Go

Go Back   PetFinder.my > The Animal Corner > Cats & Kittens > Health, Disease & Diet

Health, Disease & Diet Find out the best tips and practices on managing your cat's diet, health care, and issues with diseases from our community of animal lovers

Old 01-18-2009, 06:32 AM
Call me Yuana or Yan ;)

euanna is on a distinguished road
Exclamation Cat soft poop, fart and smells strong

My cat just had it vaccination last Thursday and looks healthy and active as usual. But I noticed it started to hv really bad smelling poo today and made loud farting noise(when he poop). On top of that, his poop is kinda soft (not well formed) and I can smell his poo 10 yards away from him

Is this normal after vaccine? Or does this have anything to do with his food?

I'm currently feeding him EVO and RC 34 (BABYCAT) and i changed his diet last week. (He was eating friskies..but it gave him diarrhea..so he ate vet food for a week before I gave him RC and EVO).

I don't see any blood on his poo (which is a good thing) and the color of the poo is dark (black.. greenish). Should I be worried? Or maybe it's normal?? I can't call vet coz it's Sunday

Last edited by euanna; 01-18-2009 at 06:48 AM.
Old 01-18-2009, 08:53 AM
PetFinder Guru

adamyala is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Cat soft poop, fart and smells strong

Runny Poo (diarrhea) in cats normally caused by their diet. After their diet is changed, it will go on for a few days, until their poo is solid again. Try not to change their food too often and go easy on the canned food (wet food) when this occurs. Over indulgence could also caused diarrhea. Leaving kibbles for your cats 24 hours a day in their feeding bowl could cause the kitty to over-eat and later leads to obesity and indigestion problem.

How old is your cats ? BABYCAT RC 34 is for very young kittens during their weaning stage. Older than 4 months, should be fed with KITTEN kibbles.

Vaccination has never caused diarrhea where my cats are concerned so far.

A point to ponder : always have your regular vet's handphone number in hand , so that he/she is reachable at any time, 24 hours a day. You never know when you need them most. Good luck
Old 01-18-2009, 09:42 AM
PetFinder Guru

Location: Seri Kembangan, Selangor (Yeah, we got free water!)
sillylupie is on a distinguished road

I agree with adamyala, it is probably due to change in cat's diet.

I remember my cat, Lulu was having similar problem when she was on Smart Heart, Friskies or Whiskas. When she passed gas, we could hear her from upstairs! It was as loud as a human's!

I wouldn't worry if the cat is still eating, drinking and playing well! From your note, you mentioned a week of vet food, I assumed he was okay (poop and gas wise, hehehe) and it was only until the Friskies, then EVO & RC that the ordeal begins? If so, do check with the vet the brand of kitty food they have been feeding during his one week stay and give the same to him.

Also, do note that it is always very important to introduce new cat food in stages, otherwise there may be bout of diarrhea and gas problem.

sillylupie-shop
http://sillylupie-shop.blogspot.com
Old 01-18-2009, 01:19 PM
PetFinder Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by sillylupie View Post
I agree with adamyala, it is probably due to change in cat's diet.

I remember my cat, Lulu was having similar problem when she was on Smart Heart, Friskies or Whiskas. When she passed gas, we could hear her from upstairs! It was as loud as a human's!

I wouldn't worry if the cat is still eating, drinking and playing well! From your note, you mentioned a week of vet food, I assumed he was okay (poop and gas wise, hehehe) and it was only until the Friskies, then EVO & RC that the ordeal begins? If so, do check with the vet the brand of kitty food they have been feeding during his one week stay and give the same to him.

Also, do note that it is always very important to introduce new cat food in stages, otherwise there may be bout of diarrhea and gas problem.
seriously arrr Bina ??? Whooaaa sooo loud one arrrr hahahaha
Old 01-18-2009, 02:09 PM
Call me Yuana or Yan ;)

Lightbulb Re: Cat soft poop, fart and smells strong

My cat is 3mths.. kinda in between BABYCAT and the 4-12 mths cat food..

I haven't given him canned food since he recovered from diarrhea. It's prolly his food huh.. I'll monitor his poo and see how..

Hmm........ isn't it too late to show signs of his stomach not agreeing with new food?? (I started giving him RC on Tuesday last week..no problem at all.. EVO on last Wednesday).. and he started runny poo yesterday.

He looks active and as naughty as ever I'm guessing he's healthy. Will monitor him more, thanks for the reply.
Old 01-19-2009, 11:07 AM
PetFinder Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamyala View Post
seriously arrr Bina ??? Whooaaa sooo loud one arrrr hahahaha
YES!! Amazing to know the amount of wind despite her size!

sillylupie-shop
Old 01-19-2009, 11:11 AM
PetFinder Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by euanna View Post
My cat is 3mths.. kinda in between BABYCAT and the 4-12 mths cat food..

I haven't given him canned food since he recovered from diarrhea. It's prolly his food huh.. I'll monitor his poo and see how..

Hmm........ isn't it too late to show signs of his stomach not agreeing with new food?? (I started giving him RC on Tuesday last week..no problem at all.. EVO on last Wednesday).. and he started runny poo yesterday.

He looks active and as naughty as ever I'm guessing he's healthy. Will monitor him more, thanks for the reply.
Keep us posted! :) Hope your sweet will be better with the wind problem soon!

sillylupie-shop
Old 01-19-2009, 04:58 PM
Call me Yuana or Yan ;)

Wink Re: Cat soft poop, fart and smells strong

Went to vet again today.. vet gave a jab and some meds for diarrhea.. Count as diarrhea I guess........

Sherbet as happy and active as ever.. but i'm holding back EVO for now and just feed him RC kibbles. Maybe his stomach doesn't agree with EVO? Not sure though..but hv to try something,..

vet also gave antibiotics for 15days.. which means it's a 15 day battle!
Sherbet struggles more during med-eating session than bath session

Last time he had diarrhea.. making him eat the antibiotics was hard.. he spit em out most of the time.. .. Good news is his poo doesn't smell foul today (after visit to vet).. and I hope none of the paw-sticking-poo incident happen again
Old 01-19-2009, 08:57 PM
PetFinder Guru

Quote:
Went to vet again today.. vet gave a jab and some meds for diarrhea.. Count as diarrhea I guess........

Sherbet as happy and active as ever.. but i'm holding back EVO for now and just feed him RC kibbles. Maybe his stomach doesn't agree with EVO? Not sure though..but hv to try something,..

vet also gave antibiotics for 15days.. which means it's a 15 day battle!
Sherbet struggles more during med-eating session than bath session

Last time he had diarrhea.. making him eat the antibiotics was hard.. he spit em out most of the time.. .. Good news is his poo doesn't smell foul today (after visit to vet).. and I hope none of the paw-sticking-poo incident happen again
Be patient with lil' Sherbet, euanna. He is just being his notty notty self ....just like any other kittens his age. I have been thru the same ordeal with my adam too. He had 'runny poo' for three consecutive months. I had to wash his bum bum every single morning , afternoon and night during that time. He was only four months old then. Now adam is eleven months old. Healthy and active. Those difficult moments shared with my adam has brought us closer. It was part of our bonding process. Now he jumps and sits on my lap everytime I am watching TV. He is also very generous with his purrs. Adam is such a delight to have as a pet. Sherbet will also love you more...for caring and looking after him during his difficult times. It is the time when he needs you most
Old 01-20-2009, 04:11 PM
Call me Yuana or Yan ;)

Wink Re: Cat soft poop, fart and smells strong

Hehe.. he takes over my bedroom now.. every morning he will jump on the bed.. walk around.. (over me.. around me..) jump down.. scratch a nearby box.. play on the floor with scraps from the box he tears... Play with my hair when i'm sleeping (woke me up sometimes )

He's a bundle of joy.. notty ..but fun . Now to master the art of making him eat pill.. tough battle but it must be done!

I think the hard part for me now is to figure out which food is suitable for him. I've heard some cats are more sensitive than other. Sherbet not a picky eater.. but I guess it's hit and miss when it comes to which food agree with his stomach.
Old 01-23-2009, 01:42 AM
Call me Yuana or Yan ;)

Exclamation Re: Cat soft poop, fart and smells strong

I'm having trouble feeding antibiotics pill to sherbet.. He struggles.. at some point i managed to put the pill into his mouth..he won't swallow (even when we closed his mouth for a few minutes).. he'll spit it out..

I tried mixing the antibiotic with kibbles / wet food.. he doesn't eat it either.. I'm stumped.. one time we tried to force him to eat meds.. he clawed and bit my bf (bf bled abit )

I'm reading up about piller.. where do I get them?? Anybody knows??
Old 01-24-2009, 08:18 PM
PetFinder Guru

Quote:
I'm having trouble feeding antibiotics pill to sherbet.. He struggles.. at some point i managed to put the pill into his mouth..he won't swallow (even when we closed his mouth for a few minutes).. he'll spit it out..

I tried mixing the antibiotic with kibbles / wet food.. he doesn't eat it either.. I'm stumped.. one time we tried to force him to eat meds.. he clawed and bit my bf (bf bled abit )

I'm reading up about piller.. where do I get them?? Anybody knows??
euanna,
you could buy a 'piller' from any petshop. I have one, but have never succeeded using it to administer meds to my cats so far Just like your lil' sherbet, they are so much smarter than me..

I read one tip given by our forumer friend here about giving pills meds to her mco. She wraps the pill in a small piece of gardenia bread, soak it in water and quickly put inside the cat's mouth. Then close his mouth for a few seconds. The bread is so slippery and he cant help but swallow it. Maybe you could give it a try...good luck dear..
Old 01-24-2009, 09:55 PM
Call me Yuana or Yan ;)

Quote:
Originally Posted by adamyala View Post
euanna,
you could buy a 'piller' from any petshop. I have one, but have never succeeded using it to administer meds to my cats so far Just like your lil' sherbet, they are so much smarter than me..

I read one tip given by our forumer friend here about giving pills meds to her mco. She wraps the pill in a small piece of gardenia bread, soak it in water and quickly put inside the cat's mouth. Then close his mouth for a few seconds. The bread is so slippery and he cant help but swallow it. Maybe you could give it a try...good luck dear..
Not going to happen .. I tried wrapping the pill in salmon sashimi.. no dice.. he spit it out and then pick them apart.. .. Guess last resort is to grind it to powder..mix with water n syringe it into his mouth
Old 01-24-2009, 10:02 PM
PetFinder Guru

Quote:
Not going to happen .. I tried wrapping the pill in salmon sashimi.. no dice.. he spit it out and then pick them apart.. .. Guess last resort is to grind it to powder..mix with water n syringe it into his mouth
Good idea too...keep trying ya....pls dont give up
Sherbet sure is a smart lil kitty