Go

Go Back   PetFinder.my > Pet Welfare, Rescue & Adoption > General Discussion

General Discussion General information and discuss on animal rescue, adoption and advocacy

Old 11-17-2011, 02:58 PM
Animal Lover

cookiethedog is on a distinguished road
Default dog relocation

We will be migrating to Melbourne soon and we wish to relocate our silky terrier dog there. A ex-vet doc quoted us RM5 000 excluding the quarantine in Melbourne. Another lady recommended by my family vet always make appointments with me but never turn up. When i call her, line not answered. I am frustrated now. Who can recommend me a doctor who charge reasonably and can assist me to send my dog to AUstralia. I don't want a bogus one whon collect my money and my dog also go missing later on
Old 11-17-2011, 04:31 PM
Petfinder Moderator

Maneki Neko is on a distinguished road
Default Re: dog relocation

Hello, and welcome to Petfinder!

Transporting a dog to Australia is a complicated and expensive process, but I'm certain your terrier will appreciate all the work!

You'll find a great deal of information in this thread, especially in the more recent posts.

http://forums.petfinder.my/showthread.php?t=4240

You'll need to start well in advance, because you need to send blood samples overseas for testing, and you'll face the cost of quarantine in Australia, but I believe the quarantine period can be reduced somewhat by ensuring that you've got all your paperwork in order before you go.

Best of luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cookiethedog View Post
We will be migrating to Melbourne soon and we wish to relocate our silky terrier dog there. A ex-vet doc quoted us RM5 000 excluding the quarantine in Melbourne. Another lady recommended by my family vet always make appointments with me but never turn up. When i call her, line not answered. I am frustrated now. Who can recommend me a doctor who charge reasonably and can assist me to send my dog to AUstralia. I don't want a bogus one whon collect my money and my dog also go missing later on
Old 12-08-2011, 01:55 PM
Animal Lover

cookiethedog is on a distinguished road

Thank you!
Old 12-08-2011, 04:57 PM
Animal Lover

cleo&louie's mummy is on a distinguished road

Hey Cookie,

When r u going 2 Mel? I m moving there too with my furkids end 2012. Currently, I have 2 pet relocators that can do the job. I am waiting for quotes for comparison. If you r interested I can email you their contact.
Old 12-08-2011, 06:45 PM
Petfinder Moderator

Smile Re: dog relocation

Because so many Petfinder members are interested in relocating pets here and there (and Australia is one of the top destinations), Petfinder founder Andy Koh asked me to compile an article on the topic.

I found quite a lot of info on what is involved in taking pets to Australia. It's quite involved, expensive and complicated, isn't it?

I will keep updating the article with additional info as I find it. Cleo&Louie's Mummy and Cookie, I would be grateful if you would be willing to share any of your experiences. For example, which pet relocator did you work with? Why did you choose that one over the other? How well did it work out? Etc.

The article will be in Petfinder's library shortly and, as I said, I will keep it up to date as people share more of their firsthand experiences.

Thank you, and best of luck to you both in moving your pets! :-)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleo&louie's mummy View Post
Hey Cookie,

When r u going 2 Mel? I m moving there too with my furkids end 2012. Currently, I have 2 pet relocators that can do the job. I am waiting for quotes for comparison. If you r interested I can email you their contact.
Old 12-09-2011, 11:10 AM
Animal Lover

cleo&louie's mummy is on a distinguished road

Hi Maneki,

I haven't started the process yet since I am only moving end next year. But I have spoken to a pet relocator. Will share with you what I know so far...

Timing is extremely crucial. The aim here is to reduce the quarantine period in Aust. to the barest minimum which is 1 month. The whole process should start 6 - 7 months before the departure date. There's also a compulsory house quarantine of around 150 days in Msia after the 1st blood sample has been taken.

Estimated cost including of boarding at the Aust. Quarantine Centre should be around RM10 - 15k for each dog. I estimated more for medical emergencies because one of my dog isonto so young & the other is a cancer survivor.

While under quarantine in Aust., you can also engage the service of Dog Walks Pty Ltd who will walk, groom & cuddle your furkids. More info - http://www.dogwalks.com.au/

That's all the info I have right now. Will update more once I start the process. Hope this helps.

Last edited by cleo&louie's mummy; 12-09-2011 at 11:24 AM.
Old 12-09-2011, 12:12 PM
Petfinder Moderator

Dear Mummy (please forgive me for being so familiar and abbreviating your nickname! :-)

Thank you, yes. You've confirmed some of what I'd already found, especially regarding the time-frame and the costs. Thank you for the dog-walking recommendation -- I will certainly add that to the article, and I look forward to hearing your experience with the relocation service(s).

All the best!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cleo&louie's mummy View Post
Hi Maneki,

I haven't started the process yet since I am only moving end next year. But I have spoken to a pet relocator. Will share with you what I know so far...

Timing is extremely crucial. The aim here is to reduce the quarantine period in Aust. to the barest minimum which is 1 month. The whole process should start 6 - 7 months before the departure date. There's also a compulsory house quarantine of around 150 days in Msia after the 1st blood sample has been taken.

Estimated cost including of boarding at the Aust. Quarantine Centre should be around RM10 - 15k for each dog. I estimated more for medical emergencies because one of my dog isonto so young & the other is a cancer survivor.

While under quarantine in Aust., you can also engage the service of Dog Walks Pty Ltd who will walk, groom & cuddle your furkids. More info - http://www.dogwalks.com.au/

That's all the info I have right now. Will update more once I start the process. Hope this helps.