Go

Go Back   PetFinder.my > The Animal Corner > Cats & Kittens > Health, Disease & Diet

Health, Disease & Diet Find out the best tips and practices on managing your cat's diet, health care, and issues with diseases from our community of animal lovers

Old 12-20-2011, 02:04 PM
Animal Lover

Twironnie is on a distinguished road
Question Wet Cat food-Which brand is the best?

Hello everyone,I recently joined petfinder.I have a question here.I recently adopted two kittens.They are 2 months old now,healthy and first vaccination done.I'm in Bayan Lepas,Penang currently.

I am feeding them dry Science Diet-Kittens and wet a/d Prescription Diet(dry food for free feeding,wet food twice a day in small amounts) right now as our vet recommended earlier.The problem is we really can't afford a/d Prescription Diet-RM 8.00 per can !

So any suggestion on good quality wet food for kittens that is slightly cheaper?I was thinking Fancy Feast(i know this REALLY cheap but i don't really know other brands) but I heard the reviews aren't good.Please give me some suggestions on good wet food for kittens and where can I get them in Penang.

tHANK yOU vERY mUCH
Old 12-20-2011, 11:59 PM
PetFinder Guru

Meffy is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Wet Cat food-Which brand is the best?

Hi Twi,

Welcome to Petfinder! :)

I think feeding your kitties a mix of Fancy Feast for breakfast and dinner with Science Plan for free feeding is good enough. They can get added nutrition from SP. I'm doing the same except I'm feeding Whiskas (which is even cheaper) and free feeding with RC Babycat.

Your kitties will be healthy as long as they have their vaccinations, good food and lots of love ^_^

Last edited by Meffy; 12-21-2011 at 12:10 AM.
Old 12-21-2011, 12:12 AM
Animal Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meffy View Post
Hi Twi,

Welcome to Petfinder! :) I'm not an expert on cat food but I'll share what I do to keep within my budget and ensure my kitten gets the nutrition she needs.

When I adopted my kitten about 3 months ago, I started by giving her RC Babycat wet food, which cost RM5.00 per sachet. The tiny can cost RM8.00 and it will only last her a day. It was too expensive for me. Then I changed to Whiskas Junior wet food and bought RC Babycat dry food. What I do is I feed her a small portion of Whiskas Junior for breakfast and dinner. I leave RC for her throughout the day and overnight.

This way, if she's not full from the wet food, then she'll have to eat the RC. She'll also get the added nutrition from RC which is better quality than Whiskas. Now that she's almost 4 months, I've started buying regular Whiskas canned food which is more economical. A medium size can will last me about 3-4 days since I only give her a small portion each feeding.

Hope this helps :)
Dear Meffy,thank you very much for sharing.I'm going to buy them whiskas junior like you did too,I was thinking of doing like how you said,but i wasn't sure,LOL.Thanks to you,I've made up my mind now.I wish all the best for your kitty

Saying thanks again=) My way:Shukriya!
Old 12-21-2011, 12:20 AM
Animal Lover

Thumbs up Re: Wet Cat food-Which brand is the best?

Quote:
Hi Twi,

Welcome to Petfinder! :)

I think feeding your kitties a mix of Fancy Feast for breakfast and dinner with Science Plan for free feeding is good enough. They can get added nutrition from SP. I'm doing the same except I'm feeding Whiskas (which is even cheaper) and free feeding with RC Babycat.

Your kitties will be healthy as long as they have their vaccinations, good food and lots of love ^_^
Oh LOL,I guess you changed your post hunI accidentally quoted the previous post of yours,you deleted it right,sorry lol.Hope you don't mind and your suggestion is really good!
Old 12-21-2011, 10:05 AM
PetFinder Guru

LOL...it's okay. I thought I posted too much that's why I edited it XD

I wish I could feed my kitten dry food only but when I put it down for breakfast, she stares at me as if she's saying, "Hey..this isn't breakfast! This is nibble food. Where's my breakfast?" and won't eat it. I do that if I'm in a hurry. She'll eat it anyway if she's hungry
Old 12-21-2011, 11:48 AM
Animal Lover

Talking Re: Wet Cat food-Which brand is the best?

Quote:
LOL...it's okay. I thought I posted too much that's why I edited it XD

I wish I could feed my kitten dry food only but when I put it down for breakfast, she stares at me as if she's saying, "Hey..this isn't breakfast! This is nibble food. Where's my breakfast?" and won't eat it. I do that if I'm in a hurry. She'll eat it anyway if she's hungry
LOL! It happens to me too.My kittens do the same thing!!Thats why I posted this question in the first place....
Old 12-27-2011, 12:03 PM
PetFinder Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twironnie View Post
LOL! It happens to me too.My kittens do the same thing!!Thats why I posted this question in the first place....
If you add a few pieces of boiled chicken into their Whiskas, they will lick the plate clean. That's what happens with mine. Normally she'll eat a few bites of the Whiskas and come back to continue later. But if I added the chicken shreds, she'll eat all of it at one go. I like that! I also read in one of the threads that chicken liver is also good as occasional treat.
Old 12-27-2011, 12:59 PM
Animal Lover

Thumbs up Re: Wet Cat food-Which brand is the best?

Quote:
If you add a few pieces of boiled chicken into their Whiskas, they will lick the plate clean. That's what happens with mine. Normally she'll eat a few bites of the Whiskas and come back to continue later. But if I added the chicken shreds, she'll eat all of it at one go. I like that! I also read in one of the threads that chicken liver is also good as occasional treat.
Oh,great idea!Wow you are a great help! I'll try that too.BTW I give my kittens whiskas now for breakfast and sp dry food for free feeding and they love it!!They've put on some fat too

Thanks again ya!
Old 02-06-2012, 01:51 PM
PetFinder Guru

Hi,

How are you kitty babies doing now? I assume they must be around 5-6months and pretty big now, huh?
Old 02-06-2012, 06:30 PM
Animal Lover

Hi Meffy!=)

Actually Toby and Jasmine are 3 months + now,LOL=P.Their vaccinations are complete and Toby will be castrated in 2 months time tw.Time flys pretty fast right?Thanks for remembering us!=)))) How are you doing?And your furkid?How old is she now?
Old 02-06-2012, 11:35 PM
PetFinder Guru

Hi,

Glad to hear your furkids are happy and healthy. My cat's name is Meffy. She's about 6 months old and just got spayed last Thursday.

The vet suggested to let her wear an e-collar to prevent her from picking at her stitches. To my surprise, after 5 days only two of her stitches are left. She somehow managed to bend over, even with the restrictive collar and pick them out! I'm relieved that the wound has somewhat dried and there were no infections. And she's gotten so used to wearing the silly collar that it didn't restrict her activities at all.

Her baby teeth fell out 2 days ago. She was trying to chew my hand as usual and it fell off! It was so funny.

Are your kitties still on Science Plan? I just tried Blackwood Kitten last month due to the good reviews here. It costs about the same too

~Sue
Old 02-07-2012, 06:22 PM
Animal Lover

Smile Re: Wet Cat food-Which brand is the best?

Quote:
Hi,

Glad to hear your furkids are happy and healthy. My cat's name is Meffy. She's about 6 months old and just got spayed last Thursday.

The vet suggested to let her wear an e-collar to prevent her from picking at her stitches. To my surprise, after 5 days only two of her stitches are left. She somehow managed to bend over, even with the restrictive collar and pick them out! I'm relieved that the wound has somewhat dried and there were no infections. And she's gotten so used to wearing the silly collar that it didn't restrict her activities at all.

Her baby teeth fell out 2 days ago. She was trying to chew my hand as usual and it fell off! It was so funny.

Are your kitties still on Science Plan? I just tried Blackwood Kitten last month due to the good reviews here. It costs about the same too

~Sue
Oh,glad to hear that Meffy is doing fine.Hope she recovers well.Yup,my kittens are still on sp.=)
Old 02-07-2012, 06:29 PM
Animal Lover

PS: Thanks for sharing your kitty's spaying experience because I'll need all the advise soon when Jasmine get spayed.I'm kinda nervous though.....how long do they have to stay at the vets' post surgery?And anything else I should know?Maybe about diet,or any other restrictions?
Old 02-08-2012, 12:41 AM
PetFinder Guru

Yeah man, I was sooo nervous the night before like it was ME going for operation pulak

First, your kitty will have to fast after 8pm the night before. Only water is allowed. There's no overnight stay. I sent her in the morning at 9am and she was ready for pickup at 12.30pm, which is right after she wakes from the anesthetics. She'll be sleepy and won't have much appetite the rest of the day. If you have a cage, then it's much easier for you to just keep her there. If not then just watch over her and make sure she's comfortable...like give her a soft pillow/bed to lie on.

After about 10 hours, she should be able to walk around a bit. If she's hungry, feed her something. Try not to let her jump or run around too much to help with the healing. By the next day, she should be much better already. Check her wound every morning to make sure she didn't pick out the stitches (like my cat did) and ensure there's no bleeding or pus. The wound should be dry. It takes about a week for the wound to heal.

Normal food is fine but you can give her treats that she likes to make her happy ^_^ Give her lots of love and attention and she'll be back to her normal self in a week.
Old 02-08-2012, 11:52 AM
Animal Lover

Thank you!! I'm feeling calmer now;)
Old 05-17-2012, 06:36 PM
Animal Lover

tiavanhooper is on a distinguished road

Hi,

For me if you have to pay that amount of money u better get something like Innova Evo which consist mainly meat not carbohydrate.

For a cheaper option, you can try Natural Balance which is also good.

I have problem with giving my cat expensive canned food too, so my best bargain is to give my cat mixture of canned food.

Currently I'm giving him Innova Evo mix with (either Natural Balance, Holistic Select, Burp, etc) depends on my monetary condition.
Old 05-31-2012, 10:40 AM
Animal Lover

Isyarina Ishak is on a distinguished road

Hi, for me if you have time to give them raw food, is better to do..or else u can cook for the little one , boiled chicken + brocolli+ carrot which u can find the recipe on the web. Or else Evo is one of the good quality food, normally shop selling price

Evo : RM 9++
Natural Balance : RM5.40
Natures Variety : RM 5.70 & above depends on kind of meat
Addiction : RM 6.40
Wellnees :RM4.90

This is the super premium food for the little one , but actually all process food not 100% healthy , the raw is better :)