Go

Go Back   PetFinder.my > Pet Welfare, Rescue & Adoption > General Discussion

General Discussion General information and discuss on animal rescue, adoption and advocacy

Closed Thread

Old 03-20-2009, 10:19 AM
PetFinder Guru

nivek is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Letter from an Animal Shelter Manager - the sad truth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maneki Neko View Post
People, PLEASE!

I go back to Blackie's sage comment: Imagine life in this area without SPCA. For just a moment, set down all your grievances with the way the agency runs, and imagine it GONE. I spent several hours at SPCA on the day I adopted my cat, and in that short time, the entry-way to the shelter had completely filled up with surrendered cats and kittens. There were 10-15 new souls there. These were not strays from feral communities, they were pets dropped off because owners couldn't or wouldn't keep them any longer. Will they be euthanized? Quite probably most of them will be. As much as that breaks my heart, I have to think it's a more humane ending than they would find if thrown out onto the streets in the absence of SPCA.

I would beg you before you write a post to ask yourself, is this constructive, or is it merely critical? Am I really doing anything to help animals by writing this post? Do I really want to drive SPCA out of business, and if not, what can I do to change it for the better? I hate to say this, but I don't think posting criticisms on Petfinder is going to end in any significant improvement, and it may do significant harm.
couldn't agree more
Old 03-20-2009, 10:20 AM
PetFinder Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by FurKids View Post
Many IPRs are already doing this, Nivek, and SPCA is already quite redundant. Furry Friends Farms, Sherrina Krishnan and T.Ruth are doing so much in a very discreet manner. That is why SPCA donations are already dwindling ... they are going to the no-kill shelters instead.

In order to remedy and redeem itself, SPCA must go out and do the education programmes and TNR initiatives that their counterparts are effectively doing and everyone will definitely look at them with new eyes and work with them. But until then, the IPRs will have to struggle on by themselves for the sake of the unfortunate animals.

Khengteik mentioned that he had already updated our local SPCA on the activities of their counterpart so they should already have ideas on how to solve the problems they keep saying they have. But he could only lead the horse to water, the horse refused to drink ...
Good. Once SPCA is wiped out, I will know where to channel my funds and time. Keep me updated. In the meantime my time and money will continue to go to SPCA.
Old 03-20-2009, 10:26 AM
Pets Are NOT Disposable

FurKids is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maneki Neko View Post
There were 10-15 new souls there. These were not strays from feral communities, they were pets dropped off because owners couldn't or wouldn't keep them any longer. Will they be euthanized? Quite probably most of them will be. As much as that breaks my heart, I have to think it's a more humane ending than they would find if thrown out onto the streets in the absence of SPCA.
Other SPCAs now say that the killing of those healthy kittens is cruel and not humane, and they do not use the word "euthanise" which is reserved for killing of sick and injured no-hope animals.

Other SPCAs would spay/neuter, vaccinate and release the kittens in a safe colony and cared for by a registered colony carer in some safe neighbourhood instead of relying on shelters (as they say, there will never be enough land and $$ to house the uphill problem!). The animals would be living around as if strays, but basic needs like food and medical care are provided. Many, many already do that around where we live, amidst threats and scoldings from hostile animal hating neighbours who have yet to receive their education from SPCA on how not to be cruel to animals and show more empathy for the less fortunate.

And the other SPCA actively countered possible hostile complaints from the community through education programs carried out not in schools, but community and public areas focusing on animal-hating adults, persuading them to be more tolerant towards animals living around them.

Even though getting very, very help from the government, nevertheless, they aggressively and tirelesslly persuaded the municipal councils to leave the managed colonies alone and not round them up for destruction.
"We organized in the past to make Trap-Neuter-Return possible. Today, we organize to make Trap-Neuter-Return the norm and to end the unnecessary killing of cats in animal shelters across the country and provide humane care." - Alley Cat Allies

Last edited by FurKids; 03-20-2009 at 10:35 AM.
Old 03-20-2009, 10:30 AM
PetFinder Guru

Quote:
Other SPCAs now say that the killing of those healthy kittens is cruel and not humane, and they do not use the word "euthanise" which is reserved for killing of sick and injured no-hope animals.

Other SPCAs would spay/neuter, vaccinate and release the kittens in a safe colony and cared for by a registered colony carer. And the other SPCA actively countered possible stray complaints from the community through education programs carried out not in schools, but community and public areas focusing on animal-hating adults. Even though getting very, very help from the government, nevertheless, they aggressively and tirelesslly persuaded the municipal councils to leave the managed colonies alone and not round them up for destruction.
Have you approached your local SPCA with this proposal with a CBA to have them initiate this program?
Old 03-20-2009, 10:41 AM
Pets Are NOT Disposable

Nivek, read Khengteik's post and many others.
"We organized in the past to make Trap-Neuter-Return possible. Today, we organize to make Trap-Neuter-Return the norm and to end the unnecessary killing of cats in animal shelters across the country and provide humane care." - Alley Cat Allies
Old 03-20-2009, 10:50 AM
PetFinder Guru

Quote:
Nivek, read Khengteik's post and many others.
Read but I don't see any meat there. What have you personally done and have you given up after a few roadblocks? Any contingency plan, alternate approach, execute and share data with SPCA etc etc. Come up with a project plan, pilot test to get their attention. Going in without a proper plan, timelines etc will only get thrown out.

Treat it as a business plan. There has to be CBA and projected benefit results and targets coming out from this.
Old 03-20-2009, 10:57 AM
Pets Are NOT Disposable

Jeff, you are right ... bye, everyone, got no time to waste on thirsty but don't wanna drink horses ... not you, Nivek.
Old 03-20-2009, 11:00 AM
PetFinder Guru

daphne1985 is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to daphne1985

Quote:
Originally Posted by t.ruth View Post
Hi Daphne

The highlighted statement - are u saying that our spca and paws do that? very frankly, it's a bit far-fetched. do u mean that u hope they will do that? no offence meant. as far as i know, from my customers, spca 'fai si' entertain calls when they call to make complaints about stray animals, let alone do what u say. 'easier for a camel to go through a needle's eye' than for spca and paws to do what u said.
T.ruth,

The highlight statement is not for u is for someone that not do so..and only noe to bla..bla and bla..I noe u are so kind enough to help the innocent but how about others? Did everyone behave as u, I found some ppl here only like to be smart, pretending high level, act professional..but sit on the chair and bla bla bla...he/ she never even help any innocent, if he/she complaint about SPCA or PAW, I tell u he is even worst then them..

FURKIDS

Don't only noe to say, action is the most important, please if u are so PROFESSIONAL, stand out take the action to prove us rather than here barking nonsense. Show everyone of us, forum member u are even doing something better?

hahaha..sorry to say..I did not see anything from u lo...Only barking sound a lot..
Old 03-20-2009, 11:03 AM
PetFinder Guru

Quote:
Jeff, you are right ... bye, everyone, got no time to waste on thirsty but don't wanna drink horses ... not you, Nivek.
No offence taken (this is a good discussion) but look at it this way. If you can't even convince me, what chance do you have in convincing the SPCA or the local council? Here is a suggestion on what you can do :

1) Do a sample size study of strays in a 5KM radius of your location over a period of 2 months.
2) Note the change in number of strays, locations etc weekly
3) Now initiate your program and monitor the results over a period of 1 year
4) Continue to monitor the sample size to see how effective the program went
5) Now increase your radius to another 10KM.
6) Repeat and report
7) Calculate cost, man hours needed to do all this.
8) Calculate % benefit vs item (7)
9) Analize whether it is feasible or scalable to larger areas
10) Summarize and present

Treat it like a Six Sigma program. Use the DMAIC methodology and you'll get what you want. You may even end up with a better solution at the end.
Old 03-20-2009, 11:06 AM
Banned

khengteik is an unknown quantity at this point
Send a message via MSN to khengteik

Furkids... I seriously have a big problem with you..... Looks like only a handful of us... Jeff included.. Thinks things differently...

To whoever that thinks that SPCA is doing a good job and would like to continue supporting them.... That is your choice... and i respect that... To whoever that thinks otherwise.... We have our reasons... therefore... do not stop volunteering there because of us....

"I am a thorn that would never go away.... Either except me as it is and learn to live with it.... Or choose to push me aside. But however it is, it will never go away" Robbie Williams in the movie Patch Adams.

Like i have mentioned before... I am a person who thinks that a person should work in a field that he/she likes. However, if in an unfortunate event where you do not get to work in a field the you like, you MUST learn to like it... Or at least fulfill your job portfolio. That is why i get so pissed off when i go to places that charges service charges but their service sucks.... I think almost all of the eateries in Subang Parade have been screwed by me because of its bad service... This is me... When i see something wrong... i dont beat around the bush.....

And this is why i get so worked up with SPCA... I very much want to support and volunteer at SPCA.. But for the past 50yrs... They have not lived up to their name at all... And because i have stood in their shoes/sat in their chair and think... I get pissed mad... Dont ever bullshit and say that no money and this and that.... like i mentioned earlier... there are ways and means to get funding... and its up to the management on how they work their way around... I'm already sick and tired of giving all hints and tips... I'm sure the people at SPCA "eat salt more then i eat rice"... memalufyingkan....

Everyone can say that i'm just all talk but no work.... if that is the case, why do they need back benchers in the Parliment? There is even a backbenchers club somewhere around.. Btw... as i've mentioned earlier... i do not even have time to die.... and even if i have... I would rather volunteer my time at PAWS or FFF or NANAS... at least they are doing their best to achieve their objective....
Old 03-20-2009, 11:09 AM
Pets Are NOT Disposable

Quote:
Originally Posted by daphne1985 View Post
T.ruth,

The highlight statement is not for u is for someone that not do so..and only noe to bla..bla and bla..I noe u are so kind enough to help the innocent but how about others? Did everyone behave as u, I found some ppl here only like to be smart, pretending high level, act professional..but sit on the chair and bla bla bla...he/ she never even help any innocent, if he/she complaint about SPCA or PAW, I tell u he is even worst then them..

FURKIDS

Don't only noe to say, action is the most important, please if u are so PROFESSIONAL, stand out take the action to prove us rather than here barking nonsense. Show everyone of us, forum member u are even doing something better?

hahaha..sorry to say..I did not see anything from u lo...Only barking sound a lot..
Little girl, run home to your mommy, if you cannot take the heat, get out of the kitchen.

Your demonstration of your communication skills and lack of maturity and objectiveness now really makes me wonder about the true accuracy of your accusations against Segar Clinic in this forum. You managed to ride on our sympathy for Yuki's death successfully for a while, but now ... hmmmmm .... Your credibility is really at stake ...
Old 03-20-2009, 11:11 AM
PetFinder Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by t.ruth View Post
well said! Well said!
Haha, Furkids,

u seems very smart in answering my question and attract ppl to support u..Why not you volunteer ur self to change SPCA in Malaysia. U noe you act useless here, u only noe how to pint point problem that are already existing and most people know. We can find the information through reading the news from the world. You noe why Malaysia still a loser compare to others because We have ppl like your thinking, only noe how to bullshit ppl.! Your job is Bullshit and bullshit and more and more ppl follow u to make your shit smell nice... right..

Action is the most important..

ya
Old 03-20-2009, 11:12 AM
Pets Are NOT Disposable

Quote:
Originally Posted by khengteik View Post
Furkids... I seriously have a big problem with you..... Looks like only a handful of us... Jeff included.. Thinks things differently...

To whoever that thinks that SPCA is doing a good job and would like to continue supporting them.... That is your choice... and i respect that... To whoever that thinks otherwise.... We have our reasons... therefore... do not stop volunteering there because of us....

"I am a thorn that would never go away.... Either except me as it is and learn to live with it.... Or choose to push me aside. But however it is, it will never go away" Robbie Williams in the movie Patch Adams.

Like i have mentioned before... I am a person who thinks that a person should work in a field that he/she likes. However, if in an unfortunate event where you do not get to work in a field the you like, you MUST learn to like it... Or at least fulfill your job portfolio. That is why i get so pissed off when i go to places that charges service charges but their service sucks.... I think almost all of the eateries in Subang Parade have been screwed by me because of its bad service... This is me... When i see something wrong... i dont beat around the bush.....

And this is why i get so worked up with SPCA... I very much want to support and volunteer at SPCA.. But for the past 50yrs... They have not lived up to their name at all... And because i have stood in their shoes/sat in their chair and think... I get pissed mad... Dont ever bullshit and say that no money and this and that.... like i mentioned earlier... there are ways and means to get funding... and its up to the management on how they work their way around... I'm already sick and tired of giving all hints and tips... I'm sure the people at SPCA "eat salt more then i eat rice"... memalufyingkan....

Everyone can say that i'm just all talk but no work.... if that is the case, why do they need back benchers in the Parliment? There is even a backbenchers club somewhere around.. Btw... as i've mentioned earlier... i do not even have time to die.... and even if i have... I would rather volunteer my time at PAWS or FFF or NANAS... at least they are doing their best to achieve their objective....
Khengteik, you forget ahhhh? In this world they say got 3 types of people: those who see things before it happens ... those who see things when it happens ... and those who do not see things happening right in front of their eyes .... wakakakakakakaaaaaaaa!!!!
Old 03-20-2009, 11:14 AM
Pets Are NOT Disposable

Quote:
Originally Posted by daphne1985 View Post
Haha, Furkids,

u seems very smart in answering my question and attract ppl to support u..Why not you volunteer ur self to change SPCA in Malaysia. U noe you act useless here, u only noe how to pint point problem that are already existing and most people know. We can find the information through reading the news from the world. You noe why Malaysia still a loser compare to others because We have ppl like your thinking, only noe how to bullshit ppl.! Your job is Bullshit and bullshit and more and more ppl follow u to make your shit smell nice... right..

Action is the most important..

ya
Little girl, go take out a dictionary with you to read forum rules, ya? Then go home and cry on your mummy's apron ... I haven't got precious time to waste with ppl like you.
Old 03-20-2009, 11:24 AM
PetFinder Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackie007 View Post
ruth, i'm not offended, not to worry. we are just sharing opinions and discussions, it's nothing personal, right? unless u want to make it personal.

i am pretty ambivalent about spca and am not blind to their faults. but it doesn't help to bash them up like this, because their funds will decline.

when that happens, what spca is going to do, and pretty good at, is to KILL EVEN MORE animals in there.

let's say, hypothetically, they kill 10 animals a day. now, when funds decline, they're going to up the ante and might even kill 100 animals a day. is the number far-fetched? we'll never know until funds decline. and it is for this reason, i keep saying it doesn't solve the problem by continuously bashing spca.

instead, if anyone feels so strongly about spca's apathy, then he/she should do something concrete to turn things around. i believe in if there's a will there's a way.

becos i really don't see what all this bashing will lead to other than spca becoming more unpopular and the animals in the shelter suffering as a result of this.

again, let me repeat, i am not promoting spca. my ONLY CONCERN is what would happen to the existing animals in spca's care if the public shuns them and their funds decline.

let's imagine for a second that spca ceases to exist:-

1) what will happen to the existing animals? how many can be fostered by the rescuers? they are already asking for help for those dogs that they rescued from the dbkl dog pound.

2) where will the irresponsible owners take their pets to when they no longer want them? i think it's safe to say they'll just throw them out onto the streets.

for me, i think it'll be a lot worse if spca fails to exist, much as i abhor their kill policy. in case you're not aware, i've always taken the stand that all animals have a right to live alongside us, even on the streets. i am vehemently against the notion that they should be killed for whatever reason, unless they are in agonising pain and there is no cure in sight.

as for the lady who's selling her bungalow in titiwangsa to support the strays, she is actually helping spca in a way. she fosters the animals from spca to stop them from being killed due to space constraints. and she wants to do even more. this is why she wanted to sell her bungalow, and she is happy and willing to do that. she is a great lady that we can all emulate.

and there are about 10 dogs that she passed on to one of my hubby's cousin to keep in her house. spca gave my hubby's cousin a letter to say that those dogs are spca's and she's fostering them on their behalf until homes could be found for them. this letter comes in useful during raids by MPPJ, which has happened before as the dogs are noisy and the neighbours have lodged complaints with the MPPJ.

every month, spca gave my hubby's cousin dog food to feed the dogs, and they built an "igloo" in her garden for the dogs to play with, with their funds because my hubby's cousin is like me, a housewife without income.
Yeah.......Blackies..I agree with u here, everybody seems to only noe how to blame on ppl, they never even taking any action. Are the problems going to change? Why all of u seems to be so selfish. I noe so many negative about SPCA and PAW that I heard from most of the people and how advance are in foreigner country. Why are we just sitting down and only noe how to complaint, if everyone does the same. Will there any changes? Last time I did have same thinking as u always think bad about SPCA and PAWS and hate they keep on killing animals and etc, but after I grow older, my thinking change, I hope there is changes, I hope to help SPCA and PAW, I'm willing to volunteer myself coz i want to help those innocent.. How about you, do u do anything? Are u willing to help those innocent by taking any action..

Please..P Lease dont only noe how to blame on people, take your initiative and take some action for this issue. ..

The Animals need Your Help
Old 03-20-2009, 11:27 AM
PetFinder Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by kimimaro84 View Post
OMG i been reading this since afternoon, i cant believe u ppl are still talking n talking n talking n still arguing here n there pointing fingers across the globe comparing here n there, typing a whole hundreds of patah perkataan like SPM/Final year project karangan and final report...this can go on n on like a hot headed makcik n another hot headed uncle yadda yadda yadda 4 eternity...i wonder what u ppl try to point out to what faults u trying to find?

wat have u done so far to fix the current situation? good if u have done something but if u have done nothing y type so much?

its up to u want to do it or not or want to help or not? If dowan do or help dont do la, why crap so much? what are u trying to tell ppl?

For me if u wan help, juz help from the bottom of ur heart, honestly, dats all no need elaborate to each other what is right n wrong. i mean if u juz do a tiny bit, at least it came honestly from u rite?u tried ur best, no such thing as i wasted my time la, they are not worth to be help la wat la n so on

what u wanna help? u wanna help SPCA/Paw/anything related or u wanna help/teman/play the animals while waiting to be adopted/put to sleep? Its seriously up to u which part/role u wanna play

It depends what u believe in and what u fight for
Correct what Kimimaro said.
Old 03-20-2009, 11:29 AM
PetFinder Guru

lynielime is on a distinguished road

this debate has deteriorated and now some of you are just attacking each other. this mud-slinging is not constructive. why can't we agree to disagree?

some people want to work with spca and paws, and some people want to conduct their animal welfare pursuits with other organizations or as independents. that's fine. the more the merrier. we don't all have to work with the same organizations as long as we are doing something.

please no more personal attacks. this forum is becoming unpleasant.
Old 03-20-2009, 11:31 AM
Pets Are NOT Disposable

Quote:
Originally Posted by nivek View Post
No offence taken (this is a good discussion) but look at it this way. If you can't even convince me, what chance do you have in convincing the SPCA or the local council? Here is a suggestion on what you can do :

1) Do a sample size study of strays in a 5KM radius of your location over a period of 2 months.
2) Note the change in number of strays, locations etc weekly
3) Now initiate your program and monitor the results over a period of 1 year
4) Continue to monitor the sample size to see how effective the program went
5) Now increase your radius to another 10KM.
6) Repeat and report
7) Calculate cost, man hours needed to do all this.
8) Calculate % benefit vs item (7)
9) Analize whether it is feasible or scalable to larger areas
10) Summarize and present

Treat it like a Six Sigma program. Use the DMAIC methodology and you'll get what you want. You may even end up with a better solution at the end.
Oh, Nivek, I understand what you are saying and why you are saying certain things ... you haven't been in the whole loop about what is going on ... you haven't even read all our interconnected postings ... go read, friend ... to fasttrack you, Nivek, use Google and find out as much as you can about TNR ... from there you will find all the guides (my God, Alleycats, SF SPCA gives out all the guides in detail on how to persuade public, municipal councils, hostile neighbours, etc, etc to accept TNRs, stray colonies, support colony caregivers, etc.). TNRs and setting up stray colonies and education programs targeting the right people (adult animal haters) are the solution. Stray population actually decrease.

If SPCA give up all the donations it receives and its name, many IPRs will gladly do what you mentioned themselves because they will be SPCA themselves.
Old 03-20-2009, 11:31 AM
PetFinder Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyKoh View Post
Guys,

You have voiced your opinions on SPCA, and they have been heard by the rest of us. But, it now appears to be going well overboard and I see some people getting overly emotional with strong sentences attacking SPCA.

It is always easy for you to criticize someone or some organization. Just like everyone who loves to complain about their jobs and bosses. BUT, put yourself into your boss' shoes, and you will see a whole different picture. There are many opposing forces, competing priorities, legal restraints and dozens of other issues to be considered when actions are to be taken, and red tape is bound to arise in organizations.

I agree that there is definitely room for improvement in SPCA, just like any organization. However, I definitely do not agree with claims that SPCA is of no purpose at all. There is no denying of SPCA's contribution to the animals and our community - whether it is on rescuing animals, rehoming them, or educating people. If you claim that they are not doing any of these, then you are likely so strongly prejudiced against them that you are selecting NOT to read/remember/recall the things that they have achieved. I am not saying that they are at their maximum efficiency, but there is still a lot achieved. I know of a friend who emailed SPCA to report a pack of stray puppies discovered at a vacant house, and within 1 hour, received a call from SPCA for more information, and hours later, they have sent their van over to pick the puppies up. You might be able to give negative examples, but so can others give positive ones.

Let's face it, there are thousands of strays everywhere and lots of calls for help, requests to surrender pets, investigations into abuse cases etc - do you think SPCA can efficiently respond to every single request and handle each case to your satisfaction? We are not even satisfied with the customer service of large corporations with hundreds of support staff, so there is an extent to how much SPCA can do with their limited resources.

Both SPCA and Independent pet rescuers are absolutely crucial, because there are never enough resources for any party to single-handedly resolve the issues. In fact, all these parties should be working hand-in-hand with the same mission and helping each other to improve, instead of pointing fingers at others' faults and belittling them.

What some of you are doing here is merely instilling dissatisfaction and hatred of SPCA among others, which I consider unacceptable. If this society fails to function properly, it is the animals that are going to suffer like what Blackie said, and the animal rescue, fostering, education, lobbying scenes would become even more chaotic.

I want to emphasize this - give constructive criticisms, but do not criticize and belittle others just for the sake of creating a tense atmosphere, making yourself heard or whatever personal agenda. Always think of the consequences and the big picture, put yourself into their shoes, and if you genuinely think you can do better, then by all means, join their organization and make the improvements instead of giving empty criticisms.
Strongly Agree:
Both SPCA and Independent pet rescuers are absolutely crucial, because there are never enough resources for any party to single-handedly resolve the issues. In fact, all these parties should be working hand-in-hand with the same mission and helping each other to improve, instead of pointing fingers at others' faults and belittling them.

Cheers
Daphne
Old 03-20-2009, 11:35 AM
PetFinder Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by nivek View Post
SPCA runs on public donations. For those who feels that SPCA is not doing the right thing, try setting up an animal shelter with 0 funds. Let's simulate this scenario :

1) You have 30 kennels to shelter strays or pets brought in (because you do not have money to build more or even the land space)
2) You only have 2 staff to run the centre (because you do not have money to hire more)
3) You can only give food which has been donated by the public or buy cheap kibbles and not those super premium ones because you need to feed the dogs at least twice a day (this is 30 dogs we are talking about)
4) You want to spay everything which comes through your door but each spaying cost RM150 each (estimated)
5) You receive 600 dogs a month while you get 10 adoptions a month
6) You try to sell all the items donated by the public hoping to generate some cash to buy essentials
7) You need to feed medication, vaccination etc etc to those healthy dogs before they are homed (all this costs money)
8) You open your shelter to the public 6 days a week but hardly anyone walks in because everybody wants "Pedigree!" and your dogs looks normal
9) You ponder whether you can still survive another week with the RM200 you have left to run the shelter. Hopefully some kind souls will come this week to donate.

Now do the maths and add up all the costs. If you can do better on 0 funds, by all means start a shelter and stop criticising what others are doing. Volunteers to the SPCA sacrifice their time and energy with 0 pay to help out in whatever way they can. They don't print money. They have their own families to feed but every little contribution goes a long way.

If you seriously want to help, start donating either time or money and adopt pets from SPCA. This will provide them with funds to continue doing their wonderful job. FYI my whole family happily visit the SPCA on weekends to play with the dogs and we make our monthly donations to help the facility.

So there, I've said my 2 cents worth. Peace.
Good Job
you done something at least better than other that done "o".