Go

Go Back   PetFinder.my > The Animal Corner > Dogs & Puppies > Health, Disease & Diet

Health, Disease & Diet Find out the best tips and practices on managing your dog's diet, health care, and issues with diseases from our community of animal lovers

Old 06-24-2009, 02:02 PM
PetFinder Moderator

dog is my buddy has disabled reputation
Default Warning - Do NOT Feed These Foods to Your Dog

You know that I'm a big believer in nutrition. A week or so ago, I sent you a newsletter about 5 harmful foods that you should NEVER give to your dog. They were:

Alcoholic Beverages
Apples, Apricots, Cherries, Peaches and Plums
Grapes and Raisins
Baking Powder and Baking Soda
Chocolate
While these foods may prove harmful to your dog, this list of dangerous foods was not complete, and I wanted to make sure that no one thought it was. So today, I'm going to tell you about some more foods that you should not feed to your dog.

There are several more dangerous and potentially harmful foods that you should never feed your dog. They are:

1. Coffee (grounds and beans). Coffee grounds or beans can cause "caffeine" toxicity in dogs.

2. Fatty Foods. Dogs love rich fatty foods. They often get these foods as treats, leftovers or from getting into the trash. Fatty foods can cause pancreatitis in any pet except miniature or toy poodles. Cocker spaniels and miniature schnauzers are particularly prone to pancreatitis. The dog may become very sick very quickly.

3. Dairy Products . Dairy products are not highly dangerous but can pose problems for two reasons. Dairy products have a high fat content, and like other fatty foods, they could cause pancreatitis. The second danger is that pets digest dairy products poorly.

4. Macadamia Nuts. Macadamia nuts, also called the Queensland or Australia nut, can be toxic ... but we don't know why. The reason may be a mystery, but the evidence is clear. As few as six to 40 macadamia nuts have been shown to cause severe toxic symptoms in dogs.

5. Moldy or Spoiled Food . Dogs love to get into the trash. A medical problem arises when the trash contains moldy or spoiled food. In addition to food poisoning, some pets can develop tremors related to the ingestion of certain molds.

6. Nutmeg. You may not realize this but high levels of nutmeg can be toxic - even fatal. The toxicity principle is not well understood, but signs of toxicity include tremors, seizures, nervous system abnormalities and death.

7. Onions or Garlic . Dogs and cats lack the enzyme necessary to properly digest onions. A dog or cat that eats onions may experience gas, vomiting, diarrhea or severe gastrointestinal distress. All forms of onion and garlic are problematic, including raw, dehydrated, cooked or powder.ed forms. If large amounts of onion or garlic are ingested, or if onions are a part of your dog's daily diet, the red blood cells may become fragile and break apart.

8. Xylitol (sugar substitute). Xylitol is a sweetener made from sugar-alcohol.It is found in sugar-free human food products, such as chewing gum and candy.

9. Yeast Dough . When ingested, bread or yeast dough will "rise" in your dog's stomach just as rises in bread. This creates two problems. The dough often expands to many times its original size while inside your dog's stomach, causing your dog's stomach to expand as well. As the dough rises and ferments, alcohol is produced which can cause "alcohol toxicity."

By Dr. Jon

Sometimes,things in life are out of our control. We just need to accept the fact.
Rocky, Ricky and Rusty is my best friend.
Old 06-24-2009, 02:35 PM
Animal Lover

weetingtan is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Warning - Do NOT Feed These Foods to Your Dog

is that true that apply is harmful to dogs? to mini schnauzer as well?
Old 06-24-2009, 02:58 PM
PetFinder Guru

lynielime is on a distinguished road

great article DIMB!!
Old 06-24-2009, 03:11 PM
PetFinder Buddy

JScott is on a distinguished road

Yeah also these plants and what to do List below:

Pages are a bit slow to load but its a good read to add on to DIMB's article.

http://www.aspca.org/pet-care/poison...s-of-2008.html

http://www.aspca.org/pet-care/poison-control/plants/

http://www.aspca.org/pet-care/poison...us-plants.html

http://www.aspca.org/pet-care/poison...ntrol-faq.html
Old 06-24-2009, 04:45 PM
PetFinder Moderator

Apple seeds, cherry pits, peach pits, pear pips, plums pits, and apricot pits contain cyanide, which is poisonous. While a few apple seeds may not cause a problem, the effects can accumulate over time if they are given to dogs regularly. Dogs should not be allowed to chew on a peach pit, cherry pit, apricot pit, or plum pit. Chewing can allow ingestion of cyanide. Chewing could also result in the pit being swallowed, causing continuous exposure to cyanide, or could cause the dog to choke,

for your question,is Yes

Apple seeds contain cyanides which can and does build up in a dogs system.
-frothing at the mouth

- dyspnea

- hyperexcitability

- seizures, tonic‑clonic

- struggling

- additional reported signs include:

- respiratory depression, severe

- bradypnea - decreased breathing rate

- loss of consciousness

- coma and death

- miosis - different sized pupils

- conjunctival cyanosis - blue mucous membranes

Cyanide poisoning can some times be detected by a distinct bitter almond smell, but only a certain percentage of humans are able to detect this smell. Diagnosis is often made based on biopsy of the liver, unfortunately its typically found too late.

Quote:
Originally Posted by weetingtan View Post
is that true that apply is harmful to dogs? to mini schnauzer as well?

Sometimes,things in life are out of our control. We just need to accept the fact.
Old 06-25-2009, 07:44 AM
PetFinder Guru

hatemetoday is on a distinguished road

sorry can i join, eventho im just a cat owner..how bout berries and sweet potatoes? coz currently the kibble my cats consume have these two ingredients..any long term effect?..tqs
Old 06-25-2009, 07:56 AM
PetFinder Guru

lynielime is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by hatemetoday View Post
sorry can i join, eventho im just a cat owner..how bout berries and sweet potatoes? coz currently the kibble my cats consume have these two ingredients..any long term effect?..tqs
i'm not sure about sweet potatoes but i think berries are fine for cats. they're for maintenance of urinary tract health and are a rich source of antioxidants..
Old 06-25-2009, 08:01 AM
PetFinder Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynielime View Post
i'm not sure about sweet potatoes but i think berries are fine for cats. they're for maintenance of urinary tract health and are a rich source of antioxidants..

thank you darling..we wait for expert to comment on sweet potatoes..as ive read somewhere that potatoes are not good for cat but cant remember much ..but pumpkin is good for them for furball elimination...
Old 06-25-2009, 08:38 AM
Pets Are NOT Disposable

FurKids is on a distinguished road

Grapes, raisins and such are toxic to cats. One single grape is enough to make your cat very ill. So will a single tomato. The cat will quickly become anaemic because the red blood cells will burst and the cat turn very pale and can die in a couple of days unless a blood transfussion is carried out fast.

I am aware that a few cat food manufacturers use cranberry, known to be beneficial to urinary tract hygiene in humans but some others use methionine to maintain the urinary system at a slightly acidic pH of 6-6.5 together with a low ash and low magnesium formula.

Also, a certain cat food manufacturer uses avocado in their cat food for its antioxidant properties but there are also reports that avocado is toxic to cats.

But these manufacturers insist the usage is at a small and safe, therapeutic level.

One example is one brand of Brewer's Yeast for cats and dogs which contains some garlic which the manufacturers claim is added at a safe, therapeutic level.

Cats die of poisoning very easily because unlike humans, their livers do not possess the "poison pathway".
"We organized in the past to make Trap-Neuter-Return possible. Today, we organize to make Trap-Neuter-Return the norm and to end the unnecessary killing of cats in animal shelters across the country and provide humane care." - Alley Cat Allies

Last edited by FurKids; 06-25-2009 at 10:12 AM. Reason: Cat liver does not have the "poison pathway" ...
Old 06-25-2009, 08:54 AM
Pets Are NOT Disposable

DIMB, recently there was an article in The Star newspaper about Meen's Barkery in KL which is a shop offering baked dog biscuits and treats. I remember Meen (she was an animal nurse) making a statement that she includes garlic in her dog biscuits because garlic is toxic to cats but not to dogs.

Do you think you can check out this discrepancy for the dog lovers, please, DIMB? Because I read somewhere that, kalau tak silap, even a single clove of garlic has pretty potent effect. Some toxic substances do not effect a fatality immediately but is has an accumulative effect, like arsenic.
"We organized in the past to make Trap-Neuter-Return possible. Today, we organize to make Trap-Neuter-Return the norm and to end the unnecessary killing of cats in animal shelters across the country and provide humane care." - Alley Cat Allies

Last edited by FurKids; 06-25-2009 at 10:11 AM.
Old 06-25-2009, 10:25 AM
Petfinder Moderator

blackie007 has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by lynielime View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by FurKids View Post
I am aware that a few cat food manufacturers use cranberry, known to be beneficial to urinary tract hygiene in humans but some others use methionine to maintain the urinary system at a slightly acidic pH of 6-6.5 together with a low ash and low magnesium formula.
So, what is what? The kibbles I'm feeding my cat contains, in order:

Salmon Meal, Potatoes, Chicken Fat (Free from Chicken Protein and naturally preserved with Mixed Tocopherols - a source of Vitamin E), Whole Smoked Salmon, Dried Blueberries, Dried Cranberries, Dried Raspberries, Dehydrated Egg, Calcium Propionate, Zinc Sulfate, Zinc Oxide, Ferrous Sulfate, Manganese Sulfate, Copper Sulfate, Calcium Iodate, Cobalt Carbonate, Sodium Selenite, Vitamin E, Riboflavin(Vitamin B2), Niacin (Vitamin B3), D-Pantothenic Acid(Vitamin B5), Thiamine(Vitamin B1), Vitamin A, Pyridoxine(Vitamin B6), Biotin(Vitamin B7), Folic Acid(Vitamin B9), Vitamin B12, Vitamin D3, Taurine, Glucosamine.
Old 06-25-2009, 10:30 AM
Petfinder Moderator

blackie007 has disabled reputation

I have another question. Is it ok to feed stray dogs with cat kibbles? I carry some cat kibbles with me when I go out, but no dog kibbles.

When I come across stray dogs, I would feed them the meat from my plate, if there is any meat. If not, I would buy a chicken or pork pau for them.

But I've always wondered if it's good for the stray dogs to be eating bak kut teh, char siew, or pau?? But I had not dared to feed them cat kibbles either, because I know we must not feed dog kibbles to cats.

Gosh. Anyone knows what we should feed the stray dogs? Err, please don't offer the suggestion of buying dog kibbles. I don't own dogs and I don't come across stray dogs very often.
Old 06-25-2009, 11:20 AM
PetFinder Guru

cookie is on a distinguished road

I feed stray dogs with cat kibbles too as that is what I have in hand. Between cat kibbles and human food remnants that contain substances that are poisonous to dogs as well as bones that can cause harm or stuck in their throats, cat kibbles is way better and beneficial.

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackie007 View Post
I have another question. Is it ok to feed stray dogs with cat kibbles? I carry some cat kibbles with me when I go out, but no dog kibbles.

When I come across stray dogs, I would feed them the meat from my plate, if there is any meat. If not, I would buy a chicken or pork pau for them.

But I've always wondered if it's good for the stray dogs to be eating bak kut teh, char siew, or pau?? But I had not dared to feed them cat kibbles either, because I know we must not feed dog kibbles to cats.

Gosh. Anyone knows what we should feed the stray dogs? Err, please don't offer the suggestion of buying dog kibbles. I don't own dogs and I don't come across stray dogs very often.
Old 06-25-2009, 11:28 AM
Pets Are NOT Disposable

Quote:
Originally Posted by cookie View Post
I feed stray dogs with cat kibbles too as that is what I have in hand. Between cat kibbles and human food remnants that contain substances that are poisonous to dogs as well as bones that can cause harm or stuck in their throats, cat kibbles is way better and beneficial.
Cookie, the reason dogs cannot eat cat food is because it is too high fat for the dog and will cause health problems. The cat system can handle high fat pretty well but for not the dog. And cats cannot eat dog food simply because cats are ultimate carnivores and their body cannot handle or tolerate non-meat products like carbohydrates and plant products well. Dogs can eat some plant products.
Old 06-25-2009, 12:52 PM
PetFinder Guru

Quote:
Cookie, the reason dogs cannot eat cat food is because it is too high fat for the dog and will cause health problems. The cat system can handle high fat pretty well but for not the dog. And cats cannot eat dog food simply because cats are ultimate carnivores and their body cannot handle or tolerate non-meat products like carbohydrates and plant products well. Dogs can eat some plant products.
been feeding stray dogs at my area with bwood cat's kibble...sorry doggie..itu jek lah auntie hate mampu kasik...sorry if i do you harm..
Old 06-25-2009, 02:30 PM
PetFinder Moderator

there are two different people of thought on this subject. there are people that are going to tell you that garlic is poison and is as potentially dangerous as onion for a dog. Then there are people that are going to tell you that garlic is harmless and nutritious as long as it is used as an additive to a healthy diet and not as a staple.
Garlic Powder does not harm any. It may kill the fleas on the dog but it does not kill ticks. It also does not prevent fleas or ticks from jumping on the the dog. So there is my answer.Need count by volume for your small size cat or dog. Too much take going sick to those small size animals.

Quote:
DIMB, recently there was an article in The Star newspaper about Meen's Barkery in KL which is a shop offering baked dog biscuits and treats. I remember Meen (she was an animal nurse) making a statement that she includes garlic in her dog biscuits because garlic is toxic to cats but not to dogs.

Do you think you can check out this discrepancy for the dog lovers, please, DIMB? Because I read somewhere that, kalau tak silap, even a single clove of garlic has pretty potent effect. Some toxic substances do not effect a fatality immediately but is has an accumulative effect, like arsenic.

Old 06-25-2009, 02:48 PM
PetFinder Moderator

Look at the labels & compare!. The protein content in dog food is completely different from cat food.
Occasionally stealling one another's food is one thing, a steady diet of food designed for a different species will cause problems.
stray dogs can have any kibbles cat or dog food, they should feel lucky and have a nice day!

Quote:
Originally Posted by cookie View Post

Old 06-25-2009, 02:55 PM
Pets Are NOT Disposable

Default Kak Hate, cat food is more expensive than dog food ...

Quote:
been feeding stray dogs at my area with bwood cat's kibble...sorry doggie..itu jek lah auntie hate mampu kasik...sorry if i do you harm..
Kak Hate, baiknya hati Kak Hate, tapi unintentionally takut nanti lama-kelamaan doggie tu kena sakit pancreatitis akibat too high fat content lak, especially if it is an unhealthy or older doggie ...

But the very, very good news for you, Kak Hate yg kata that is all you can afford, do you know that cat food is actually more expensive than dog food because the cat being an ultimate carnivore needs more animal protein (meat) which is costlier in its food.

So now, you can actually buy good dog food for cheaper price i.e. beli Blackwood for dogs instead of for cats! It is cheaper but healthier for doggie!

p.s. Kak Hate jangan luper bekalkan air bersih dalam satu dulang yg besar utk doggie ya? Ramai orang kasi makanan (especially yg jenis kering) tapi lupa bekalkan air bersih dalam satu dulang besar bersih hari-hari. Mereka kena minum banyak, tak mcm kocing ... supaya dia tak terpaksa minum air longkang yg kotor dan penuh dengan racun pelbagai kimia. May God bless you richly for your kind heart!

Last edited by FurKids; 06-25-2009 at 03:03 PM. Reason: Air bersih ...
Old 06-25-2009, 04:45 PM
PetFinder Moderator

raw potatoes is poison to cat or dog. Need cook before give to them. another berries need remove seed, if have. But unknow the condition.
Quote:

Old 06-25-2009, 04:51 PM
PetFinder Guru

Sashy is on a distinguished road

I thought apple flesh is ok, just apple seeds are bad due to the cyanide content?
Btw anyone know the status on rambutan, papaya and local fruits? Cuz its rambutan season soon and doggie will want a share