter-Return the norm and to end the unnecessary killing of cats in animal shelters across the country and provide humane care." - Alley Cat Allies
Old 03-20-2009, 11:42 AM
Founder, PetFinder.my

AndyKoh has disabled reputation

Kheng Teik,

Quote:
Which is to see to the prevention of animal cruelty... That should be their first priority... I don't freaking care how they do it... but as long as they do it... I'll cease to criticize them..
In what aspects do you not think that SPCA is helping prevent animal cruelty? Rescuing animals, neutering strays, educating people etc that they do are all part and parcel of the mission to give these animals a better life and relief them of their original suffering environment. In any case, it doesn't make sense to entirely define an organization solely by their acronym or name - look at their complete mission statement and goals instead.

Quote:
From my point of view, they MIGHT be doing so because your friends found puppies and it might be near SPCA... I have called SPCA before regarding a stray dog at my old factory at Port Klang. And their response, Klang is too far away... And they asked me to find a way to bring the dog to them.... If i am able to do so... I would not need to ask for help need I??
Not really, the puppies are at least 40 mins' drive away from their shelter at that particular time of day due to massive traffic jams. Again, as I said, SPCA is not omnipresent or Superman and have all the resources to be everywhere at everytime. You are not the only person calling them for help, and with their limited resources, they have to save the most in the least amount of time and thus would need to prioritize the requests. That is why we need IPRs are well, so that these parties can all work together, and have some group nearest to that location to rescue them.

Quote:
Since last year, the SPCA has been steadily getting each month about 650 pets which are given up by owners, compared with 500 in 2007. More homeless animals are expected as the year rolls on. IF SPCA would have done their job in the first place, this would be reduced drastically...
It is unfair to directly attribute these figures to SPCA's performance. There can be other factors leading to the increase in surrenders, like economic problems, relocations etc, which are beyond the control of SPCA. In fact, your statement appears to say that IPRs have also not done their jobs well - because rescuing animals is a joint task, and not something to solely shove the burden on one party's shoulders.

Quote:
they should step up their awareness campaigns.... And i repeat... ESPECIALLY TO NON ANIMAL LOVERS and PARENTS!!!!!
Yes, I absolutely agree that all these people must be thoroughly educated. But, like any school, a group of kids will excel, and the rest either are not paying attention, don't accept the teachings, or just can't be bothered even though you shove the materials down their throat. So, implementing tougher laws/penalties is also a necessity to give a solid backing to the education.

Quote:
My point again... Why can Noah's Ark Natural Animal Sanctuary in Johor able to cope? And from the news i read, NANAS actually took in 2 horses from SPCA to rehabilitate with NO CHARGES! With so many high and mighty financial backers I'm surprised with SPCA....
Yes, NANAS is doing a good job. I do not know enough about them to comment, but I would presume that they had a good amount of donor funds and corporate support to be able to get a large piece of land and support a thousand animals simutaneously, more than what SPCA has.

Anyway, this war of words will never end because people remain divided on the issues and merely stating the points here might not be enough to change people's minds. If you are able to achieve these goals on your own or by helping an animal rescue group, then I certainly admire and respect your capability for it, and please help other groups improve with your knowledge and solid actions.

For those people that are volunteering at these shelters, do not feel that your efforts are wasted because others criticize the organization that you volunteer for. Instead, take this as a good opportunity for you to make a larger difference to that organization, by taking in the valid points from these criticisms and turning them into actions there, help them improve with your own hands, do whatever you can within your means, and you will have done a great deed to the animal community.

There is really no point in arguing further, so, just do what you believe or support, since we all share common goals here.
Old 03-20-2009, 11:46 AM
PetFinder Guru

daphne1985 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to daphne1985

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynielime View Post
some of us are going to go on follow-up visits and inspections of adoptions tomorrow morning at 10am. meet at spca office. send me a private message if you are interested in going with me.

daphne, i got the impression from your previous posts that you want to volunteer? message me.
Sure, I will..Thanks, this is my first time, so excited to help
Old 03-20-2009, 11:50 AM
Pets Are NOT Disposable

In what aspects do you not think that SPCA is helping prevent animal cruelty? Rescuing animals, neutering strays, educating people etc that they do are all part and parcel of the mission to give these animals a better life and relief them of their original suffering environment. In any case, it doesn't make sense to entirely define an organization solely by their acronym or name - look at their complete mission statement and goals instead.

Andy, DBKL animal cruelty happened in Setapak where Klinik Kembiri operates. The vans arrive in the compound next to the clinic. The howls of pain can be heard above the aircon in the room. Open the window of the clinic slightly and you will see the poor animals dragged with ropes around the neck along the rough gravel on the ground till the animals which are not on their feet walking bled profusely. Uninjured animals end up bleeding profusely, yelping in agony. They are dragged beside the clinic to the pound at the back. Resisting animals are given a very hard whack with blood oozing out of its mouth! This scenario has happened for continuously for years.

Andy, sitting inside that air conned room is a SPCA Manager who either says he is not aware of what is happening or on other occasions say that he doesn't blame those guys.
Old 03-20-2009, 11:52 AM
PetFinder Guru

melmel is on a distinguished road

hi Daphne1985,
Do u want 2 b a volunteer @ Dogs / Cats Adoption Drive :

Date : 28 (Sat) & 29 (Sun) Mar
Venue : Lobby, NZX Mall, Ara Damansara

if u r interested, pls contact d person-in-charge @ 019-3576477

p/s : wld u mind 2 share : wat's happen 2 ur poor Yuuki? drop me an email. do u need help 4 justice ?

cheers

Last edited by AndyKoh; 03-20-2009 at 11:59 AM. Reason: Removed email address to prevent spam harvesting, please PM the email address instead
Old 03-20-2009, 11:53 AM
PetFinder Moderator

dog is my buddy has disabled reputation

Andy,
I agree with you, some negative opinion from forumer here might poison to volunteer mind. Don't the dark force down your passion and interested, as a volunteering at these shelters, you are great person for those homeless animals.

Quote:
For those people that are volunteering at these shelters, do not feel that your efforts are wasted because others criticize the organization that you volunteer for. Instead, take this as a good opportunity for you to make a larger difference to that organization, by taking in the valid points from these criticisms and turning them into actions there, help them improve with your own hands, do whatever you can within your means, and you will have done a great deed to the animal community.

There is really no point in arguing further, so, just do what you believe or support, since we all share common goals here.

Sometimes,things in life are out of our control. We just need to accept the fact.
Rocky, Ricky and Rusty is my best friend.
Old 03-20-2009, 11:55 AM
PetFinder Guru

nivek is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by FurKids View Post

Andy, sitting inside that air conned room is a SPCA Manager who either says he is not aware of what is happening or on other occasions say that he doesn't blame those guys.
Bring this guy over to meet our SPCA Penang's manager and we'll see where he ends up
Old 03-20-2009, 11:58 AM
PetFinder Moderator

dog is my buddy has disabled reputation

Yes, I have 2 station waiting for, spca penang, and spca seberang prai.
welcome to our forumer members visit anytime.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nivek View Post
Bring this guy over to meet our SPCA Penang's manager and we'll see where he ends up

Sometimes,things in life are out of our control. We just need to accept the fact.
Rocky, Ricky and Rusty is my best friend.
Old 03-20-2009, 12:07 PM
Founder, PetFinder.my

Furkids,

Quote:
Originally Posted by FurKids View Post
Andy, DBKL animal cruelty happened in Setapak where Klinik Kembiri operates. The vans arrive in the compound next to the clinic. Andy, sitting inside that air conned room is a SPCA Manager who either says he is not aware of what is happening or on other occasions say that he doesn't blame those guys.
I do not have sufficient facts from both sides of the stories, but if what you say is true, then this is a case of serious negligence that would warrant a reexamination of guidelines and human resources there. SPCA did take a number of actions and remedies on the situation, and I certainly hope the situation has improved there.

However, I wouldn't stereotype SPCA based on this case and discount all the enormous amount of good deeds they have done.
Old 03-20-2009, 12:09 PM
Founder, PetFinder.my

FurKids and Daphne,

Please do not raise the Yuki and Segar issues anymore, as that would only result in personal attacks again. I have removed those irrelevant posts.

Thank you.
Old 03-20-2009, 12:12 PM
Pets Are NOT Disposable

Yes, Andy, wise decision. Otherwise if there is legal action from the slandered party, the exchanges would provide a very negative picture of the defendent including the frame of mind.
Old 03-20-2009, 12:15 PM
PetFinder Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by melmel View Post
hi Daphne1985,
Do u want 2 b a volunteer @ Dogs / Cats Adoption Drive :

Date : 28 (Sat) & 29 (Sun) Mar
Venue : Lobby, NZX Mall, Ara Damansara

if u r interested, pls contact d person-in-charge @ 019-3576477

p/s : wld u mind 2 share : wat's happen 2 ur poor Yuuki? drop me an email. do u need help 4 justice ?

cheers
Hi Memel,

on 28/3, I would love to go there, but my puppy vaccination due date on 28 of Mar so I need to go vet at that day. However, on 29/3, I can go..but I do not have own transport. I will try contact person in charge to learn more.

Thanks anyway

Daphne
Old 03-20-2009, 12:22 PM
PetFinder Guru

melmel is on a distinguished road

appreciate tat.

do drop me an e mail, I'll furnish u my contact.
wenever u need help, let me noe.
Old 03-20-2009, 12:24 PM
Animal Lover

June is on a distinguished road
Default Letter from an Animal Shelter Manager - the sad truth

No transport Daphne?? Take a taxi.

Quote:
Hi Memel,

on 28/3, I would love to go there, but my puppy vaccination due date on 28 of Mar so I need to go vet at that day. However, on 29/3, I can go..but I do not have own transport. I will try contact person in charge to learn more.

Thanks anyway

Daphne
Old 03-20-2009, 12:30 PM
PetFinder Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by June View Post
No transport Daphne?? Take a taxi.
let see how, Taxi..everyone noe how to take taxi
Old 03-20-2009, 12:39 PM
Animal Lover

June is on a distinguished road
Default Letter from an Animal Shelter Manager - the sad truth

Yes,this is the time u walk the talk.by volunteering for animals. Transporation is not the problem.That why I said take taxi.

Quote:
let see how, Taxi..everyone noe how to take taxi
Old 03-20-2009, 12:42 PM
PetFinder Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by June View Post
Yes,this is the time u walk the talk.by volunteering for animals. Transporation is not the problem.That why I said take taxi.
Ya, I love to volunteer..but I hope can volunteer not only 1 or 2 days..If can b more i dont mind.
Old 03-20-2009, 12:48 PM
Banned

khengteik is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to khengteik

Dear Andy....

No offense, but do you need a dictionary to find out the meaning of animal cruelty?

I quote from wikipedia:
Quote:
Cruelty to animals refers to the infliction suffering or harm to animals as an end in and of itself. However, it has also been defined as causing harm for specific gain such as killing animals for food or fur use.
This has always been my point... and will always remain my point.... and again... This is because I have NEVER EVER EVER seen or heard any information... about education programs, awareness programs, etc from SPCA in the past... and i do log in frequently to pp.com... and guess what... the only things i see are all this sale... that sale... fund raisers.. etc...

i'm getting sick and tired of repeating myself... and my point is not to argue with you... stick with the facts for goodness sake... search in the internet.... some SPCA's in other countries also started out with ZERO.... and now.. they are HEROs... this is because they are living up the name of the organization...

Quote:
It is unfair to directly attribute these figures to SPCA's performance. There can be other factors leading to the increase in surrenders, like economic problems, relocations etc, which are beyond the control of SPCA. In fact, your statement appears to say that IPRs have also not done their jobs well - because rescuing animals is a joint task, and not something to solely shove the burden on one party's shoulders.
Excuse me... I took the quote from News Straits Times NEWSPAPER... meaning that you are saying that NSTP is being unfair?

Quote:
Yes, NANAS is doing a good job. I do not know enough about them to comment, but I would presume that they had a good amount of donor funds and corporate support to be able to get a large piece of land and support a thousand animals simutaneously, more than what SPCA has.
Like i said again... its all about TAX REBATE!!!!! I dont understand why you guys dont get it... is it so hard to understand what is tax rebate?

NANAS is a relatively new organization compared to SPCA or PAWS.... but tell me.. why can they do it when SPCA cant do it since the past 50yrs?

Look around... and think outside the box....

Quote:
However, I wouldn't stereotype SPCA based on this case and discount all the enormous amount of good deeds they have done.
What good deeds? OK.... Lets say i give SPCA reasonable doubt about good deeds.... but this case happened in not 10 meters away from SPCA's clinic.... its like 10feet away??? Come on la...

BTW... I dont understand why is most of everyone here so narrow minded? we are all working together towards the wellbeing of animals.. which is a comman goal... but seriously... SPCA has to really buck up...

nivec
Just so u know, TNR has been PROVEN to work... why do we need to redo the study???

ALL
I have never said not discourage people from volunteering...

Seriously.. i think my English is getting from bad to worse..... cos seems like no one understands what i'm posting... All that i've posted are based on facts.. or does anyone needs me to talk in Thai?

"khun yu ni lu phom phut arai mai?? ko mai lu mai bien lai..."

anyways... time to sleep... lazy to layan people who are so narrow minded....
furkids... if u dont mind... and have msn.. add me yah... my nick at hot hot mail dot com... hehhe we shoot each other in msn

Last edited by khengteik; 03-20-2009 at 12:58 PM.
Old 03-20-2009, 01:04 PM
Gentle Giant

Coony is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyKoh View Post
FurKids and Daphne,

Please do not raise the Yuki and Segar issues anymore, as that would only result in personal attacks again. I have removed those irrelevant posts.

Thank you.
Debate is good but stick to the subject. Andy, this admin had to be careful & strict with user who is regular in personal attack & mud slinging as I don't think you want to see the same fate suffer by the other forum by the same practice or rather by the same ppl.

Daphne, do what you need to do & move on, don't allow negative comment by ppl who had nothing nice to say but only negative talk to bother you in life.

Like I always said if you had nothing nice to say just shut up. Don't be a NATO (No Action Talk Only) be more constructive with your contribution, don't be full of talk (bullshit) that is not helping anyone or leading anywhere.

Best Maine Coon Cattery in CFA ID Asia/LA since 2004
The only Maine Coon cattery with 3 DM, 3 Top Ten MCO National & produce the most GC/GP (30) & DW (12) in CFA ID Asia/LA
Closed Thread