Go

Go Back   PetFinder.my > The Animal Corner > Cats & Kittens > Training & Behavioral Issues

Training & Behavioral Issues Does your cat have an attitude, or just simply refuses to listen to you? Share it with your peers here and learn more about a cat's behavior and training methods

Old 04-18-2011, 05:32 PM
Animal Lover

Lipsy is on a distinguished road
Default Problematic parent (female cat)

Hi all animal lovers out there!
I have this one problem with my female cat named Jenny. She used to deliver babies for 3 times including the latest one which she delivered 4 awesome kitties 2 months ago. The previous babies all died because she didn't want to to nurse them. However for this birth, my mum said she nurses the babies and now she's starting to ignore them and even my mum force her to give milk to her babies, she's kicking them. I'm afraid that those babies will have the same fate like previous one. What's wrong with Jenny? What would I do to help those fluffy kitties?? Please help.....
Old 04-18-2011, 06:03 PM
PetFinder Guru

Felix The Cat is on a distinguished road
Default Re: Problematic parent (female cat)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lipsy View Post
I have this one problem with my female cat named Jenny. She used to deliver babies for 3 times including the latest one which she delivered 4 awesome kitties 2 months ago. The previous babies all died because she didn't want to to nurse them. However for this birth, my mum said she nurses the babies and now she's starting to ignore them and even my mum force her to give milk to her babies, she's kicking them. I'm afraid that those babies will have the same fate like previous one. What's wrong with Jenny? What would I do to help those fluffy kitties?? Please help.....
Hi there Lipsy,

First of all, did anyone of you touch the kittens?
If so, your scent is on the kittens and that is why the mummy cat is rejecting her babies.
Some mummy cats are very sensitive and do not like their kittens to be touched even by their owners. Once they smell a different scent on their young ones they will start rejecting the babies.

Good Luck... and hope all is well.

Felix The Cat - Dee wonderful wonderful cat!
http://felixthecats.weebly.com
http://livinginmyworld-phyllis.blogspot.com/
Old 04-18-2011, 06:09 PM
Animal Lover

Yea..my mum touches it for bathing n stuffs like that. but I have a lot of cats previously and this one really makes me wonder and 'pening' also. BTW, thanks for the advice. Otherwise I need to do another option which buy the formulated milk powder for kittens...*sigh
Old 04-18-2011, 08:19 PM
Petfinder Moderator

Maneki Neko is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Hi, Lipsy --

I find myself wondering, why would you breed a cat who is not caring well for her kittens? There are SO MANY homeless cats -- many of them pedigreed, long-haired, gorgeous, and many others just suffering and dying on the streets and in shelters. Maybe it's time to consider spaying your queen and allowing her to enjoy a peaceful and healthy life as your beloved pet. :-)
Old 04-19-2011, 01:51 PM
Animal Lover

I've been thinking so to spay her. but for now she has the babies to take care off. I will see how she reacts with her babies these few days. If she keeps rejecting the kitties I would consider to spay her soon. Poor babies. Hopefully they'll grow up healthily soon!
Old 04-19-2011, 05:23 PM
PetFinder Guru

Quote:
Yea..my mum touches it for bathing n stuffs like that. but I have a lot of cats previously and this one really makes me wonder and 'pening' also. BTW, thanks for the advice. Otherwise I need to do another option which buy the formulated milk powder for kittens...*sigh
No wonder.
Tell your mum stop handling the kittens.
If she wants to hold them, ask her to hold the kittens with a small cloth or towel. By doing this, your mum's scent will not be on the kitten.
Some cats are very protective and fussy about their young. That is why cats like to give birth in hiding as they don't want humans or other animals to disturb their babies whilst some cats are ok if you handle them and their babies. Cats are like humans and they have feelings too .

As Maneki Neko said, spay your cat so that you will not have dead kittens anymore. If you want to get a special price on spaying, do contact me as I can help you to get a good price on neutering at SPCA Klinik Kembiri.

Old 04-20-2011, 01:35 PM
Animal Lover

Thanks Felix. Hope it might help to handle the babies. BTW, where is the clinic?
Old 04-20-2011, 02:22 PM
PetFinder Guru

Quote:
Thanks Felix. Hope it might help to handle the babies. BTW, where is the clinic?
It will definitely.
Btw.... the kittens are to young to be bathe at the moment.
Also mummy cat will always groom them so no need to bathe the kittens.

SPCA Klinik Kembiri is located at Setapak near to Danau Kota.

Old 04-21-2011, 02:05 PM
Animal Lover

Actually I'm currently at Bangi now and the kittens are with my mum back at hometown, Perak. Juz now I called her to ask whether Jenny nurses her baby or not. And my mum said she's behaving ok with the kitties and nurse them. thank God! Another prob is they are having conjunctivitis I guess and my mum keeps on wiping their eyes with warm water and clean cloth. She also puts the ointment (getting it from klinik vet. kerajaan) but it's almost 1 week and they are not healing...maybe the antibiotic does not give effect to their eyes prob. I cant wait to go back to Perak next week to look upon all my kitties...
Old 04-21-2011, 02:30 PM
PetFinder Guru

Quote:
Actually I'm currently at Bangi now and the kittens are with my mum back at hometown, Perak. Juz now I called her to ask whether Jenny nurses her baby or not. And my mum said she's behaving ok with the kitties and nurse them. thank God! Another prob is they are having conjunctivitis I guess and my mum keeps on wiping their eyes with warm water and clean cloth. She also puts the ointment (getting it from klinik vet. kerajaan) but it's almost 1 week and they are not healing...maybe the antibiotic does not give effect to their eyes prob. I cant wait to go back to Perak next week to look upon all my kitties...
Oic....
Glad to hear that Jenny is nursing her babies.
Lipsy, I think your kittens is having flu and that is why they are having conjunctivities. Usually when a cat has flu, the eyes will automatically be affected because its positioned near to the nose.
Lately the flu bug is around so you need to be careful with the kittens as they could die from flu.
Please get your mum to bring them to the clinic for a check up.
Usually Teramycin will help but you still need to cure the flu if the kittens are having it.
Signs will be sneezing and watery nose.

Old 04-22-2011, 01:15 PM
Animal Lover

Thanks a gain Felix. BTW, what about gentamycin? I know it's an antibiotic but does it act like Teramycin? or a bit strong?
Old 04-23-2011, 11:21 PM
PetFinder Guru

Location: Seri Kembangan, Selangor (Yeah, we got free water!)
sillylupie is on a distinguished road

Sending healing light to Jenny & her babies. We hope the flu bug is under control and they are all right.

Do consider getting her spayed as soon as possible :)

sillylupie-shop
http://sillylupie-shop.blogspot.com