Go

Go Back   PetFinder.my > Reviews, Notices & Stories > Hall of Shame

Hall of Shame There are lots of cruel and inconsiderate people out there. Expose their cruel deeds to the world and let them be shamed!

Old 10-27-2008, 07:12 PM
Fast & Furry

CatMother is on a distinguished road
Default Re: IAMS A Recipe For Cruelty

OMG!!! That's soooo cruel. How could they? I'm currently feeding my babies with Iams & seems that they liked it so much. In fact their fur are shinier than before ever since I've started changing from RC to Iams. It's a blessing in disguise that this article came out as I'm planning to change to Blackwood and THIS time around I'm so gonna ban Iams. Thankfully I don't have to pening kepala nak tukar or not.

::the 3d clanz::
Everything happens for a reason
Old 10-28-2008, 09:39 AM
Pets Are NOT Disposable

FurKids is on a distinguished road
Default Caution! Do not simply give fish to your cats ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowentan View Post
Sorry to disappoint you BabyZee, but RC was the first company to get caught having excessive level of melamine in their pet food. You should try to switch to other brands or try mixing kibbles with other fresh raw food that you can buy from market. My buddy has been feeding 100% raw to his dog and risk of toxic contamination is very low.

Try stocking up some frozen dory fish if you don't have the time to go wet market. Cats love dory too!

Please look at the link here for more stories on RC http://www.consumeraffairs.com/news0..._recall47.html
Fish, especially the white meat type is known to be bad for cats because findings have revealed that they actually destroy certain Vitamin Bs in the cat's body, not to mention the mercury contamination (humans are advised to cut down on fish consumption too, and to go for deep sea and oily fish instead).

The last decade has produced tremendous amount of findings - both shocking truths and fallacies, regarding cats as they continue to increase in popularity to become the No. 1 household pet in the world as more and more people start living in small-sized living quarters and condominiums.

Previously, cats were treated just as little dogs as nothing much was known about their own specific needs and diet because dogs used to be more popular as pets. Now, every one now knows that unlike dogs, which are omnivorous, cats are ultimate carnivores. And among other essential things, they need taurine and arginine ...
"We organized in the past to make Trap-Neuter-Return possible. Today, we organize to make Trap-Neuter-Return the norm and to end the unnecessary killing of cats in animal shelters across the country and provide humane care." - Alley Cat Allies
Old 10-28-2008, 09:59 AM
Banned

ashleywong is on a distinguished road

I've already done that a long long time ago.

now i only buy from orijen and natural balance. even when i buy dog food for our local shelters - i buy natural balance (cos they have a larger bag sized for market in malaysia while orijen doesn't).

i'm glad to say today, that i'm glad the money i spent on my cats are not going towards perpetuating animal cruelty and my cats are also healthy (baring episodes of haemobart - nothing to do wtih food - from flea bite)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowentan View Post
Please look this link below
http://www.iamscruelty.com/introduction.asp

Dogs and cats are kept in cages and tortured. Their flesh are cut alive just to fulfil their experiments on their food. Pets are left to rot and die in cages without proper veterinary care.

Most of them go crazy due to being lonely in cage.

Please do your part and pledge not to buy IAMS pet food.

Thank you.
Old 10-28-2008, 09:59 AM
Pets Are NOT Disposable

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemonk View Post
aiyo... IAMS banned.. nak tukar RC pun melamine plak... hurmmm <-- sambil jeling thread Blackwood
The melamine recall which happened around April 2007 dulu involved not only RC, tapi Natural Balance and many other pet food manufacturers. Not many manufacturers escaped actually, and they had to recall all the batches known to have used contaminated grains like rice which were imported from China. Since then they have switched their source of the grains used. The current batches of pet foods from all brands concerned (touch wood!) are not in the news so far ....

China has been so irresponsible and so many of their produce are tainted with melamine and as you can today see the contamination has even entered so many of our human food products, even vegetables (the pesticides) and biscuits, noodles (from the baking agent ingredient from China) ...
"We organized in the past to make Trap-Neuter-Return possible. Today, we organize to make Trap-Neuter-Return the norm and to end the unnecessary killing of cats in animal shelters across the country and provide humane care." - Alley Cat Allies
Old 10-28-2008, 10:04 AM
Pets Are NOT Disposable

Default Pet food recall in 2007

There was also a recall in 2007 where a new contaminant was discovered in rice gluten used in pet food. This contaminant is cyanuric acid, which is chemically related to, but distinct from, melamine.

Recalls from various brands happen all the time and we all need to keep up to date so as to avoid those brands and their food batches at the period the recall was involved. It doesn't mean that if a certain brand was involved at a certain period that we have to stop buying it because other brands also get affected from time to time. The culprit is the ingredients they have to source from a third party, especially China.
Old 10-28-2008, 10:16 AM
Banned

ashleywong is on a distinguished road

Yes, i know that too that was why i was naturally careful before i started on natural balance - i corresponded extensively with manufacturers in usa and to their credit, they responded quickly to my queries and concerns and took pains to explain to me their processes including what happened and what controls are in place if and when they sub-contract out part of their food manufacturing to other companies.

it is only after that i've sastified myself with their answers only i use natural balance as the alternative to orijen - rotate with orijen so they don't get bored easily. however i buy the Allergy Formula from NB which only contains duck and green pea and do not contain any wheat, grain, corn, gluten and carbohydrate and this particular formula is manufactured by NB themselves in the States instead of being sub-contracted out to other manufacturers.

My first choice is still Orijen, not only because of the appropriateness of ingredients but beacuse it is a family concerned business and they control every single step of the manufacturing themselves with all sort of quality control in place - again, i've corresponded extensively with them, asking them all sort of questions (trust me when i due diligence i really do due diligence) before sastifying myself that everything is okay.

furthermore, orijen and NB shipped their finished products properly packaged and sealed - without sub-contracting it to be re-pack at other places - to me this is another part of quality control - if the product is re-manufacture elsewhere or re-pack elsewhere then the QC process breaks down and the risks of contamination and other funny stuff increases.

anyway, i'm glad to make the acquaintance of like-minded fur-parents

for those who are doing BARf, perhaps you can share your experience with us in another thread - so that we may learn too

Quote:
Originally Posted by FurKids View Post
The melamine recall which happened around April 2007 dulu involved not only RC, tapi Natural Balance and many other pet food manufacturers. Not many manufacturers escaped actually, and they had to recall all the batches known to have used contaminated grains like rice which were imported from China. Since then they have switched their source of the grains used. The current batches of pet foods from all brands concerned (touch wood!) are not in the news so far ....

China has been so irresponsible and so many of their produce are tainted with melamine and as you can today see the contamination has even entered so many of our human food products, even vegetables (the pesticides) and biscuits, noodles (from the baking agent ingredient from China) ...
Old 10-28-2008, 03:48 PM
Puppet Master~

chemonk is an unknown quantity at this point

hurm, i'm single with no dapur gas at home. i can't cook at all.. so it's easier for me to buy kibbles rather than preparing home-made meals to my furbabies. i'm trying my best to change brand from IAMS to something else in order to support boycotting product that use animals as a lab mice. pls understand others situation as well, living in P.D. with only 2 well known petshops & vet clinic. they don't sell the ultimate brand that been suggested somewhere in this thread. got no better choice. well, to me, it's good that you guys are very particular on the type of meals given to your furkids. but please consider other ppl situations also. not all ppl lives near vet clinic that open 24 hours, not all ppl lives near petshops that sell your suggested ultimate brand cat food, not all ppl can afford to cook for their furbabies... pls be considerate towards other by not accusing them of being herd mentality particularly on this issue. i'm trying my best not to use IAMS anymore in order to support boycotting animal cruelty done by them.. but your statement of "herd mentality" is unacceptable!

Last edited by chemonk; 10-28-2008 at 03:54 PM.
Old 10-28-2008, 03:55 PM
Pets Are NOT Disposable

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemonk View Post
hurm, i'm single with no dapur gas at home. i can't cook at all.. so it's easier for me to buy kibbles rather than preparing home-made meals to my furbabies. i'm trying my best to change brand from IAMS to something else in order to support boycotting product that use animals as a lab mice. pls understand others situation as well, living in P.D. with only 2 well known petshops & vet clinic. they don't sell the ultimate brand that been suggested somewhere in this thread. got no better choice. well, to me, it's good that you guys are very particular on the type of meals given to your furkids. but please consider other ppl situations also. not all ppl lives near vet clinic that open 24 hours, not all ppl lives near petshops that sell your suggested ultimate brand cat food, not all ppl can afford to cook for their furbabies... pls be considerate towards other by not accusing them of being mentally herd particularly on this issue. i'm trying my best not to use IAMS anymore in order to support boycotting animal cruelty done by them.. but your statement of "mentally herd" is unacceptable!
Chemonk, cooking for your furbabies is not easy, in the long run, commercially available kibbles are a more practical choice for ppl like you and me for obvious reasons ...

Here is an extract that I picked up from TIME magazine ... berita lama tapi worth taking note of ... especially the 2nd paragraph about homemade meals for your pets.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
TIME Magazine, “Unraveling the Pet-Food Mystery”
by Kristina Dell Thursday, Apr. 05, 2007

Rendering plants, which boil down dead animal carcasses from slaughterhouses into fats and proteins, sell cheap material that often ends up in pet food. The "meat" in your cat's kibbles could be any kind: there's no law against even using rendered material from cats and dogs in pet food. Plants can mix in anything from road kill to supermarket deli meats, and investigations by KMOV-TV in St. Louis and the Los Angeles Times have suggested that pets killed in animal shelters just might make it into the slop. The Pet Food Institute, whose members create most of the dog and cat food sold in the U.S., told the Times that pets are not allowed in their products. But the FDA has admitted to finding "very, very low levels" of sodium pentobarbital — the chemical used to euthanize animals — in some brands of dog food. Wayne Pacelle, President of the Humane Society of the U.S. said the allegations need more scrutiny. "The pet food industry is not the most transparent of industries and it has been really difficult for the public to obtain information," he says.

Some pet lovers are bypassing store food altogether, serving up home-cooked meals — everything from bone-shaped biscuits to homemade hamburgers. Sales of cookbooks for cats and dogs have increased dramatically, according Nielsen BookScan. But Goldstein of Cornell warns against cooking for your pet. "I would hate for people to stop using commercial pet food, because it's the healthiest diet in the long term for dogs and cats who need multiple vitamins at the proper ratios."
Old 10-29-2008, 09:26 AM
Meow's Pets

firdaruddin is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to firdaruddin
Default Re: Ada can makan nasi minyak ...

adesss....dah mula dah ni..back to topic,please...

p/s pakcu.kalau betul,jemput la.. ;)
Old 10-29-2008, 11:10 AM
PetFinder Moderator

dog is my buddy has disabled reputation

We invited Ann Martin, the author of the book, Food Pets Die For, which was written ten years ago, to provide her prespective on the latest food recall
Recalling Commercial Pet Food
By Ann Martin -Bark Magazine-petmysite.com

We are in the midst of the largest recall in the multibillion-dollar pet food industry since its humble beginnings in the early 1950s, but this present recall is not the first, and it certainly will not be the last.

Over the years, a number of pet foods have been recalled after various contaminates were found in the foods, but rarely did they get much media exposure. Two of the larger recalls in recent years involved dry pet foods that were contaminated with Aflatoxin B1, a fungus found in moldy grains, which resulted in the death of about 30 dogs. In 1999, the Doane Pet Care Center in Temple, Texas, recalled 53 brands of food, totaling 1,362,516 bags of dry food. In late 2005 and early 2006, Diamond Pet Food of Gaston, South Carolina, recalled 34 million pounds of dog and cat food made at their plant in Lexington County. Again, the source of contamination was Aflatoxin B1, which this time, poisoned more than 100 dogs.

Just one year later, on March 16, 2007, Menu Foods, a Canadian-based company with plants in Emporia, Kansas, and Pennsauken, New Jersey, began what has become the largest pet food recall the industry has ever known. As of April 1, this recall included 60 million containers of wet food, canned and in foil pouches, for dogs and cats. The dirty little secret that has been revealed in this latest recall is that the same pet food manufacturer, Menu Foods, makes products for low-end, private label store brands distributed by companies like Wal-Mart, Safeway and Kroger, as well as for supposed high-end, "quality pet foods" such as Iams and Eukanuba. During the first week of April, Hill's Pet Nutrition, Nestle Purina Pet Care and Nutro issued voluntary recalls on a number of their wet foods, which are also made by Menu Foods. Consumers are shocked to learn that the same company that produces grocery-store brand foods also manufactures the pet foods touted as "nutritional and balanced pet foods."

As of early April, the precise cause for these massive recalls continues to be a mystery. In December 2006, Menu Foods began to receive reports from customers whose animal companions were getting sick on the company's "cuts and gravy" products. Menu announced on March 19 that the problems seemed to coincide with a new supplier's introduction of a new ingredient, wheat gluten, which can be used as a source of protein or filler in pet foods.

A week later, Menu Foods announced that aminopterin, a rat poison, banned from use in the U.S., was found in samples of wheat gluten that were imported from China. It was not ruled to be the only contaminate in the food, and many experts in the field of toxicology think that contaminated wheat gluten would not have caused the symptoms displayed by the animals who have died. On March 30, the FDA announced that it had found melamine in the wheat gluten used in the suspect foods, and melamine in the urine of cats who had died or were ill. Melamine is used to produce kitchenware and countertops, and is also used as a fertilizer. Although melamine use in pet foods is considered a low-toxicity risk, minimal literature is available on acceptable toxicity levels in dogs and cats.

As of this writing (April 9, 2007), FDA testing continues, looking for other contaminates that might also be found in the wheat gluten. And now, Senator Richard Durbin (D-IL), the Majority Whip, has announced that Congress will hold a hearing April 12 on the FDA's investigation into the contamination and the deaths of the companion animals. report on hearing Congress's decision to get involved reflects the public's outrage about the lack of reliable independent scrutiny of pet-food manufacturers.

While the FDA scrambles to find a specific ingredient or cause, a much larger problem looms over the entire commercial pet food industry. Bottom-line, the pet food industry is a multibillion-dollar, self-regulated business. Corporations make huge profits by rendering garbage and selling it in attractive cans and bags as food for our pets. Then they have the audacity to call it "balanced and nutritious." The inferior ingredients in most commercial pet foods and other legally acceptable-yet potentially harmful-fillers are causing untold health problems for pets. This translates into pain, suffering and sometimes death for millions of animal companions, and billions of dollars in veterinary care.

Without a doubt, pet food recalls will continue until there is some kind of reliable, independent regulation of the pet food industry. Though it may be too late to rein in the pet food industry and its questionable products,the good news is that this most recent recall is a wake-up call for pet owners to take matters into their own hands and educate themselves about how to best meet their animal companions' nutritional needs. Some of you may make the extra effort to cook for your animal companions, which means that you'll know exactly what goes into their food bowls. And for those of you who cannot cook for your dogs, you can learn to read labels and purchase pet food from small, responsible companies that can assure you that their foods only contain human-grade ingredients. What ever route you take, consider this as the final taste test: If you wouldn't eat the food, don't expect your animal companion to eat it!

Ann Martin is considered an international authority on the problems with commercial pet foods. Her investigations into the commercial pet food industry are included in her bestselling books, Food Pets Die For: Shocking Facts about Pet Food (NewSage Press, revised 2003) and Protect Your Pet: More Shocking Facts (NewSage Press 2001).

Sometimes,things in life are out of our control. We just need to accept the fact.
Rocky, Ricky and Rusty is my best friend.
Old 10-29-2008, 11:24 AM
Pets Are NOT Disposable

Quote:
Originally Posted by dog is my buddy View Post
Some of you may make the extra effort to cook for your animal companions, which means that you'll know exactly what goes into their food bowls. And for those of you who cannot cook for your dogs, you can learn to read labels and purchase pet food from small, responsible companies that can assure you that their foods only contain human-grade ingredients. What ever route you take, consider this as the final taste test: If you wouldn't eat the food, don't expect your animal companion to eat it!
Yes, DIMB, Aflatoxin is also the culprit found in our many of our bad peanuts known to cause cancer in humans.

And yes, tasting our pet food is very necessary. The other day I was in a store where the tokay was touting the goodness of a certain brand which I found tasted less than fresh even though the expiry date has a whole year to go.

I pushed a kibble towards his mouth inviting him to taste it himself.

To my surprise, he stepped back in horror !!
Old 10-29-2008, 11:42 AM
PetFinder Moderator

dog is my buddy has disabled reputation

Dirty Little Secret the Pet Food Companies NEVER Want you know. Include you loving brands, Don't said the brands is good.
Pet food industry critics note that many of the ingredients (such as corn syrup and corn gluten meal) used as humectants to prevent oxidation also bind water molecules in such a way that the food actually sticks to the animal's colon and may cause blockage. Blockage of the colon may cause an increased risk of cancer of the colon or rectum. Two-thirds of the pet food manufactured in the United States contains synthetic preservatives added by the manufacturer. Of the remaining third, 90 percent includes ingredients already stabilized by synthetic preservatives. Because most pet food contains large percentages of added fat, a stabilizer is needed to maintain the quality of the food. Sodium nitrite, often used as a coloring agent, fixative, and preservative, has the ability to combine with natural stomach and food chemicals (secondary amends) to create nitrosamines, powerful cancer-causing agents, according to A Consumer's Dictionary of Food Additives.
Many pet foods advertised as preservative-free do not contain preservatives. Almost all rendered meats have synthetic preservatives added as stabilizer, but manufacturers aren't required to list preservatives they themselves haven't added. Premixed vitamin additives can also contain preservatives. In the 1003 Journal of the American Veterinary Medical Association, veterinarian Philip Roudebush reported finding low concentrations of synthetic antioxidant preservatives in all analyzed samples of products labeled as chemical free or all-natural. Other types of additives depend on whether the pet food is semi-moist, dry or canned. Because semi-moist food contains 25-50 percent water, antimicrobial preservatives must be used. Propylene glycol was frequently used in cat food until it was pulled in 1992 for causing a variety of health problems. Processing greatly alters the nutritional value of the food ingredients. Veterinarian R. L. Wysong states in Rationale for Animal Nutrition: Processing is the wild card in nutritional value that is, by and large, simply ignored. Heating, freezing, dehydrating, canning, extruding, pelleting, baking and so forth, are so commonplace that they are simply thought of as synonymous with food itself. Because the ingredients that pet food companies use are not wholesome, and harsh manufacturing practices destroy what little nutritional value the food may have had in the first place, the final product must be fortified with vitamins and minerals.

Sometimes,things in life are out of our control. We just need to accept the fact.
Rocky, Ricky and Rusty is my best friend.
Old 10-29-2008, 01:35 PM
Banned

abgraldo is an unknown quantity at this point

Ishh.. Hehe. Korang ni tak bole Pakcu tersilap cakap sikit.. hehe. Tapi kalau jadi apa salahnya kan. Ooopps sorry catmother.. just joking. What i mean is you be the caretaker of my anak2bulus, not me...
Yer.. pakcu bujang lagi, tapi dah tuer ler.. ada ker lg org nak nih..hehe..

Back to the topic : Ye ler, nak beritau serba sedikit of what u've done tu bole tapi jgn la sampai bragging. Nak beritau org yg kucing u makan itu ini and guna litter itu ini pun bole, but dont condemn others who had their own opinion and their own pockets to look after. Nak advise and encourage other to do as u said pun bole tp kena banyak sabar ler, they all tu bukan nyer lembu bole tarik2 idung. Jgn la kata depa tu macam2 k... Ikhlas dari Pakcu.
Old 10-30-2008, 01:21 AM
Founder, PetFinder.my

AndyKoh has disabled reputation

Hi guys,

I noticed that there's some hostility going around this thread. We are all free to convey our own opinions, but it'd be better if they can be presented in a more friendly and diplomatic manner.

There are inevitably conflicts of opinions and misunderstandings in any community, but let's not get carried away with such matters or further aggravate the situation with personal attacks.

We are all here because we share the same vision of improving animal welfare, and although some people might have their differences in approach or viewpoints, we are nevertheless working towards the same goal, so the least we can do in this tough journey is to give each other some encouragement and support.

I'm sure we can all keep this a friendly forum, right? We've all done a good job, so let's not allow this tiny hiccup to divert us away from our goals.

Thank you!
Old 10-30-2008, 08:51 AM
Pets Are NOT Disposable

Wink Andy Tai Koh, your PetFinder Herd very de waras one!

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyKoh View Post
Hi guys,

I noticed that there's some hostility going around this thread. We are all free to convey our own opinions, but it'd be better if they can be presented in a more friendly and diplomatic manner.

There are inevitably conflicts of opinions and misunderstandings in any community, but let's not get carried away with such matters or further aggravate the situation with personal attacks.

We are all here because we share the same vision of improving animal welfare, and although some people might have their differences in approach or viewpoints, we are nevertheless working towards the same goal, so the least we can do in this tough journey is to give each other some encouragement and support.

I'm sure we can all keep this a friendly forum, right? We've all done a good job, so let's not allow this tiny hiccup to divert us away from our goals.

Thank you!
Don't worry, Andy Tai Koh, your PetFinder Herd all very waras-waras one! We'll be good ... very good ... promise!
Old 10-30-2008, 09:38 AM
PetFinder Guru

hatemetoday is on a distinguished road

ekkhemmmm!! back to topic please...*pegang rotan feeling feeling moderator*
Old 10-30-2008, 10:18 AM
PetFinder Guru

lynielime is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyKoh View Post
Hi guys,

Thank you!
hi andy,
i totally agree with you. perhaps you could remove all the hostile content in this thread. its got nothing whatsoever to do with IAMS and their cruel testing practices. i for one, would like to stay focused on the topic of animal testing. those who are being hostile to each other can continue to do so in private if they so wish. thanks!
Old 10-30-2008, 10:24 AM
Meow's Pets

andy, if i have the mod power then i can moved all those unrelated posting back to where they should be..hehehe
Old 10-30-2008, 07:17 PM
.:: Baby, I dig you! ::.

Location: Subang Jaya, Selangor, Malaysia, World of Animal Lurve...
BabyZee is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to BabyZee

Quote:
Originally Posted by firdaruddin View Post
bukan suka2, tapi sometimes,this is the requirement as a moderator in several big forum..u have to guide other forumner back to the main topic....kalau cakap baik2 pun dah taknak ikut, masa tu la terpaksa garang sedikit..tq

sorry, off topic...this is the last post regarding this...anything else, please continue the discussion in the appropiate thread.
all of the moderator discussion have been moved here..
well not moved actually but the posts are pasted in that thread as the power of miving posts and threads only under the moderators and admins..
so fir jgn confius2 lagi ye...

Neway back to iams, hope everyone has taken their action against iams with the first step of not buying their products anymore..
but if you're in a emegency situation (darurat), such as no other product at that time than maybe using iams until you can get hold of other brands seems ok..

Last edited by BabyZee; 10-30-2008 at 07:33 PM.
Old 10-30-2008, 07:22 PM
Meow's Pets

surely memang tak beli iams...walaupun nampak banyak dijual..entah la..memang tak berminat..hehe