Go

Go Back   PetFinder.my > The Animal Corner > Cats & Kittens

Cats & Kittens General information and discussions on taking care of your feline buddy

Old 11-22-2010, 02:58 PM
PetFinder Guru

Marcelleve is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Marcelleve Send a message via Yahoo to Marcelleve Send a message via Skype™ to Marcelleve
Exclamation Link : For more information about taking care of your cats

Please visit : http://cats.about.com/od/catcare/u/CatBasics.htm
If you like best food for your cats (click):
http://naturapet.com/
If you like to compare brands of cat food from A- Z:
http://cats.about.com/cs/catfood/a/blmanu_ac.htm
Old 11-22-2010, 07:22 PM
Petfinder Moderator

Maneki Neko is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Link : For more information about taking care of your cats

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcelleve View Post
[B]Please visit :
If you like to compare brands of cat food from A- Z:
http://cats.about.com/cs/catfood/a/blmanu_ac.htm
Hi, Marcelleve --

I agree that it's a great idea for us all to inform ourselves as much as possible about the different types of pet foods that are available.

I would only point out that the link above is very US-centric -- it highlights products sold in America. That doesn't mean that the information isn't valid, of course, but people may have difficulty finding many of these brands here. The list also neglects to mention many of the high-quality brands that we do see here, like Orijen, Addiction, Blackwood, etc. :-)
Old 11-23-2010, 03:07 AM
PetFinder Guru

Marcelleve is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Marcelleve Send a message via Yahoo to Marcelleve Send a message via Skype™ to Marcelleve
Smile Re: Link : For more information about taking care of your cats

Hi,
Thank you for your reply. I appreciate it.
As a matter of fact, you have a point there but since the incident happened with Orijen in Australia, some pet owners/ pet food reviewers avoid it even if it is hollistic and as of Blackwood, they have contents that is questionable for people like me (ingredients used are still under debate, though) anyway, onion or garlic and yeasts are no-no for daily consume- it should be lessen ...

Also can check from KL site forum : http://forum.lowyat.net/topic/1232872/+1840 or
http://www.dogfoodadvisor.com/dog-fo...-dog-food-dry/ ,BW are level with premium brand as it is level with RC, IAMS etc.. but not with hollistic or natural pet food.

Addiction is quite new though but got good ratings so far... maybe it will be update on 2011.
Evo/Innova, Avoderm, Wellness and Natural Balance are always making one of the top 5 in natural and best food for cats/dogs. Of course, mostly are hard to find in groceries or pet shops 'coz they are not commercialized pet food only available in some pet shops while other vets encourage people to use wet food and natural diets more rather than kibbles or canned food lessen any illness, allergies and more life span to pets.

Personally, I use only kibbles as a snack (2 tbsp per serving 2x a day mixed with Avoderm & Nutriedge) and for pet food in can maybe 2 - 3 x a week (I'm using Natural Balance and Evo), the rest is our own cat menu (sometimes my neighbor and vet gave it to me) which is boiled mostly (it depends 'coz it's cook a long with our meal - boil raw meat or bone first then set aside what is mine and what's for my pet before putting our food with spices - esp. if we ate soup that day or steamed fish) or to make a fish or chicken stock for gravy or sauces> for my kitty, we use yogurt or pumpkin or potato or sweet potato or banana or celery/parsley and flax seed , 1-2 tbsp of olive oil to avoid fur ball problem, blended it until puree as her sauce with the meat or with bone (it makes about 1/8 - 1/4 of glass of sauce just to add taste with her meat) and we do not use soya or rice - they are good for us but not for our pets.
We don't have problem with smelly stool and less poo/wee - not too soft or too dry poo.
Actually my kitten have dry/flaky skin problem (some group of hair fallin' out) but resolve it within 3 days, balance her intake in kibbles/canned food more on her natural food.
I can share our cat menu to you.

I think people should ought for more organic and balance diet less junk or fast food for themselves and for their pets which are lacking right now due to busy schedule but actually with proper procedure and time management it doesn't cost that much or waste any valuable time and money.

Anyway, to process a pet food that has a shelf life must have preservatives.
My parents' pets are on Barf diet which really need time, good research and understanding.

Here are the simple guidelines which we have been using previous years and currently with our baby Ashanta:

GUIDELINES
What To Look For:

1.Whole protein sources (chicken, beef, turkey, etc tuna should be lessen due to high sodium.) or meals made from single, whole protein sources (chicken meal, beef meal, turkey meal, etc.)
2. Whole, unprocessed grains, vegetables, and fruits
First 2 ingredients – One (or more) of the first two ingredients should be a whole protein source.

What To Avoid:

Meat By-Products
1. Generic Fats or Proteins – For example, “animal protein” or “poultry protein”
2. Food Fragments – For example, “brewers rice” or “wheat bran”
3. Artificial Preservatives – including BHA, BHT, and Ethoxyquin*
4. Artificial Colors*
5. Propylene Glycol – added to some foods to keep them chewy and moist
6. Sweeteners
*(sometimes not included but can see from ingredients are :artificial preservatives or coloring.)

For additional info.:
http://www.sniksnak.com/ac/petfood.html
http://www.catinfo.org/#Learn_How_To_Rea…

Hope this helps.
Thank you very much.
Best regards,
Eve
Quote:
Originally Posted by Maneki Neko View Post
Hi, Marcelleve --

I agree that it's a great idea for us all to inform ourselves as much as possible about the different types of pet foods that are available.

I would only point out that the link above is very US-centric -- it highlights products sold in America. That doesn't mean that the information isn't valid, of course, but people may have difficulty finding many of these brands here. The list also neglects to mention many of the high-quality brands that we do see here, like Orijen, Addiction, Blackwood, etc. :-)

Last edited by Marcelleve; 11-23-2010 at 03:13 AM.