Go

Go Back   PetFinder.my > The Animal Corner > Dogs & Puppies

Dogs & Puppies General information and discussions on taking care of your canine buddy

Old 03-05-2009, 08:35 PM
Animal Lover

cuilynn is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to cuilynn
Default Need a little help/advice on caring for my Cookie

Hi...

I have just recently bought a Shih Tzu puppy (abt 2.5mths old). She's adorable and very active.. i tried to comb her, as her fur is starting to tangled up.. especially her legs and the front of her body (below and around her mouth, and near her neck) but it's impossible to keep her still .. and she keep wanting to bite the comb. I dont dare to hold her too tightly as im afraid i might hurt or injure her . Usually, i just hold her up by her tummy. Im afraid to comb her face. Its too near to her eyes and just worried that i'll accidentally hurt her eyes as she moves too much. Is there any techniques/way to brush her without hurting her?

Oh.. same problem faced when i tried to apply ear cleaner liquid.

i've had dogs before (family pet), but this is the first time i'm caring for such a young fella. i've read up all i need to know on "how to care for a puppy" before i brought her home. Reality is a totally different story.. haha...

Any advice would be of great help... and Cookie would appreciate it too (she wont have to worry abt me hurting her)...

p/s: Cookie is my adorable pup...
Old 03-05-2009, 11:49 PM
Animal Lover

Ferreted is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Re: Need a little help/advice on caring for my Cookie

Hello Cuilynn, see below i pulled from the net.

"Things You’ll Need:

* Small dog
* counter top or table
* dog treats

Step1
One of the challenges of owning a small dog is that they tend to be a little hyper at times. This poses a problem when you need to do something as simple as brush the dog or put a harness on it. The first thing to do is to issue the dog the command to "sit." If the dog has not yet learned this command, then just try your best to corner it and pick it up.
Step2
Carefully place the dog in the middle of the nearest counter top or table. A bathroom counter top is another ideal place. The dog normally will stand completely still while you apply whatever treatment is necessary. Be sure to keep a firm hold on the dog. You do not want it to get away and fall off the counter.
Step3
While brushing the dog or putting on it's harness, speak soft words of praise to reassure them that they are behaving appropriately and that what you are doing is not punishment.
Step4
When the ordeal is finished, carefully pick up the dog and place it gently on the floor. If the dog is familiar with commands like "sit" or "stay", have it perform one of these tricks and then offer a treat as a reward for being so good.

Tips & Warnings

* Always be gentle with your dog and offer encouraging words while holding them up off the floor. If you are yelling at your dog or complaining, the dog will associate what you are doing as punishment.
* This tip also works for larger dogs if you are able to lift them onto a counter."

My dog before wont stay still during grooming, but you just have to do your thing.. over time she will get better as your dog is still very young! the quote got some good tips like being gentle and say nice things.

She just like to play or don't like what you "messin" her. but dont give up!!! ^^ they just have to to suck it up.. ^^ you wont hurt her, cause you love her so, a good grip will help you on the face..

Its better we get them used to our handling, other groomers that we pay can actually be very rough with the dog that they stood still/ lay in fear.

Eventually, when my Sammy hear the hair dryer runnin and you call him, he would come and lay himself happily cause that means a lot of sayang and stroking..

Heehee. Miss him so.
Old 03-07-2009, 03:47 PM
Animal Lover

cuilynn is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Skype™ to cuilynn
Default Re: Need a little help/advice on caring for my Cookie

thanks for the extracts... i tried for the past 2 days.. no successful in combing her... still couldnt comb near her mouth and neck.. bt will try again....