Go

Go Back   PetFinder.my > The Animal Corner > Cats & Kittens > Training & Behavioral Issues

Training & Behavioral Issues Does your cat have an attitude, or just simply refuses to listen to you? Share it with your peers here and learn more about a cat's behavior and training methods

Old 11-13-2008, 02:05 PM
Petfinder Moderator

blackie007 has disabled reputation
Default Re: Im so upset today!

Bell,

We don't hate you for your opinion. Relax. But you are a dog person, right? There is a huge difference between dogs and cats. Cats are not small little dogs. They are a different species, with different mentality altogether.

What pakcu said is right. Strays and domestics are different in their characteristics, too. The only home that the strays know is the street. Even then, they have their own territory and their own 'nest' where they return to when they need to rest and sleep.

The lifespan of a stray, incidentally is between 3 and 5 years. They don't live longer than that. The lifespan of a domestic, healthy cat can be up to 20 years, or at least, 13 years! Yup, you'll have your baby for at least 13 years, or 20 years, hopefully.

Domestic cats are not street-smart. They can't survive on the streets. If a domestic cat got lost or is thrown out, chances of it surviving on the streets is slim.

Why? Because the stray cats there have already marked their territory, and would not welcome an additional cat into it, as more mouths means less food for them.

So, anyone who wants to keep a domestic cat must be responsible and keep it indoors at all times. Take it out for a walk if you must, but put it on a cat leash (more secure than dog leash) and never leave it unaccompanied.
Old 11-13-2008, 02:13 PM
Animal Lover

June is on a distinguished road
Default Im so upset today!

yes,you read my mind Charlene

Attention to pet owner!!!especially cats.pls don't let your cats wandering around without supervision.Pls remember,cats are like 5 yrs old kid.I bet you won't let your 5 yrs old kids jalan2 outside by themselves,do u??

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackie007 View Post
Bell,

We don't hate you for your opinion. Relax. But you are a dog person, right? There is a huge difference between dogs and cats. Cats are not small little dogs. They are a different species, with different mentality altogether.

What pakcu said is right. Strays and domestics are different in their characteristics, too. The only home that the strays know is the street. Even then, they have their own territory and their own 'nest' where they return to when they need to rest and sleep.

The lifespan of a stray, incidentally is between 3 and 5 years. They don't live longer than that. The lifespan of a domestic, healthy cat can be up to 20 years, or at least, 13 years! Yup, you'll have your baby for at least 13 years, or 20 years, hopefully.

Domestic cats are not street-smart. They can't survive on the streets. If a domestic cat got lost or is thrown out, chances of it surviving on the streets is slim.

Why? Because the stray cats there have already marked their territory, and would not welcome an additional cat into it, as more mouths means less food for them.

So, anyone who wants to keep a domestic cat must be responsible and keep it indoors at all times. Take it out for a walk if you must, but put it on a cat leash (more secure than dog leash) and never leave it unaccompanied.
Old 11-13-2008, 02:21 PM
PetFinder Guru

nik_tropicana is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by June View Post
yes,you read my mind Charlene

Attention to pet owner!!!especially cats.pls don't let your cats wandering around without supervision.Pls remember,cats are like 5 yrs old kid.I bet you won't let your 5 yrs old kids jalan2 outside by themselves,do u??
n 1 more thing, stay away your cat from esculator..very very dangerous..
Old 11-13-2008, 02:31 PM
Vivien Wuz Ere

Location: Earth - where every human beings have to live together with animals
vivienlpl is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Hi Vivien,

It's not true that cats want their freedom and wish to roam around and that it is cruel to confine them.

Confining a cat, to me, means locking the cat up in a cage. Now, THAT is cruel. But if your cat has freedom to go anywhere in your home, sleep anywhere it likes, basically, has the same kind of freedom that you have in your own home, but does not go outdoors, that is freedom. It is not cruel to keep them indoors.

My Blackie is very happy indoors. It is hard to take him out for walks. The most he'll do is sit outside the gate for a while and then come back in.

And it's a lot safer. Who knows what type of crazy people our cats will meet if they roam around on their own, or get bitten by dogs or knocked down by cars. Not to mention the posion that pakcu's friend's cat got imbibed.

So, IMHO, it's definitely the cat owner's fault for letting the poor cat kena racun. Poor cat.
your blackie is happy indoor heheee

my friends who have cats..they like outdoor
even they are not confine...
they still wants to go out........
cats are born natural hunter, curious..
your blackie exceptional le hahahaa did you 360 turn your cat characteristic..

some are ok with home roaming..
some go out............. they still come back
some go out.... can never find their way back.....funny
but what happen outside - we really dont know...
Old 11-13-2008, 03:00 PM
Petfinder Moderator

Yup, blackie prefers indoors than outdoors. You are right that cats are natural hunters, therefore it's important to provide plenty of toys & games in the home to stimulate the cat.

I have a clockwork mouse where you turn the key and it will run around for Blackie to hunt and chase it down. And of course, those soft, dangling cat-teasers on fishing rods for them to catch and chase. I also have that bubble thingy (don't know what it's called) where you dip a wand into the liquid that has catnip in it. You blow the bubbles and the cat will chase after it. blackie seems fascinated that when he pokes at those bubbles, they "disappear".

And put around the home cat tree, cat tunnel, scratching posts, etc., so that they have something to occupy their interest at all times, even if you don't have time to play with them.

So....domestic cats can be happy just being indoors if there're enough activities to occupy their interest.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vivienlpl View Post

Old 11-13-2008, 03:37 PM
Banned

ashleywong is on a distinguished road

hi all

i got loads of toys for my cats only to discover they still like the most basic of tosy - those we can DIY at home. i bought like about 5 wand toys for my cat and they broke it like in 5 minutes after i got it out of the wrapper.

oh, soap bubbles - that sounds nice - but it's seems so expensive for some that is over with just 1 use. i have a small remote control car that i played with them - they lost interest in it so quickly

now their interest is hunting lizards indoors - that is acceptable to me as long as they don't eat it

but they sure have sharp eyesight
Old 11-13-2008, 03:42 PM
Petfinder Moderator

oh yes, lizards. at my old home there were lizards, and blackie would have loads of fun hunting it & teasing it by poking at it and then letting it go to chase it down again.

unfortunately, my new home does not have any lizards. maybe i should get some from your home?
Old 11-13-2008, 06:23 PM
Banned

abgraldo is an unknown quantity at this point

Quote:

not really, it's up to the cat owner what sort of cat they want - indoor/outdoor
true to some, but I dare not risk my cats wondering outside without supervision.. like you say, we really dont know what happen outside
yup, but im raising domestic cats, not strays.. they can always hunting lizards and battery operated mouse inside
not really, its due to the training and what sort of cat u want to raise
not some, almost all indoor cats are ok with home roaming, unless u train ur indoor cats behave like strays and roaming outside
yup, but will u be ok if they come back half dead, with disease, cuts all over?
not funny when it's due to injuries, accident, murdered... seriously, it's not funny at all for me
yup, but some still can have a good sleep knowing their cats roaming freely outside, definitely not me cause Im raising domestic cats and will do my best to avoid any untoward incident against my cats
peace to all..
Old 11-13-2008, 08:47 PM
Animal Lover

Pakcu,I'm with you on this.Even my mum's cat in KK are confined within our compound only.she can play police n thief with my mum's chicken,climbing pokok jambu and rambutan,guling2 atas rumput.All within our house compound.tak blh kuar lebih dari tu.my mum kata,takut kena gigit anjing,kena langgar and worst kena kidnap.dulu my mum's cat si Robin pun org catnap even he was inside the compound.just imaginelah klu diluar.

Klu my mum nak kuar berjalan ke KL lawat kita org kat sini,my sister will come and fetch the cat and bring the the cat back to her house smp my mum balik KK.

Quote:
Originally Posted by abgraldo View Post
peace to all..
Old 11-13-2008, 09:01 PM
PetFinder Guru

BellXun is on a distinguished road
Smile Re: Im so upset today!

Yeap,seems very reasonable. :) .
I guess I am feeding my puppy and a stray cat. my dog food dissapier regardless if my puppy is near the bowl or not. hehehe. The Strays they come and eat, but they dont stay. hmmm... anyway.. if its domesticated, then leash them is better :).

Blakie have soooo many toys, nowonder he/she wont be bored. lucky cat. those strays here always have a bored face. hahaha.

Its sad some exprience road kill. its both's fault, and no ones fault at the same time. Cant blame the driver cant blame the dog.
Old 11-13-2008, 09:10 PM
Vivien Wuz Ere

Quote:
peace to all..
i see thanks for sharing...
so if those like they keep the cats...........
i know it could definitely belong to someone - those fat ones with collar...
so it is very risky...to have cat left roaming around.....even on the garden/porch?

something new to me that i did not know cats - i mean those home bound are actually encourage to be confine inside the house
Old 11-13-2008, 11:21 PM
Petfinder Moderator

If you've been feeding a stray cat, you might notice that it knows when food will be served. They learned very quickly and would be waiting for you, either visible or hiding somewhere.

But after eating, they will go back to their 'nest' where they feel safe & secure.

hehehe....Bell, cats generally have a "bored" face, hahaha. Their tongues don't hang out like a dog. To know whether they're bored or not, look at their eyes, tail and body language. The cat's eyes do have a twinkle when they're happy and mischievous.

And when they are interested or curious about something, the tip of their tail slowly swishes like a snake. Just the tip, ok. If the whole tail is thrashing, then the cat is angry.

Quote:
Originally Posted by BellXun View Post
Yeap,seems very reasonable. :) .
I guess I am feeding my puppy and a stray cat. my dog food dissapier regardless if my puppy is near the bowl or not. hehehe. The Strays they come and eat, but they dont stay. hmmm... anyway.. if its domesticated, then leash them is better :).

Blakie have soooo many toys, nowonder he/she wont be bored. lucky cat. those strays here always have a bored face. hahaha.

Its sad some exprience road kill. its both's fault, and no ones fault at the same time. Cant blame the driver cant blame the dog.
yup, vivien, we encourage our cats to be home bound...the whole home is theirs, including our beds, pillows, sofas, etc. Thanks for understanding us and why we want it this way, to safeguard our cats.

Quote:
i see thanks for sharing...
so if those like they keep the cats...........
i know it could definitely belong to someone - those fat ones with collar...
so it is very risky...to have cat left roaming around.....even on the garden/porch?

something new to me that i did not know cats - i mean those home bound are actually encourage to be confine inside the house
Old 11-14-2008, 10:24 AM
Vivien Wuz Ere

Quote:

yup, vivien, we encourage our cats to be home bound...the whole home is theirs, including our beds, pillows, sofas, etc. Thanks for understanding us and why we want it this way, to safeguard our cats.
that's good........ but what about stray
i mean some ppl pick and adopt stray cats

should also they be comfine........because their nature and some breed of cats are different...
Old 11-14-2008, 01:55 PM
Animal Lover

Viv,I'm speaking on behalf of my strays that turn into my house cat.They decided wants to be my house cat without me forcing them.he!!he!! When I open my apartment door,they rushed into my house.I shoo shoo them out from my apartment,the just sit and not even moving (I'm using they referring to mommy cat Putih and kitten Belang).until now occasionally I purposely open the door for them,but they just sit and look at me without wanting to go out.so I guess they have enough of street life and wants to stay inside having all the luxury.No more street life for them.

Quote:

should also they be comfine........because their nature and some breed of cats are different...
Old 11-14-2008, 04:17 PM
Banned

Quote:

Dear Vivien,
I believe u still think cats ought to be free, roaming the street, hunting outside because it's their nature, and u still think confining cats is sort of cruel. I dont know wether u have had cats before or currently having cats, but let me just say this :-
If you adopt stray and let them roaming outside of house compound - NO, YOU'RE NOT ADOPTING STRAY - YOU'RE ACTUALLY RAISING STRAYS!
Raising stray cats : There's no such thing is responsible. Some might think, by just feeding them, they have justified their responsibility. NO - you only contribute to increase strays population, unhealthier environment, increase roadkills.
Im upset, because this very same of thought (cats are not to be confined at home), are still practised at large by cat owners and only contribute to the above problems. This people for me not raising strays/domestic cats but raising more n more problems. Shame on you! cat owner/cat lovers if what u've done is just feeding them and let them roaming the street unsupervised.
Old 11-14-2008, 05:03 PM
Puppet Master~

chemonk is an unknown quantity at this point

huhu.. so hot meh here.. hahaha... anyway.. the key word to this issue is "education"... <--- hahahaha... matila aku sendiri pun tatau nak explain secara terperinci..
Old 11-14-2008, 05:24 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemonk View Post
huhu.. so hot meh here.. hahaha... anyway.. the key word to this issue is "education"... <--- hahahaha... matila aku sendiri pun tatau nak explain secara terperinci..
Yeaah.. sad, some still refuse to be educated and `suaku'
Old 11-14-2008, 05:41 PM
Vivien Wuz Ere

Quote:
Dear Vivien,
I believe u still think cats ought to be free, roaming the street, hunting outside because it's their nature, and u still think confining cats is sort of cruel. I dont know wether u have had cats before or currently having cats, but let me just say this :-
If you adopt stray and let them roaming outside of house compound - NO, YOU'RE NOT ADOPTING STRAY - YOU'RE ACTUALLY RAISING STRAYS!
Raising stray cats : There's no such thing is responsible. Some might think, by just feeding them, they have justified their responsibility. NO - you only contribute to increase strays population, unhealthier environment, increase roadkills.
Im upset, because this very same of thought (cats are not to be confined at home), are still practised at large by cat owners and only contribute to the above problems. This people for me not raising strays/domestic cats but raising more n more problems. Shame on you! cat owner/cat lovers if what u've done is just feeding them and let them roaming the street unsupervised.
i didn't say that cats ought to be free....firstly i have no rights to say cats have to be free.... only assuming its cat's nature that maybe they want to be free...I'm not a cat owner myself...so i have no comment but only assumption.
you are definitely more experience in cats rather than me.

Please dont get me wrong of thinking confining cats is sort of cruel - i never say so.

I have not breed..nor keep a cat in my life yet.
I only have experience from people who has cats as their pet... with different cases of having their cats roaming around or even outside.
I have friends even from the village / kampung areas who has lots of cats and i dont see their cats confine at all - but freely roaming around....

some of them are stray
some of them are bought
some of them are special breed type
of course the special breed type you never get them roaming because there are priceless and they are particular of their cats whereabout.

speaking about stray cats, there is nothing wrong for a group of people feeding... like my case, if i can feed i will..but i cannot keep them. There will always be stray cats around and we cannot save every single one you see on the road.

I agree with you some owner - their cats end up road side dead or missing or did something but then again it depending on individual. Everyone has a different way of keeping a cat and you can never agree to all how they manage their pets. Cheer!
Old 11-14-2008, 06:01 PM
Puppet Master~

chemonk is an unknown quantity at this point

agreed vivi... like human also... we can never adopt poor starving african children... but what we can do is to donate anything that we afford of to them... same like cats.. different ppl got different principal.. not all feeders are promoting strays... they are so kind to give strays food even though not providing them shelter... sama mcm kasi derma itu peminta sedekah la... cant afford to allocate them a room.. huhu... kasi makan takpa... jgn pukul sudah la..
Old 11-14-2008, 06:50 PM
Banned

Quote:
i didn't say that cats ought to be free....firstly i have no rights to say cats have to be free.... only assuming its cat's nature that maybe they want to be free...I'm not a cat owner myself...so i have no comment but only assumption.
Yup, because u're not a cat owner , then stop making assumption about cats. Your assumption are misleading and dangerous. Perhaps u should ask for clarifications rather than making assumptions.

you are definitely more experience in cats rather than me.

Please dont get me wrong of thinking confining cats is sort of cruel - i never say so.
so at times it is not cruel to let your cat roam around - this is your statement, reverse it then u see why i thought so

I have not breed..nor keep a cat in my life yet.
I only have experience from people who has cats as their pet... with different cases of having their cats roaming around or even outside.
I have friends even from the village / kampung areas who has lots of cats and i dont see their cats confine at all - but freely roaming around....
They're raising strays!..

some of them are stray
some of them are bought
some of them are special breed type
of course the special breed type you never get them roaming because there are priceless and they are particular of their cats whereabout.
For me, and the rest of us here, all our cats are special breed type, they're special in our heart n part of our family - be it stray adopted, bought, special breed - would'nt risk them roaming outside unsupervised

speaking about stray cats, there is nothing wrong for a group of people feeding... like my case, if i can feed i will..but i cannot keep them. There will always be stray cats around and we cannot save every single one you see on the road.
Sad.. by just feeding actually u re feeding them to death!

I agree with you some owner - their cats end up road side dead or missing or did something but then again it depending on individual. Everyone has a different way of keeping a cat and you can never agree to all how they manage their pets.
Yeah.. we would like to think ourselves as reponsible owner and will strive to do what best for our family members - at the same time trying to educate, sharing and instill awareness to our friends on what best for our cats
Cheer!
Cheer to you too!

Last edited by abgraldo; 11-14-2008 at 07:52 PM.