Go

Go Back   PetFinder.my > Pet Welfare, Rescue & Adoption > Rescuers & Fosterers

Rescuers & Fosterers For rescuers and fosterers, the true heroes of PetFinder.my

Old 06-28-2010, 01:46 AM
PetFinder Guru

MidnightMaiden is on a distinguished road
Default How do u guys get over the sad feeling after giving foster pets up for adoption?

Hi fellow fosterers :)

I'm sure u've all been through it...You rescue a pet, u take care of it until its tame, healthy & ready to go to a new home. U advertise to seek adopters, then u screen the adopters very carefully, and finally u choose one that is most suitable for your precious foster pet...

The day comes for u to give it up to its new owner. You're positive it will have a good life. U know its the right thing to do as it also frees up the space in your home for u to rescue other poor homeless animals...

But...inevitably u will feel that bit of sadness to say goodbye to the one that u've put up so much time & effort for

What do u guys do to help u let go? Maybe u can share your tips to make it a little easier for all of us

(Today I let go of one of my foster cats, and was of course feeling that tiny tinge of sadness... One the way home, I had the carrier in my hand and suddenly.. 2 kittens approached me for food...so.....into the carrier they go! They have come home with me now. Will whip them into shape and put them up for adoption soon )
Old 06-28-2010, 07:45 AM
Human :-)

prinz38i is on a distinguished road
Send a message via Yahoo to prinz38i
Default Re: How do u guys get over the sad feeling after giving foster pets up for adoption?

as a fosterer, I make my self very clear, that I am just a fosterer. Thats mean, what ever it is, they will be gone to their new owner.

so for me, I have to accept my role, and keep in mind that there are lots more cats out there need help.

and actually I did not put hope to the new owner, i put my believe that they will give them good care and love... so that makes me feel easy to let then go and not feeling too sad
Old 06-28-2010, 09:03 AM
Animal Lover

June is on a distinguished road
Default How do u guys get over the sad feeling after giving foster pets up for adoption?

I've been through that many times but couldn't help myself from crying everytime I handed it over the cats to new parents Tak blh tahan. Once, I sent the cats to Kajang because the new owner does not know the way to my area. Lepas antar,akak nangis all the way smp rmh.Sambil driving sambil nangis. Mcm dlm movie pula tp I can't help it. I feel so sad. I've brought the kitties up,feeding them,caring for them. How can I'm not sad??

Last edited by June; 06-28-2010 at 02:02 PM.
Old 06-28-2010, 01:41 PM
PetFinder Guru

MidnightMaiden is on a distinguished road
Default Re: How do u guys get over the sad feeling after giving foster pets up for adoption?

Huhu..tu la Kak June..sib baik saya tak nangis depan adopter, hilang brutal

Thanks Prinz, I guess it's just human nature, just need to keep reminding ourselves that they're going to better homes, kan?

Yesterday I found an adopter for my ALL BLACK DSH foster cat. Paham2 je la camna susah nak cari adopter for black cats ni.. So I'm glad that I found her a permanent home. Tapi kan..pas give away tu, saya gi tengok movie...tapi tak leh concentrate, fikiran dah ke lain plak...mula la fikir bukan2...(sampai terfikir..naper plak org ni nak black cat, diorg nak buat black magic ke ) Apahal mmg tau pun diorg nak black cat to replace their old black cat cos she looks exactly the same
Old 06-28-2010, 03:30 PM
Animal Lover

EndlessLuv is on a distinguished road

Salam,
Sy baru lg kat sini,just nak share sikit pengalaman 3 hari lepas..anak kucing yg bf sy ambil di dalam longkang dah pun membesar dan sangat nakal..jumaat lepas jiran sy datang dengan niat nak adopt kucing.selepas interview jiran sy tu sy rase dia boleh jage kucing tu elok2 dan sy pun serah kan la kucing tu pada dia.tapi dalam hati punye la risau sebab tak tengok lagi umah dia.risau mane tau dia cakap sekadar nak sedap kan hati..malam tu sy g check umah dia,alhamdulillah kucing sy ok kat sane..tempat pun bersih..semua keperluan kucing ade..nasib baik rumah dia kat belakang umah sy je..lagi beberape ari nak check lagi la..hehe
sekarang ni sy dan adik sy tak habis2 sebut pasal anak kucing tu,rindu sgt kat anak kucing tu tapi tak pe la,dia ok kat umah family baru dia..
Old 07-03-2010, 07:30 PM
PetFinder Guru

acsyen is on a distinguished road

There are few things which makes a successful fosterer. I am just going to highlight a few here:-

1) to foster and love the animal but DON'T get attached to them, though loving without getting attached is very tricky.
2) think of it this way - once they have gone to a good new home, be happy for they can get individual attention instead of having to share love, attention and time with the many others that are still in your hands.

You have made a difference in that animal's life by sending it to a good home so why be sad. Just continue the good job and make a difference in another animal's life.