Go

Go Back   PetFinder.my > Pet Welfare, Rescue & Adoption > Rescuers & Fosterers

Rescuers & Fosterers For rescuers and fosterers, the true heroes of PetFinder.my

Old 12-15-2009, 02:00 PM
PetFinder Guru

melmel is on a distinguished road
Default MPK Pound Dog Rescue Mission Udrway

MyAnimalCare Notice Board

Diana, went to visit yesterday and brought kibbles for the dogs.

Please spread the word and help them get adopted.

Address of pound:
Pusat Kurungan Haiwan
Kawasan Perindustrian Bandar Sultan Sulaiman
North Port
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	mini-P1120094.JPG
Views:	113
Size:	21.3 KB
ID:	8485   Click image for larger version

Name:	mini-P1120097.JPG
Views:	123
Size:	23.9 KB
ID:	8486   Click image for larger version

Name:	mini-P1120100.JPG
Views:	210
Size:	21.6 KB
ID:	8487   Click image for larger version

Name:	mini-P1120104.JPG
Views:	110
Size:	26.6 KB
ID:	8488  
Old 12-15-2009, 02:06 PM
PetFinder Guru

Default Re: MPK Pound Dog Rescue Mission Udrway

MyAnimaCare Notice Board

Ever since the Klang Dog Pound issue was made public, we had been working very hard behind the scenes to help the dogs. We heard two big organisations were going to do something, so we were hoping they would.

Being just a small group and not a shelter, our resources are extremely limited. But still, everyone has to help, so this is what we did today, and what we will do tomorrow. Please read on...

We visited the Klang Dog Pound and rescued 12 puppies today. This is all thanks to Malaysian Dogs Deserve Better who told us they would take over the puppies and get them rehomed. We just do the rescue, and they will rehome. Now, that's what I call "Working Together for the Animals".

The day started with us getting absolutely LOST in Klang, looking for the dog pound. We asked for directions to get to the Pusat Kurungan Haiwan and were directed to a Pusat Lembu instead! Gosh! Anyway, we finally reached the place, one hour late. Luckily I had given a whole 1 hour allowance for ourselves.

Then, we met up with En Zakaria, a very kind man who is charge of the matters of the pound, who really has no choice because he is merely doing his duty, as requirement by the administration.

En Zakaria explained that there are public complaints EVERY DAY regarding stray dogs in Klang, and because of this, they are required to go on a catching spree TWICE a day. While we were there, we saw the van bring in six more very healthy looking dogs. There will be another trip later this evening.

We empathise with En Zakaria's predicament. I am sure none of us would want to be in his shoes. He told us how some people abandon their old dogs on the street, thereby contributing to the stray problem in Klang.

We also empathise with the two caretakers at the pound, Mr Balu and Mr Mano. They feel so sorry for the dogs, and yet, there is nothing anyone can do to help them.

If only people would not abandon their dogs...
If only people would actively practise CNRM on the strays...
If only people would be more tolerant of the stray animals and learn to live in harmony with them...

Saying "If only" is just talk....so we must do something about it. On our part, we have already got a panel vet in Klang for CNRM under AnimalCare. We are now finalising the details - will post it up in a few days' time. But we need the people of Klang to participate in our programme. We cannot do this alone.

And today, we rescued 12 puppies from the pound.

It is never about talking, it is always about doing.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	mini-CIMG0609.JPG
Views:	135
Size:	11.2 KB
ID:	8489   Click image for larger version

Name:	mini-CIMG0612.JPG
Views:	107
Size:	17.9 KB
ID:	8490   Click image for larger version

Name:	mini-CIMG0614.JPG
Views:	88
Size:	21.0 KB
ID:	8491  
Old 12-15-2009, 02:17 PM
PetFinder Guru

Pix 1 : Here are the really sad ones. This one keeps standing up and looking at me in the eye. I could almost hear her.."Please take me with you." I told her I will, tomorrow. I hope I can keep my promise, if all goes as planned tomorrow.

Pix 2 : Please take us home...please.

Pix 3 : More dogs. It breaks your heart...totally.

Pix 4 : What about me?

Pix 5 : Here it is....

Pix 6 :Six more caught this morning. All looked very healthy to me. Must be newly abandoned or lost. They all looked like pets (or former pets). We watched them put the six new dogs into the enclosure and our hearts broke into pieces.

Pix 7 : MDDB had brought two big packs of food for the dogs, so this puppy is asking for it. He must be extremely hungry. The dogs are only fed discarded bread every day. There is no other food unless good samaritans bring in leftovers for them. Mr Balu and Mr Manu also go to the nearby restaurants and ask for leftovers.

Pix 8 :We bought four packs of food too, but decided not to open them until these two packs have been used. We also brought cooked chicken liver and meat for them. Gosh, what a feast...especially when you have been only eating bread. Mr Balu says some of them simply refuse to eat the bread, because the bread is already spoilt.

Pix 9 : Eating kibbles now. Some don't like kibbles very much. But beggars can't be choosers now, can they? Poor things...

En Zakaria has very kindly consented to allow us to rescue 40 of the adults dogs tomorrow. More about this in the next posting...

Pix 10 : Will you take me tomorrow, please?

We brought the 12 puppies out in our own private cars, without cages. We had not expected to be able to rescue them, so we came unprepared. It was very easy picking them up since they were still puppies.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	mini-CIMG0618.JPG
Views:	120
Size:	22.4 KB
ID:	8492   Click image for larger version

Name:	mini-CIMG0620.JPG
Views:	203
Size:	18.7 KB
ID:	8493   Click image for larger version

Name:	mini-CIMG0621.JPG
Views:	93
Size:	19.2 KB
ID:	8494   Click image for larger version

Name:	mini-CIMG0622.JPG
Views:	85
Size:	14.5 KB
ID:	8495   Click image for larger version

Name:	mini-CIMG0624.JPG
Views:	125
Size:	17.8 KB
ID:	8496  

Name:	mini-CIMG0627.JPG
Views:	105
Size:	38.0 KB
ID:	8497   Click image for larger version

Name:	mini-CIMG0630.JPG
Views:	87
Size:	13.0 KB
ID:	8498   Click image for larger version

Name:	mini-CIMG0632.JPG
Views:	101
Size:	17.0 KB
ID:	8499   Click image for larger version

Name:	mini-CIMG0633.JPG
Size:	29.5 KB
ID:	8500   Click image for larger version

Name:	mini-CIMG0634.JPG
Views:	117
Size:	25.2 KB
ID:	8501  

Last edited by melmel; 12-15-2009 at 02:26 PM.
Old 12-15-2009, 02:38 PM
PetFinder Guru

We carried three in our car, and one was quite fierce, so he fought with the other two. I had to stop him, and ended up getting bitten (my thumb is still swollen now!). Then, I had to carry him so that the other two could have some peace. Later, he vomited on me - partially-digested food and two long wriggly worms! Poor thing, he must have been feeling a bit car-sick. And poor me, as well.

MDDB told us to bring them to their vet for a check-up first.

All finally slept, while waiting for their turn to be checked for Parvo and Distemper. Eight have been tested positive for these diseases, and need to be separated and fostered. Please help MDDB. They need funds, too.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	mini-CIMG0636.JPG
Size:	27.2 KB
ID:	8502   Click image for larger version

Name:	mini-CIMG0639.JPG
Size:	20.1 KB
ID:	8503   Click image for larger version

Name:	mini-CIMG0640.JPG
Views:	80
Size:	28.3 KB
ID:	8504  
Old 12-15-2009, 02:43 PM
PetFinder Guru

It is now 5.42am. Today is going to be a very challenging day. It was more than 3 years ago that I did a similar rescue operation from the Puchong Dog Pound where we took out 45 dogs from Puchong to their new shelter in Desa Petaling (the Ti-Ratana Community Centre). We were also working against time then. We had barely two hours to remove all the dogs before they were euthanised. We also had a family of a mum-dog and her eight puppies, born at the pound. I called her Selphie, and I took her and all the 8 puppies home with me for fostering.

Isn't it so uncanny how the conditions are so similar this time? Today is also the deadline for the Klang dogs, and we also have a mum-dog (with four puppies born at the pound). But we have 109 dogs to rescue, and we can only take out 40 because try as we did, we just could not find anywhere else which would be willing to take in these dogs.

But here's the big difference, this time we have two vets coming to help us check the dogs first. And the biggest difference is that the caretakers at the Klang Dog Pound are caring and sympathetic and they will help us.

But we are also travelling further, all the way out of the state.

Here's our plan for the dogs:

After getting them to the new shelter, we will bring a vet up to treat them, vaccinate and spay-neuter. We need help with funds.
Old 12-15-2009, 02:51 PM
PetFinder Guru

SMS received from MDDB :

Help. V currently hv 12 pups rescued fr d Klang pound. 8 of them tested +ve 4 distemper, parvo or corona. Tey r at a temporary place now as v cannot bring them 2 our 1/2 way home. d 8 pups had a better chance of curvival if tey were individually cared 4. U can put them in an unused bathroom or at d wet kitchen area. V'll provide food, medicine, cage, vitamin& everything else needed.

Pls help save their lives

Last edited by melmel; 12-15-2009 at 03:11 PM.
Old 12-16-2009, 01:50 PM
PetFinder Guru

36 innocent lives rescued today (Klang Dog Pound)

I started the day by submitting our letter of appeal for the waiver of the reclaimation fee to MPK. I managed to see the officer concerned at about 8.20am. He said he could not waive the fee, so I still had to pay, though, a reduced sum. And that was that. So, despite the help provided by the YB and a state councillor, the fee simply could not be waived.

When the meeting with the officer ended, it had begun to rain heavily in Klang. We quickly proceeded to the dog pound because the lorry was already waiting somewhere for directions to get in.

The rain was certainly no help at all, and I wondered how we were going to get the dogs onboard the lorry. There was no shaded place from where we could work.

Our two vets were there with us - Dr Khor and Dr Yap.

Pix 1 : Dr Khor with the dog whom I promised I would take today. Unfortunately, she was placed in the first enclosure where every other dog was very sick, and one had actually died. Dr Khor said she looked healthy enough. I was very determined to take her, because I could sense she wanted very much to go with us (since yesterday).

The condition of the dogs and the pound looked very different this morning compared to yesterday afternoon. This morning, we saw the dogs' faeces and urine and it was a most pitiful sight. There was diarrhoea, and blood-stained faeces as well. Many of the dogs were simply lying in their faeces. And this morning, we saw many sick dogs. It was a most pathetic sight. It is strange that yesterday, everyone looked healthy.

Pix 2 :Being hosed down.

Pix 3
:Our young vet, Dr Yap (in stripes), with his two assistants. He took the temperature of each dog that he examined while his assistant took down notes. We were obligated to take only healthy dogs, hence, this physical examination was necessary.

Pix 4 :A dog who had died in the night....poor thing.

Pix 5 :We took those who gave us "the look" - how could you say no? Dr Khor said to take those who looked bright, alert and those that came to us very easily. These were some of the ones we took.

Pix 6 :Yes, I promised this one I would take her yesterday, and I kept my promise. I took her despite the presence of the dead dog behind her and the fact that she was placed with all the sick dogs. She looked very bright and healthy. I was very relieved when Dr Yap examined her and her temperature was normal. YES!! You get to go, girl!

Pix 7 :Yes, yes, yes!! I carried her out, and put her into a small cage, which I then secured with rafia string.

Pix 8 : This was another one that we definitely had to take. She is SO incredibly active and cheerful. Had a nice collar too. And looks like our Dante. Dante2?

Pix 9 : I kept asking Dr Khor if we could take this one because he wanted to go too, but his signs did not look good. I think he had just been scalded with hot water, but Dr Khor did not think so. Poor thing... He could be treated for his skin condition, but we had no fosterers and no where to put him if we could not find any adopter later on.

Pix 10 :Every dog that the vets approved of, I quickly carried into a cage. The smaller ones shared a cage. We only had 17 cages, but we figured it would be enough.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	mini-CIMG0641.JPG
Views:	108
Size:	23.3 KB
ID:	8513   Click image for larger version

Name:	mini-CIMG0644.JPG
Size:	21.4 KB
ID:	8514   Click image for larger version

Name:	mini-CIMG0645.JPG
Views:	83
Size:	36.3 KB
ID:	8515   Click image for larger version

Name:	mini-CIMG0646.JPG
Views:	80
Size:	17.6 KB
ID:	8516   Click image for larger version

Name:	mini-CIMG0647.JPG
Size:	18.9 KB
ID:	8517  

Name:	mini-CIMG0648.JPG
Views:	81
Size:	17.0 KB
ID:	8518   Click image for larger version

Name:	mini-CIMG0649.JPG
Views:	92
Size:	17.3 KB
ID:	8519   Click image for larger version

Name:	mini-CIMG0652.JPG
Views:	104
Size:	32.9 KB
ID:	8520   Click image for larger version

Name:	mini-CIMG0658.JPG
Views:	95
Size:	27.9 KB
ID:	8521   Click image for larger version

Name:	mini-CIMG0660.JPG
Size:	34.2 KB
ID:	8522  

Old 12-16-2009, 01:58 PM
PetFinder Guru

Pix 1 : Another one who had died in the night...poor thing.

Pix 2 : This one wanted to go so much, he stuck his head out of the bars and got stuck. We took him along.

Pix 3 : We looked for dogs to fill up all the cages.

Pix 4 : The first row on the lorry.

Pix 5 : All waiting patiently to be loaded. These must be the most well-behaved pound dogs I'd ever seen. This goes to show that they must have been pets. In fact, Lisa thinks ALL of them had been pets before. None displayed the typical "stray" mannerisms.

Pix 6 : Almost all loaded and ready to go. After filling up the lorry to the brim, we took a total of 36 dogs. All the healthy ones were taken, along with some other "passable" ones. As agreed, I could not take the sick ones. I was very saddened by this, but in life, you cannot have everything your way. If you could, that's called heaven, not earth.

Pix 7 :The lorry was under an extremely tight schedule as it had to be back in KL by afternoon. The rain was certainly no help as it hindred us tremendously. All of us were wet.

Pix 8 : Off we went, on the long journey.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	mini-CIMG0671.JPG
Views:	96
Size:	20.0 KB
ID:	8523   Click image for larger version

Name:	mini-CIMG0672.JPG
Views:	89
Size:	24.5 KB
ID:	8524   Click image for larger version

Name:	mini-CIMG0675.JPG
Views:	94
Size:	38.7 KB
ID:	8525   Click image for larger version

Name:	mini-CIMG0683.JPG
Size:	29.7 KB
ID:	8526   Click image for larger version

Name:	mini-CIMG0687.JPG
Views:	76
Size:	31.8 KB
ID:	8527  

Name:	mini-CIMG0700.JPG
Views:	106
Size:	32.2 KB
ID:	8528   Click image for larger version

Name:	mini-CIMG0708.JPG
Size:	16.7 KB
ID:	8529  
Old 12-16-2009, 02:10 PM
PetFinder Guru

To LLLP (Lotus Life Liberation Park). I had negotiated for days to get these 40 places for them, while awaiting two organisations to "do something". I did not want to move in because I believe the other organisations would definitely have better options (LLLP would be a last option), but seeing that up until Monday, no one had done anything, I had to do something on the D-Day. These dogs were going to be euthanised today, and would have been, if I had not taken them out.

LLLP is definitely better than being euthanised - that is what I think, and I will take full responsibility, karmic or otherwise, for this decision. I know my intentions are purely to save these innocent lives, the only way I knew how and this was the only option I had.

The moment we arrived at the gates of LLLP, a friendly helper was on hand to open the gates for us, and Peter Pan and another farm dog were happily wagging their tails. Peter Pan greeted me warmly and made pawprints on my tshirt!

Pix 1 : The agitated ones, we brought closer to the door of the enclosure before carrying them out. This was to minimise their anxiety...and also lighten our burden!

Pix 2 :Here's Bro Sui, and his ever-friendy helpers, helping us unload the cages quickly so that the lorry could go back to KL. We were running on an extremely tight schedule.

Pix 3 : All girls go into the smaller enclosure. We separated the girls and the boys since none had been spayed/neutered yet

Pix 4 : The dogs waited patiently to be put into their new enclosures. This was an extremely slow procedure, because we actually did the move with only three people today - just myself and two volunteers. I ended up carrying most of the dogs into the enclosures, one by one. None of the dogs howled or barked despite having endured the almost two-hour journey. They merely waited very patiently. They were so, so well-behaved. Because we were so short-handed (in people who could carry them into the cage), we took some time to do this.

Pix 5 : Another girl, and a big one too (I mean, the dog)!

Pix 6 : A big boy...

Pix 7 : The girls' room. I was so happy they loved the vegetarian kibbles! One dog was very depressed and sat in the corner, but when the kibbles was strewn on the floor, she came to eat too.

Pix 8 :Good girl! And that's Selphie (that's the name I've given to the one whom I promised to save yesterday - the black and gold one beside me.) I've named her after the mother-dog I rescued 3 1/2 years ago from the Puchong Dog Pound. According to Dr Yap earlier at the pound, Selphie had probably given birth before, looking at her teats.

Pix 9 :The boys settled in pretty well after they were fed So I did not want to go into their enclosure and excite them. Let them rest, the poor things.

Pix 10 : More of the boys.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	mini-CIMG0713.JPG
Views:	74
Size:	25.0 KB
ID:	8530   Click image for larger version

Name:	mini-CIMG0714.JPG
Size:	41.7 KB
ID:	8531   Click image for larger version

Name:	mini-CIMG0717.JPG
Size:	39.7 KB
ID:	8532   Click image for larger version

Name:	mini-CIMG0718.JPG
Views:	75
Size:	46.7 KB
ID:	8533   Click image for larger version

Name:	mini-CIMG0719.JPG
Views:	82
Size:	36.3 KB
ID:	8534  

Name:	mini-CIMG0721.JPG
Size:	38.4 KB
ID:	8535   Click image for larger version

Name:	mini-CIMG0730.JPG
Views:	77
Size:	25.7 KB
ID:	8537   Click image for larger version

Name:	mini-CIMG0743.JPG
Size:	20.6 KB
ID:	8538   Click image for larger version

Name:	mini-CIMG0757.JPG
Views:	78
Size:	24.8 KB
ID:	8540   Click image for larger version

Name:	mini-CIMG0756.JPG
Views:	73
Size:	23.4 KB
ID:	8541  

Last edited by melmel; 12-16-2009 at 02:23 PM.
Old 12-16-2009, 02:32 PM
PetFinder Guru

There's one bully in the boys' room and also one in the girls' room. We told the helpers to keep an eye on these two.

Pix 1 :Peek-a-boo!!

One black dog (male) escaped as we were trying to get him into the enclosure. We figured he would not run too far. We were actually too tired to go after him.

Pix 2 :True enough, he came back after half an hour or so.

Pix 3 :I put food out for him, and moved away. He came close and started to eat. Since he is male, I'm not too worried even if we can't get him into the enclosure.

Pix 4 :These are the three agitated ones. We decided to keep them in the cage for a few hours to calm them down. One of them bit me, but it wasn't serious at all. More of a warning bite. Later in the afternoon, they ate the vege kibbles and all three fell asleep inside the cage.

Pix 5 : By the time we had finished getting every dog into the enclosures (each one had to be carried), my tshirt had every kind of stain you could think of - faecal, vomit, mud, soil. You name it, I've got it.

Pix 6 :Ahh...visitors!

Pix 7 : Lisa decided to take this one home. She figured the helpers on the farm might not know how to take care of his long hair. His hair was so badly matted up, we weren't even sure if he was male or female! But I suspect he is some sort of pedigree.

Pix 8 :Lisa wanted to take this scruffy little one too, but Bro Sui and the helpers wanted him as their pet, so he got to stay. Bro Sui instructed the helpers to cut his hair short and give him a bath soon.

Pix 9 :We only brought eggs on this trip. There was no space in the car for vege kibbles this round because we had to carry all the cages in our cars, maximising the space. We will bring the kibbles on our next trip.

Before we left, we made one round to look at the dogs again, but from afar. By then, they had all settled in and were calm. I did not want to excite them unnecessarily again.

Pix 10 :Our run-away renegade was nearby. I wonder if he wanted to get into the enclosure with his buddies? Never mind, we'll just leave him alone for now.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	mini-CIMG0759.JPG
Size:	10.9 KB
ID:	8542   Click image for larger version

Name:	mini-CIMG0761.JPG
Size:	40.3 KB
ID:	8543   Click image for larger version

Name:	mini-CIMG0763.JPG
Views:	70
Size:	19.1 KB
ID:	8544   Click image for larger version

Name:	mini-CIMG0754.JPG
Size:	35.3 KB
ID:	8545   Click image for larger version

Name:	mini-CIMG0749.JPG
Views:	86
Size:	21.8 KB
ID:	8546  

Name:	mini-CIMG0773.JPG
Size:	20.9 KB
ID:	8547   Click image for larger version

Name:	mini-CIMG0726.JPG
Size:	39.9 KB
ID:	8548   Click image for larger version

Name:	mini-CIMG0767.JPG
Size:	28.1 KB
ID:	8549   Click image for larger version

Name:	Egg-Jpeq.JPG
Size:	19.5 KB
ID:	8550   Click image for larger version

Name:	mini-CIMG0776.JPG
Size:	42.7 KB
ID:	8551  

Old 12-16-2009, 02:36 PM
PetFinder Guru

Our next course of action is the following:

1. Get the dogs spayed/neutered as soon as we can. We would be bringing our vet up to Bentong to get this done. The cost is RM150 per dog.

2. Get the dogs rehomed to Bentong people, or even Klang Valley people, if they do not mind travelling up to Bentong to get the dogs. If interested, please write to me.

IMPORTANT: If anyone of you reading this posting see your lost dog in the photos, please let me know. You may reclaim your dog from us.

While at the pound, I also wanted to take yesterday's "catch" (the six healthy-looking dogs), but I was told not to, in case their owners come to reclaim them. But every dog that comes into the pound is only give one week to live after which he/she will be euthanised.

Please help us in whatever way you can.

Please do not forget that though we have rescued 36 dogs today, there would be more coming into the Klang Pound (or other pounds) next week, and the week after that, etc. Please encourage everyone to do CNRM as a longterm solution to this perpetual, seemingly never-ending problem. It will end (or at least be reduced) with active CNRM from the community, but we have to start it somewhere and everyone has to help.

Please also remember that the dogs in the Klang Pound are only fed discarded bread. If you'd like to help them get a decent meal, please bring dog food (or cooked chicken and rice) to the pound and feed them yourself.

Address: Pusat Kurungan Haiwan, Kawasan Perindustrian Bandar Sultan Sulaiman, North Port

Tomorrow, I would still need to go to MPK to settle the reclaimation fee for today's rescue mission. It was not waived, but reduced (this reduction is from the kind efforts of En Zakaria, who spoke up for us at the meeting yesterday). We wish to thank him for this kind favour.

We also wish to thank the vets who helped us at the pound, Dr Yap and Dr Khor, who made time for us despite their work schedules.

And Lisa, for joining us on this rescue mission and getting us Dr Yap. Mandy, for helping us with the planning. Erica and Alicia, for the kind and encouraging smses while we were doing the work today. It helps very much to know you are rooting for us, albeit from far away.

We want to again, thank Bro Jeen Lim, for letting us use his lorry without which there would be no rescue. And of course, LLLP, for consenting to accept these dogs under such short notice.

And last but not least, thank YOU, everyone, for your moral support and kind blessings.

May all beings be well and happy (and free from being euthanised).

Note: The reason why this posting came up so late is that the moment I got home at 6pm, I had to rush down to KL to deliver a public talk. One wrong turning, and I landed up in Bangsar, and got horribly lost for more than one hour in the dreadful rainy weekday KL-jam. I finally reached my destination, delivered my talk, and got home, after crawling through the federal highway, at 11pm and had my dinner. But that's life. You pack as much as you can into each day, because you'd want to go to bed with the feeling that the day's been worth living. And, if perchance, you die in your sleep, you can go peacefully knowing that you've done your best for the day.
Old 12-17-2009, 01:03 PM
PetFinder Guru

M'sia Dog Deserve Better (MDDB) Notice Board :

The Klang Municipal Council is at it again soon after the Pulau Ketam fiasco. This time around they have sent their dog catchers on a rampage to catch dogs several times a day including at night.

The dog catchers are paid an allowance of RM 10 for every dog caught in addition to their monthly salaries as MPK employees. As a result many many pet dogs have been detained and taken to the MPK pound in Bandar Sultan Sulaiman.

Now, in order for such massive dog catching operations to be carried out, the pound must have the proper infrastructure such as an isolation bay, quarantine area as well as separate holding areas for pets and strays. When dogs are stressed, deadly infections such as distemper, parvo and corona sets in. These infections are deadly and very very contagious.

An pet owner comes to the pound to ‘bail out’ his dog which had been placed in the cage with many other dogs, some of them infected with these deadly viruses. Of course, the pet dog has a 90 percent chance of infection.

The owner takes the dog back and he has other dogs at home. All of them will also be infected and the infection will also quickly spread to pets owned by anyone who visits the home as well as other dogs in the vicinity. What results next is a pandemic of massive proportions.

Those managing and running the operations at the MPK haven’t the faintest idea what these viruses are but yet go on cramming the pound with countless dogs daily. When queried they say they are acting because of numerous complaints by Klang residents.

But Klang residents also complain about potholes, overgrown bushes, clogged drains and restaurants located in houses, as well as many other things – but nothing has ever been done about these things.

I know – I am after all a Klang resident.
To make matters worse – there is no budget in their dog catching antics for food and so the dogs are being starved. Some appear to have died of starvation. Several NGOs including us have dispatched dog biscuits but how long can we do this?

Don’t they know that they have to make provisions for food when embarking on such a big blood-thirsty enterprise?

Anyway, another NGO My Animal Care has rescued almost 36 dogs from the pound and sent them off to a sanctuary. They have also given us 21 puppies and 2 dogs. Eight of the 21 puppies tested positive for distemper, corona and parvo viruses. This has proven our fears that the clueless MPK folks are cross contaminating dogs indiscriminately.

There are now being cared for by us and our fosterers. We are desperately hoping that the rest are safe. The second batch of puppies brought in by MyAnimalCare were so traumatized that they were ferocious and behaved like gremlins.

They will need a lot of time before they feel safe being around people. They bit the vet as well as her assistant who were testing them for the viruses. Can’t the Pakatan Rakyat do something? Are they so bloody weak that they have no control over the local councils? Or is that because they don’t give a rat’s posterior about these dogs which are deemed defiling?

Whatever it is Selangor is supposed to be a developed state – what’s the point of being a developed state when the local councils are still so very neanderthal ? And ideal situation would be for the local council to have educational programmes in tandem with the Department of Veterinary Services (DVS) to educate the people of Klang on pet care and the importance to neuter.

They should also emabrk on the TrapNeuterAndRelease/Manage (TNR/TNM) programme to battle the stray problems. If it can work in Indonesia, India and nepal so well - it should work very very well in a developed state like Selangor.
Old 12-17-2009, 01:09 PM
PetFinder Guru

MDDB Notice Board :

Rescued Dogs fr MPK

We are desperate. We have placed six sick puppies with fosterers and need more people to take in the rest until they are well. they four that tested negative yesterday seem to have other problems - one has a prolapsed anus, another is coughing and a third seems to have lost its apetite.

We also have six puppies which are so traumatised that they have become little monsters of sorts. Its starting all over for us and we are going to be horribly strapped for cash as treating these pups can be very expensive.
We are thankful that a friend and fellow rescuer has taken in the mother dog and four pups for us temporarily. We also have Cindy with the facial wounds to care for in addition to the distemper, parvo and corona cases.

To make matters worse - we have our healthy puppies at the half way home that are pending adoption. We do not want to compromise on their well-being and need to get them adopted as soon as possible. Please help. Our apologies for the pics being all mixed-up - but the captions will explain. The puppies had rafia string tied around their necks to identify the infections - blue for parvo, green for distemper and yellow for corona.

You'll note that some of the puppies have nore than one coloured string and this means that they have multiple infections.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	14122009143.jpg
Size:	31.5 KB
ID:	8567   Click image for larger version

Name:	14122009145.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	32.9 KB
ID:	8568   Click image for larger version

Name:	14122009147.jpg
Size:	44.2 KB
ID:	8569   Click image for larger version

Name:	14122009149.jpg
Size:	20.9 KB
ID:	8570   Click image for larger version

Name:	14122009151.jpg
Size:	50.0 KB
ID:	8571  

Name:	14122009155.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	43.3 KB
ID:	8572   Click image for larger version

Name:	14122009158.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	27.9 KB
ID:	8573   Click image for larger version

Name:	16122009159.jpg
Size:	33.5 KB
ID:	8574   Click image for larger version

Name:	16122009160.jpg
Views:	79
Size:	28.1 KB
ID:	8575   Click image for larger version

Name:	16122009161.jpg
Size:	37.5 KB
ID:	8576  

Old 12-17-2009, 01:11 PM
PetFinder Guru

MDDB Notice Board :

Rescued Dogs fr MPK Pound
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	16122009165.jpg
Size:	29.1 KB
ID:	8577   Click image for larger version

Name:	16122009166.jpg
Views:	73
Size:	46.4 KB
ID:	8578   Click image for larger version

Name:	16122009168.jpg
Size:	52.9 KB
ID:	8579  
Old 12-17-2009, 01:12 PM
PetFinder Guru

MDDB Notice Board :

Given the gravity of the dog catching rampage in Klang - MDDB is calling for a peaceful gathering of animal lovers and sympathisers at Klang Municipal Council Dog Pound this Saturday between 12.00pm to 1.00pm. We have no other choice other than doing this to show the council that they should immediately stop what they are doing to prevent the unnecessary suffering of these animals as well the possible outbreak of distemper, parvo and corona outbreak in Klang. Please join us - you can bring banners and placards as well as canddles to remember the dogs whih had suffered and died at the pound. The dogs are kept at Pusat Kurungan Haiwan, Kawasan Perindustrian Bandar Sultan Sulaiman, Northport. Call us at 019-3576477, 012-3739007 or write to us to find out more.
Old 12-17-2009, 01:15 PM
PetFinder Guru

MDDB Notice Board :

Adoption Drive

Since we need the space to treat the Klang pound puppies, we have to have an impromptu adoption drive at the home of one MDDB's wellwishers in Klang. We have many puppies which are ready for adoption.

Details:

Date: Sunday, Dec 20

Venue: No 48, Jalan Kemuning, Taman Gembira, 41000, Klang

Time: 1.00pm to 5.00pm

Details: 019-3576477, 012-3739007
Old 12-17-2009, 01:31 PM
PetFinder Guru

MyAnimacare Notice Board :

This evening, SPCA's chairperson, Ms Christine Chin, sent me two messages to share our joy in having rescued these 36 dogs.

I thanked her most kindly. I had also been advised by friends that SPCA, through MissionHelp, might be able to spay-neuter for free under their existing campaign, so I enquired if this was possible.

Christine said yes.

So, I've written the email-request now, and plans are underway to make the necesary arrangements for this in Bentong.

This offer would save us thousands (of ringgit), and we can concentrate on raising funds to provide food for these dogs for life (the vege kibbles are more expensive than meat kibbles). We are very grateful for this.

At the end of the day, everything we do should benefit the dogs, and everything we collect must "go to the dogs" (I mean this literally, of course!).

We are equally grateful to the donations that have come in since yesterday. I will be putting up a posting to thank our donors as soon as I can.

Yesterday, Mr Edward Lim of PAWS also offered to do spaying and neutering for free, but the dogs had to be sent to PAWS for this purpose. We cannot possibly transport them back again from Bentong as the journey would be too stressful for them. All the same, I thanked Edward very much for his kind offer. He did not know we had already moved the dogs to Bentong.

Thank you, everyone, for helping these dogs.

Working Together for the Animals!
Old 12-17-2009, 01:36 PM
PetFinder Guru

MyAnimalCare Notice Board :

"Cinderella" and 10 more rescued today (Klang Dog Pound)

Remember her? She is the one with the facial wound, and she wanted very much to go with us yesterday, but our vet reminded us that we had no vet in Bentong to treat her, and her wounds might go from bad to worse. Also, LLLP had set the condition that we could only bring in healthy dogs, approved by vets.

My heart was very heavy all day, and the picture of her standing up looking at her friends being loaded into cages and then, onto the lorry, was playing in my mind all day, even while we were in Bentong. I felt so bad, but our hands were tight. Our resources were so limited and we had to work within them.

I really wished I could take her because I could feel that she wanted to go with us.

MDDB's Wani saw my posting (and the dog's photo) and offered to find a fosterer for her if I could get her out of the pound. I jumped at the chance! I almost couldn't believe this...

So, off we went for another round of (totally unplanned) rescue work. Also, we had to take the mother-dog and her four puppies, whom MDDB was going to foster as well.

And yes, we missed this one two days ago when we did the 12-puppy rescue. He had gone into the drain to hide and we couldn't get him out. This afternoon, he was out in the open, so I decided to catch him unawares before he scuttled into the drain again.

I went real close, from behind, as stealthily as I could....shh....gosh, I could see (and so can you) two huge ticks on his back. And...

Ouch, ouch, he was so fast, he turned around and bit me real hard! And it bled profusely. Well, that's a "good thing" because bleeding sheds toxins. Still, puppy bites are quite toxic, I know. Well, never mind, I just had my anti-tetanus shot a few months ago.

I quickly put him in a cage, but he bit me some more! Strong and confident little guy, I must say... Mr Balu was surprised how I caught him when he saw him in the cage. "Dia gigit lah...", he said (translation: he bites).

Since yesterday, after we left, two new batches of dogs had been brought in and amongst these, were five new puppies.

I called MDDB and asked if they could find fosterers and they said yes. So I told Mr Balu we'd take them all. Three of them were quite fierce. Mr Balu liked one of them and said he would be taking it back as his pet.

So, we took the four. Sorry guys, you have to squeeze a bit. It's just a short ride to the vet's. It's a ride that can save your life, so please bear with it.

Now, it's your turn....I'm calling her "Cinderella", or Cindy, for short (the one with the facial wound).

Mr Balu (the caretaker) says she used to be fat, but all I see now is skin and bones.

Even En Zakaria told me that this morning - that the dogs are fat when brought in, but after a week, they are stick thin already and can even squeeze through the bars. Well, that is not surprising if bread is the only thing fed to them...

Cindy followed me out as I opened the door - she understood. I hugged her and told her I would be taking her to a safe place. I told her I was so sorry I could not take her yesterday.

I told Mr Balu to put a rope around her neck as a leash, just in case. I was not about to lose her. Absolutely not!

So, after loading the ten of them (the mother and four puppies, and another four puppies, and the drain-dweller), I led Cindy into the car with me. She followed me most willingly, with Mr Balu holding the leash.

In the car, I made her stand and rest her front paws on my chest. She is so big!! Mr Balu said bye-bye to her.

As we drove, Cindy decided she wasn't too comfortable and started fidgetting. She finally stepped up and snuggled up on my lap. Ahh...that's more like it. I could also hug her all the way. What bliss....

When we finally reached the clinic, it was raining (again!). We got all the dogs out in the rain, and into the clinic.

Cindy was examined first. We were so glad (and quite surprised) to learn that she was tested negative for parvo, distemper and heartworm. Wow...a very strong girl! (despite being exposed to so much disease at the pound).

The vet said the wound looked like an acid scald. Gosh...human cruelty knows no bounds. Cindy is such a loving creature, who could do such a cruel thing to her?

But I'm so glad I had the chance to rescue her, and now, MDDB will look after her.

A fosterer came to collect the mother-dog and her four puppies.

The other puppies were also examined, but we could not stay on. Traffic was building up and we had to go home.

Please help us spread this message - do not ever abandon your pets, and please practise CNRM - it saves lives.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	mini-CIMG0649.JPG
Size:	26.8 KB
ID:	8580   Click image for larger version

Name:	mini-CIMG0783.JPG
Size:	31.0 KB
ID:	8581   Click image for larger version

Name:	mini-CIMG0785.JPG
Size:	44.7 KB
ID:	8582   Click image for larger version

Name:	mini-CIMG0787.JPG
Size:	61.8 KB
ID:	8583   Click image for larger version

Name:	mini-CIMG0790.JPG
Size:	34.2 KB
ID:	8584  

Name:	mini-CIMG0794.JPG
Size:	35.9 KB
ID:	8585   Click image for larger version

Name:	mini-CIMG0798.JPG
Views:	84
Size:	32.3 KB
ID:	8586   Click image for larger version

Name:	mini-CIMG0799.JPG
Size:	20.0 KB
ID:	8587   Click image for larger version

Name:	mini-CIMG0805.JPG
Size:	31.8 KB
ID:	8588   Click image for larger version

Name:	mini-CIMG0806.JPG
Size:	18.5 KB
ID:	8589  

Old 12-17-2009, 01:39 PM
PetFinder Guru

SMS Received fr d Chairperson Christine Chin of SPCA :

SPCA will spay / neuter all 36 dogs rescued fr MPK pound for free .
Old 12-17-2009, 01:42 PM
PetFinder Guru

MyAnimalCare Notice Board :

The plight of the Klang dogs at the pound

First thing this morning, I received two missed calls from MPK - I had to go down to pay the reclaimation fees for the 36 dogs we rescued yesterday. I know, and I remember, but I was just still quite dead tired from yesterday's rescue and me getting lost in Bangsar (more because of the latter, actually!). So, off I went to make the payment as per agreed.

En Zakaria was very sympathetic. He says it is not like they want to kill the dogs, but there has been a lot of complaints from the public. They have to act on every complaint. Hence, the trucks go out twice a day to round up the dogs. After a week, if no one claims them, they are euthanised. Every week, the pound is full (and there are TWO pounds in Klang itself).

I asked why the dogs are only fed discarded bread. He said there is actually no budget from the adminstration for food for these dogs since they are expected to be euthanised after a week. It is also not often that these dogs are reclaimed by their owners. So, it is usually certain death for those caught.

En Zakaria says many of these dogs are abandoned by their owners and not strays. Yes, I can see that for myself too. They are definitely former pets. They are so people-friendly.

I want to appeal to people NOT to abandon their pets, please, but then again, those who do would not be reading this blog.

So, instead, I want to appeal to animal-lovers, especially those living in Klang, to please donate dog food or cooked chicken and rice to the pound. Please bring the food and feed the animals yourself.

Come and see for yourself, and see how much the dogs want the company of humans. Most of them are very people-friendly. And why not? They used to be someone's favourite companion, not too long ago, before they were thrown out.

Come and see for yourself, the plight of these poor dogs, and help us promote CNRM in Klang. Help us spread the message to people (not only in Klang, but everywhere else) that all animals are living beings with feelings, emotions and the ability to feel pain and suffering.

Those of you with pets, PLEASE never, never let your pet out of your house compound. Don't let them be caught, please.

Please empathise with the plight of these animals and let's do our best to help them. Help us get people to come and adopt them, and save them from forced death.