Go

Go Back   PetFinder.my > Pet Welfare, Rescue & Adoption > Animal Organizations & Societies > SPCA

SPCA All discussions and information related to the non-profit SPCA organization. SPCA is the Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals.

Old 10-02-2009, 05:51 PM
Animal Lover

jacinta.spca is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Spca ampang in need of more adopters...

OH!

And see you guys at our World Animal Day celebrations this Sunday (4th October) from 3pm-6pm.

We just confirmed a priest from the Sathya Sai Baba Assc to conduct prayers for the animals while the candles are being lit. Also, come early and grab 50 free neutering vouchers from the SPCA Klinik Kembiri booth!

Yummy vegetarian food too!

Really looking forward to meeting you guys, would be nice to put a face to a name!

More info at spca.org.my

xoxo,
J
Old 10-03-2009, 10:48 AM
Petfinder Moderator

Maneki Neko is on a distinguished road

Jacinta,

Count me as one of the people giving you a virtual pat on the back or bouquet of flowers. Several points in your post below hit me like bricks:

600-700 animals showing up at SPCA per month? And nearly half of them surrendered by owners. THAT is heart-breaking. How can anyone read a number like that and simultaneously grouse about the euthanasia rate? Yes, in a better world, there would be more spaying/neutering, people would understand that it takes consistent work and training with pets to avoid unwanted behaviors, and so on. I very much admire the people like Chan Kah Yein (among others) who are working hard on TNR and no-kill tactics, but until the number of homeless animals drops significantly, I fear euthanasia rates won't drop, either. There simply are not enough good homes, especially for dogs, and I agree with you that the city streets are no good place to be a stray. My heart goes out to you and the others at SPCA who are dealing with this issue on a daily basis.

On a positive note, cheers for your re-adoption scheme, trading spay/neuter discounts for keeping a pet. It's a great idea, and I hope it works to send a lot of animals back out through your gates.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacinta.spca View Post
Hi guys,

Heard a lot about this thread, so just dropping in to say hi ;)

To clarify a few things first;

Shahrul is not a volunteer, but a paid staff of SPCA Selangor as of 6 months ago.

Someone asked an interesting question about the source of animals at SPCA Selangor. Our recent analysis shows that a little more than 40% are surrendered by owners, 50% are strays, and 10% are lost or cruelty case dogs. We're receiving between 600-700 animals per month on average.

Really nice to see that everyone is so passionate about TNR, no-kill and generally saving animals. Really encouraging to see. Please trust us when we say that the staff and volunteers at SPCA Selangor have the same interests, but we are dealing with overwhelming numbers being surrendered.

At present, only SPCA Selangor and PAWS run shelters with an Open Door policy in the Klang Valley- meaning we accept all animals. We impose surrender fees for owned animals, but not for strays (though you are encouraged to donate if you can afford it). Regardless of whether the owner pays or not, we still take in the animal. We actively counsel over the phone, e-mail and at the shelter for people to find alternative homes, neuter & release, or to address behavioural problems (which is why many owners want to surrender their aggressive/ destructive animals).

In many cases we now also offer a re-adoption scheme, whereby they are offered low-cost spay-neuter for the pet they wanted to give up. Many people surrender their pets when they start having too many, or their pets start fighting, becoming territiorial/ aggressive, peeing on the curtains, etc. People are now taking to the offer more and more - offering them a low-cost neuter and giving them back their pet, instead of taking the animal in and them paying the surrender fee.

On a more personal note, one thing that is being said over and over here and in other forums that really, really irks me. "I really wanted to save this animal, but I had no choice but to give it to SPCA/PAWS and they cruelly put it to sleep".

Everyone has a choice.

No space? Board the animal, and find a home for it.

No money? Pool funds with your family or friends and have it treated at a vet.

No time? Find someone who has the time, come to petfinder.my and ask the forummers for help.

Don't take the easy way out and leave it at a shelter, and then condemn the shelter when they are forced to euthanise the animal. You have the power to help one animal, certainly.

All SPCA staff who rescue animals don't dump them at the shelter - we actually foster, treat and rehome the animals at our own homes with our own resources - or we find someone who can foster and care for the animals. To us, its clear that the shelter is already overwhelmed so why add on to the burden?

As for TNR, its a really good concept - unfortunately one that is not very viable in a local context most of the time. It's a good idea to neuter and release cats in areas where they are cared for, but generally all strays are not tolerated by residents and municipal councils. We have hundreds of reports of abused strays (hot water, beaten to death, strangled kittens, drowned puppies, poisoned stray dogs) and also many of them fall victim to diseases, injuries, car accidents and die slow painful deaths. Unless someone is actively looking out for these neutered strays, its not advisable to just leave them to their own fates on the streets. You guys are also probably aware that the municipals catch stray dogs and pups regularly, but you should also know that many of them are starting to catch cats and kittens too.

Just my two cents worth, think Sharul is doing a good job of keeping everyone here informed of our work and clarifying all the issues that have cropped up.

It's really not easy to work in SPCA, but we take our jobs seriously.

Sometimes we get pats on the back, sometimes we get yelled at, sometimes a bouquet of flowers. Sometimes we get a photo of a happy animal we rehomed, sometimes we feel like pulling our hair out, sometimes we feel really misunderstood. At the end of the day, someone has to do "the dirty work".

While many people grouse about animal shelters, we still have other work like our dedicated neutering clinic, government lobbying, education & community outreach, and assisting animal rescuers with low-cost neutering, daily emergency pick-ups/rescues, and inspection & action on cruelty complaints. We are the only animal welfare organisation who has this full set of services in Malaysia.

Many of you seem to be doing really excellent work for the animals, its really so motivating to see these changes happening. Also - and I have to say this - some of you are really coming off as armchair activists. You really need to stop philosophizing, get away from the computer and do something useful with all that energy.

*smiles and hugs*

J

Oh. and again, special shout out to Lynette - who is always just a phone call or text away when we need help with fostering, emergency pick-up, and with events. Thats really passion in action to me.
Old 10-06-2009, 01:18 PM
PetFinder Guru

melmel is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by jacinta.spca View Post
Hi guys,

Heard a lot about this thread, so just dropping in to say hi ;)

To clarify a few things first;

Shahrul is not a volunteer, but a paid staff of SPCA Selangor as of 6 months ago.

Someone asked an interesting question about the source of animals at SPCA Selangor. Our recent analysis shows that a little more than 40% are surrendered by owners, 50% are strays, and 10% are lost or cruelty case dogs. We're receiving between 600-700 animals per month on average.

Really nice to see that everyone is so passionate about TNR, no-kill and generally saving animals. Really encouraging to see. Please trust us when we say that the staff and volunteers at SPCA Selangor have the same interests, but we are dealing with overwhelming numbers being surrendered.

At present, only SPCA Selangor and PAWS run shelters with an Open Door policy in the Klang Valley- meaning we accept all animals. We impose surrender fees for owned animals, but not for strays (though you are encouraged to donate if you can afford it). Regardless of whether the owner pays or not, we still take in the animal. We actively counsel over the phone, e-mail and at the shelter for people to find alternative homes, neuter & release, or to address behavioural problems (which is why many owners want to surrender their aggressive/ destructive animals).

In many cases we now also offer a re-adoption scheme, whereby they are offered low-cost spay-neuter for the pet they wanted to give up. Many people surrender their pets when they start having too many, or their pets start fighting, becoming territiorial/ aggressive, peeing on the curtains, etc. People are now taking to the offer more and more - offering them a low-cost neuter and giving them back their pet, instead of taking the animal in and them paying the surrender fee.

On a more personal note, one thing that is being said over and over here and in other forums that really, really irks me. "I really wanted to save this animal, but I had no choice but to give it to SPCA/PAWS and they cruelly put it to sleep".

Everyone has a choice.

No space? Board the animal, and find a home for it.

No money? Pool funds with your family or friends and have it treated at a vet.

No time? Find someone who has the time, come to petfinder.my and ask the forummers for help.

Don't take the easy way out and leave it at a shelter, and then condemn the shelter when they are forced to euthanise the animal. You have the power to help one animal, certainly.

All SPCA staff who rescue animals don't dump them at the shelter - we actually foster, treat and rehome the animals at our own homes with our own resources - or we find someone who can foster and care for the animals. To us, its clear that the shelter is already overwhelmed so why add on to the burden?

As for TNR, its a really good concept - unfortunately one that is not very viable in a local context most of the time. It's a good idea to neuter and release cats in areas where they are cared for, but generally all strays are not tolerated by residents and municipal councils. We have hundreds of reports of abused strays (hot water, beaten to death, strangled kittens, drowned puppies, poisoned stray dogs) and also many of them fall victim to diseases, injuries, car accidents and die slow painful deaths. Unless someone is actively looking out for these neutered strays, its not advisable to just leave them to their own fates on the streets. You guys are also probably aware that the municipals catch stray dogs and pups regularly, but you should also know that many of them are starting to catch cats and kittens too.

Just my two cents worth, think Sharul is doing a good job of keeping everyone here informed of our work and clarifying all the issues that have cropped up.

It's really not easy to work in SPCA, but we take our jobs seriously.

Sometimes we get pats on the back, sometimes we get yelled at, sometimes a bouquet of flowers. Sometimes we get a photo of a happy animal we rehomed, sometimes we feel like pulling our hair out, sometimes we feel really misunderstood. At the end of the day, someone has to do "the dirty work".

While many people grouse about animal shelters, we still have other work like our dedicated neutering clinic, government lobbying, education & community outreach, and assisting animal rescuers with low-cost neutering, daily emergency pick-ups/rescues, and inspection & action on cruelty complaints. We are the only animal welfare organisation who has this full set of services in Malaysia.

Many of you seem to be doing really excellent work for the animals, its really so motivating to see these changes happening. Also - and I have to say this - some of you are really coming off as armchair activists. You really need to stop philosophizing, get away from the computer and do something useful with all that energy.
Well said, Jacinta. Million thks to Klinik Kembiri of SPCA ( a super low-cost neuter-spay clinic that subsidised by SPCA), which supports my TNR mission for d past 3 yrs. Million thks 2 SPCA, by rehoming my countless rescued dogs /cats for d past 6 yrs. Million thks 2 SPCA by attending & solving many of my animal cruelty cases.

Last edited by melmel; 10-08-2009 at 11:51 AM.
Old 10-10-2009, 12:04 PM
PetFinder Guru

Star 10 Oct 2009 Sat

Animal clinic

SPCA Selangor, in collaboration with City Hall (DBKL) set up the first ever dedicated spay-neuter clinic in Malaysia in 2003 to address the stray population crisis.

The DBKL-SPCA Klinik Kembiri is based in Setapak, and has neutered more than 12,000 pets and strays to date — preventing the births of more than 20 million unwanted kittens and puppies. The low-cost, high-volume clinic is subsidised by sponsors such as HSBC Bank Malaysia, Metrogen Sdn Bhd and Petra Perdana.

Fees for cats
Female

Spay: RM60

Pregnant: RM70

Male
Castration: RM40

Fees for dogs
Female

Spay: RM90

Pregnant: RM100

Male
Castration: RM60

contact DBKL-SPCA Klinik Kembiri, Pusat Kurungan Haiwan, Jabatan Kesihatan DBKL, Jalan Air Jerneh, Air Panas, Setapak 53200, Kuala Lumpur or call (03) 4024 3446 (Office), 012-2581041 (G. R. Krishnan) or e-mail: klinikkembiri@spca.org.my

Last edited by melmel; 10-10-2009 at 12:16 PM.
Old 10-10-2009, 01:55 PM
PetFinder Guru

Star 10 Oct 2009 Sat

Spaying or neutering can increase your pet’s life span.

The Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (SPCA) Selangor recently released a video commercial to build awareness to spay or neuter pets, featuring the highest-ranked non-breed obedience champion Duke the Dog, once an abused dog afraid of humans.

Duke’s story
The brown dog featured in this commercial is Duke, owned by Richard Gardner and Chae Lian of theatre production company Gardner & Wife. Duke’s story is a heart-rending, yet ultimately uplifting one.

Five years ago, Richard was out walking near his house when he came upon a stray dog. It had an iron chain tightly wrapped around its neck, and the end of the chain had caught on a bush. The chain had cut into the dog’s neck so badly that it was infested with maggots. The dog was horribly starved and looked like it had been beaten. Clearly, it had escaped an abusive owner.

The dog was terrified of humans and would attempt to flee at anyone’s approach, causing the chain to cut even further into its neck. By offering food and water, Richard finally managed to release him from the chain. It promptly ran away, and it seemed likely that it would just find itself a quiet place to die.

Not long after, this dog appeared outside Richard’s gate — having somehow tracked down where Richard lives. It was still afraid of people, but with his neighbours’ help, Richard continued to feed it.

Slowly, the couple got close enough to apply antiseptic to the wounds on its neck, and it began to regain its health. It took to guarding Richard’s car.

Finally, Richard and Chae decided to adopt the dog, and named him Duke. The vet put him at around five years old. Richard took Duke to a dog training centre. It wasn’t easy training him, but he slowly learned. In fact, since 2005, Duke has been winning obedience trials at dog shows, and is currently the highest-ranked non-breed obedience champ — proving that you can actually teach an old dog new tricks.

And now, Duke is the star of this video commercial (view at http://www.youtube.com/user/DukeTheStory) in support of SPCA Selangor.

The other dog in this ad is Winter, another adopted stray. It was Chae who found her in the middle of the road near their house, and took her in as well.

Duke and Winter now live together happily with Richard and Chae.

The commercial was produced by SPCA Selangor to build awareness of the need to spay and neuter pets.

Be part of the solution

Thousands of stray animals and unwanted litters face euthanasia or are suffering on the streets. Starting with two cats, you can end up with as many as 20,000 kittens and cats in a matter of seven years.

Spaying or neutering is the most humane, effective, sustainable way to reduce the millions of unwanted companion animals, borne out of owners’ procrastination, negligence, ignorance and unwillingness to pay for the operation” says SPCA Selangor chairperson, Christine Chin.

SPCA Selangor has been on a gruelling journey towards achieving their Non-Kill Movement and Stray-Free Malaysia 2010 goals.

The Non-Kill Movement aims to reduce to zero the unwanted killing of healthy pets that do not have a home and the Stray-Free Malaysia drive is to educate pet owners to spay or neuter their pets to help control the number of strays.

In the advertisement, Duke is shown rushing to the store to buy a pack of condoms and then rushes back to his “girlfriend” Winter. The commercial was produced pro bono by the Grey Group KL advertising company.

Advantages of prevention
The most obvious reason for spaying or neutering your pet is to prevent overpopulation, however, there are other benefits particularly related to your pet’s health.

Spaying, or ovariohysterectom, is the surgical removal of a female pet’s ovaries and uterus. Female dogs encounter heat periods twice a year and it usually lasts around three weeks per period.

Female cats on the other hand are on heat every two to three weeks. Dogs and cats will become more irritable and nervous during heat and may become aggressive.

Spaying can prevent pregnancies or pregnancy complications which can end tragically. It also eliminates physical stress for female pets. Other benefits of spaying your female pet include:

·It eliminates unwanted attention from male pets while your female pet is in heat.

·No spotting during the heat period.

·Prevents false pregnancies.

·Reduces the risk of mammary tumours.

·Completely eliminates uterine infections.

·Reduces the risk of tumours forming in the ovaries or uterus.

·Reduces the risk of TVT, a sexually transmitted cancer.

·Reduces stress and decreases susceptibility to diseases.

Neutering, or castration, is the surgical removal of your pet’s testicles. Male pets benefit even more than female pets when you neuter them. Your un-neutered male pet will get an overwhelming urge to reproduce and will start roaming to detect female pets in heat.

Neutering decreases roaming by 90%. This will prevent your male pet from getting into fights with other pets, or get lost while roaming. There are many benefits from neutering your male pets:

·Prevents your male pets from fighting which leads to wounds and infections.

·Eliminates marking of territory by urine spraying and reduces odour.

·Prevents roaming and automobile accidents.

·Reduces the risk of prostate enlargement, tumours and infections.

·Completely eliminates the risk of testicular cancer.

·Reduces the risk of perineal hernia (rupture of the posterior abdominal wall).

·Reduces the risk of TVT, a sexually transmitted cancer.

·Reduces stress and decreases susceptibility to diseases.
Old 10-13-2009, 04:42 PM
PetFinder Buddy

baca882004 is on a distinguished road

My Goodness. I watched the commercial and it's really good. Duke is such a clever fella.
Old 11-04-2009, 01:30 PM
PetFinder Guru

Pets steal the glam

2010 Animal Charity calendar launched in PJ

SEVERAL Malaysian celebrities have lent a hand to champion the cause of animal rights by taking part in the publication of the 2010 Animal Charity calendar, which was launched in Petaling Jaya yesterday.

The project is led by Amber Chia and K.L. Yeam of Digital Imaging Publication Sdn Bhd. Chia said as a model, businesswoman and animal lover, she has harboured a long-time desire to use her public persona to work with charities in aid of animals.

The concept for a charity calendar was born after a conversation with Yeam, whose company is the publisher of Pets Lover magazine. Their shared passion for animals led to the making of the animalcharity calendar.

Present at the launch were representatives from the Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals (SPCA) and Malaysian National Animal Welfare Foundation (MNAWF).

With the motto “We Care; We Love; We Support”, the calendar features Chia and television host, actress and radio deejay Jojo Struys; radio and TV personality Serena C, as well as Chinese TV host and actress Angel Wong Chui Ling — all of whom gave their time to do a photo shoot with their beloved pets.

“When I asked Jojo, Serena and Angel to join in and create this calendar, they immediately agreed,” said Chia.

“It was a pleasure working with them. Taking pictures with animals is way harder than a normal photo shoot. It takes more shots to get the desired results,” she said.

Chia shares her home with three dogs, whom she regards as her best friends.

Struys believes that having pets helps to inculcate good moral values. “Animals give you so much love and it’s only fitting that you treat them with respect,” Struys said.

Since childhood, she has cared for canine pets of every imaginable breed. She currently owns three pugs, a breed which she only recently developed an interest in.

“I never really liked pugs in the past. But one day, I came across one and realised that they have a lot of character. Now I’m in love with them,” she said.

Wong also shared her experience with her pet at the launch. “My dog, Fatty, is of mixed breed. The father is an Irish setter while the mother is a bull terrier. Fatty is lucky to have been brought up in a good home, but most mixed-breed dogs don’t fare so well. They often end up as strays,” she said.

Wong believes that the value of a pet is not in its pedigree, but rather its relationship with the owner.

“You can always adopt a pet from a shelter,” she added. Yeam aims to make this calendar an annual project, having seen the positive feedback from celebrity friends. “Hopefully, we can get more celebrities to join in and support the cause next year,” said Yeam.

Digital Imaging Publication will produce 10,000 copies of the Animal Charity calendar, available for sale in most bookstores at RM19.90 each. For every calendar purchased, RM5 will go to SPCA and another RM5 will be donated to MNAWF.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Amber.jpg
Views:	91
Size:	26.8 KB
ID:	7691   Click image for larger version

Name:	Struys.jpg
Views:	114
Size:	19.5 KB
ID:	7692  
Old 11-04-2009, 01:33 PM
PetFinder Guru

Get them spayed in Shah Alam next year
SEEKING to neutralise the problem of stray animals, three local councils — Petaling Jaya, Shah Alam and Subang Jaya — will jointly set up an animal neuter clinic in Shah Alam, which is expected to be ready early next year.

“The public will just have to pay a nominal fee to use the facilities for pets like cats and dogs,” said PJ council canine advisory team chairman, Anthony Thanasayan.

The facility was highlighted at the Petaling Jaya City Council full board meeting on Wednesday. The team, spearheaded by the PJ council, was set up late last year and comprises representatives from all 12 councils
in Selangor, with the objective of addressing animal issues humanely and coming up with ideas pertaining to animal welfare.

Issues include how these animals should be caught and treated. The team also aims to educate pet owners on animal care in their homes.

Anthony said the council has received complaints that some owners deliberately allowed their dogs unleashed and unaccompanied outside their homes.

Some of these dogs ended up being poisoned and run down by vehicles. “The safety of the dog must be
in the minds of the owners and it must be leashed the minute it steps out of the compound. For this reason, we are looking into ways to penalise owners for being inconsiderate to the animals and the neighbourhood.

“The penalty and law which will be applied is currently being discussed. If the owners can’t assure its safety, then it is best they don’t keep a pet.”
Old 12-03-2009, 03:12 PM
PetFinder Guru

SPCA Notice Board

MissionHELP : Seremban

Great news! After several visits and months of counseling, Mr Ng from Seremban has agreed to neuter his male dogs!

On Thursday, the Animal Inspectors Cunera and Murugan visited his residence along with our vet Dr Karen and intern Karolina. Upon a closer check by Dr Karen, the dogs appeared to be in good condition generally, though several were suffering from skin problems. We donated 6 big bags of dog food for the 35 dogs he is caring for, and also medicated the dogs with the skin problems and one dog with an eye infection.

Over the years Mr Ng has faced countless issues with the local council (Majlis Perbandaran Seremban) for having too many dogs on his premises. The SPCA team advised him to control the number of dogs, and not to take in any more dogs for the time being as he is financially unstable and facing complaints from the neighbours. Mr Ng said he will reduce the amount of dogs in his home and rehome them at his work-place, a birds-nest farm nearby – to avoid further conflicts with his neighbours.

Initially vehemently against neutering male dogs, Mr Ng has now given in and allowed us to make arrangements for a MissionHELP neutering program for his dogs. We hope to carry out this operation in December, in collaboration with the team from the DBKL-SPCA Klinik Kembiri.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	seremban.jpg
Views:	132
Size:	27.3 KB
ID:	8206  
Old 12-03-2009, 04:56 PM
i'm da devil.....

jenn is on a distinguished road

GREAT JOB!!!!!!
Old 12-06-2009, 02:20 PM
PetFinder Guru

SPCA Press Release

KLANG DOG POUND : IS THIS YOUR DOG?

1 DECEMBER, KLANG – Majlis Perbandaran Klang (MPK) is urging dog-owners and animal rescuers to come forward to claim more than 40 dogs in their dog pound, caught by their dog-catchers one week ago. The municipal had contacted SPCA Selangor and requested for help in creating awareness about the plight of the pound dogs, as their time was quickly running out.

The dogs were caught in the Bayu Perdana, Jalan Meru and Bandar Baru Klang area. Many of the dogs were wearing collars and were in good condition – they seemed to be lost or straying pets. The others appeared to be strays or long-abandoned pets, they are in poor condition – emaciated, infested with ticks and with skin problems. Both pet and stray dogs appeared to be distressed – the pound was the last place on earth where they wanted to be.

The SPCA Selangor Inspectors and vet visited the pound on Tuesday, bringing with them 2 big bags of dog food and medication. The dogs were being fed bread and water daily and the kennels were cleaned out by the staff.

MPK and SPCA Selangor have agreed that it will impose compulsory neutering as a condition of release for the claimed dogs – to prevent unwanted litters in the future. Owners can claim their dogs until the 9th of December 2009, after which the dogs will be open for adoption to animal rescuers and animal lovers until the 14th of December 2009. There will be a discounted rate on the reclaimation fee for all dogs.

Unclaimed dogs will be euthanized on the 15th of December 2009.

Please contact En Zakaria from MPK at 016-3864459 for enquiries on claiming the dogs or e-mail kesihatan@mpklang.gov.my CA

Notes : pix 1 -This dog gazes out expectantly, hoping that his owner will come to get him out

Pix 2 -Many of the strays have skin problems and are emaciated

Pix 3 - Pet and stray dogs are waiting for a second chance at the MPK Pound
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	klang 1.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	22.4 KB
ID:	8293   Click image for larger version

Name:	klang 2.jpg
Views:	159
Size:	22.1 KB
ID:	8294   Click image for larger version

Name:	klang 3.jpg
Views:	106
Size:	17.2 KB
ID:	8295  
Old 12-07-2009, 05:50 AM
PetFinder Guru

Suhaimy is on a distinguished road

I am new but how can i help?
Old 12-07-2009, 01:00 PM
PetFinder Guru

where do u stay ? Klang ?
Old 12-08-2009, 12:37 AM
PetFinder Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by melmel View Post
where do u stay ? Klang ?
If the ques for me, from Cheras/Ampang (border of DBKL & MPAJ)
Old 12-08-2009, 11:55 AM
PetFinder Guru

oni hatamah is on a distinguished road

Hai

I am interested to help too, I am from Ukay Perdana Area.
Old 12-09-2009, 02:58 PM
PetFinder Guru

oni hatamah,

I ve pm my h/p no 2 u, pls check
Old 12-09-2009, 02:58 PM
PetFinder Guru

Su,
Pls check my h/p no. in ur pvt mesage
Old 12-09-2009, 10:18 PM
PetFinder Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by melmel View Post
Su,
Pls check my h/p no. in ur pvt mesage
Need to call eh? Cannot tell here? Will doit2. At office hours?
Old 12-15-2009, 01:32 PM
PetFinder Guru

MalayMail

NO CHEER FOR PETS

Pet dumping up 40 per cent at festive seasons

CHIN: Abandoned pets, a sad trend at festivals
AMPANG: Christmas is the season to be jolly but sadly this festive season, many of our furry friends might find themselves with nothing to purr about.

While many Malaysians are preparing for Christmas, the Society for the Prevention of Cruelty to Animals Selangor (SPCA) — on the other hand — is preparing to receive more abandoned dogs and cats.

That is because many Malaysians tend to abandon pets during festive seasons revealed SPCA chairman Christine Chin, who told The Malay Mail the number of abandoned pets increases by 30 to 40 per cent.

"This has sadly been the trend all these years. As it is, the number of abandoned pets we receive each month of around 700 is already considered high."

She said of the 700 pets surrendered to the shelter each month, 40 per cent were brought in by owners who do not want the animals anymore.

"On top of that, during Christmas, Hari Raya, Chinese New Year and such, we always see a spike of 30 to 40 per cent in animal surrenders. The owners tell us their financial situations have changed or their pet has given birth or claim other reasons why they can no longer keep the animals."

Chin also said during festive seasons many families with pets prepare to 'balik kampung' and do not know what to do with their dogs or cats. So, they either surrender them to SPCA, throw them on the streets to fend for themselves or leave them behind with a pile of food, if at all.

Many, she said, found kennels were expensive and found it easier to dump their pets. Chin said there have even been cases of expensive pedigree dogs abandoned.

As much as SPCA advocates adopting dogs, Chin urged people to be more responsible and advised them to think carefully before deciding to keep a pet.

"Please be more responsible. Don't take it in and then realise you cannot cope with the responsibilities that come with it or that you cannot afford to keep a dog. Don't then take the easy way out and just abandon it on the street or surrender it to us.

"People should think twice before surrendering the animals. They probably think by sending us the animal, they are being responsible as we can help re-home the pet.

"But, that is not the case as we already have too many animals here. Even the 700 pets we receive a month is a lot and we are barely able to house them."

She advised those who find they can no longer keep pets to source alternate housing if they felt kennels or vets were too expensive.

She suggested owners ask friends or a relative to care for and feed their pets while they are away on 'balik kampung' trips or vacations.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	malaymail.jpg
Views:	103
Size:	15.6 KB
ID:	8484  
Old 12-15-2009, 07:19 PM
PetFinder Buddy

neems is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to neems

I really want to adopt a dog and do some volunteer work at SPCA. Can someone provide me with more information? Thanks. :)