Go

Go Back   PetFinder.my > The Animal Corner > Cats & Kittens

Cats & Kittens General information and discussions on taking care of your feline buddy

Old 12-23-2011, 02:41 PM
PetFinder Guru

Rayquaza17 is on a distinguished road
Default Cats not getting along well.

I have recently adopted a sweet maine coon. I have another cat at home also. So, when I brought her back, I make a grave mistake and let her out for her to explore. I didn't cage her and this make my other cat really really jealous. She is so jealous that she didn't even want to eat near the new cat.

What can I do to make them be alright?
Old 12-23-2011, 03:09 PM
Petfinder Moderator

Maneki Neko is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Cats not getting along well.

Hi, Rayquaza17,

I would suggest separating them and starting over.

This article may help:

http://www.petfinder.my/library/110_..._to_Your_Home/

The most important thing: patience! Let them set the pace for meeting each other, and keep them segregated until there is peace. Good luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rayquaza17 View Post
I have recently adopted a sweet maine coon. I have another cat at home also. So, when I brought her back, I make a grave mistake and let her out for her to explore. I didn't cage her and this make my other cat really really jealous. She is so jealous that she didn't even want to eat near the new cat.

What can I do to make them be alright?
Old 12-23-2011, 04:54 PM
Animal Lover

bemagi is on a distinguished road

I have same question. Thanks for the answer
Old 12-24-2011, 01:06 AM
PetFinder Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maneki Neko View Post
Hi, Rayquaza17,

I would suggest separating them and starting over.

This article may help:

http://www.petfinder.my/library/110_..._to_Your_Home/

The most important thing: patience! Let them set the pace for meeting each other, and keep them segregated until there is peace. Good luck!
Thank you for the article. But what happen if my cat is an indoor outdoor cat? She is still coming back and all but then she will not go in the room unless her food bowl is really far from the new cat which means her bowl must be in the other room.

She is still loving with us but then I don't know how she will cope with it..I don't want her to run away. She is the princess who thought me about Cats intentions and all and I really love her.
Old 12-24-2011, 03:31 PM
Petfinder Moderator

Smile Re: Cats not getting along well.

Quote:
Thank you for the article. But what happen if my cat is an indoor outdoor cat? She is still coming back and all but then she will not go in the room unless her food bowl is really far from the new cat which means her bowl must be in the other room.
You're welcome, but did you readthe article?

The article says you should keep the new cat isolated from the present cat, in a separate room. Not just at feeding time, but at all times, until they get used to each other. The key word is separate: cats, beds, food & water bowls, litter boxes -- all in separate spaces.

As the cats get used to each other's scents, they'll grow to tolerate each other, and the article gives some tricks that you can use to help this process, such as wiping one cat down with a towel or cloth and then putting it into the room with the other.

Although I'm the one who posted the article in PF's library, I did not write it -- I put it together from posts that other, more experienced members had written and info I found on various web sites. Blackie007 posted the first thread when she got distressed by stories of so many people who adopted cats and kittens, and then lost them shortly after. Why? The cats would try to leave their new home to return to a more familiar place and often fell from balconies, were hit by cars, etc. Also we saw a lot of forum posts by people in your situation -- adopt a new cat and the existing ones are fighting with it. I also had this problem when I brought in my 2nd cat, and I followed the steps in this article very patiently for about 2 weeks. It paid off! My 2 girls are best pals now, but if I'd just thrown them together, I think they'd have beaten the stuffing out of each other. Separate rooms and patience -- it works!
Old 12-24-2011, 08:51 PM
PetFinder Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maneki Neko View Post
You're welcome, but did you readthe article?

The article says you should keep the new cat isolated from the present cat, in a separate room. Not just at feeding time, but at all times, until they get used to each other. The key word is separate: cats, beds, food & water bowls, litter boxes -- all in separate spaces.

As the cats get used to each other's scents, they'll grow to tolerate each other, and the article gives some tricks that you can use to help this process, such as wiping one cat down with a towel or cloth and then putting it into the room with the other.

Although I'm the one who posted the article in PF's library, I did not write it -- I put it together from posts that other, more experienced members had written and info I found on various web sites. Blackie007 posted the first thread when she got distressed by stories of so many people who adopted cats and kittens, and then lost them shortly after. Why? The cats would try to leave their new home to return to a more familiar place and often fell from balconies, were hit by cars, etc. Also we saw a lot of forum posts by people in your situation -- adopt a new cat and the existing ones are fighting with it. I also had this problem when I brought in my 2nd cat, and I followed the steps in this article very patiently for about 2 weeks. It paid off! My 2 girls are best pals now, but if I'd just thrown them together, I think they'd have beaten the stuffing out of each other. Separate rooms and patience -- it works!

Yeap. I read it. I am just wondering whether does it work for my case. The indoor outdoor case -.-. But since you said is alright and it work for your cats shortly after, I assume is alright then. I should be patient. Maybe I am just too worried whether I am giving enough attention to my previous one. I am too paranoid. What happen if she leave me? But. She still responds to me after the new cat arrive so I am gonna trust her. I hope it work well.
Old 12-24-2011, 09:11 PM
Petfinder Moderator

Quote:
Maybe I am just too worried whether I am giving enough attention to my previous one.
You are right! I got a lot of advice to give EXTRA love and attention to my first cat, to reassure her that she is still very loved. It's tempting to focus too much attention on the newcomer to make him or her feel welcome. You are absolutely right to lavish your first kitty with love now.
Old 12-24-2011, 09:43 PM
PetFinder Guru

Thank you. I am trying my best with two kitties plus my puppy :D. Quite hard but then will try to cope with all this since I am responsible for it ;) Thank you!
Old 12-26-2011, 04:22 PM
Animal Lover

NajmiAlwan is on a distinguished road

bagi mandi sama2....elok gak
Old 12-27-2011, 09:02 AM
PetFinder Buddy

ezat is on a distinguished road

u try play the old one more often...so make she/he fill like king in the house and the new one u manja2 dengan dia dlm bilik ke ...that place ur old cat cant see then slowly u try play with them together.maybe this will help u
Old 12-27-2011, 10:29 PM
PetFinder Guru

Thank you for all the advices. I am trying my best to slowly let them trust each other :)