Go

Go Back   PetFinder.my > The Animal Corner > Cats & Kittens > Health, Disease & Diet

Health, Disease & Diet Find out the best tips and practices on managing your cat's diet, health care, and issues with diseases from our community of animal lovers

Old 03-29-2011, 03:06 AM
PetFinder Guru

Marcelleve is on a distinguished road
Send a message via AIM to Marcelleve Send a message via Yahoo to Marcelleve Send a message via Skype™ to Marcelleve
Lightbulb CATS : Facts vs Myth of Toxoplasmosis Gondi

Had you notice mostly pregnant women had to raise their cats for adoption?
What is the reason behind? Health risks? In what form??
How can this be avoided?
My mother was pregnant with my young brother when I had my first kitten. She actually add more pets at home, one more kitten and 3 puppies which were all adopted. My mom thought I was a loner after she was busy with new baby coming soon.
Anyway, they were my 1st generation of adopted pets.

New moms are afraid of cats. They are afraid that it will cause the risks of their unborn child. They didn't know that by eating a raw veggie or fruits is already a health risk factor.

A cat with Toxoplasmosis Gondii - a parasite and not a virus or bacteria is the main factor why pregnant women cannot clean litter boxes.
It is allow for them to have pets.
Poor personal hygiene doesn't meet this standard unless of course you wash your hands with soap before eating.

This is important to remember when we discuss preventing infection.

Cats only pass T. gondii in their feces for a few weeks after becoming infected. The oocysts can survive several years in the environment and are resistant to most disinfectants.

The oocysts are ingested by intermediate hosts such as rodents and birds, or other animals such as dogs and humans, and migrate to the muscle and brain. When a cat eats an infected intermediate prey, the parasite is released in the cat's intestine and the life cycle can be repeated.

In any warm-blooded host, T. gondii can also be transmitted even through the unpasteurized milk even your favorite goat's milk.

What are the signs your pets get infected with T. gondii?
T. gondii can cause disease in cats and dogs; it is more frequently recognized in cats.
The signs of toxoplasmosis in pets are nonspecific: fever, loss of appetite, depression.
Further signs may occur depending on whether the infection is acute or chronic, and where T. gondii is found in the body. In the eye, it can cause inflammation; in the lungs, pneumonia; in the heart, arrhythmias; in the digestive tract, vomiting, diarrhea, abdominal pain, and jaundice; in the nervous system, seizures, paralysis and loss of nerve function; in muscle, a stiff gait and loss of muscle. Kittens may be born stillborn or very ill.

In summary, the main sources of infection for a cat are uncooked meat , infected prey, or as kittens in utero or through the milk.
Humans, dogs, and other mammals usually become infected through meat, raw milk from infected goats, and accidental ingestion of cat's fecal material from hands or on food.

Did you know cockroaches and flies may serve as transport hosts for T. gondii and other deadly diseases...
(who else to blame with dirty sewages and trash lying around the street.. cockroaches/flies are savages, aren't they?)

Animals should not be fed raw meat or bones and should not be allowed to scavenge through the garbage.
Since T. gondii can be found in unpasteurized goat's milk, pets should not be allowed to drink it.
Cats that can roam free outside can become infected through hunting prey such as mice and birds, so it is best to keep cats indoors.

Feces should be removed from the litter box daily and disposed of properly (incinerate or flush). Clean the litter boxes regularly with boiling or scalding water. Dogs should not be allowed to play with litter boxes used by your cats.

I have heard all kinds of stories about how people can get toxoplasmosis. What is the truth?
Neither people who own cats nor veterinarians have a significantly higher risk of being infected with T. gondii than the rest of the population.
In the United States, people are much more likely to become infected through eating raw meat than from handling cat feces.
People also become infected by eating unwashed fruits and vegetables.
Do not just focus on cats.
It is unlikely you will become infected by petting an infected cat. They do not tend to stick to the fur like roundworm eggs or flea might.
The cat, while grooming, would generally remove any oocysts on the fur, before they become infective.
It is unlikely that you can become infected through cat bites or scratches since only the virus called Rabies who inflict that to humans.

The higher affected by T.gondii are not by indoor cats but by cockroaches and flies. The people who love to eat salad and unsterilized fruits are prone of getting affected than the people who have cats at home.

Pregnant women should remember that in the United States alone, exposures of T. gondii through food are much more common than exposures from cat feces.
Pregnant women, and those planning to conceive, should check with their physicians to determine if they should be tested for exposure to T. gondii.

Do's and Don'ts for the prevention of toxoplasmosis of pregnant women.

1. Do not eat raw or undercooked meat. Meat should be cooked to a temperature of at least 160°F for 20 minutes.
2. Do not drink unpasteurized milk.
3. Do not eat unwashed fruits and vegetables.
4. Wash hands and food preparation surfaces with warm soapy water after handling raw meat.
5. Wear gloves when gardening. Wash hands after gardening.
6. Wash hands before eating (especially children).
7. Keep children’s sandboxes and playpens covered.
8. Do not drink water from the environment unless it is well filtered.
9. Do not feed raw meat or undercooked meat to cats. Also do not give them unpasteurized milk.
10. Do not allow cats to hunt or roam outside.
11. Do not allow cats to use a garden or children’s play area as their litter box.
12. Remove feces from the litter box daily and clean with boiling or scalding water weekly.
13. Control rodent populations and other potential intermediate hosts such as flies or cockroaches.
14. Pregnant women, and persons with suppressed immune systems, should not clean the litter box.

If your home is clean, your cats are indoor with good diet while someone else will take over to clean their litter boxes, please do not throw or raise your cats for adoption or for sale after many years making you smile.
Be sure to cover the fruits or leftover during the night, you cannot see your potential suspect is just hiding between your walls or ceilings.

Last edited by Marcelleve; 03-29-2011 at 03:17 AM.
Old 03-29-2011, 08:34 AM
PetFinder Guru

x-rulez is on a distinguished road
Default Re: CATS : Facts vs Myth of Toxoplasmosis Gondi

"9. Do not feed raw meat or undercooked meat to cats."

statement no 9 is scaring me because i feed my cat raw meat or what is called BARF food...but the parasite can still be prevented if you follow the guide in the catnutrition website as per below...am i true?

"The risk of contracting toxoplasmosis is misunderstood and frequently overblown. I'm not saying that it isn't a serious concern for women who are exposed for the first time during pregnancy, but let's look at the facts:
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) says that more than 60 million people in the United States may be already infected with the Toxoplasma parasite. That means 20 percent of us living in the US have already been infected. Of those who are infected, very few have symptoms because a healthy person's immune system usually keeps the parasite from causing illness.
The Association of Medical Microbiologists estimates that between one-quarter and one-half of the world's population is already infected. In the United Kingdom approximately 0.5 percent to one percent of the population acquires the infection each year, so that about 40 percent of people aged 50 or over have been infected.
If you are planning to become pregnant, you can be tested to learn whether or not you have already been infected with Toxoplasma. If the test is positive it means you have already been infected sometime in your life. According to the CDC, there usually is little need to worry about passing the infection to your baby if you've already been infected. If the test is negative, you definitely need to take precautions.
Here is the important part to remember about cats, their feces, and litter boxes: The problem comes from the oocyst, which is shed in the cat feces. A cat will ONLY SHED oocysts for ten to 14 days after his/her FIRST infection with toxoplasmosa. Even more important-- and often overlooked--is the fact that oocysts require 24-48 hours to sporulate, to grow into a form which is dangerous to people. This means if you clean your litter box at least twice a day, you have dramatically reduced the danger of infection from cat feces. Bear in mind that are still other sources of toxoplasmosis-- gardening, unsanitary handling of meat, (rarely) blood transfusions, insects, and earthworms.
Do the math here: in order to get infected from your cats' feces, the following would all have to be true: You were never previously infected with toxoplasmosis AND your cat would have had to have been exposed to her very first infection and shed the oocysts in her feces AND that shedding of oocysts would have had to occur within a specific ten to 14 day time frame AND you would have had to not clean the litter box for 24-48 hours AND you would have had to ingest some of the infected feces.

See why I say that the risk of toxoplasmosis is frequently misunderstood and overblown?

Believe me, I don't take the dangers of this condition lightly. It can be a very serious concern for certain people. But admonitions from some medical doctors to "get rid of your cat" without explaining the nature of the risk and the steps that can be taken to avoid or mitigate it do not tell the whole story.

Given the above, paying attention to hygiene and getting a handle on your vulnerability to toxoplasmosis makes good sense. If you're in a high-risk population, get yourself tested to determine whether you've already been exposed. Wash your hands and clean under your fingernails thoroughly after handling raw meat. or cleaning the litter box--this alone goes a long way to alleviating the risks of contracting toxoplasmosis. Wear rubber gloves when gardening and when cleaning the litter box. And clean the litter box at least twice a day."
Old 03-29-2011, 04:43 PM
PetFinder Guru

Send a message via AIM to Marcelleve Send a message via Yahoo to Marcelleve Send a message via Skype™ to Marcelleve

It is true if the resource you're getting is clean and fresh.
My mom's dogs and cats are also on BARF Diet. My mom used pure white vinegar to clean the meat.

Because T. gondii doesn't show symptoms to adult cats only kittens are more fragile only the vet can tell.

Those who are already knew and understand BARF diet and its guidelines well, they won't fear about T. Gondii.
A routine check up from vet is a must.

Quote:
Originally Posted by x-rulez View Post
"9. Do not feed raw meat or undercooked meat to cats."

statement no 9 is scaring me because i feed my cat raw meat or what is called BARF food...but the parasite can still be prevented if you follow the guide in the catnutrition website as per below...am i true?

"The risk of contracting toxoplasmosis is misunderstood and frequently overblown. I'm not saying that it isn't a serious concern for women who are exposed for the first time during pregnancy, but let's look at the facts:
The Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC) says that more than 60 million people in the United States may be already infected with the Toxoplasma parasite. That means 20 percent of us living in the US have already been infected. Of those who are infected, very few have symptoms because a healthy person's immune system usually keeps the parasite from causing illness.
The Association of Medical Microbiologists estimates that between one-quarter and one-half of the world's population is already infected. In the United Kingdom approximately 0.5 percent to one percent of the population acquires the infection each year, so that about 40 percent of people aged 50 or over have been infected.
If you are planning to become pregnant, you can be tested to learn whether or not you have already been infected with Toxoplasma. If the test is positive it means you have already been infected sometime in your life. According to the CDC, there usually is little need to worry about passing the infection to your baby if you've already been infected. If the test is negative, you definitely need to take precautions.
Here is the important part to remember about cats, their feces, and litter boxes: The problem comes from the oocyst, which is shed in the cat feces. A cat will ONLY SHED oocysts for ten to 14 days after his/her FIRST infection with toxoplasmosa. Even more important-- and often overlooked--is the fact that oocysts require 24-48 hours to sporulate, to grow into a form which is dangerous to people. This means if you clean your litter box at least twice a day, you have dramatically reduced the danger of infection from cat feces. Bear in mind that are still other sources of toxoplasmosis-- gardening, unsanitary handling of meat, (rarely) blood transfusions, insects, and earthworms.
Do the math here: in order to get infected from your cats' feces, the following would all have to be true: You were never previously infected with toxoplasmosis AND your cat would have had to have been exposed to her very first infection and shed the oocysts in her feces AND that shedding of oocysts would have had to occur within a specific ten to 14 day time frame AND you would have had to not clean the litter box for 24-48 hours AND you would have had to ingest some of the infected feces.

See why I say that the risk of toxoplasmosis is frequently misunderstood and overblown?

Believe me, I don't take the dangers of this condition lightly. It can be a very serious concern for certain people. But admonitions from some medical doctors to "get rid of your cat" without explaining the nature of the risk and the steps that can be taken to avoid or mitigate it do not tell the whole story.

Given the above, paying attention to hygiene and getting a handle on your vulnerability to toxoplasmosis makes good sense. If you're in a high-risk population, get yourself tested to determine whether you've already been exposed. Wash your hands and clean under your fingernails thoroughly after handling raw meat. or cleaning the litter box--this alone goes a long way to alleviating the risks of contracting toxoplasmosis. Wear rubber gloves when gardening and when cleaning the litter box. And clean the litter box at least twice a day."
Old 03-29-2011, 05:33 PM
PetFinder Guru

same goes to me...i used vinegar to clean all those meat...
my cat is a very very picky eater...dia akan mkn apa yg dia suke aje...
he really luv raw beef meat from my observation...x sampai seminit dh abis..
he dont like any canned food of any brand...pelik kan?
but i still worrying about this parasite...hope can switch him to a better diet...
Old 03-29-2011, 07:22 PM
PetFinder Guru

I think pet epicure is selling fresh and good quality meat. It is good for your cats actually because Taurine can be found naturally in raw meat.
Sama ngan anjing dan kucing kat rumah emak...semua minat makanan raw.
It is good to hear you clean it with vinegar. You just ask the vet to check ur cat's blood. Mak saya buat setiap tahun before their annual vaccination.
So far, all of them are doin' fine. Yang satu, already 5 years on BARF diet, sekarang umur dah 9 tahun. Oki je as long as you monitor his health, he is fine.

Quote:
same goes to me...i used vinegar to clean all those meat...
my cat is a very very picky eater...dia akan mkn apa yg dia suke aje...
he really luv raw beef meat from my observation...x sampai seminit dh abis..
he dont like any canned food of any brand...pelik kan?
but i still worrying about this parasite...hope can switch him to a better diet...
Old 03-30-2011, 08:00 AM
PetFinder Guru

yup thanx for your advise...i dh try pink raw food from pet epicure...
but that time only lamb meat is available and my cat doesnt really like it...
dh try ayam rebus pun tak suka gak...susah betul la cat yg picky eater ni...
kalau kucing stray kat luar tu belasah aje apa yg i bg...
dh makin debab plak kucing kat luar tu tp kucing i gak yg slim
even dh neutered
Old 03-30-2011, 05:26 PM
PetFinder Guru

My pleasure dear....
My BSH also don't like lamb but I put olive oil with litle bit sweet potato as gravy...she gooble everything up. hehehe...ur cat is very healthy lah... all my kitties are not fat at all, eating pure meat only with 1% veggie (celery or parsley or rosemary leaves) tapi tengok lah breed dia jugak ade breeed cobbly, short, slim n long tapi berat sangat etc...my burmese is slimmer than my DMH/DLH mix... tapi saya ingat yang mix lagi berat sebab big bone but then kalau orang nak angkat Burmese saya ,banyak orang memang terkejut how heavy she is... she is really heavy for her tiny size . Orang pun ingat dia tu masih anak kucing I dont usually pick them up becoz the other one will get jealous. She and her adapted sister always comes and sit on top of my lap, on my stomach or beside me. So I don't know the difference. Both of them are always around me and must eat/play/sleep at the same time... Both of them are heavy but not fat because they are hyperactive cats as well.

I think your cat is healthy. Because if you give your cat the best natural food, tu lah nasib kita 2 orang - less hair-fall less belanja banyak...supplements and all kurang lah... just vitamin, nutri-coat and brewer's yeast je for 4 months now... tak beli2x baru lagi sebab belum habis. hehehe

Quote:
yup thanx for your advise...i dh try pink raw food from pet epicure...
but that time only lamb meat is available and my cat doesnt really like it...
dh try ayam rebus pun tak suka gak...susah betul la cat yg picky eater ni...
kalau kucing stray kat luar tu belasah aje apa yg i bg...
dh makin debab plak kucing kat luar tu tp kucing i gak yg slim
even dh neutered

Last edited by Marcelleve; 03-30-2011 at 05:31 PM.
Old 03-31-2011, 09:07 AM
PetFinder Guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcelleve View Post
My pleasure dear....
My BSH also don't like lamb but I put olive oil with litle bit sweet potato as gravy...she gooble everything up. hehehe...ur cat is very healthy lah... all my kitties are not fat at all, eating pure meat only with 1% veggie (celery or parsley or rosemary leaves) tapi tengok lah breed dia jugak ade breeed cobbly, short, slim n long tapi berat sangat etc...my burmese is slimmer than my DMH/DLH mix... tapi saya ingat yang mix lagi berat sebab big bone but then kalau orang nak angkat Burmese saya ,banyak orang memang terkejut how heavy she is... she is really heavy for her tiny size . Orang pun ingat dia tu masih anak kucing I dont usually pick them up becoz the other one will get jealous. She and her adapted sister always comes and sit on top of my lap, on my stomach or beside me. So I don't know the difference. Both of them are always around me and must eat/play/sleep at the same time... Both of them are heavy but not fat because they are hyperactive cats as well.

I think your cat is healthy. Because if you give your cat the best natural food, tu lah nasib kita 2 orang - less hair-fall less belanja banyak...supplements and all kurang lah... just vitamin, nutri-coat and brewer's yeast je for 4 months now... tak beli2x baru lagi sebab belum habis. hehehe
yeah i think he is healthy too because looking at his behavior always being playfull all the time...and body dia nampak cam ada muscle, tegap and pejal...hehe..i think bcoz of eating meat lah...cuma takut dia lonely sbb he is the only cat that i have buat masa sekarang ni....