Go

Go Back   PetFinder.my > Pet Welfare, Rescue & Adoption > General Discussion

General Discussion General information and discuss on animal rescue, adoption and advocacy

Old 05-24-2013, 04:40 PM
Animal Lover

tassy is on a distinguished road
Default Neglected dog

Hi,

I have a neighbour that leaves her dog out in the blazing sun and heavy rain.

It just rained a while ago and there was thunder, the poor dog was howling in his cage. The dog is kept in the cage all the time. They hardly take the dog out for walks except to have him relieve himself and then it's back in the cage again.

Today, whilst it was raining, the owner's 30 year old daughter came out to take the food bowl away but left the howling dog outside.

The irony is that these people just renovated their house and there seems to be no room in the newly extended house for the poor dog. They also have a puppy that they keep indoors (for now).

What can be done for this dog? I believe this is an old dog as he has been with them for a long time. I just think that these people are no longer interested in caring for the old dog now that they have a new one.

Please help!!!!!
Old 05-24-2013, 06:03 PM
Petfinder Moderator

Maneki Neko is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Neglected dog

Quote:
Originally Posted by tassy View Post
Hi,

I have a neighbour that leaves her dog out in the blazing sun and heavy rain.

It just rained a while ago and there was thunder, the poor dog was howling in his cage. The dog is kept in the cage all the time. They hardly take the dog out for walks except to have him relieve himself and then it's back in the cage again.

Today, whilst it was raining, the owner's 30 year old daughter came out to take the food bowl away but left the howling dog outside.

The irony is that these people just renovated their house and there seems to be no room in the newly extended house for the poor dog. They also have a puppy that they keep indoors (for now).

What can be done for this dog? I believe this is an old dog as he has been with them for a long time. I just think that these people are no longer interested in caring for the old dog now that they have a new one.

Please help!!!!!
Hi, Tassy -- this story is so upsetting! The poor older dog... :-(

Sometimes having a friendly word with the neighbours can do the trick. Have you tried chatting with them about the dog's welfare? The trick is to keep it on a friendly basis, not angry or accusatory. Occasionally people will respond well to this, almost as if it hadn't occurred to them that their treatment of the dog is neglectful.

If you think they wouldn't be responsive to this approach, you can send all the details (photos would be helpful) to inspectorate.spcaselangor@gmail.com. SPCA inspectors can at least stop by and have a look at the dog's condition and then perhaps have a word with the owners.

Be aware, though, that there is presently no law against constantly caging a dog, as long as the cage is of a certain size. If they're providing enough water and food to maintain the animal's health, it won't be possible to prosecute them legally. Let's hope they'll listen to reason and give the dog more humane care.