Go

Go Back   PetFinder.my > The Animal Corner > Dogs & Puppies > Training & Behavioral Issues

Training & Behavioral Issues Does your dog have an attitude, or just simply refuses to listen to you? Share it with your peers here and learn more about a cat's behavior and training methods

Old 12-20-2009, 01:41 AM
Animal Lover

eevon01 is on a distinguished road
Default How to deal with barking problem

I have a puppy, named Cookie who is about 4 months old, and barks whenever we are not near her. We put her in a crate, and take her out for exercises from time to time.

However, she only barks excessively during the night, when we are doing our things, and we can't even be a few steps away from her, or she'll kept barking.

She's a brave girl, not afraid of loud noises or hitting with newspaper anymore. Only if we off all the lights and go upstairs, will she settle down and sleep. She wasn't like this before, because once she's tired she will just sleep. But now she'll be awake still when we're around even how tired she is.

Is there any training methods to stop her from barking? To settle her down so she'll sleep? Toys don't work because she has plenty of toy. Treats or rawhides only work for her until she finishes it, then she'll start barking again.
Old 12-20-2009, 12:09 PM
Animal Lover

ChloeChong is on a distinguished road
Default Re: How to deal with barking problem

Hi there..i having this problem before when my poodle is 2 months old . Here's my training method . First , try to get a big and thick towel to cover her whole cage , leave only a small "hole" for her . ( Towel is very good in "absorb" sound ) But remember , put her cage at some windy place or else she will faint cause too hot Then leave her alone in the cage with her toys .Don't let her out or respond to her if she's making noise . Wait until she calms down ( for 5-10 min without any noise )then only u let her out and play with her . U can give her some treat this time or praise her . Train this with her for few more times/days . My poodle learn to be quiet in cage within 2 days .

Remember , train this with her in day time and when u are around only . When she adapt to it , u can go out freely or sleep well at night without any problem

Hope this will help u and sorry if i cant explain well .
Old 12-21-2009, 01:13 AM
Animal Lover

eevon01 is on a distinguished road
Cool Re: How to deal with barking problem

Thank you Chloe!!!

The tips are pretty good in covering the cage and ignoring her. My puppy is a rascal, and pretty persistent with her barking. Last time she won't bark when she didn't see us. But right now, she still barks although we huddle at the kitchen and not let her see us. She can bark for quite long sometimes

As her cage is pretty big, needa find some old sheets to do that
Old 01-15-2010, 08:30 PM
Animal Lover

sportycat is on a distinguished road

Hi.. i have a 2 months old Pomeranian.. I have teach him toilet train..which is good but there one problem.. at night as normal will be lock in the cages... he will bark until we let him out to do his business (3am).. after finish going to toilet we put him back to the cages, he start crying again and again.. because he want to play...... wat should do? please help... i been waking up every day just to let him out to pee (3am)...... is really tiring for me....

Last edited by sportycat; 01-15-2010 at 08:49 PM.
Old 01-17-2010, 11:22 AM
Animal Lover

ChloeChong is on a distinguished road

hi there , how many months is ur puppy ? May i noe what time u usually feed ur pomeranian dinner ? Did u give him any supper before u put him back to cage ? Usually puppy will pee or poo 1-2 hours after his meal ( For younger pups will be faster ,maybe 30min - 1 hr after meal , they cant really hold their pee and poo at younger age.) So to prevent him wake u up at 3am every midnight for pee , u can try to feed him earlier for dinner and wait for him too pee and poo before u cage him . And also dont put any food/water inside his cage.They might drink a lot water when staying in cage and cause him to pee at midnight.
Hope this might help u a bit .
Old 01-17-2010, 12:51 PM
Animal Lover

Hi! he is 2 months old.... we feed him around 5-6pm. then at night we leave him with water only..... then i will try to take out water.. hopefully this help... Thanks for the advise.....
Old 01-19-2010, 11:33 PM
Animal Lover

doggonegoodinKL is on a distinguished road

Hi sportycat

Hope you are having some success with taking the water out of the crate at night before your pup goes to bed. Chloe has given you some great advice. But just to add a few points to what she has already mentioned.

1. Tire your dog out before bed time. Play some fun games with him or take him for a brisk walk. If he is exhausted, he will be less likely to wake up in the middle of the night wanting to play.

2. Make sure you take your dog out to go potty right before bedtime. Sometimes, after puppies have had a poo/pee right after their meal, they may go again a few hours later.

3. Make sure he has his last meal, at least 3 hours before bedtime. This gives him time to go potty right after the meal, and once again right before bedtime.

Hope this helps. Good luck.

Rubini M
Certified Dog Trainer
Animal Behavior College (USA)
Member of the Association of Pet Dog Trainers
email: doggonegoodtraining@live.com
Old 01-20-2010, 02:13 PM
Animal Lover

Hey thanks for the advise it really help....i will do the few step as you mentioned earlier....Thank u so much.. i hope my puppy will sleep well if i play with him until he tired off....
Old 04-29-2010, 10:14 PM
Animal Lover

nottiee is on a distinguished road
Question Re: How to deal with barking problem

Hie....i have a puppy that howling all night long if we lock it in cage.She is a husky and just 3 month old.she keep howling until someone come over to accompany her.And this not only happen at night its also happen during day when we lock it.Sometimes i even beat her with newspaper but it only can stop her for a while.....i feel she hate loneliness........as for your info we has bring her back for about 1 month and she should use to this new environment.........Please help me as I'm not familiar with husky Thank You
Old 05-02-2010, 11:39 AM
Petfinder Moderator

blackie007 has disabled reputation

nottiee,

I have no experience with dogs, and am not able to help you. However, I have one thing to say. Do NOT beat your puppy, no matter what!

It does not bark or howl just to irritate you. As you pointed out, perhaps it fears being alone. Beating it will not make it less afraid. And to my limited knowledge, dogs are pack animals and social creatures. They need companions, and your husky probably wants to be with you.
Old 05-02-2010, 04:01 PM
Animal Lover

doggonegoodinKL is on a distinguished road

Dear Nottiee,

Blackie007 is correct. You should not beat your dog to prevent her from howling/barking. This will not solve the problem. And as you have already experienced, it may be a temporary fix but not a long term one.

The first step to when you're trying to get your dog to stop barking/howling is to find out why she is doing so in the first place. Once you have identified the trigger for her howling then the problem is easier to treat.

So, my first question to you is, does she bark only when she is in the cage alone? Or is she howling even if she's out of the cage? Some dogs will bark in the cage when left alone but not when outside but left alone.

Secondly, does she stop when you come up to the cage? Or only when you open the cage?

What is the longest time she's howled while in the cage?

Is the cage outside the house or inside?

Maybe if you can answer these questions, I can help shed a little more light to your situation.

Rubini M
ABC Certified Dog Trainer
Animal Behavior College (USA)
Member of the Association of Pet Dog Trainers
email: doggonegoodtraining@live.com
Old 05-03-2010, 05:33 PM
Animal Lover

nottiee is on a distinguished road
Unhappy Re: How to deal with barking problem

Thank you for your reply ......
Actually i also really being push to beat her up cause my neighbor has already complaining bout her noise everyday in the middle of midnight(at least she will stop for a while)Below is the answer for your question.
A)So, my first question to you is, does she bark only when she is in the cage alone? Or is she howling even if she's out of the cage? Some dogs will bark in the cage when left alone but not when outside but left alone.
She only bark and howling when she was alone in the cage and outside the cage(i tie her at my front door sometimes)even she was in the house(i mean when everyone at kitchen for dinner and left her alone in the living)

B)Secondly, does she stop when you come up to the cage? Or only when you open the cage?
She will stop when we come to the cage.i mean when she see someone else.

C)What is the longest time she's howled while in the cage?
Normally we put her in cage around 11pm and after bout 1 hour she will start and last at least 3 to 4 hours then only she will stop.But in these 3,4 hours she also got stop a while for drinking or eating also la......But last night she howling until morning.Until my dad wake up and accompany her.

D)Is the cage outside the house or inside?
The cage i put it outside the house becos it quite big....i customize it myself.

And i did ask some pet shop regarding this matter and they told me not to play with her so much.As for your info normally we take her out from the cage in the morning and feed her after that we tie her inside the house and my dad or my sister will play with her all day till nite.

Thank You.

Last edited by nottiee; 05-04-2010 at 11:31 AM.
Old 05-05-2010, 12:40 AM
Animal Lover

ginafindadog is on a distinguished road

Sounds like you are doing just about all you can. My neighbor has a barky beagle and she found this thing called Ultrasonic Bark Control and it makes her house a bark free area WITHOUT a collar. Its the coolest thing. It has really seemed to help her.
Old 05-06-2010, 10:46 AM
Animal Lover

Hey Gina

Thanks for info. Your neibour bought thing locally or online? i really would like to get one for my pome.