Go

Go Back   PetFinder.my > The Animal Corner > Dogs & Puppies

Dogs & Puppies General information and discussions on taking care of your canine buddy

Old 10-23-2010, 02:27 PM
Animal Lover

Christinelwy is on a distinguished road
Default How people see against Dog.

One day, I brought my dog to my mom's shop. My dog wants to go in to the counter to find my mom.

In the same time, a Chinese salesman was standing at the entrance of the counter.So, I was like"Excuse me, I wanna go in." I repeated 3 times, but he refuse to move a side. But my dog was impatient and rushed into the counter.

After my mom pamper her in the counter, my dog came out of the counter only a step. After a moment,the salesman thought my dog disturbs him, actually not. He uses his catalog ,smack my dogs face and was like"Shoo!,Shoo!,Shoo!"

After that, he stands infront of the counter and said "Your dog is so aggressive and fierce, but y'all girls like dogs but boys saw dogs will have phobia.

Scene 2:

Everyday, I take my dog to the roadside for a poo/pee. My dog was siting there and didn't do anything. Many "M" passer-bys over react when they saw my dog such as "Oh-Mak Engkau, or Harimau Harimau!" And I was pissed off almost every time I take my dog for a poo/pee. :S

Last edited by Christinelwy; 10-23-2010 at 07:38 PM.
Old 10-23-2010, 08:03 PM
Vivien Wuz Ere

Location: Earth - where every human beings have to live together with animals
vivienlpl is on a distinguished road
Default Re: How people see against Dog.

you shouldn't be troubled or bother about this ppl reaction towards your dog or so
As long as you love him.....anyone who disgusted... or dislike dogs or animals will always be that person he/she be.

There will be people out there who dislike animals whether dogs/cats or in category of animals....

There will also be another group who even more worst that the category above - which abuse for the fun of it or have nothing better to do thinking they are so great...

There will be a group of animals lovers who love both cats and dogs...

There will also be a group of people who only love dogs but not cats or the other way around.

Dont feel anything - of having ppl to tease you, look at you and your dog, say about your dog - As long as you love him/her/it the way it is.... you are actually enjoying yourself........ learn to accept the fact that wonderful life begins in you and little furry friends - to hell with the rest :)

share with us your little doggie... im sure we love to see him~
Old 11-30-2010, 03:15 PM
Animal Lover

phikli is on a distinguished road

Hehe yeah, Vivien is right. To be honest, I am thinking of getting a dog real soon and whenever I tell my friends I am planning to have a dog, they give negative reactions. Especially since I want a big, short haired dog. Currently, I live in an apartment, but would like to rent a house to have a dog.

Some landlords also specify that they don't want tenants to have a dog because of the smell or they are afraid that the neighbours will complain, etc. So I found that it is really really not that easy to have a dog.

When my uncle and aunts learned that I want to move into a house just to have a dog, they think I am stupid. They give me a strange stare and asked me to think over it. To me, I want to get a dog for companionship and etc, not just 'saja'.

But yes, not many people have been very encouraging towards my idea of getting a dog.
Old 12-01-2010, 11:51 AM
Animal Lover

phatgurl is on a distinguished road

My new neighbour next door has a big, tame dog. Although I'm a Muslim, I don't mind about it as long as she is taken care of and do not make much loud noise. I even feel sorry for the dog because she's left out in the porch everyday. I never see the owner taking her out for a walk and last weekend when they were not at home for 2 days, their dog was left with some food and it was finished within a day so she has no food left on the second day. That time my husband and I felt like buying some dog food for her. Since it's raining season she sometimes sleep in the rain and cold with a sad face. Pity her.

Fyi, as Muslims, we're not allowed to have any contact with dogs if they are wet, e.g. wet fur, wet tongue, wet nose, etc but if we did there's still a way to clean our hand / body. Some people however being over reacted about this because they do not want to clean their hand / body (it's a long process) and I have to admit that many parents taught their children to stay away from dogs... so they're already brainwashed. I also disagree with this kinda behaviour but we can't change people perception directly.

Hope you have understood the situation and hopefully we could respect each other about this matter. Although I love cats, dogs are indeed adorable animals
Old 12-07-2010, 12:05 PM
Animal Lover

phikli is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by phatgurl View Post
My new neighbour next door has a big, tame dog. Although I'm a Muslim, I don't mind about it as long as she is taken care of and do not make much loud noise. I even feel sorry for the dog because she's left out in the porch everyday. I never see the owner taking her out for a walk and last weekend when they were not at home for 2 days, their dog was left with some food and it was finished within a day so she has no food left on the second day. That time my husband and I felt like buying some dog food for her. Since it's raining season she sometimes sleep in the rain and cold with a sad face. Pity her.

Nice of you!

Fyi, as Muslims, we're not allowed to have any contact with dogs if they are wet, e.g. wet fur, wet tongue, wet nose, etc but if we did there's still a way to clean our hand / body. Some people however being over reacted about this because they do not want to clean their hand / body (it's a long process) and I have to admit that many parents taught their children to stay away from dogs... so they're already brainwashed. I also disagree with this kinda behaviour but we can't change people perception directly.

Hope you have understood the situation and hopefully we could respect each other about this matter. Although I love cats, dogs are indeed adorable animals

Yeah, I wish though that Malays were allowed to touch dogs, would love to have Malay friends to play with my dogs and such.
Old 12-07-2010, 02:55 PM
PetFinder Buddy

sphinxlover is on a distinguished road

most people are skeptical towards dogs cus they're not used to them and being around when will make them jumpy. Its only because they're not used to them and have heard lots of things like they bite and all. And dogs lick too so yeah that causes problems. I myself am a bit fearful of them but get around them when i can cus my friend has a dog and like to tease me with it cus he knows im kinda jumpy around them. So don't be too close minded on the people who says all that weird stuff around ur dog they're just not used to them. Don't take it too personally.
Old 12-08-2010, 01:04 AM
PetFinder Guru

shahcats is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivienlpl View Post
you shouldn't be troubled or bother about this ppl reaction towards your dog or so
As long as you love him.....anyone who disgusted... or dislike dogs or animals will always be that person he/she be.

There will be people out there who dislike animals whether dogs/cats or in category of animals....

There will also be another group who even more worst that the category above - which abuse for the fun of it or have nothing better to do thinking they are so great...

There will be a group of animals lovers who love both cats and dogs...

There will also be a group of people who only love dogs but not cats or the other way around.

Dont feel anything - of having ppl to tease you, look at you and your dog, say about your dog - As long as you love him/her/it the way it is.... you are actually enjoying yourself........ learn to accept the fact that wonderful life begins in you and little furry friends - to hell with the rest :)

share with us your little doggie... im sure we love to see him~
well said vivien
i totally agree with u..we cant change people's perception and preference toward animal right..even myself have some problem to keep my cats staying with me because im still living with my family which half of them hate animal around them. ..the only i can do now ignore all the bad words and enjoying myself with my cats around me..

i wanna see ur doggie..i bet hes big n hensem..like what u said people called him as harimau.. i will so proud if some one call my cats as harimau..

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	husky3.jpg
Views:	496
Size:	105.6 KB
ID:	10443  

Last edited by shahcats; 12-08-2010 at 01:14 AM.
Old 12-08-2010, 01:20 PM
PetFinder Guru

Felix The Cat is on a distinguished road

Yeah... I know what you guys mean. I really hate people who scream at the sight of dogs or cats. By doing this you will instead frightened the poor animal and in return they will be scared and get jumpy or hostile.

I have had people over at my house and when they see my cats they will go 'eeeeeee kucing' and run here and there or climb on the chair. I mean common.... the cats or dogs wont bite you right unless you provoke them. I really can't stand people like this.

Same goes for dogs. When people see dog owners bringing their dogs for walks or etc .... they will get squirmish and start acting stupid. For me... just act normal and the animal won't disturb you. Getting freaky will only attract the animal.

I too am a Muslim convert and was brought up in a family who loves dogs and all sorts of animals. We used to own mongrels to Doberman and German Sheperd. I too used to own a Shi Tzu too

Infact in other Muslim countries overseas, many of the Muslims have dogs.

Felix The Cat - Dee wonderful wonderful cat!
http://felixthecats.weebly.com
http://livinginmyworld-phyllis.blogspot.com/
Old 12-08-2010, 02:37 PM
PetFinder Buddy

abuldotcom is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christinelwy View Post

Scene 2:

Everyday, I take my dog to the roadside for a poo/pee. My dog was siting there and didn't do anything. Many "M" passer-bys over react when they saw my dog such as "Oh-Mak Engkau, or Harimau Harimau!" And I was pissed off almost every time I take my dog for a poo/pee. :S

dear Christinelwy,

as Sphinxlover said, some people are not used to dogs.... you cant blamed them just because of they surprised to see a dog in a sudden....

and what do you mean by "M"?? Malay or Muslim? please DO NOT bring any racial or religious issue here, it is such a sensitive issue... you pissed off just because of they surprise to see your dog... maybe your dog is big and they dont see it at the first sight.... hermmmm

I am a MUSLIM and i love dogs, even though my family a bit particular about this by they do understand of my love towards animal, i even jog with my neighbors dog, FIFI (pity her, always trying so hard to get out of the house when her owner were not at home) but only with my neighbors permission's, of course.
Old 12-08-2010, 02:50 PM
Petfinder Moderator

Maneki Neko is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by abuldotcom View Post
i even jog with my neighbors dog, FIFI (pity her, always trying so hard to get out of the house when her owner were not at home) but only with my neighbors permission's, of course.
Wah, good for you, abuldotcom! Dogs -- most of them, anyway -- need exercise, and they really do suffer mental stress when confined to houses, small yards, or worst of all, cages. I wish more people would take their dogs (or their neighbour's dogs) out for a jog. Bravo!
Old 12-08-2010, 06:22 PM
PetFinder Guru

adrianng87 is on a distinguished road

Abuldotcom, I think Christinelwy is a little tense over the reaction of other people treats her dog, just forget about it kay...

Christinelwy, like what Vivien & Sphinxlover have said, different people have different perception towards dogs, cats, birds or just anything around us regardless it is a living thing or not. Even a tee-shirt brand you buy, not all people will agree what you wear is nice and also accept it just the way you like. After all we are human with different brains, as long you enjoy what you do that doesn't harm other people physically then its fine already. I myself have a Malay cousin, she don't mind making contacts with dogs either directly or indirectly, big or small, at outdoors. An example like our friend at the picture above, Shahcats too.

If anyone of you have Facebook, I would like to share this group, they call themselves "Good Muslims Love Dogs!", read up, i'm sure definitely this will open your mind, or perhaps a different better perspective.

Link to "Good Muslims Love Dogs!": http://www.facebook.com/?sk=messages...uslimslovedogs

Oh by the way, they are very supportive in PetFinder.my too. Bravo to them and people around who don't have problem with dogs.
Old 12-08-2010, 06:35 PM
Animal Lover

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maneki Neko View Post
Wah, good for you, abuldotcom! Dogs -- most of them, anyway -- need exercise, and they really do suffer mental stress when confined to houses, small yards, or worst of all, cages. I wish more people would take their dogs (or their neighbour's dogs) out for a jog. Bravo!
I never see our neighbour took their dog out for a walk and it has been few months already. I really pity the doggy... she even sleep in the drain sometimes and out in the rain. She's cute but unfortunately her owner doesn't appreciate her much... dunno how to help her
Old 12-08-2010, 07:23 PM
PetFinder Guru

Marcelleve is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Marcelleve Send a message via Yahoo to Marcelleve Send a message via Skype™ to Marcelleve
Wink Re: How people see against Dog.

Hi Everyone,
I agree to Phatgurl
I'm Muslim in mixed race family.
My family is Christians but not all of them some of my relatives my uncles aunties, cousins and yes, we have dogs in my parents & some of my relatives home.
But they are tamed, not inside the cage or leash. They poo same like the cats (must have cat litter for them to poo, some of them poo on our toilet bowl). They are not pure breed, I think.It is only how you take care of your pets. They are mostly adopted or strays and some of them are being thrown in the garbage can or sewers.
We found them in very bad situation. Kutu etc...name it all.
I even help our stray dog gives birth. She was still sick and cannot even feed her babies.
Overall, I don't forget my faith as it is my personal choice and my family don't mind. It is not political for us. It is only by choice but we respect each other- my mom even provide for me my own cook pots and utensils.
'Coz it is so true, it really take time to wash hands and body but if you have good personal hygiene , I think you wont mind to take all the time. My mom personally take a bath more than 3 -5 x a day.
I am married to an Arabian which they have dogs as well esp in his home, he got 5 purebred Saluki and mix Ibizan hounds which is the normal common dogs there and 3 German Shepherd for guarding the house or farm, hunting small animals like rabbit and rats, as a police dog too..

I think it is only in Malaysia esp in the West side, so far I didn't see or meet people in Sabah 'coz some people don't like dogs or cats at all by telling you slowly n' not hit your pet, some love to eat them or they prefer to keep wild animals especially snakes & iguanas as pets :S.
We don't ask or make comments as people used to. It is very impolite & disrespectful. Who are they to judge you n your cute dog anyway!

It is so true, anyone can't change their mind or traditions by other's personal choice or to people who breaks taboo 'coz it is always depends on which society we live in.

Peace n harmony can be achieve by respect n' compromise to one another's choices - hitting your pet n' calling side comments are not healthy people coz if they have the rights to do to your pet like that ,theoretically speaking, how possible it is they can do that to you as well.

Quote:

Last edited by Marcelleve; 12-08-2010 at 07:40 PM.
Old 12-08-2010, 08:11 PM
PetFinder Moderator

dog is my buddy has disabled reputation

question How people see against Dog. Simple thing to do is dont bring the dog nearby them. Sometime I also dislike other people dog too. you know why, because my dogs hate that dog.

Sometimes,things in life are out of our control. We just need to accept the fact.
Rocky, Ricky and Rusty is my best friend.
Old 12-08-2010, 09:06 PM
Petfinder Moderator

Maneki Neko is on a distinguished road

Quote:
I never see our neighbour took their dog out for a walk and it has been few months already. I really pity the doggy... she even sleep in the drain sometimes and out in the rain. She's cute but unfortunately her owner doesn't appreciate her much... dunno how to help her
Hi, Phatgurl -- have you considered asking your neighbour if you could take their dog out for a walk? (If you are comfortable with dogs, I mean...)

Sometimes gentle suggestions can work well. Offering to walk their dog, offering to allow it to come into your compound to get out of the rain, etc. If they see that you are aware of the dog and care for her well-being, they may change their own attitudes and start taking better care of her.
Old 12-08-2010, 10:56 PM
PetFinder Buddy

abuldotcom is on a distinguished road

Sorry guys............ i guest i'm too carried away.... hehehe shame on me

hey, i dunno about that facebook, so thanx adrianng87..... surely to add the group........

yup phat gurl, why dont you try to ask your neighbour to walk their dog when you are free........ better now than never... because my FIFI gone already, not sure where my neighbour put her, and dont dare to ask,

i missed the time when she walk me to Petronas near my house.... hehehe she walk with me, not 'walk me'.. .
Old 12-09-2010, 10:55 AM
Love all pets

aku_ais is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to aku_ais

Quote:
and what do you mean by "M"?? Malay or Muslim? please DO NOT bring any racial or religious issue here, it is such a sensitive issue... you pissed off just because of they surprise to see your dog... maybe your dog is big and they dont see it at the first sight.... hermmmm
ya u're right abuldotcom.. what is Christinelwy's motive to bring up racial issue? *since Malays melatah with Bahasa Melayu*
hope u'll apologize regarding this issue... thanks

I am a muslim who have 2 dogs at my home... Even until now, it is not easy for people who pass by my house to accept that we are muslims.... Not even malays, i met a lot of other races who ran away when they see my dogs.... There's no racial issue here... if somebody have a bad experience with dogs, they will absolutely afraid of dogs rite?
I myself have few bad experiences with dogs, but i have overcome my fear since dogs are now my friends...

It's just that in Malaysia, a lot of people doesn't have the mentality that Muslims can have dogs... U just cannot let it enter your house and i didn't touch them since we are afraid that the dogs would want us to touch them all the time... mostly every evening i will ride my bicycle with my dogs following me... Yeah, most of them looked me with a strange feeling because i'm wearing tudung... this is what we have to change in Malaysian mentality....

Dogs are loyal... They have been protecting my house for nearly 3 years and Alhamdulillah, no bad things has happened to my house and family...
I fed them with BARF which i ordered from KL *i'm living in a district in Johor where its very difficult to get BARF there*... I still remembered the seller asked me "Eh,u ni Melayu ke ***** ye?I x pernah jumpa orang Melayu yang sanggup belikan makanan untuk stray dogs yang datang rumah. Very kind of you"...

So, let me make it clear here, in Malaysia, most of them think that dogs are very dangerous... * Eventhough some of them are dangerous,especially stray dogs* That is why people cannot change their perspective towards dog...
I hope Christinelwy will be ok with this... It will take time for other people to change their mentality... Goodluck!
Old 12-09-2010, 09:30 PM
PetFinder Guru

Marcelleve is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Marcelleve Send a message via Yahoo to Marcelleve Send a message via Skype™ to Marcelleve
Smile Re: How people see against Dog.

Hi aku_ais,

You are right and I feel your concerns.
You are not the only one who have dogs as Muslim person in the world even Malaysia, so don't worry.
You are right, it is not about race.
It is just that people have something to say in whatever other's personal choices be it a dog, a cat, a bird, and even what you wear or you look like etc.

An example as this is what happened to my friend today:
If they are foreigners who wears bikini near the beach, you would not see people raise their eyebrows 'coz they don't know they are Muslims or not.
Please try to wear a bikini and anyone in Malaysia esp brown or Malay looking.. be sure even that someone will talk bad things about it.
Do they know that not all Malays are Muslim as well??
Sabah alone got over 100 + ethnic race and different religion. Are we all Muslims? Are we all Malays? It doesn't mean we have brown or darker skin means that's what we are?
Even Kadazan or Iban they thought Chinese because of their fair skin and smaller eyes.
Maybe you thought I am Chinese... not purely and entirely true hahaha. My point is it really frustrating that we call each other by race and can remember all the 100++ physical features we got in Sabah plus Sarawak... fuh banyak nyah... Do you know what Muruts look like or Orang Sungai Malay and Sipadan Malay? what's the difference? hahahaha
We prefer Sabahan, Bornean or Sarawakian especially be called as Malaysian. I think people should know that here in the West. Johor got Jawa race and not only Malay race.

I have Muslim friends from England, Australia and even US who never look down upon here but in their own land some people have something to say, they have more democratic speeches and even one of them got thrown with rotten tomato when she suddenly raised up in her class and she says she is a Muslim and as she was saying this to her teacher 'one should not talk about and encourage against people's personal beliefs, it is against human rights and can go for trial for it'. She got hurled with rotten tomatoes, food and books... 'until she never went back to that school again.

Dogs and cats are same... some breeds like Spynx, Burmese for cats etc.... Saluki , Dobberman for dogs etc... like the home breed Iguana or a pet snake etc... , people got scared or feel weird or strange because of taboo.
They can't accept it because it is not common to their way of life. They easily feel intimidated and affected by anything that is not normal in their daily lives.
Like a chili in the ice cream which I tasted in Mexico. Some people hated it, disgusted by it or liked it but to some they love it .

Best Regards to all PF,
Eve
Quote:
Originally Posted by aku_ais View Post
ya u're right abuldotcom.. what is Christinelwy's motive to bring up racial issue? *since Malays melatah with Bahasa Melayu*
hope u'll apologize regarding this issue... thanks

I am a muslim who have 2 dogs at my home... Even until now, it is not easy for people who pass by my house to accept that we are muslims.... Not even malays, i met a lot of other races who ran away when they see my dogs.... There's no racial issue here... if somebody have a bad experience with dogs, they will absolutely afraid of dogs rite?
I myself have few bad experiences with dogs, but i have overcome my fear since dogs are now my friends...

It's just that in Malaysia, a lot of people doesn't have the mentality that Muslims can have dogs... U just cannot let it enter your house and i didn't touch them since we are afraid that the dogs would want us to touch them all the time... mostly every evening i will ride my bicycle with my dogs following me... Yeah, most of them looked me with a strange feeling because i'm wearing tudung... this is what we have to change in Malaysian mentality....

Dogs are loyal... They have been protecting my house for nearly 3 years and Alhamdulillah, no bad things has happened to my house and family...
I fed them with BARF which i ordered from KL *i'm living in a district in Johor where its very difficult to get BARF there*... I still remembered the seller asked me "Eh,u ni Melayu ke ***** ye?I x pernah jumpa orang Melayu yang sanggup belikan makanan untuk stray dogs yang datang rumah. Very kind of you"...

So, let me make it clear here, in Malaysia, most of them think that dogs are very dangerous... * Eventhough some of them are dangerous,especially stray dogs* That is why people cannot change their perspective towards dog...
I hope Christinelwy will be ok with this... It will take time for other people to change their mentality... Goodluck!

Last edited by Marcelleve; 12-09-2010 at 09:36 PM.
Old 01-12-2011, 02:23 PM
Animal Lover

Quote:
yup phat gurl, why dont you try to ask your neighbour to walk their dog when you are free........ better now than never... because my FIFI gone already, not sure where my neighbour put her, and dont dare to ask,
Dear Maneki & Abuldotcom,
I guess it's a bit too late know. Haven't seen her for a week already and last 2 days I managed asking my neighbour about her dog and guess what... she has left the home... for good

I was sad to hear it and keep on thinking how she's doing and whether she is in better hands. Hopefully someone found and takes good care of her because she deserves it.
Old 02-14-2011, 10:56 PM
The Shih Tzu Heiress

shizuka is on a distinguished road

I agree with you all guys. I also have same similar stories to share.
I was befriended a Malay lady and she was already well informed that i have a pet dog running around my house. I also already told her my dog never bite people and my dog also small in size beside, she is the cutest thing i've ever had in my life.
So what happened, my malay lady friend want to go my house for visit. I guess its fine because I reminded her many times about my dog. Before she enter my house i keep my Shih tzu inside the kitchen but i didn't aware that my brother let it out while i was talking with my friend at my living hall. But what happened that day really upset me until to this days. I was shocked of how my friend behave. My shih tzu only emerge or the kitchen door that is very far away from where we sit on the sofa. On the sight of my dog, my friend shrieks and screams like a mad woman. Pity my dog, she was really scared and started to barks and try to hide herself back to the kitchen. Still shocking of my friend behavior i tried to calm her down when finally she stop screaming. I was lucky that day because only me and my brother was at home. Otherwise, I don't know how the rest of my family would react.
Well since that day, our friendship breaks. What's done is done. She disrespect my home and personal life.
Another story involved my Ex-boyfriend. Already told him, i love my dog but he come my house simply smack smack my dog face with newspaper and say all bad things about my dog. Well as simple as that, one day he lives in the castle and being serve like a prince, another day he found himself living in the dog house for good. I ditched him. He doesn't deserve to share my wonderful life.
People, regardless of their race or religion if they hates animals they hates animals.