Go

Go Back   PetFinder.my > The Animal Corner > Cats & Kittens > Health, Disease & Diet

Health, Disease & Diet Find out the best tips and practices on managing your cat's diet, health care, and issues with diseases from our community of animal lovers

Old 03-26-2009, 09:06 PM
Meow

a.lya is on a distinguished road
Default Brody hasn't eaten the whole day.

Brody is my younger brother's DSH. She's 6-7months I think.

She was eating well yesterday. :/

Today, I offered her treats but she only smelled it and walked away.

I'm probably gonna try and feed her ayam rebus or wet food later.

I need some opinions before bringing her to the vet - if she still refuses to eat.
Old 03-26-2009, 09:20 PM
Animal Lover

June is on a distinguished road

Alya,Brody sound like my Mokmok. she doesn' want to eat her kibbles as usual.after sometime she eat again but very less.but when I sent her to the vet,vet give her clean bill of health. nothing wrong with her.she still eat less.I name her Mokmok because she used to be fattest among all the cats at home.Now she loss weight and body very lean.I tried give her boiled chicken and fish,wet food but still eating less.aiyah!! dunno what to do anymore.my vet said,as long as she's still eating even though less,active and healthy, I should'nt worry abt her.

Quote:
Originally Posted by a.lya View Post
Brody is my younger brother's DSH. She's 6-7months I think.

She was eating well yesterday. :/

Today, I offered her treats but she only smelled it and walked away.

I'm probably gonna try and feed her ayam rebus or wet food later.

I need some opinions before bringing her to the vet - if she still refuses to eat.
Old 03-26-2009, 09:53 PM
Meow

Default Re: Brody hasn't eaten the whole day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by June View Post
Alya,Brody sound like my Mokmok. she doesn' want to eat her kibbles as usual.after sometime she eat again but very less.but when I sent her to the vet,vet give her clean bill of health. nothing wrong with her.she still eat less.I name her Mokmok because she used to be fattest among all the cats at home.Now she loss weight and body very lean.I tried give her boiled chicken and fish,wet food but still eating less.aiyah!! dunno what to do anymore.my vet said,as long as she's still eating even though less,active and healthy, I should'nt worry abt her.
Mokmok sounds like she's very concerned with her weight. Maybe you should rename her to ThinThin.

Brody is still active and she's quite lean. But we're still worried. :(

Like Bonnie, my elder brother's cat, she didn't eat for like two days, she had a flu at that time. Then, imagine our relief when she finally ate.
Old 03-26-2009, 11:27 PM
Petfinder Moderator

blackie007 has disabled reputation

how long has brody not been eating? if it's just one day or two that she eats less than normal (but is still eating a few kibbles), it should be alright.

sometimes it's the weather. i find that blackie has less appetite if the weather is extra hot. he just becomes lethargic and laze around. but when it's cooler, he becomes active again, and starts to eat more.
Old 03-27-2009, 12:43 AM
Meow

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackie007 View Post
how long has brody not been eating? if it's just one day or two that she eats less than normal (but is still eating a few kibbles), it should be alright.

sometimes it's the weather. i find that blackie has less appetite if the weather is extra hot. he just becomes lethargic and laze around. but when it's cooler, he becomes active again, and starts to eat more.
She didn't eat at all today when I posted this thread.

We just gave her some wet food and she ate half the can - the can was pretty big, so we're relieved. Though she didn't eat the ayam rebus at all.

Lucky us we always keep a can of wetfood for their birthday celebrations. Otherwise, confirm the next day we cannot duduk diam and worry over her. This is her 2nd time she lost her appetite during the rainy weather.
Old 03-27-2009, 02:35 AM
Call me Yuana or Yan ;)

euanna is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackie007 View Post

Oh.. I guess my kittens are the same...... seems lately they eat less.. I had to sprinkle some dried anchovies on their kibble to make them eat more ... But they sure drink a lot... maybe the weather is too hot.. (as Blackie007 pointed out) ..

Sherbet also seemed lethargic lately..likes to laze around on cement usually near the front door..or near the bathroom.. prolly coz it's cooler.. But when he plays with Salem, it's normal (jumping around like gazelle, tussling.. )..

I think I'll stock up some wet food tomorrow.
Old 03-27-2009, 09:37 AM
Pets Are NOT Disposable

FurKids is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by a.lya View Post
She didn't eat at all today when I posted this thread.

We just gave her some wet food and she ate half the can - the can was pretty big, so we're relieved. Though she didn't eat the ayam rebus at all.

Lucky us we always keep a can of wetfood for their birthday celebrations. Otherwise, confirm the next day we cannot duduk diam and worry over her. This is her 2nd time she lost her appetite during the rainy weather.
a.lya, forget the rainy weather, hot weather stuff but do a thorough check on her mouth and gums to rule out soreness/redness, also she could be coming on with a flu, do a temperature check also.

One forumer's cat didn't eat and I told her to send to vet to check for Stomatitis Gingivities. She did, and the first vet that checked her mouth didn't find anything. I told her to send the cat to a good competent senior vet (not any vet) which had diagnosed it previously in one stray that I had been feeding. She reported that this vet was very gently and could get the cat to agree to open its mouth for him and he found very slight soreness in the gums.

Normally if a cat does not eat as normal, I get concerned. Always, I am able to find the cause when I examine him carefully, but it has nothing to do with weather or moods.

Ada juga yang hilang selera sebab dia cedera atau someone terrorised it. Patiently make a check and you will find the source. Most important it is to rule out something serious or catch it early so that treatment is simpler and less costly.
"We organized in the past to make Trap-Neuter-Return possible. Today, we organize to make Trap-Neuter-Return the norm and to end the unnecessary killing of cats in animal shelters across the country and provide humane care." - Alley Cat Allies
Old 03-27-2009, 11:59 AM
Animal Lover

FK,my MokMok takde suma tu.tp aku notice bila dia membesar,dia kurang mkn. bukan tak mkn tp less. badan dia skrg ni lean.aku risau juga. dah bawa gi Vet.gigi,gum suma dah chk tp takde apa

Break: check,gum: check: mulut: check.abis2 dah chk.2 x aku hantar vet. dah dekat setahun dia mcm ni. kenapa ye??

Quote:
Originally Posted by FurKids View Post
a.lya, forget the rainy weather, hot weather stuff but do a thorough check on her mouth and gums to rule out soreness/redness, also she could be coming on with a flu, do a temperature check also.

One forumer's cat didn't eat and I told her to send to vet to check for Stomatitis Gingivities. She did, and the first vet that checked her mouth didn't find anything. I told her to send the cat to a good competent senior vet (not any vet) which had diagnosed it previously in one stray that I had been feeding. She reported that this vet was very gently and could get the cat to agree to open its mouth for him and he found very slight soreness in the gums.

Normally if a cat does not eat as normal, I get concerned. Always, I am able to find the cause when I examine him carefully, but it has nothing to do with weather or moods.

Ada juga yang hilang selera sebab dia cedera atau someone terrorised it. Patiently make a check and you will find the source. Most important it is to rule out something serious or catch it early so that treatment is simpler and less costly.
Old 03-27-2009, 12:18 PM
Pets Are NOT Disposable

June, a.lya punya kucing refused the dry kibbles but ate half a can of food ... so that means the cat was very hungry and could eat, tapi would not eat the dry kibbles ... so we focus on the difference between dry kibbles and wet food ... satu keras, satu lembut ... (kalau lah jenis dry kibbles yang good quality pun kawan tolak juga) ... I would straight look at the inside of its mouth, gums and whether the gigi got plaque to rule out stomatitis gingivitis ... ataupun ada kecederaan kat mulut sebab makan benda tajam (tulang yg splintered, maybe) yg buat kawan tu tak boleh kunyah makanan keras dia.

However, macam in Mokmok's case which has been going on for some time (growing up stage lak tu where if normal, he should be eating very healthily), you need to check things one by one to eliminate as many possible causes as you can think of:

1) If you have dewormed him with Drontal, cancel out the worms ...

2) Jenis kibbles apa? Some cats are choosy, my cats won't touch certain kibbles. Ada tak masa yang pernah dia kuat makan ... what kibbles were they? Lemau ke tak? Kalau June taroh daging dada ayam kukus or ikan kukus (some cats are chicken punyer fevret, some go crazy over fish and turn up their noses at chicken), dia bedal tak? Kalau ya, then the appetite is very good, cuma dia tak suker the kibbles ...

3) I won't look at fight injuries in this case sebab June kata dah lama perkara ni berlaku and fight injuries clear up after a week or so ... or demam ...

4) If you reach No. 4, you are arriving at a more difficult stage ... any penyakit or tumbuhan dalam badan ... ini yg susah ... because healthy growing kittens eat like you cetak $$$!
"We organized in the past to make Trap-Neuter-Return possible. Today, we organize to make Trap-Neuter-Return the norm and to end the unnecessary killing of cats in animal shelters across the country and provide humane care." - Alley Cat Allies
Old 03-27-2009, 12:27 PM
Animal Lover

FK,aku ksh mkn dia Blackwood all these while sama mcm kucing2 lain kat rmh from the begining lg.cuma dlm march atau april last year aku notice she's eating less. deworm dah buat october tahun lalu.aku tak buat 3 bulan sekali because dia bukan outdoor cat kan.

Ayam rebus dia tak berapa suka.mkn sikit je.ikan rebus dia mkn tp bukan suma ikan. kibbles Blackwood dia mkn tp sikit je.baru baru ni aku bg dia Purina friskies,dia mkn setengah pinggan. fussy eater probably??

demam tak mgkn lah sebab masa bawa gi vet chk dia tak demam.pastu dah vaksin punya yearly booster.

dah seminggu ni aku keep on eye on her.dia aktif mcm biasa,tido mcm biasa.takde nampak ada apa2 injury bila aku picit2 dan chk2 badan dia.

Quote:
June, a.lya punya kucing refused the dry kibbles but ate half a can of food ... so that means the cat was very hungry and could eat, tapi would not eat the dry kibbles ... so we focus on the difference between dry kibbles and wet food ... satu keras, satu lembut ... (kalau lah jenis dry kibbles yang good quality pun kawan tolak juga) ... I would straight look at the inside of its mouth, gums and whether the gigi got plaque to rule out stomatitis gingivitis ... ataupun ada kecederaan kat mulut sebab makan benda tajam (tulang yg splintered, maybe) yg buat kawan tu tak boleh kunyah makanan keras dia.

However, macam in Mokmok's case which has been going on for some time (growing up stage lak tu where if normal, he should be eating very healthily), you need to check things one by one to eliminate as many possible causes as you can think of:

1) If you have dewormed him with Drontal, cancel out the worms ...

2) Jenis kibbles apa? Some cats are choosy, my cats won't touch certain kibbles. Ada tak masa yang pernah dia kuat makan ... what kibbles were they? Lemau ke tak? Kalau June taroh daging dada ayam kukus or ikan kukus (some cats are chicken punyer fevret, some go crazy over fish and turn up their noses at chicken), dia bedal tak? Kalau ya, then the appetite is very good, cuma dia tak suker the kibbles ...

3) I won't look at fight injuries in this case sebab June kata dah lama perkara ni berlaku and fight injuries clear up after a week or so ... or demam ...

4) If you reach No. 4, you are arriving at a more difficult stage ... any penyakit or tumbuhan dalam badan ... ini yg susah ... because healthy growing kittens eat like you cetak $$$!
Old 03-27-2009, 01:33 PM
Pets Are NOT Disposable

Sorry, June, I went too fast and didn't take in all the details in your earlier post on Mokmok on ayam and ikan rebus.

But your comment that Mokmok makan setengah pinggan of friskies indicate that dia boleh makan janji ada criterianya (probably fussy eater), so even though friskies is lower quality, there is some appetiser yg lower grade foods manufacturer coat their kibbles with (some meat juice) to make the cat want to eat all the high grain and filler food. That is why if you cuci the kibbles with water (rinse of the coating) and then give them to the cats, they turn up their noses! Which smart carnivore wants to eat filler?

Yes, indoor tak payah deworm 3 bulan sekali, just taxing the liver ....

You mention dia suka makan ikan but not all types of fish. I have a cat like that too. Tapi nasib baik, dia makan dia punya RC kibbles healthily. Ikan apa yang Mokmok suka makan? Tenggiri? Tongkol? Sardine?

Have you tried giving her RC instead? Quality is pretty much the same except that one is mahal gila, but most cats eat it well (make sure the kibbles pack are fresh dan tak ada bocor angin keluar piuuuuunnnggggggg!)

June, you mention the vet gave her a clean bill of health ... it depends on how the vet arrived at that .... did he do a myriad comprehensive blood test and did he do any ultrasound? Or is it just normal palpitations and physical observations and said ok? Some vets simply say that and we go away with a false sense of security.

Hari tu my Alpha scratched and licked sampai berdarah and bulu hilang bertompok ... the first vet kata my girl is simply stressed (most likely by another cat!). Dia suruh saya make sure my lady is not stressed and she will recover.

Kepala otak dia ... I took my pretty lady to another vet who found satu ekor miserable mite dalam telinga dia under the microscope (that is why she scratched bawah telinga dia sampai kulit terkopek dan berdarah) and diagnosed the missing fur patches as some form of allergy developed. My pretty lady suka melawat the back lane of a couple of neighbours that kept several dogs and the maid suka kasi makan to my beautiful Alpha, so kawan selalu pergi kat sana like her second home during daytime when I am not at home! Kena Frontline Combo kan dia nie .....

Anyway, with 3 weekly treatments of Ivermectin, she is now on the good road to recovery!

June check her teeth, got plaque tak? Normally kalau makan dry kibbles you won't have this so early compared to wet food eaters.

Last edited by FurKids; 03-27-2009 at 01:38 PM.
Old 03-27-2009, 01:42 PM
Animal Lover

Yes,dia mkn PURINA brand setengah pinggan.I took her to my bed room dgn PURINA so that other cats tak kacau dia dan I boleh observe byk mana dia mkn. dia mkn setengah pinggan. ayam rebus dia tak berapa suka.mkn but very little.Ikan sardin yg mentah I rebus dia suka. ikan kembung pun dia suka.tongkol dan tenggiri dia jilat2 sikit then dah sudah.

RC dia lagi sukaaaaaaaaaaaaaa!! dulu I bought RC for my cats in KK,dia korek smp koyak packing but too expensive should I buy just for her?? sebab kucing kucing lain bg apa pun durang telan.

I dah buat blood test.dia ok. tp itu ceritanya last November. Ultrasound takde buatlah. do u think I should do ultrasound juga dan blood test sekali lagi??

Quote:
Sorry, June, I went too fast and didn't take in all the details in your earlier post on Mokmok on ayam and ikan rebus.

But your comment that Mokmok makan setengah pinggan of friskies indicate that dia boleh makan janji ada criterianya (probably fussy eater), so even though friskies is lower quality, there is some appetiser yg lower grade foods manufacturer coat their kibbles with (some meat juice) to make the cat want to eat all the high grain and filler food. That is why if you cuci the kibbles with water (rinse of the coating) and then give them to the cats, they turn up their noses! Which smart carnivore wants to eat filler?

Yes, indoor tak payah deworm 3 bulan sekali, just taxing the liver ....

You mention dia suka makan ikan but not all types of fish. I have a cat like that too. Tapi nasib baik, dia makan dia punya RC kibbles healthily. Ikan apa yang Mokmok suka makan? Tenggiri? Tongkol? Sardine?

Have you tried giving her RC instead? Quality is pretty much the same except that one is mahal gila, but most cats eat it well (make sure the kibbles pack are fresh dan tak ada bocor angin keluar piuuuuunnnggggggg!)

June, you mention the vet gave her a clean bill of health ... it depends on how the vet arrived at that .... did he do a myriad comprehensive blood test and did he do any ultrasound? Or is it just normal palpitations and physical observations and said ok? Some vets simply say that and we go away with a false sense of security.

Hari tu my Alpha scratched and licked sampai berdarah and bulu hilang bertompok ... the first vet kata my girl is simply stressed (most likely by another cat!). Dia suruh saya make sure my lady is not stressed and she will recover.

Kepala otak dia ... I took my pretty lady to another vet who found satu ekor miserable mite dalam telinga dia under the microscope (that is why she scratched bawah telinga dia sampai kulit terkopek dan berdarah) and diagnosed the missing fur patches as some form of allergy developed. My pretty lady suka melawat the back lane of a couple of neighbours that kept several dogs and the maid suka kasi makan to my beautiful Alpha, so kawan selalu pergi kat sana like her second home during daytime when I am not at home! Kena Frontline Combo kan dia nie .....

Anyway, with 3 weekly treatments of Ivermectin, she is now on the good road to recovery!
Old 03-27-2009, 02:19 PM
Pets Are NOT Disposable

"... I dah buat blood test.dia ok. tp itu ceritanya last November. Ultrasound takde buatlah. do u think I should do ultrasound juga dan blood test sekali lagi?? ... "

Heheh!!! for all dat $$ (they don't come cheapy!) June might as well belanja ALL your cats on RC ... heheheheheh!!!

Tapi, seriously kan ... since dia boleh tala Purina dan RC ... and sardin dan kembung (this girl likes ikan kecik-kecik unlike my colleague's wife yg cuma suker ikan besar, yg kecik entah tak tau mcm mana, dia kata reminds her of ular!!), it is highly likely that our pretty lady is a finicky eater (many cats are).

Beli lah RC hanya utk dia ... to save cost, share the biggest pack with the mommy/daddy of another finicky eater ... RC diorang mesti ader letak candu kat kibbles diorang ...

June, ada gambar Mokmok tak? I want to see exactly how kurus she is ... for people who like plump cats, mereka kata kucing gemuk is slim-melim dan kucing that are actually nice and slim-melim mereka kata kurus ... is Mokmok really too thin?
Old 03-27-2009, 02:36 PM
Animal Lover

heheheh!! dalam cerita pun ko blh kenakan aku ye.

Ok,here I attached gambar Mokmok.dia betul tak gemuk.dia ringan je.Pokemon 5.2kg tp si Mokmok ni baru dlm 3kg je. I tak suka kucing yg obese.nampak cute tp mcm2 penyakit kita tak tau

ades!! nampak gaya kena beli RC jugalah nih just for herlah sebab yg lain tala suma apa dikasih.

Sorry Alya,abis your thread kita org hijack

Quote:
"... I dah buat blood test.dia ok. tp itu ceritanya last November. Ultrasound takde buatlah. do u think I should do ultrasound juga dan blood test sekali lagi?? ... "

Heheh!!! for all dat $$ (they don't come cheapy!) June might as well belanja ALL your cats on RC ... heheheheheh!!!

Tapi, seriously kan ... since dia boleh tala Purina dan RC ... and sardin dan kembung (this girl likes ikan kecik-kecik unlike my colleague's wife yg cuma suker ikan besar, yg kecik entah tak tau mcm mana, dia kata reminds her of ular!!), it is highly likely that our pretty lady is a finicky eater (many cats are).

Beli lah RC hanya utk dia ... to save cost, share the biggest pack with the mommy/daddy of another finicky eater ... RC diorang mesti ader letak candu kat kibbles diorang ...

June, ada gambar Mokmok tak? I want to see exactly how kurus she is ... for people who like plump cats, mereka kata kucing gemuk is slim-melim dan kucing that are actually nice and slim-melim mereka kata kurus ... is Mokmok really too thin?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Mokmok.jpg
Views:	163
Size:	43.6 KB
ID:	4102   Click image for larger version

Name:	Mokmok2.jpg
Views:	188
Size:	85.0 KB
ID:	4103  
Old 03-27-2009, 03:11 PM
Pets Are NOT Disposable

Adoi, June, the angle of the shots tak nampak dia gemuk/kurus ... tak nampak waistline dan pe-ot ...

Acu ambik shots mcm nie ...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	B61BRN001.jpg
Views:	49
Size:	36.1 KB
ID:	4107   Click image for larger version

Name:	B61BRN003.jpg
Views:	59
Size:	37.8 KB
ID:	4108   Click image for larger version

Name:	B61BRN005.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	38.0 KB
ID:	4109  
Old 03-27-2009, 03:17 PM
Pets Are NOT Disposable

... atau mcm nie ...
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	B66GNR01.jpg
Views:	50
Size:	38.6 KB
ID:	4110   Click image for larger version

Name:	B66GNRMML01.jpg
Views:	55
Size:	38.3 KB
ID:	4111   Click image for larger version

Name:	B66MML02.jpg
Views:	57
Size:	37.9 KB
ID:	4112  
Old 03-27-2009, 03:17 PM
Animal Lover

aiseymen,I takde gambar yg nampak perut dan waistline.amik gambar dia candid nih.nanti balik I try amik gambar nampak perut dan waistline.

Quote:
Adoi, June, the angle of the shots tak nampak dia gemuk/kurus ... tak nampak waistline dan pe-ot ...

Acu ambik shots mcm nie ...
Old 03-27-2009, 03:23 PM
Pets Are NOT Disposable

Her coat is not so luxurious looking, I think sebab her eating problems. June cuba kasi dia 1 brewers yeast tablet per day, it will help her coat and selera as well.
Old 03-27-2009, 03:30 PM
Animal Lover

ok,kat petsmore ada jual brewer yeast.ada few forumers kat sini ada bg kucing durang mkn.yeah,I kasih dia mkn dan tgk mcm mana perkembangan dia.

Quote:
Her coat is not so luxurious looking, I think sebab her eating problems. June cuba kasi dia 1 brewers yeast tablet per day, it will help her coat and selera as well.
Old 03-27-2009, 11:56 PM
Meow

Quote:

Hmm..I thought when there's a soreness in the mouth and gum they'd be very moody? Because Oreo pun pernah bengkak gusi dia, and he was very very moody. It went away a couple of days thankfully.

I'll check tomorrow..she tends to be very rowdy at night lagi2 nak suluh torchlight and all. ;-;

Physically she looks fine, no injuries nor there's anyone who - I know of - terrorizing her. Temperature is as usual (from just feeling her body with my hands).

She's still eating wetfood today.

Quote:
a.lya punya kucing refused the dry kibbles but ate half a can of food ... so that means the cat was very hungry and could eat, tapi would not eat the dry kibbles
Furkid, normally she eats that much when we feed her the same can of cat food.