Go

Go Back   PetFinder.my > The Animal Corner > Dogs & Puppies > Training & Behavioral Issues

Training & Behavioral Issues Does your dog have an attitude, or just simply refuses to listen to you? Share it with your peers here and learn more about a cat's behavior and training methods

Old 03-24-2010, 04:00 PM
Animal Lover

bn_230310 is on a distinguished road
Default Help need to stoping my Shar Pei puppy from barking at night

Hi, Need help for stoping my Shar Pei puppy from barking. Just bought few days ago. My puppy Shar Pei is just 6 week old and he like to bark especially at night. Which cause my family cannot sleep as I was staying at apartment and scare that neighbour will scold if he keep barking at night. Can anyone teach me how to train him from stop barking? He don't like to stay inside the cage too. Everytime when we put him in the cage he will start barking again.
Old 03-24-2010, 05:12 PM
Animal Lover

icelads is on a distinguished road
Send a message via MSN to icelads
Default Re: Help need to stoping my Shar Pei puppy from barking at night

hi bn_230310, where do you keep your sharpei at nite? the reason why he barks could be there are not ppl around the area..., try to turn on the tv /radio that got ppl talking and leave the room, then he may thought someone still accompany him in the room, and may stop barking. try and see..
Old 03-24-2010, 07:52 PM
Petfinder Moderator

Maneki Neko is on a distinguished road

He's only 6 weeks old? He's probably terrified, being separated from his mother for the first time. I agree with Icelads, a radio playing quiet and peaceful music in the room may help. Also, be sure he has something warm and fuzzy, like a stuffed toy in his cage with him. He's barking out of fear. As he gets older, you should leave the cage door open when you're at home so that he sees the cage as his safe place, as his bed. If he views the cage as a frightening place, you're going to have a very hard time of it.

I really suggest you get some good books on raising puppies, or your family and your neighbors will give you a lot of trouble, and the pup will be miserable. Good luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by bn_230310 View Post
Hi, Need help for stoping my Shar Pei puppy from barking. Just bought few days ago. My puppy Shar Pei is just 6 week old and he like to bark especially at night. Which cause my family cannot sleep as I was staying at apartment and scare that neighbour will scold if he keep barking at night. Can anyone teach me how to train him from stop barking? He don't like to stay inside the cage too. Everytime when we put him in the cage he will start barking again.
Old 03-24-2010, 09:41 PM
Animal Lover

bn_230310 is on a distinguished road

Hi guy, Thanks a lot for your advise. I put my dog near the pantry there. I did suspect that maybe he was scare because of alone. I will try to switch on the radio near the cage to see the respond.
Old 03-25-2010, 02:00 PM
Animal Lover

Divas is on a distinguished road

Also remember not to give him attention when he barks. If you are out of the room he is in, don't go back in as he is trying to get attention. If he learns that barking = attention (even if it is being told off, bad attention is still better than none at all for some dogs) it will be much harder to stop him in the future.
If he barks when you are in the room with him, gently hold his muzzle and tell him 'no' in a calm but firm tone of voice. You need to hold firmly enough that he can't open his mouth but not so hard you are hurting him. To begin with he might try and fight but you need to keep holding until he has settled down and submitted (he will relax).

Also i totally agree, you need to get a training book or look online at some training sites to help you raise your dog as a wel balanced and obedient member of the community. Once your dog feels safe that you are his pack leader and will care for him properly he will be less likely to act out. All in all, he will be happier, you will be happier,your family will be happier and your neighbours will be happier. Just remember, training takes time. There are no quick fixes, keep working at it daily, go at your dogs pace and you will get there.
I would highly reccomend reading up some of Cesar Millan's principles, although I'm not a fan of him as a person, his training methods and pack theories are really helpful :D .
Old 05-21-2010, 01:28 AM
Animal Lover

ginafindadog is on a distinguished road

My best friend has a yappy yorkie and she ended up getting an ultrasonic bark control product. It has really helped them bc it makes an ultrasonic sound everytime he barks and he doesn't like it. You might need to wait until your dog is a little older though.