Go

Go Back   PetFinder.my > Reviews, Notices & Stories > Hall of Shame

Hall of Shame There are lots of cruel and inconsiderate people out there. Expose their cruel deeds to the world and let them be shamed!

Closed Thread

Old 05-08-2009, 01:13 AM
Animal Lover

Snowflake is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Pulau Ketam & MPK Klang Dump Dogs in Uninhabited Island

That's great. Inviting Sabrina to talk about her experience in saving the dogs would be an eye opening to many others. Have you guys had the chance to meet with this great lady ? She's soft-spoken and one thing strikes me about her is that she is very humble. Hope she has enough rest from her rescue mission.

btw, sillylupie, if you manage to get the link to download the annual review, post the link as well, yea. SPCA Selangor just got a new van.

Last edited by Snowflake; 05-08-2009 at 01:36 AM.
Old 05-08-2009, 01:32 AM
Founder, PetFinder.my

AndyKoh has disabled reputation

I read that it was pretty difficult to catch the dogs because they are very afraid of humans and are hard to approach, and assistance might be requested from the municipal to tranquilize the dogs, but I wonder if that would scare off most of the dogs during the commotion, or if the guys get too near.

Just wondering, is it possible to prepare some rice and meat for the dogs, mixed with strong sedative pills, then spread the food and sedatives evenly across an area reaching as many dogs as possible. Leave the food there and stay away silently for an hour or so to attract the dogs out into the open, and let them stay around till they get drowsy and fall asleep, then it would be easier to catch them in batches.
Old 05-08-2009, 02:21 AM
Animal Lover

Snowflake is on a distinguished road

Ok .. this I got to do. If you have the time to read this whole thread, please do :

http://www.homeapet.com/phpbb/viewto...st=0&sk=t&sd=a

Enuff said.
Old 05-08-2009, 02:54 AM
Animal Lover

supermutts is on a distinguished road

the spca condemned the act on 9th April 2009, why they did not take any action or prevent the dumping of more dogs??

Why after 9th Apr, no one responded? Where is FFF then? They haven't heard the news?

Why wait for 1 month then decided to go check it out?
Earlier they hoped they mutts will survive?

these are just a few questions... u can think of the rest...

i'm not questioning whether the dogs should be saved, that is another issue...
Old 05-08-2009, 08:03 AM
PetFinder Guru

Sashy is on a distinguished road

Andy, unless the sedative is very fast acting, its probably not a good idea as the dogs might wander too far or hide and if the observers miss a dog, the dog mightfall asleep in a bad spot and drown when the tide comes in. Also some dogs eat more/some eat less, so if the sedative is too much = overdose, otherwise, underdose and they run away
Old 05-08-2009, 08:05 AM
PetFinder Guru

Sashy is on a distinguished road

Anyway everyone wants a piece of the rescue action now, who's doing the prevention part :) I'm waiting to support that group. There was a small post that said village leaders support wholesale spaying, but also another post saying that the village leader has no regrets... I don't know if they are related, but no one so far has posted any spaying/education prevention programme?
Old 05-08-2009, 08:20 AM
PetFinder Moderator

dog is my buddy has disabled reputation

is too risk to do the job using hands, need have a right tool for catch the dogs.

Sometimes,things in life are out of our control. We just need to accept the fact.
Rocky, Ricky and Rusty is my best friend.
Old 05-08-2009, 09:01 AM
PetFinder Guru

nivek is on a distinguished road

My money has gone to FFF in this case
Old 05-08-2009, 09:37 AM
Pets Are NOT Disposable

FurKids is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyKoh View Post
I read that it was pretty difficult to catch the dogs because they are very afraid of humans and are hard to approach, and assistance might be requested from the municipal to tranquilize the dogs, but I wonder if that would scare off most of the dogs during the commotion, or if the guys get too near.

Just wondering, is it possible to prepare some rice and meat for the dogs, mixed with strong sedative pills, then spread the food and sedatives evenly across an area reaching as many dogs as possible. Leave the food there and stay away silently for an hour or so to attract the dogs out into the open, and let them stay around till they get drowsy and fall asleep, then it would be easier to catch them in batches.
Any use of sedatives and tranquilisers will be very, very dangerous because the dogs will run and hide in unreachable areas even before the drugs take effect and if you are unable to retrieve every dog effected (it will be very, very difficult), they will drown when the tide comes.

Any slightest sight and smell of evil council men and other DVS staffs with guns will remind the poor dogs of the evil dog catchers and they will run for dear life .... I think only Sabrina, Jackie and Murugan can get some of their trust from what I read .... hehehehheheeeee!!!!
"We organized in the past to make Trap-Neuter-Return possible. Today, we organize to make Trap-Neuter-Return the norm and to end the unnecessary killing of cats in animal shelters across the country and provide humane care." - Alley Cat Allies
Old 05-08-2009, 10:57 AM
Pets Are NOT Disposable

Thumbs up Amazing Grace ...

Great job, Sabrina and team !!!!!

Donations well spent !!!!!

-------------------------------------------------

Fri, 08/05/09:
From http://www.mycen.com.my/rescue/updates.html

AMAZING GRACE

Picture 1: Another long day. Another beautiful sunset. Another dog saved. I am happy. Sabrina is happy. Grace is happy. Volunteer Donald who donated 10 new cages, accompanied us on this trip. He was given the honour of naming our new family member. He called her Grace.

Picture 2: Grace swimming from Hell Island into our arms.

Picture 3: Kuning swam into a floating fish farm a few weeks ago. The kindly Indonesian workers adopted him and another abandoned black dog imaginatively named Hitam A diet of mainly seafood gave their coat a healthy shine. They have since grown quite attached to their saviors.

Updates and pics by TV Smith
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	grace1.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	65.9 KB
ID:	5093   Click image for larger version

Name:	grace2.jpg
Views:	82
Size:	75.4 KB
ID:	5094   Click image for larger version

Name:	kuning.jpg
Views:	86
Size:	44.0 KB
ID:	5095  
"We organized in the past to make Trap-Neuter-Return possible. Today, we organize to make Trap-Neuter-Return the norm and to end the unnecessary killing of cats in animal shelters across the country and provide humane care." - Alley Cat Allies

Last edited by AndyKoh; 05-08-2009 at 02:57 PM. Reason: Font size too large
Old 05-08-2009, 11:21 AM
Pets Are NOT Disposable

Default Rescue groups swing into action

From The Star at http://thestar.com.my/news/story.asp...303&sec=nation

Rescue groups swing into action

Thursday, May 7, 2009
By WANI MUTHIAH

PORT KLANG: Animal welfare groups are rushing to an island near here to rescue hundreds of dogs dumped there by Pulau Ketam residents.

One of the rescue missions initiated by animal sanctuary Furry Friends Farm (FFF) saw two dogs being rescued from the uninhabited Pulau Tengah.

Earlier in the day, two more dogs were rescued by volunteers and workers of Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (SPCA) and Save a Stray, a non-governmental organisation.

FFF founding director Sabrina Yeap said rescuers were finding it difficult to get to the dogs, which were hiding deep in the mangrove swamp surrounding the island.

“The dogs are fearful of people after the ordeal they had been put through, so they go into hiding when they sense human presence near the island,” said Yeap, who was accompanied by blogger TV Smith and several volunteers during the rescue.

Also in the entourage was DAP member and Hulu Langat district council councillor Karin Lee.

Pulau Ketam residents claimed they dumped the dogs on Pulau Tengah because they did not agree with the methods used by the local council to exterminate strays rounded up on the island.

The abandoning of the dogs on an island, without food and water, is slowly attracting international concern, with protests coming from Hong Kong, Australia, the United States and Britain.

“People from these countries are sending us funds to carry out our rescue mission. We have received thousands of e-mail begging us to help the dogs,” said Yeap.

Malaysians, too, were contributing to the rescue, she said. Some even called and expressed their anguish after reading about the dogs, she added.

Some of the dogs have died of starvation while others drowned in their attempt to swim back to Pulau Ketam.

The surviving dogs had also resorted to eating the carcasses of their dead counterparts.

Lee said she accompanied Yeap to see for herself the gravity of the situation in order to report the matter to the state government.

After the rescue in Pulau Tengah, the group proceeded to Pulau Ketam, where Lee went looking for village headman Cha Keng Lee.

However, Cha was nowhere to be seen. Lee was told that he had gone for a meeting in Klang.
Old 05-08-2009, 11:22 AM
PetFinder Guru

acsyen is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Amazing Grace ...

Reposting this food for thought from a fren of mine:

Food for thought:

Rescuing the abandoned dogs is just the tip of the ice-berg. What are the numbers that will come in if the recue operation is successful? 10s, 100s?? After the dogs are rescued, who will come forward and give them homes. To those that support this mission, will you also come forward to provide a home for one of these dogs?

In all honesty, how much are we part of the soultion or part of the problem?

Funds are definitely important in such an operation, Despite it not always being an easy task to raise enough funds, it is not impossible. The downstream problem which is as important, if not more important is finding homes for those who may be rescued and then how to sustain their lives for the rest of their lives if homes are not found. Rehoming these numbers or housing them somewhere is also the issue that requires commitment from people who support this rescue.

So apart from the importance of just coming forward to give monetory support, people who support this rescue have to consider not only the short term solution but also think from the bigger picture (otherwise it will be as shortsighted as the solution that Pulau Ketam took in this issue)!

http://www.puppy.com.my/cgi-bin/foru...=332654#332654
Old 05-08-2009, 02:45 PM
PetFinder Guru

melmel is on a distinguished road

SPCA & SAS will do MASS STERILIZATION @ KETAM THOUSAND DOGS, pls SUPPORT

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

News From SPCA Selangor
For release on Thursday, 7th May 2009
Dear Friends,

Thank you for the overwhelming support for our work on Pulau Ketam, and our rescue and relief efforts at Pulau Selat Kering for the helpless abandoned dogs. This is a quick e-mail update on our first rescue & relief effort on the 6th of May, 2009. We are so touched with the response from the public and media for the dogs during their time of need – funds have been pouring in, and donations of dog food, cages and other supplies have been arriving at the animal shelter since yesterday afternoon. Volunteers with a variety of skills have also contacted us, offering their help – an animal communicator and reiki healer, boat owner, vet, bloggers, and many experienced dog-handlers and rescuers.

Our immediate concern is to provide food and clean drinking water for the 100-200 dogs daily. While we attempt to recover as many dogs from the island as possible, we are also in the midst of formulating a long-term strategy to address the staggering stray dog population on Pulau Ketam – involving mass sterilization and an educational campaign for the villagers on responsible pet ownership and the importance of neutering to prevent unwanted litters.

Day 1 : Rescue & Relief @ Pulau Selat Kering The team consisting of Animal Inspectors Cunera, Murugan, Kennel worker Manimaran, Vet Dr Goh and Save A Stray founder Jacqueline Tsang left at 7.30am from Klang towards Pulau Ketam. The team brought along water cans, 15kg bags of dog food, cages, nets, graspers and leashes. Members of the media followed on a separate boat.

From Pulau Ketam (where the stray dog crisis started), the entourage took another boat to Pulau Selat Kering, 30 minutes away.

Cunera, Murugan, and Maran went into the mangrove area and started to feed the dogs with dog biscuits. The dogs rushed out from their hiding area in the swamp and devoured the food hungrily. keeping a watchful eye on the team while eating. Dr Goh was on hand surveying the condition of the dogs, in case there were any dogs in severe conditions that had to be euthanised humanely. We are aware that we have come under criticism from several parties who claim that we are too quick to euthanise, however the difficult decision is made based on the vets discretion - putting the animals welfare first. Thankfully, none had to be put down – though terribly skinny, they were still active and alert.

The dogs were very nervous, and untrusting – making it almost impossible to catch them. The team could only manage to slowly wade through the mud, with thick branches and roots tripping them or blocking their path. The dogs however managed to scamper away swiftly every time someone came too near for comfort. The rising tide also forced the dogs further inland. Fishermen nearby warned that there are wild boars and snakes on the island too. (Thankfully, we didn't bump into either)

afternoon, we had managed to only catch 2 dogs. Wowow is a friendly, short black dog. BooBoo is an intimidating looking dog who doesn't trust us one bit. Both are very skinny, and settle down into their cages looking exhausted but grateful. On the trip back, they lie flat on their sides and sleep.

Unloading the two lucky dogs from the van. They are currently cared for at the SPCA Selangor office, while in transit to a fosterers home
BooBoo is really exhausted after his ordeal. Both dogs gobble up a meal of rice, chicken and kibbles in record time.
Lovely Wowow giving us a smile.
As of today, 5 dogs have been successfully recovered – 3 by Furry Friends Farm and 2 by us. We have paid a worker to feed the dogs on Thursday with food we left behind , we hope this regular feeding will draw more dogs towards the fringe of the island.

Lessons Learnt, and Plans for Our Trip Tomorrow
Overall, using nets and graspers proves impossible – using a nylon leash is much faster. The mangrove is slowing down our movement, we will bring a machete tomorrow to help clear away branches and make a path.

We will try using sedatives (mixed into food) and 4 dog traps tomorrow, we hope to bring more dogs back safely. The team will be beefed up a little – Committee Member E-Ching, Inspectors Cunera & Murugan, Kennel Worker Sugen, PR Officers Jacinta and Shahrul, and Volunteers Jorg and Lynette will be going.

A very generous supporter has offered to help us ferry the dogs back and forth on his boat, while the PAWS Animal Shelter in Subang Jaya have kindly offered to provide temporary shelter for some of the dogs rescued in the following days.

We will be bringing more water cans, bags of dog food, and tempting treats like boiled liver and meat strips.

Thank you all again for your support and concern, we hope to update you all again on Day 2 of our rescue and relief work tomorrow evening through our website.

How You Can Help

SPCA and SAS are appealing to the public to contribute to their Pulau Ketam fund, to aid the emergency rescue and relief efforts over the next several weeks. Funds will be utilized to hire boats for transportation of the dogs, purchase dog food, medical supplies and cages. By the weekend, we will update the website with the total funds collected and expenses.

We also appreciate donations in kind – 3’ x 3’ multipurpose cages, dog biscuits and canned food, food and water bowls, towels, water storage containers, and flea/tick spray. All donated items can be sent to the SPCA Animal Shelter in Ampang Jaya.

Donate Online
Please click here to make a donation through our ipay88.com account
. Please indicate that the donation is for the Pulau Ketam Project.

Fund Transfers & Cheques

You can bank in the payment to our RHB account (Account No: 2-12273-00021583). Please call or e-mail us at enquiries@spca.org.my to notify us of your bank-in donation and transaction details.

Please make all cheques to the Society For The Prevention of Cruelty To Animals (please write Pulau Ketam fund on the reverse), and mail to ;

SPCA Selangor
Jalan Kerja Ayer Lama
68000 Ampang Jaya
Selangor Darul Ehsan
Enquiries: 603-4256 5312 (8am - 4.30pm), 4253 5312 (10am – 6.30pm)

Volunteers
If you are an experienced dog-handler, animal rescuer or vet and interested in assisting with the emergency rescue and relief work, or able to foster adult dogs or puppies temporarily, please send us an e-mail immediately at enquiries@spca.org.my . There are hundreds of dogs that need your help, every bit counts!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Ketam 14.jpg
Views:	83
Size:	85.5 KB
ID:	5096   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ketam 16.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	121.4 KB
ID:	5097   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ketam 17.jpg
Views:	150
Size:	62.0 KB
ID:	5098   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ketam 18.jpg
Views:	113
Size:	83.7 KB
ID:	5099   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ketam 19.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	90.3 KB
ID:	5100  

Name:	Ketam 20.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	60.6 KB
ID:	5101   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ketam 21.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	135.2 KB
ID:	5102   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ketam 22.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	79.2 KB
ID:	5103   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ketam 23.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	59.7 KB
ID:	5104   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ketam 24.jpg
Views:	99
Size:	75.5 KB
ID:	5105  

Last edited by melmel; 05-08-2009 at 03:21 PM. Reason: Font size too large
Old 05-08-2009, 02:48 PM
PetFinder Guru

melmel is on a distinguished road

2 RESCUED DOGS from PULAU TENGAH were named Boo Boo & WoWow by SPCA
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	Ketam 25.jpg
Views:	94
Size:	77.0 KB
ID:	5106   Click image for larger version

Name:	Ketam 26.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	107.6 KB
ID:	5107  

Last edited by melmel; 05-08-2009 at 03:28 PM. Reason: Duplicate content
Old 05-08-2009, 03:05 PM
Pets Are NOT Disposable

Default Just keep pushing and ploughing, everybody ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by acsyen View Post
Reposting this food for thought from a fren of mine:

Food for thought:

Rescuing the abandoned dogs is just the tip of the ice-berg. What are the numbers that will come in if the recue operation is successful? 10s, 100s?? After the dogs are rescued, who will come forward and give them homes. To those that support this mission, will you also come forward to provide a home for one of these dogs?

In all honesty, how much are we part of the soultion or part of the problem?

Funds are definitely important in such an operation, Despite it not always being an easy task to raise enough funds, it is not impossible. The downstream problem which is as important, if not more important is finding homes for those who may be rescued and then how to sustain their lives for the rest of their lives if homes are not found. Rehoming these numbers or housing them somewhere is also the issue that requires commitment from people who support this rescue.

So apart from the importance of just coming forward to give monetory support, people who support this rescue have to consider not only the short term solution but also think from the bigger picture (otherwise it will be as shortsighted as the solution that Pulau Ketam took in this issue)!

http://www.puppy.com.my/cgi-bin/foru...=332654#332654
Yes, Yen, your friend like many others thinking along this line is right and has good points.

Tapi, as all of us know, animal welfare and rescues meet with SOOOO many frustrating hurdles and obstacles at each and every turn for those of us who really care and have compassion in our hearts for the suffering animals, everything is such an uphill task, sometimes kefala SOOOOO very peniang that rightly or wrongly, everybody simply have to do what we can in little parts that we can ... eg. SPCA really concentrate on and do the animal welfare issues which is painstaken but needs to be done aggressively nationwide on a continuous like the urgent ADULT Anti-Cruelty Awareness and Education Programs for residential and community areas (target all the residential community committees everywhere), keep fanning and banging it into our hard-headed society ... towards inculcating an animal compassionate and tolerant society ... and people like Sabrina and Jac continue to do the good rescuing work (of course SPCA pun buat juga la) ... then the aggressive TNR work (tak kira siapa punya animal - nampak, tangkap, kembiri saja ... kena lanun sikit on this, otherwise the public apathy (really, the bulk of the public will simply continue to buat duh saja ... only know how to complain about animal nuisance and menace) ... and finally the rehabilitation and rehoming for the sociably inclined animals and create the much needed protected stray colonies for those not suitable for rehoming.

Memang easier said than done, but it is essential that all be done, no buts about that ... but mostly importantly is that all needs to be done single-mindedly, and needs to be pushed very hard with all our might to get everything through without periodically looking behind to see whether society is responding positively or not (and maybe getting discouraged in the process) ... just keep pushing ... and pushing ... and pushing .... we have no other choice ... simply for the sake of the poor animals ... and we have nothing to lose but all to gain.

Just think global and act local ... let's all do it together ...
Old 05-08-2009, 03:23 PM
Pets Are NOT Disposable

And you know, Yen, not being in the rescue scene itself except remotely through financial assistance alone, my head would also rationalise that the money might better be spent at macro level, sacrificing those poor suffering dogs' lives to achieve bigger wins elsewhere, but, realistically, I can understand the hearts and minds of those on the scene ... if you are there to stare into those suffering and begging hopeless eyes of those animals, your hearts will burst and you will be moved to rescue them out of that hell-hole whether rational or not, logical or not ... that is how the human heart works ... when the heart is moved with compassion, you throw all caution and reason to the wind ... like a mother jumping into flames to rescue her child ...

Along the same line, I am aware that we animal compassionate people cannot afford to walk away from the misery in the eyes of any animal in front of us ... because once we do that, well, in the beginning it will haunt us in the stillness of the night ... and if we chose to ignore and shut it out, we will continue to ignore things and one fine day, we will be apathetic just like the rest of the world.

... and that would be a sad, sad day indeed. My 5 sen ...
Old 05-08-2009, 10:20 PM
PetFinder Moderator

Thank you to those support donated to Furry Friends Farm. lucky petfinder.my got some people did it. Thanks Nivek and Furkid if you already donated.

Sometimes,things in life are out of our control. We just need to accept the fact.
Old 05-08-2009, 11:18 PM
PetFinder Guru

nivek is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by dog is my buddy View Post
Thank you to those support donated to Furry Friends Farm. lucky petfinder.my got some people did it. Thanks Nivek and Furkid if you already donated.
No big deal dimb and its my pleasure :) I'm also organizing a charity drive for them next coming Tuesday. Link is here : http://www.shutterasia.com/forum/showthread.php?t=30804
Old 05-09-2009, 12:14 AM
PetFinder Moderator

for you side how many able collect for total all donation?

Quote:
Originally Posted by nivek View Post
No big deal dimb and its my pleasure :) I'm also organizing a charity drive for them next coming Tuesday. Link is here : http://www.shutterasia.com/forum/showthread.php?t=30804

Old 05-09-2009, 12:40 AM
PetFinder Buddy

ChewChew1987 is on a distinguished road

This crisis further create a negative image on the authorities.

Send dogs to inhabited islands?????? F*** whoever think it is a best solution to slowly starve them to death. These people need to think and use common sense. I have so many anger and curses to release in these people but it will not help to improve anything.

I will start to print out related articles and post them in vets/shops/universities in order to help gather more funds to help these dogs. I hope many of you will do some action instead of praying and waiting for someone else to do actions, if u really wanna help.

Thanks for those who already and is still helping the situation, and apologies to those whose sense i have offended.

Thanks & Sorry.

Last edited by ChewChew1987; 05-09-2009 at 12:56 AM.
Closed Thread